Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Miguna speaks to Daily Nation’s Chris Wamalwa, gives a detailed account of his ordeal with Kenyan police

Published

on

Self-declared National Resistance Movement (NRM) “general” Miguna Miguna who was recently banished to Canada has said that plans are underway for his return to Kenya that has branded him persona non grata.

In an exclusive interview with Nation in his law offices in Toronto Canada over the weekend, the fiery lawyer who on January 30 participated in the “swearing-in” of opposition leader Raila Odinga as the people’s president, Dr Miguna said nothing, not even President Uhuru Kenyatta would prevent him from returning home to continue advocating for electoral justice.

 

 

ORDERS

“I’ve just received reports that Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto are saying that it doesn’t matter how many orders I obtain. I may obtain a million orders but they will never allow me back to Kenya. My message to Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto is this, Kenya does not belong to you and I’ll be back. Sorry,” he said.

Prodded further on when he will return home, Mr. Miguna said, “As soon as I can go. I know my wife will not be happy to hear that but some of these things you have to decide how you want to live your life and the legacy you want to leave behind. As we speak, my lawyers have filed a petition today.”

COURT PETITION

He said his team of lawyers has moved to the High Court to seek his exoneration from claims that he had been deported so that he can return to Kenya as quickly as possible.

“As we speak, my lawyers filed a petition today in the High Court seeking to invalidate the purported decision of withdrawing my citizenship,” Dr Miguna said.

Calling on the international community to intensify pressure on the Kenyan government to respect the rule of law and press freedom, Dr Miguna said western governments that purport to be champions of democracy, accountability and press freedom have tended to pay lip service to the importance of these values when it comes to Africa and other third world countries.

“These so-called western government should do more than just paying lip service to these things,” he added.

Dr Miguna said his recent altercation with the government should serve as a wakeup call for the people in diaspora to take keen interest in what is going on back at home.

He said his message to the diaspora is to remain organised, focused and fearless.

“Understand that Kenya belongs to all of us,” he added.

Source: Nation.co.ke

Continue Reading
Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Kenyan born human rights activist ("Newton")

    February 11, 2018 at 11:18 am

    Lawyer Miguna Miguna is an Old Kenyan Human Activist who was very active in Kenya in the 80s and in the 90s. What he and others were against in those days, persist up to this day. What would stop him from challenging and from engaging the Kenya Government today? Polite challenge and engagement of the Kenya Government to govern well has taken many years. Today, Kenya is loosing Ksh 608 billion to corruption every year as the Kenya Army, the Kenya Civil Servants, the Teachers and the Kenya Police continue to suffer from meager pay, as the Kenya Government continue with its usual silence. The inflation has continued to rise, resulting to the high rocket of the prizes of essential commodities, and the Kenya debt has continued to climb high.
    Different methods and different languages should be applied in order to put the Kenya Government on its heels in so that the Nation can be saved. Lawyer Miguna Miguna is using one of the methods and or one of the languages to wake up the sleeping Kenya Government. May it be known to Lawyer Miguna Miguna that he is on the right path and he should put more efforts in what he is doing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Seven Kenyans sue government seeking to have their passports back

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

Seven Kenyans  on Monday sued the Immigration department chief Gordon Kihalangwa and Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i demanding to have their travel documents back.

This followed a directive that suspended their passports two weeks ago.

They include Nasa strategist Dr David Ndii, Siaya Senator James Orengo, Dagoretti North MP Simba Arati, businessman Jimi Wanjigi, University of Nairobi lecturer Dr Adams Oloo, lawyer Paul Mwangi and Mr Henry Mien who is a member of the Opposition’s strategy team.

In their plaint filed at a Nairobi court, the seven say they were informed through a letter dated February 5 that their passports would be suspended or confiscated after which the government made good the the threat.

They argue that  the move has unreasonably restricted their movement.

Their lawyer, Jackson Awele, says they were not granted a fair hearing hence their rights have been grossly violated.

“The impugned restriction is otherwise tantamount to a condemnation of guilt based on unilateral suppositions of the Immigration director and the Interior CS without a hearing,” said Mr Awele.

“It is only fair and just that this court expeditiously intervenes to secure as well as preserve their rights and freedoms as guaranteed under the Constitution, pending the determination of this case.”

A crackdown by the government targeting members of the Coalition has intensified in the last two weeks following the swearing in opposition leader, Raila Odinga. Lawyer Miguna Miguna, who claims to be the general of proscribed National Resistance Movement (NRM-Kenya) and who has admitted to commissioning Mr Odinga’s oath, has since been deported to Canada.

The government has seized about 15 passports belonging to NASA luminaries.

Continue Reading

News

Former Kenyan TV presenter Louis Otieno goes deaf

Published

on

Former television news anchor Lious Otieno has appealed for financial help to enable him undergo specialized treatment to regain his hearing. The family has revealed that Lious Otieno, who worked for a number of TV stations including KTN, KBC and Citizen, suffers from acute pancreatitis.

The journalist has been in and out of hospital over the past few years.  The Louis Otieno Medical Fund was launched on Friday by a committee formed to raise funds to help in offsetting the medical bills. The committee said Louis lost his hearing while in hospital.

“Efforts to get his hearing fixed including using hearing aids have not been successful,” it said. “During this period, he has not been able to engage in any gainful income generating activities which has been strenuous for him and family.”

The only way his hearing can be fixed is by having a procedure undertaken in India called Cochlear implant. A cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing in both ears; as of 2014 they had been used experimentally in some people who had acquired deafness in one ear after learning how to speak.

Cochlear implants bypass the normal hearing process; they have a sound processor that resides on the outside of the skin (and generally worn behind the ear) which contains microphones, electronics, battery, and a coil which transmits a signal to the implant. The implant has a coil to receive signals, electronics, and an array of electrodes which is placed into the cochlea, which stimulate the cochlear nerve.

“The cost of this very needed surgery is quite high and hence our reaching out to friends, well-wishers, former peers and anyone who feels moved to support this man get his life back again,” the committee says.

Louis-Otieno-medical-fund Former TV presenter Louis Otieno goes deaf

Otieno has not been in good health for the past four years. In 2014, images of a frail Lious at Matter Hospital appeared on social media, which left many wondering what had happened to him.

At the time, Louis, the son of long-time radio presenter Elizabeth Omollo, was battling alcoholism.

 

LOUIS OTIENO MEDICAL FUND APPEAL

The committee, family and friends of Louis Otieno would like to inform you of the official launch of Louis Otieno Medical Funds Drive. As you all may be aware Louis has been unwell and in and out of hospital being treated for acute pancreatitis. During one of his admissions, Louis lost his hearing while in hospital. Efforts to get his hearing fixed including using hearing Aids have not been successful. During this period, he has not been able to engage in any gainful income generating activities which has been straineous for him and family.

After consultations with doctors, it was agreed that the only way the hearing could be fixed was by having a procedure undertaken in India called Cochlear implant.

The cost of this very needed surgery is quite high and hence our reaching out to friends, wellwishers, former peers and anyone who feels moved to support this man get his life back again.

A pay bill number has been opened (LOUIS ARMSTRONG OTIENO.Paybill Number 333957) and is active so you can send your donations directly to the paybill. The committee is also planning a harambee to support Louis. We all know of the great work he did in media and we wish to see him continue this good work.

Join us in the initiative to help Louis Otieno gain his hearing back again!

Thank you all in advance for responding to this call and may God bless you.

Sincerely

Committee of Louis Otieno Medical Fund.

……………………………….

Troubled career

Louis Otieno took a low-profile after quitting the screen five years ago. He has been on the spot over the 2012 death of his girlfriend Careen Chepchumba, the former Kenya Power employee who was found dead in her apartment. The family believes Louis Otieno, who was dating the then 26-year-old lady, had something to do with her mysterious death. He has since denied the charges including accusations that he extorted money from her.

Careen father, Hosea Kili, made the sensational revelations at the opening of the inquest into the death of Ms Chepchumba in May 2016 before a Kibera court.

-Business Daily

Continue Reading

News

Sad day as broadcaster Njoki Ndegwa of Jambo Radio passes away in Dallas, Texas

Published

on

Popular Diaspora Radio show host Njoki Wa Ndegwa is Dead. Ms Ndegwa, one of Kenya Diaspora pioneer  Radio show hosts and the proprietor  of Jambo Radio Network (formerly Jambo Boston Radio) passed away Friday in Dallas, Texas.

“It is true she has passed on,” a family member who spoke to this reporter Friday evening said. “We thought we were ready for any eventuality but I guess nobody is really ever ready for death…I can tell you the news of her passing has shattered me and the rest of the family,” she added.

Njoki had been ill for some time, having being diagnosed with breast  cancer in 2014. Later in  October 2016, doctors told her that she had Metastatic Brain Tumors, following which she underwent treatment and several surgeries at Parklands  Hospital in Texas.

In September 2017, she lost her voice and mobility  due to aggressive Metastatic Brain Tumors.

Njoki  Wa Ndegwa required Chemotherapy,  24 hour bedside homecare services,  rent, medical supplies and specialized breathing machine.

Two weeks ago, friends, family and well wishers got together for a well attended fundraiser in Texas. Another harambee had been scheduled for this Sunday at Ushindi Church in Lowell, Massachusetts. It was in Boston, MA, that  she initially set up her broadcasting station.

As soon as the news of her death broke, her family, friends, Kenyans in US and fans from around the world took to social media to express shock and disbelief.

Before coming to the U.S., Ms Ndegwa was a successful radio personality in Kenya, working for popular radio station which broadcasts in Kikuyu language, Kameme FM .

Once here, she thought she’d be a nurse, but quickly discovered her future wasn’t in medicine, choosing instead to follow the path she knew best…broadcasting.

Her friends urged her to go back to Kenya and resume her successful radio career at Kameme FM, but Ndegwa thought, “why not be a Kenyan radio host in Boston?”

The station did well but she later moved to Texas where she set up her equipment and continued with what she did best; connect people through her radio shows. This she did until she got ill.

 

Watch a BBC documentary focusing on Njoki’s work as a radio presenter:

On Friday night, Timothy Ndegwa, the CEO of Mykenyanlink Network, a close friend to the deceased wrote on Facebook: It’s a sad day at
#JamboRadioNetwork

I remember this day vividly. The last photo we took in Atlanta on June 18th 2017 around noon. The last time I saw you standing on your feet. Three months later you were bed riden never to walk again. Several times I visited with you in the hospital and at home. You struggled but stayed strong. We communicated through gestures. The smiles and noding were affirming. I am honored to have been a partner with you at Jambo Radio Network.
May your soul rest in peace.
#JamboRadioNetwork
#RipNjokiWaNdegwa
#NjokiWaNdegwa
#MyKenyanLink

Timothy Ndegwa poses for a photo with Njoki Ndegwa in Atlanta in 2016. PHOTO|COURTESY

 

Njoki Wa Westlands wrote: Indeed it is. What a black Friday… God help us to overcome this cup.
Jane Njenga: It’s unbelievable, very sad.
John Wachori: Iguru ria maundu mothe Ngai Ithe Witu ni mwega. Na eekaga uria we onete ati niwega. We bless His Holy Name.

Continue Reading

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A KENYAN COMMUNITY CHURCH IN AND AROUND ATLANTA, GEORGIA?

wamutitu

2016 Calendar

February 2018
M T W T F S S
« Jan    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728  
poapay3

Who’s online?

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending