VIDEO: Miguna unceremoniously whisked out of Kenya - Kenya Satellite News Network
Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Miguna unceremoniously whisked out of Kenya

Published

on

Fiery Nasa politician Miguna Miguna has been ejected to Canada via a KLM flight, his lawyers Dr John Khaminwa, Nelson Havi and Cliff Ombeta say.

Mr Ombeta said he was informed that Mr Miguna was Tuesday evening put on a flight headed for Amsterdam then Canada.

Dr  Khaminwa, on the other hand said his client “is already out of Kenya’s airspace”.

“It is true. He was forced into a KLM flight minutes to 10pm and we gather he is headed to Canada. Such a travesty of justice,”  Khaminwa said by phone.

It is not clear what law the government used to eject him from Kenya as the Constitution guarantees him citizenship since he is Kenyan by birth.

A a senior govt official said that the Interior Ministry will give a detailed statement in the morning.

He said when Mr Miguna was arrested, the Canadian government had written to Kenya expressing concerns that their citizen was being harassed and they wanted him back.

HELD INCOMMUNICADO

Mr Miguna Tuesday narrated how he was held incommunicado for five days without access to his family or a lawyer following his arrest last Friday.

He said police officers humiliated him by locking him up in conditions “unfit for human existence.”

Mr Miguna was speaking at the Kajiado Law Courts where he was taken after his arrest last Friday on suspicion of taking part in a ceremony in which opposition chief Raila Odinga was sworn in as the people’s president on January 30.

Reports of his deportation come hours after High Court Judge Luka Kimaru barred the Director of Criminal Investigations and the Inspector General of the police from preferring any criminal charges against him.

DISOBEYED COURT ORDER

The judge had earlier ruled that the Police IG and the DCI were guilty of disobeying court orders regarding his release.

While the court in Kajiado ordered that he be presented before Justice Kimaru’s court at Milimani, Mr Miguna was not produced in the court and his lawyers stayed late within the court’s premises waiting for his release.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Kenyan musician 'Jaguar' sheds real tears in full view of cameras, says he'll now play stupid

He was arraigned in a court in Kajiado on Tuesday but did not plead to charges preferred against him.

Justice Kimaru had directed that police present him before court Wednesday at 11am.

KAJIADO COURT

The Kajiado magistrate had ruled that Mr Miguna be taken before Judge Kimaru in the High Court in Nairobi before 3pm Tuesday for orders on his bail terms.

He further directed that Mr Miguna appears before him on February 14 to take a plea.

This not likely to happen as the Nasa activist has now been ejected out of Kenya.

NASA SUPPORTERS RESTLESS

On Tuesday evening, Nasa supporters who had filled the Milimani courtroom were restless on whether he had been freed after Judge Kimaru ordered for his release.

The judge said he would not leave the premises until Mr Miguna was brought before him.

“I have been informed that he is in the building, so it remains that he is free,” the judge said before he walked out of the courtroom, leaving Nasa supporters shouting and demanding to see him.

CHARGE SHEET

The charge sheet against Mr Miguna alleged that he “was present and consented to the administering of an oath to Raila Amollo Odinga purporting to bind him to commit a capital offence of treason,” leading to fears among opposition supporters that the Nasa leader could also be arrested and charged with committing treason.

Following Mr Miguna’s arrest and failure to charge him in court, the Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet and the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti had been ordered to appear in court to explain circumstances surrounding their failure to release the Nasa activist.

Mr Miguna was arrested last Friday and on the same day High Court Judge James Wakiaga granted him a Sh50,000 bond but he was not released.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Hundreds of Kenyans, friends, mourn Mike Mulwa who was killed in robbery

NASA ‘OATH’

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations then said Mr Miguna was arrested after he confessed to administering Nasa leader Raila Odinga’s ‘oath’ and for being a member of an illegal organisation – the National Resistance Movement (NRM).

Nasa said they would Monday file contempt of court charges against the government for violating orders to release Mr Miguna and to re-open three independent private television stations which were shut down on January 30, the day of the “swearing-in” of Mr Odinga as the “people’s president”.

Two TV stations – NTV and KTN News – had their signals restored on Monday evening while Royal Media Services’ Citizen TV and Inooro TV remained off air.

NARRATES ORDEAL IN POLICE CELLS

The self-proclaimed National Resistance Movement (NRM) “general” Miguna Miguna Tuesday narrated how he was held incommunicado for five days without access to his family or a lawyer.

The flamboyant opposition activist said police, who he described as crooks, humiliated him by locking him up in conditions “unfit for human existence.”
Mr Miguna, who was arrested on Friday on suspicion of taking part in a ceremony in which opposition chief Raila Odinga was sworn in as the people’s president on January 30, was addressing Magistrate Edwin Malochi at the Kajiado Law Courts.

CELLS

He asked Mr Malochi not to let police officers accompany him to the cells as he awaited the court’s ruling.

Donning a black suit and a white shirt, he asked the court to allow him to update his supporters on his ordeal as he awaited the ruling. “I do not want to go with these people,” he told the magistrate who granted his plea on condition that he remains in the dock with the officers besides him.

Present were his lawyers Koin Lompo and nominated Senator Judith Pareno who protested their client’s handling by the police.

CLENCHED FIST

In court, Mr Miguna was a picture of confidence and defiance, displaying the national resistance movement’s clenched fist symbol as he chanted: “They can’t break me. They can go to hell and back.”

READ ALSO:   Naivas opens outlet at ex-Barclays Moi Avenue branch

Mr Miguna spent the weekend at Lari Police Station in Kiambu after police refused to free him despite a court order that he be freed on a cash bail of Sh50,000.

He was arrested at his Runda home, driven to Githunguri police station and transferred to Lari police station.

Mr Miguna told the packed court that from Lari, he was transferred to Industrial Area inland depot which he described “as the most humane” of all the police stations he was detained in during his five-day ordeal.

“It was only yesterday that I was given water and a toothbrush,” he said, displaying the white toothbrush.

On his arrest, he said: “They used explosives to break into my house, which is against the law. They did not even identify themselves. Had they done so, I would have opened the door for them.”

ROUGH-LOOKING OFFICERS

He said the officers looked rough and were not dressed in uniform.

“Some of them were bearded, while others had dreadlocks; in fact I thought they were Mungiki. They did not even tell me that I was under arrest; they just led me away with guns.”

His supporters cheered him on with opposition slogans “Tibim” and “Resist.”

At some point, just before the magistrate came to deliver his ruling, Mr Miguna felt his supporters were getting agitated and waved to them to maintain order.

The magistrate ruled that Mr Miguna be taken before Judge Luka Kimaru in the High Court in Nairobi before 3 pm for orders on his bail terms. He further directed that the fiery lawyer appears before him on February 14 to take a plea.

And, just as quickly as he was brought to court, officers pounced on him after the magistrate’s ruling and drove off fast in a convoy of three vehicles.

 

nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

US-based Kenyan man holds 3 Pre-weddings in quick succession, fiancée says wedding must go on

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

A Kenyan woman in Seattle, Washington, who has been at the center of a heated online debate has come out to openly declare her total support for her fiancé, who is being accused of scamming Kenyans by holding three Pre-wedding fundraisers within a few months: two in Maryland and Massachusetts and an upcoming one in Washington State.

In an exclusive interview with Kenya Satellite News Network Thursday, Pastor Serah Ndirangu said she is ready to get married to the man and “those casting doubts on the event are mere detractors whose opinions don’t really matter.”

She said she is well aware of what happened between the previous fiancée  and the Reverend and added that the upcoming pre-wedding was her own idea.

“Why do people like poking their noses in other peoples’ affairs?” she wondered.

“We really don’t care what they are saying…this is our life and no one is being forced to contribute a penny,” she said.

Our  pre-wedding will take place on November 10th “come rain, come shine,” she added.

She was referring to those who have raised concern over the number of times the man in question has “fallen in love.”

The debate is about one Reverend Stanley Mwea who held two pre-wedding fundraisers in May this year, in Baltimore and Boston. The woman he intended to marry was Susan Kangethe, but as fate would have it, differences arose before they could tie the knot and the wedding was called off.

READ ALSO:   Naivas opens outlet at ex-Barclays Moi Avenue branch

Soon after that, Rev Mwea then fell in love with another woman, Ms Serah Ndirangu, and the two planned a third pre-wedding, slated for November 10th this year.

This did not go down very well with some Kenyans in the Diaspora, many of who took to social media to make position on the matter known. This comes at a time when Kenyans in different cities in the US have been complaining of rising instances where, after pre-weddings are held, the “love birds” vanish or relocate to different states, never to be seen again.

Now Pastor Serah Ndirangu said the wedding will take place in Seattle, Washington in early December. “The church elders and my fellow gospel musicians have encouraged me to go on with the arrangements and there is no looking back. God will fight on our behalf,” she added.

However, many people, mostly Kenyans, were skeptical:

Here are some of the comments:

Bryan Dubb wrote on Facebook: 

Waaaaar my Kenyanese people. Is this what we doing now? Same Reverend, two women, different cities, one in May and another in Nov same year for a pre-wedding? C’mon son 😏

***another pre wedding in Mass**

Esther WaKang’ara:  I imagine there are people who contributed to all his mchangoz…the f**kery 🙄🙄. Throw it all away!!!

 

READ ALSO:   Kenyan-born journalist honoured in US for exemplary reporting

Brenda Momanyi They all know about each that have a mission to chop y’all hard earned money small small #issascam #dontdallforit

Lily Jay: Wajinga ndio waliwao.. let the man prosper! Kama kuna his kondoos willing to shell out their hard earned cash to this conman, so be it. Wabarikiwe..

Salome Mwangi: Ala! Mchungaji kondoo amechunga coast to coast…… this one takes the crown. Team serah Seattle is close to me issa wedding😂😂. Is this guy serious? I hope not.

Corazòn Wanjiku He is practicing his beliefs (legalized polygamy). I aint hating but who are these churches supporting this pastor? Don’t raise ALL your hands at ONCE!

Nikki Wangari I’m done with my kenyanese people🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️
I’m not boarding that country🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🏃🏽‍♀️

Continue Reading

News

Kenya’s Ambassador to Austria arrested over Sh55 Million scandal

Published

on

Former Sports Cabinet Secretary Hasan Wario has been arrested. Wario was arrested on Thursday morning alongside three others after they surrendered themselves to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters in Nairobi.

Wario, who is currently the Kenyan ambassador to Austria, will face graft charges alongside other former Ministry of Sports officials.

The envoy is implicated in the misappropriation of more than Sh55 million set aside for the 2015 Rio Olympic games in Brazil during his tenure as Sports CS.

Wario, together with other officials are accused of making unauthorized payments running into millions of shillings, over-payment of allowances amounting to more than Sh15 million, and using Sh22 million to purchase flight tickets that were not utilized by athletes and officials.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji says there is enough evidence to charge the officials with misappropriation of millions of taxpayers cash.

“Upon independent review and consideration of evidence contained in the inquiry file, I am satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to charge the above suspects for misappropriation of over Sh55 million,” Haji said.

Others to be charged alongside Wario include Harun Komen (former Director of Administration in the ministry of Sports), Francis Kanyili (former Secretary General, NOCK), Patrick Kimathi (former Finance Officer, ministry of Sports) and Kipchoge Keino  former National Olympic Committee of Kenya Chairman).

READ ALSO:   Kenyan-born journalist honoured in US for exemplary reporting

They will be arraigned in court on Friday.

Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

News

See calf born with two heads, six legs that stunned Murang’a villagers

Published

on

A farmer in Kandara, Murang’a County witnessed a ‘strange’ birth of a calf with two heads and six legs.

The owner of the calf, Mary Wanjiru, said she had never witnessed such an incident for the over thirty years that she has been a dairy farmer.

Ms Wanjiru said the mother of the calf died after the rare birth because of heavy bleeding.

She said this was the fourth time the cow had given birth, noting that the other births were normal.

“The abnormality of this calf has provoked many questions, but we have no one to blame. This is one of God’s wonders,” she said.

Residents of Ng’araria village streamed to Ms Wanjiru’s compound to have a look at the unusual calf.

Some onlookers took photos of the calf while others were terrified and speculated that a calamity had befallen the sleepy village.

The rare incident became the main subject of discussion all though Thursday at homes, schools, churches and eateries eliciting mixed reactions from the locals.

The calf died a few hours after it was born.

nation.co.ke

READ ALSO:   Naivas opens outlet at ex-Barclays Moi Avenue branch
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!