Connect with us

Africa

Details on why Nation Media Group’s CEO Muganda has resigned

Published

on

Nation Media Group (NMG) has formally announced the exit of Chief Executive Officer Joe Muganda, who is set to become Vivo Energy Managing Director from 1st February.

In a communication at an ad hoc staff meeting held on Monday afternoon, NMG Group Chairman Wilfred Kiboro said Muganda, who joined the media house in July 2015, will officially depart on January 31.

As predicted by Business Today, Kiboro said Group Finance Director Stephen Gitagama will act as CEO as the board seeks Mr Muganda’s substantive replacement. Group Editor-in-Chief Tom Mshindi, a former Standard Group CEO, is among those tipped to replace Muganda.

Mr Kiboro said during his tenure, the outgoing CEO presided over a business re-engineering strategy to position the company firmly on a digital growth path.

“Mr Muganda has aggressively driven our product portfolio review, presided over a general restructuring and re-oriented the business to seize the opportunities presented by the digital disruption in the media sector,” said Mr Kiboro in a statement read on his behalf by Group Human Resources Director David Kiambi during a seven minute-staff meeting.

READ: There’s too much drinking in Nation newsroom

“He will leave a leaner, nimbler organisation whose future commercial success is already evident in the positive trajectory of returns from the investments in digital initiatives. We wish him well in his future pursuits,” he added.

READ ALSO:   Shock as 26 Kenyans commit suicide on the same tree!

Mr Kiboro assured all NMG shareholders, stakeholders and the public that corporate leadership changes are normal and that the transition will be seamless and expeditious. “We wish to reassure our stakeholders that we continue to be committed to delivering value in line with their expectations,” he added.

As NMG CEO, Muganda presided over a radical restructuring programme that saw the closure of three radio stations -Nation FM and QFM in Kenya, Rwanda’s KFM – and hybrid television channel, QTV resulting in the redundancy of over 100 journalists. More than 30 journalists were laid off in another rationalisation programme effected in November last year.

Mr Muganda also implemented a newsroom convergence project that saw various desks merged to serve its print, electronic and digital outlets pushing out more staffers.

Employees at Nation Centre are said to be elated over the bean-counter’s impending departure. One of the employees asked Muganda whether he had been fired to which he said he had resigned.

Meanwhile, Muganda will take over at Vivo Energy on February 1, as managing director. In a statement, Vivo Energy noted that Mr Muganda brings a wealth of experience from this and various other roles, primarily within the FMCG sector.

These include Kenya Breweries Ltd. where he was the Managing Director and British American Tobacco (BAT) where he held a number of different roles including General Manager for the Southern Africa Markets, Head of Corporate Affairs, Regional Manager – Africa and the Middle East, and senior marketing and brand roles.  Before BAT, he previously worked in Barclays and Unilever.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan scientist George Njoroge receives another prestigious award in US
READ: Airtel set to exit Kenyan market

Mr Muganda holds a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Financial Management from the University of Buckingham and an MBA from the University of Leicester, both in the UK.

Commenting on the appointment, David Mureithi, Executive Vice President, Vivo Energy East and South Region, said: “I am delighted to welcome Mr Muganda as the new Managing Director of Vivo Energy Kenya. When he joins in February his vast experience will bring great added value to Vivo Energy Kenya, allowing the company to build on its previous success, as he steers the company to meet its ambitious goals.”

-businesstoday.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

VIDEO: I was also diagnosed with Cancer before Collymore took over Safaricom, Michael Joseph opens up

Published

on

Acting Safaricom CEO Michael Joseph says he battled cancer during his stint at the telecommunications company between 2000 and 2010.

Joseph shared details of his battle with the disease during an interview with K24 TV on Tuesday evening.

Joseph, who has returned to the mobile service provider as interim CEO following the death of Bob Collymore, said he was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2003.

He was declared cancer-free after undergoing treatment for several months.

“Not many people know that am also a cancer survivor and that I was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 while still CEO of Safaricom. I am now a cancer survivor,” Joseph said.

Joseph was responding to a question about his plans on cancer, which has claimed the lives of many people in the country including former Safaricom CEO Collymore.

Collymore died at his Nairobi residence on Monday morning after battling with Acute Myeloid Leukemia, a rare type of cancer, for about two years.

“I don’t have any direct plans to do that (set up a cancer center) although they should probably know that Safaricom Foundation has spent a lot of money in the health field.”

“I am sure in the memory of Bob (Collymore), we will do more now in terms of preventing and helping the treatment of cancer,” stated Joseph.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Another bag emptied at JKIA and everything stolen, says American woman

In an earlier interview with The Standard, Joseph said he at some point run the company from a hospital bed.

“It was a long drawn out affair and for some time, I ran Safaricom from a hospital bed. People would bring me advertisements to approve and all that and then they would be worried because I had tubes running all over my body,” Joseph explained.

 

 

Continue Reading

Africa

Beauty queen speaks out on ‘rape ordeal’ by ex-President

Published

on

A 23-year-old former beauty queen in The Gambia, Toufah Jallow, has said she was raped in 2015 by ex-President Yahya Jammeh when he was in office.

Her testimony is part of a Human Rights Watch and Trial International report that details another alleged rape and sexual assault by Mr Jammeh.

The BBC tried to contact Mr Jammeh, who now lives in exile in Equatorial Guinea, about the allegations.

A spokesman for his APRC party denied the accusations made against Mr Jammeh.

“We as a party and The Gambian people are tired of the steady stream of unfounded allegations that have been reported against our ex-President,” said Ousman Rambo Jatta, in a written statement to the BBC.

“The ex-president has no time to react to lies and smear campaigns. He is a very respectable God fearing and pious leader who has nothing but respect for our Gambian women,” the deputy APRC leader said.

Ms Jallow told the BBC she wanted to meet Mr Jammeh, 54, in court so he could face justice.

“I’ve really tried to hide the story and erase it and make sure it’s not part of me.

“Realistically I couldn’t so I decided to speak now because it is time to tell the story and to make sure that Yayha Jammeh hears what he has done.”

She said she also wanted to testify before The Gambia’s Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission (TRRC), which has been set up by President Adama Barrow, who won elections in December 2016.

The TTRC is investigating human rights violations alleged to have been committed during Mr Jammeh’s 22-year rule, including reports of extrajudicial killings, torture and arbitrary detention.

READ ALSO:   Shock as 26 Kenyans commit suicide on the same tree!

He was forced from office in January 2017 after regional powers sent in troops when he refused to give up power.

‘MARRIAGE REFUSAL’

Ms Jallow said she was 18 when she met Mr Jammeh after winning a beauty pageant in 2014 in the capital, Banjul.

In the months following her coronation, she said the former president acted as a father figure when they met, offering her advice, gifts and money, and also organising for running water to be installed in her family home.

Then at a dinner organised by an aide to thePpresident, she says he asked her to marry him. She refused and rebuffed other enticements from the aide to agree to the offer.

Ms Jallow said the aide then insisted she attend a religious ceremony at State House in her role as beauty queen in June 2015. But when she arrived, she was taken to the President’s private residence.

“It was clear what this was going to be,” she said, describing Mr Jammeh’s anger at her for rejecting him.

Ms Jallow says he slapped her and injected her in her arm with a needle.

“He rubbed his genitals in my face, pushed me down to my knees, pulled my dress up and sodomised me.”

‘PROTOCOL GIRLS’

The young woman says afterwards she locked herself at home for three days and then decided to flee to neighbouring Senegal.

Once in Dakar, the Senegalese capital, Ms Jallow sought the assistance of various human rights organisations. Weeks later, she was approved protection status and moved to Canada, where she has been living since.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Here is the video attributed to Raila telling Kenyan women to expose their underwear

Human Rights Watch (HRW) and Trial International say Mr Jammeh had a system in place to abuse women, where some were put on the state payroll and worked at State House as so-called “protocol girls”, who had some clerical duties but were mainly on call to have sex with the President.

The BBC could not verify the allegation, but a former Gambian official, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity, said he was aware of “inappropriate things” happening at the presidency: “Protocol staff were mostly women and they were hired to satisfy the President’s fantasies.”

He remembered seeing Ms Jallow at State House, sometimes at “odd hours”.

Another woman, hired as a protocol officer at the age of 23, told HRW she was forced to have sex with Mr Jammeh in 2015.

The woman, who asked not to be named, said that one day the president called her into his room: “He started undressing me and saying that he was in love with me, that he will do anything for me and my family, that I should not tell anyone because if I do I will face the consequences.

“I felt I had no choice. That day he slept with me without protection.”

‘HONOUR’

Another woman who worked as a protocol officer said that they knew if one of them was called it was for sex.

“Some wanted it. They felt honoured or wanted the money,” she told HRW on condition of anonymity.

She described how she was sexually assaulted by the President at his summer house, Kanilai, in 2013 when she was 22: “One evening, a presidential aide called me and told me to come with her to the president’s private apartment. He asked me to undress.

READ ALSO:   Former Kenyan TV presenter Louis Otieno goes deaf

“He told me that I was young and needed protection so he wanted to apply spiritual water on me.”

In an encounter the next day, she started crying as Mr Jammeh began to touch her body. He became angry and sent her away.

She says she was later sacked and a promised scholarship cancelled.

TRRC’S FOCUS

The TRRC’s mission is to establish a record of abuses committed during Mr Jammeh’s 22-year rule when it is alleged there were arbitrary detentions, enforced disappearances and torture against critics

Its 11 independent commissioners can grant reparations to victims.

Backed by the UN and funded by international donors, it began hearing testimonies in November 2018. Its motto is “Never again”.

TRRC’s Executive Secretary Baba Jallow has told the BBC that the commission, launched eight months ago, will focus on sexual violence in September.

“We are aware of allegations involving Jammeh but we have not heard victims on the record yet. Investigations have already started but at this stage we can’t say who is involved and how many victims there are,” he said.

Ms Jallow wants to create an atmosphere where women will feel safer to talk about rape and sexual assault: “It’s a step-by-step thing and the first part is to acknowledge it happened.

“When many other women speak up and it becomes safer and safer,” she told the BBC.

President Barrow has said he will await the report of the TRRC before considering whether to pursue Mr Jammeh’s extradition from Equatorial Guinea.

Source:nairobinews

Continue Reading

Africa

Conversion of Kenyan currency suspended in Uganda

Published

on

The governor visited Dr Ruto at his office at Harambee Annex, Nairobi to deliver the serial number 2 currency notes. Serial number 1 was given to President Uhuru Kenyatta on June 1, 2019, during Madaraka Day celebration. PHOTO | DPPS

Uganda has joined Tanzania in suspending the conversion of Kenyan Shillings as a measure to tame illicit cash flows.

In a statement issued on Monday, Bank of Uganda said it had been informed by the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) that they have issued new banknotes effective May 31, 2019.

“Bank of Uganda will not accept Kenya Shillings at its counters with immediate effect,” Bank of Uganda said in a statement.

“Please be advised that changing Kenyan currency from old to new banknotes can only be done in Kenya,” the statement further read.

COUNTERFEITS

On Friday the Bank of Tanzania also suspended conversion of Kenyan currency to Tanzanian currency.

According to Tanzanian financial institution, they were advised to freeze the exercise by Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) in a move to tame illicit cash flows.

“With a view to combat illicit financial flows and counterfeits into the Republic of Kenya, the Bank of Tanzania has been advised to freeze CBK Currency Collection Account with immediate effect,’’ the statement read in part.

Source:nairobinews

READ ALSO:   Lawyer fried for asking governor to drive hawkers out of posh Karen area
Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Nov   Jan »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!