Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Judge Njoki Ndung’u says she was physically assaulted by her dad in Karen

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

Kenya’s Supreme Court judge Njoki Ndung’u has for the first time revealed how, despite being brought up in the upmarket neighbourhood of Karen, she, her siblings and their mother led a miserable life thanks to her drunken and abusive father.

Speaking at the Hilton, Nairobi, Njoki told a gathering of Kenyan women that her father was a drunkard who used to terrorize the family often.

“We watched as he beat up our mother,” she said, adding: “We often would spend the night in the cow shed, terrified.”

She said there was no difference between them – living in the leafy suburbs – and families who experience domestic violence in less privileged neighbourhoods like Kibera or Korogocho.

“Many times, we were all thrown out of the house,” she said.

In the no holds barred speech, the judge said the terrible experience led her into making a decision earlier in life that she would follow a career path that would address the matter.

“I witnessed domestic violence first hand and that is what I have always sought to change.”

The audience burst into laughter when she told of how dangerous it is for a woman to use “bottom power.”

A man can impregnate a woman every day and yet the latter can not get pregnant again at least for nine months after conception…so who should be on the pill?, she wondered aloud.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Jeff Koinange's comments about life in US rile some Kenyans

It is a man’s world out there but we shouldn’t stop making our presence felt, she advised.

She told of how she did a lot for women when she was an MP, and even prior to that, including having more women leaders recognised, spearheading the zero rating of sanitary pads, etc…when there was only one unisex toilet in the chamber…when she and fellow legislator Cecily Mbarire were the youngest MPs in the house and men would sexually harass them by gently scratching their palms with one finger whenever they shook their hands.

She said that in life, she is guided by three principles: Planning, Passion and Prayer.

“There is nothing possible without the Almighty God,” she said.

Watch the speech here:

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Mututho escapes death by a whisker after being attacked by armed gunmen

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Former Naivasha Member of Parliament John Mututho last night escaped death by a whisker in Nakuru Town West sub-County.

Mututho said he was driving from Bomet when he was accosted by armed men at Jua Lako area on Saturday around 1950hrs.

“I was engaged in a shooting incident with two individuals on a red motorcycle who both wore helmets,” said Mr Mututho.

He explained that the motorcycle pulled alongside the car on the driver’s side and opened fire on him.

Mututho who is a licenced gun holder said the unknown people only managed to shoot once before repulsing them.

“I engaged them successfully before driving Central Police Station Nakuru where I recorded a statement vide OB.67/12/09/20,” he said.

He was alone at the time of the incident, he said in a Facebook post, driving towards Racecourse Estate.

In 2012 in an interview with The Standard, Mr Mututho said he had been shot at twice in a bid to silence him over his stand on the production, sale and consumption of alcohol.

The Alcoholic Drinks Control Act of 2010 stopped production of illicit liquors and gave drinking window leading to the closure of liquor making enterprises.

“I’m not one who is easily intimidated when fighting for what I believe is right for the country,” said Mututho.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Nkaissery, a social dude who loved his cold Tusker and friends
Continue Reading

News

Facebook set to open second office in Africa

Published

on

Facebook on Friday announced its plans to open a new office in Lagos, Nigeria which is expected to become operational in the second half of 2021.

The new Lagos office will be the first office on the continent with a team of engineers and will support the Sub-Saharan region.

This comes five years after Facebook opened its first office on the continent in Johannesburg, South Africa and the 2019 opening of the Small Business Group (SBG) Operations Centre in Lagos.

“The opening of our new office in Lagos, Nigeria presents new and exciting opportunities in digital innovations to be developed from the continent and taken to the rest of the world,” said Ime Archibong, Facebook’s Head of New Product Experimentation.

“All across Africa we’re seeing immense talent in the tech ecosystem, and I’m proud that with the upcoming opening of our new office, we’ll be building products for the future of Africa, and the rest of the world, with Africans at the helm. We look forward to contributing further to the African tech ecosystem.”

The office in Lagos is part of Facebook’s ongoing investments in Africa and will be home to several teams across its business including Sales, Partnerships, Policy and Communications.

READ ALSO:   LIVE from The Supreme Court, Nairobi - NASA Petition proceedings open

It will also be key in helping to expand the company’s client services across the continent.

Facebook says it has made a number of investments across the continent to support the tech ecosystem, provide reliable connectivity infrastructures and help businesses grow locally, regionally and globally.

Continue Reading

News

Lawyer Ahmednasir Abdullahi threatens to sue Safaricom

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Lawyer, Ahmednasir Abdullahi, has threatened a class action against Safaricom.

The lawyer said he has been receiving countless messages from third-party companies, of which he had not subscribed to.

“Lately, I’ve been receiving unsolicited sms from these numbers inter alia…21026, 23050, 40720, Creditinfo BNTSMS, Senti, 60040…and others. It’s very obvious that Safaricom allows third party to have access to my number without my permission,” Ahmednasir tweeted.

Ahmednasir called it a gross violation of his right to privacy, stating that a class action would, then be appropriate.

“This is obviously a gross infringement on my Right to Privacy under Article 31 of the Constitution. I suspect this breach of privacy is rampant and Safaricom may be charging fees the entities it gives access to phone data. I think class action is an appropriate step. What do you think, people?” He added.

In response to allegations, Safaricom denied ever granting access to third-parties.

Last year in June, one Benedict Kabugi sued the telecommunications giant for Ksh 115 trillion over breach of privacy.

However, Safaricom has always maintained that the user may have subscribed to the services through other prompts.

Following overwhelming responses in the affirmative, Ahmednasir said that he would proceed to write to the formally next week.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan man in US arrested for "drinking heavily and passing out" at work

“Seeing the overwhelming response by Kenyan subscribers of Safaricom, I will INSHAALLAH formally write to them next week and then formally start a class action.

“Safaricom has been mining data and then gives access to third parties to our telephones…Kenyans, this is how law is made.” He said.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!