Kenya Satellite News Network

Let Kenyans in Diaspora support one another and not be quick to share stories of their misfortune

May 04
13:34 2017

By Njeeri Kez

Kenyans in the diaspora….. We are failing each other. When one of us gets in the murk of things with the law, it is our duty to be ambassadors of the truth. If the said person is guilty or not, we are so far from home that it is our duty to support the families left behind in whatever way possible.

For us to share widely pictures and stories of allegations and then put in our fertile imaginations as contributing chat topics is just out of line. Some of us put names and details of deaths online even before families in Kenya are notified. STOP! Let’s wait for the rule of law and due process on matters still in court. Even if you do not respect the alleged perpetrators, at least respect their families. We know how our community is small.

Everyone knows everyone. These people have wives, children and close relatives who then have to deal with the aftermath of these online character obliterations that inadvertently spill over because of their relationships. Have you ever stopped to think of what that would do to someone looking to build their lives afterwards if found innocent and the first thing that comes up on their name search is such online vitriol?

If we’re going to report on issues, please let us be sensitive of the domino effects. Also, let us make sure that if we absolutely have to share that we are sharing facts and truth only, and not what we think the facts and truth should be. When we contribute to discussions on such, please remember that their families are here in these social media streets.

No one would want to be held hostage by the actions of another person even if that person is a family member. Please be careful of who you interact with, who you trust, who you bring into your circle and please please PLEASE do not drive drunk. Let us all jealously guard our integrity, our dignity, our dreams, our children’s well being. We are so far from home let’s be our brother’s keepers. Have a blessed end week.

Below are some of the reactions on Facebook:

Kell Njoki I agree offcourse partially . I think you should also address the families that “we are protecting”. What are they telling the news media, bloggers?? Are you just putting your family crisis out there? If you are caught in a disaster like mentioned above hold back for a minute or months before commenting. Sometimes news come from your own family.
I’ve been in situations where people talkedddddddddd buttttttttt no one had published anything without my consent. Was I contacted? Absolutely!!! Did I agree to putting my family on media hellllll no!!
That last part I it KNOW your circle. Social media will break you or make you. And we have to understand just coz 5-10 of us share news (like I do) don’t mean we are not supporting sometimes people are raising awareness. Shi* happens no man is an island ~~~~~~~ that DUI I will not even comment .
LikeShow more reactions

· Reply · 2 hrs

Njeeri Kez
Njeeri Kez Kell Njoki I cannot control what anyone else decides to do or not to do. However, I can be empathetic enough to respect those who are going through a tough time by virtue of their being related to others regardless of whichever side they’re on, accused or victim, guilty or innocent. As of your point on raising awareness, what awareness is being raised by sharing a mugshot?
LikeShow more reactions

· Reply ·

· 1 hr · Edited

Kell Njoki
Kell Njoki Posting others Mugshot is being malicious!!!! It’s public information but no one needs to post others mugshot~~~~ . ……….. reason I said I agree and don’t agree some shares are not hurtful how we respond or comments makes the difference. All in all we are becoming a generation of sensitivity that we are ignoring things that are hurting us and our future generation in names of “let’s keep it cool”… a lady up there talked about DUI for example no families want to go through that does that mean we can’t discuss that?? Alcohol abuse? We hurt including my family does that mean I can’t share my views?? It’s all on how we do it…………. social media comments you have to chose what to take in and what to ignore. I last about 6 months have seen the rape cases within our community and am just like is this new or social media shares has got me into seeing more of this cases?? ‍♀️‍♀️ now am aware to continueeeeeee adding on that list of not trusting even my own with girls
LikeShow more reactions

· Reply · 1 hr · Edited

Njeeri Kez
Njeeri Kez Kell Njoki apples and oranges. We need to discuss issues that affect us as a community but that DOESN’T include other people’s specific legal issues, complete with mugshots and details. Start a conversation on alcoholism and I’ll gladly contribute. Post an article on alleged rape and have people speculate on all kinds of crass details and gloat on how they’re not behind bars and you lose me on your argument.
LikeShow more reactions

· Reply ·

· 1 hr

Kell Njoki
Kell Njoki Welllll there is that group that thinks it’s an island ~~~~~~~ you either learn from them or ignore them. Their mugshot might be around the corner. ‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️. Just saying we are quick to say we are perfect till hell breaks .
LikeShow more reactions

· Reply · 1 hr · Edited

Lilian Raquel
Lilian Raquel I think it’s one thing to share a mug shot and another to criticize it as what is going on with “us” type of mentality that is already labeling the situation along with the group of people. That doesn’t come off as it’s being a genuine perspective coz what is the point of posting it if it’s not to rectify and edify the situation. It’s like opening a line of anyone to judge label the individual without any basis of knowing his side of the story. That is what irks me all in the name of ” I care for us” that’s bs. I truly truly agree with ur point Njeeri Kez!! Nkt!
LikeShow more reactions

Njeeri Kez
Njeeri Kez Done love

· Reply · 1 hr

Bmj Muriithi

Write a reply…

Mackenzie Ithe Wa Ndung'u
Mackenzie Ithe Wa Ndung’u I couldn’t agree more.

Isaac Kuria
Isaac Kuria Well articulated. Be well Njeeri Kez. Good job!

Njoroge Wa Ngige
Njoroge Wa Ngige Hatuskii la mwadhini wala la mteka maji kisimani. Mbona tusijengane kwa mambo ya uchumi. Kwanini tukimbie wakati maji yamezoleka. Tuungane tufanye biashara, kwani tulikuja majuu tuvurugane Na masaibu na hisia zisizo tupeleka mbele. Tuanzishe benki za Diaspora Na kadhalika…hayo ndio maendeleo muhimu Na ya dhati. Jengana kikazi, tuwe busy kehesabu dollar Na sio umbea …Mengine ni mtodogoo tugange ya Kweli. Walokosa waombe msamaha tusonge mbele. Mungu tuangazie. samngige.blogspot.com

Shadows of Life