By Wanja Waweru
At every point, Omar Lali has justified his devotion to Tecra Muigai, the heiress of Keroche.
Lali disclosed details of their relationship during his evidence on Wednesday, 16 February 2022, before a Nairobi magistrate’s court.
Tecra allegedly fell down the stairs of Jaha House, a hotel in Shela, Lamu, in April 2020, resulting in her death.
Here are 10 facts from his testimony about his relationship with the late.
- Lali and Tecra began dating when he was in his mid-50s and she was in her 20s. Tecra was worried that because of the big age difference, her parents wouldn’t ever accept him.
- Tecra sent photos of her boyfriend on WhatsApp to her parents. “I told her that she had sent the wrong photo because the guy was too old for her. She said ‘No, he is the one’,” Tabitha said.
- Lali told the court that Tecra said, “But this relationship is not because of them. Whatever they say is up to them. I took you because I love you.”
- Lali said he met the Keroche heiress in July 2019 while she was on holiday in Lamu. “It was love at first sight. She said she really loved my beard,” he said. On that first day of their meeting, the two went up to Tecra’s apartment at the hotel, where they drank alcohol, made out, and slept. “There was a bit of romance then she went into her room and I slept in the living room,” he said. Omar reported that the bed in the living room was quite cozy. Lali also noted Tecra’s penchant for wild parties. When her friends came to stay with her in Lamu, they would drink all day and all night, sniffing cocaine. Lali named the males in his testimony as Max, Edwin, and a third man whose name he could not recall.
- Lali maintains his innocence, saying he loves Tecra and would not lift a hand against her. “How can you kill your lover? I have never raised my hand against any woman in my life,” he said. The inquest into the death of Tecra will return on March 27, 2023, when the Keroche family lawyers will cross-examine Omar.
- In Tecra’s last moments, Lali narrated how at 3 pm, he had not returned to the hotel because he went to visit his children, and Tecra called.
- When he got home, Lali said, “We went into the bedroom and made love.”
- After that, they started drinking, but Lali says he was on anti-biotics, so he did not indulge much. Later, he left to sleep and left Tecra drinking.
- At the time, only the two of them were in the house. Lali told the court that screams woke him up from Tecra after she fell down the staircase. “I woke up and ran to her. It was in the wee hours of the night. She was unconscious,” he said.
- Tecra was rushed to a local dispensary, which referred her to Lamu’s King Fahad Hospital after first aid. She was later airlifted by Amref to Nairobi and taken to The Nairobi Hospital, where she died a week later.