Connect with us

News

VIDEO: I’m ready to die for ‘treason’ after being sworn-in, declares Raila Odinga

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

Kenya’s opposition leader Raila Odinga has dared Attorney General Githu Muigai to go ahead with plans to charge him with treason while insisting he will be sworn in as ‘the people’s president’ even if it meant losing his own life.

“Let me respond to Githu Muigai together with his boss …if we have to lose our lives so that voter rigging stops, we will be sworn-in and are ready to die,” Odinga told thousands of mourners Tuesday during the burial of former Kitui West MP Francis Nyenze in Kabati, Kitui.

 

In his tribute to the fallen Francis Mwanzia Nyenze, Odinga said the former MP, who was once a  cabinet minister in the Moi Government,  “leaves a great void in the people of Kitui West, the NASA fraternity and the country at large, given the countless ways in which he served the nation as MP, Minister and Minority Leader in Parliament.”

The former Prime Minister said Kalonzo is not interested in a parliamentary seat. “Kalonzo atakwenda kwa bunge namna gani na ili hali yeye ni naibu wa rais wa jamhuri ya Kenya (how can he be a member of parliament and yet he is the deputy president of the republic of Kenya)?” he wondered aloud.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Raila did not withdraw from Oct 26th Presidential election - Supreme Court

 

President Uhuru Kenyatta andhis deputy, William Ruto skipped the event. However, the Speaker of the National Assembly, JB Muturi, was in attendance.

Muturi paid glowing tribute to the former legislator terming him a peace maker. “Francis had a way of getting my attention and I had a great time working with him as the leader of minority,” said Muturi.

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka’s tribute was read by Makueni governor, Kivutha Kibwana.

Others in attendance included Nasa co-principals Musalia Mudavadi and Moses Wetangula as well as Kitui governor, Charity Ngilu.

Some of the leaders who attended the burial of former legislator, Francis Nyenze in Kabati, Kitui on Tuesday Dec 19, 2017. PHOTO|COURTESY

 

Odinga rekindled the controversial  debate over his planned oath of office after failing to show up  for a planned “People’s assembly” even which had been planned to coincide with this year’s Jamhuri Day celebrations.

On Tuesday the United States reiterated its opposition to Raila Odinga’s announced intention to swear an oath as Kenya’s “people’s president.”

“Forming a separate or parallel government is really unhelpful,” said Donald Yamamoto, the acting assistant secretary of state for African affairs who was in Nairobi a week ago in an attempt to dissuade the opposition from acts which could exacerbate the already volatile political situation in the East African nation.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Ntimama's daughter has very unkind words for DP William Ruto

President Kenyatta was sworn in on November 28th following a repeat presidential contest which was boycotted by Odinga who sought reforms in the electoral body, IEBC, among other things.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Linturi: Kitany out to rip me off my property

Published

on

Meru Senator Mithika Linturi has urged a Nairobi court to dismiss an application by Ms Marianne Kitany, who claims to be his wife, saying, she is trying to strip him of his property.

Arguing before the court yesterday, Mr Linturi, through lawyer Muthomi Thiankolu, said Ms Kitany hid some facts from the court when she got temporary orders giving her exclusive use of their Runda home.

The senator denied that Ms Kitany was a “jobless housewife with no stable income”, but that she has several multimillion properties, businesses and assets.

I have never cohabited or entered into a customary relationship with the petitioner” he said. He said he never dissolved his marriage to Ms Mercy Kaimenyi and claims that he and Ms Kitany were married under Meru customary law were false.

Mr Linturi told the court Ms Kitany has no evidence to prove he has been violent towards her and the court order was a desperate attempt to defraud him of property. Instead, it was Ms Kitany who was “cruel, mean and hostile towards my children who are still at a tender age”.

But Ms Kitany, through lawyer Danstan Omari, insisted that there was a very personal relationship between the two and she was not a visitor as alleged by Mr Linturi.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Ntimama's daughter has very unkind words for DP William Ruto

She said the amount of time they spent together cannot be wished away and that she even campaigned for him during the 2017 General Election.

Her lawyer said the court has a duty to protect the dignity of people in personal relationships and any forcible eviction without due regard to the law must be resisted.

She is a jobless former public servant while the respondent is a powerful senator. She is therefore vulnerable and the rightful place where she can seek protection is the court,” he said.

He said it will be a great calamity if men are allowed to “use and dump women”.

Senior Resident Magistrate Isaac Orenge will rule on the matter on February 1. Ms Kitany will meanwhile remain at the Runda residence.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: PRESIDENT: All Dust attackers have been killed

Published

on

All terrorists who stormed Dusit office park in Nairobi on Tuesday have been killed, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced has announced.

On the other hand, at least six people have died and 30 others rushed to various hospitals in Nairobi with injuries following a suspected terrorist attack at an upscale hotel in Nairobi’s Westlands.

Five people died at the Secret Garden restaurant in the Dusit complex after a suspected suicide bomber blew himself, according to the Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet.

Another woman succumbed to her injuries at the MP Shah Hospital which had received six casualties following the Tuesday afternoon attack.

Four survivors were taken to the Aga Khan University Hospital.

More to follow.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Why Raila's swearing-in has been called off
Continue Reading

News

DEVELOPING: Five dead, 30 injured after attack at Nairobi’s Dusit complex

Published

on

At least five people have died and 30 others have been rushed to various hospitals in Nairobi with injuries following a suspected terrorist attack at an upscale hotel in Nairobi’s Westlands.

Five people died at the Secret Garden restaurant in the Dusit complex after a suspected suicide bomber blew himself, according to the Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet.

Another woman succumbed to her injuries at the MP Shah Hospital which had received six casualties following the Tuesday afternoon attack.

Four survivors were taken to the Aga Khan University Hospital.

One person with gunshot wounds was operated on and was said to be out of danger.

Kenyatta National Hospital received four survivors of the attack.

One had been shot in the abdomen while another was shot in the chest.

The other two were admitted with soft tissue injuries and were in stable condition.

Avenue Hospital in Parklands admitted 16 survivors, with one woman being in critical condition after being shot four times in the abdomen and was being operated on.

One person sustained a gunshot wound to the thigh, with another fracturing a leg during the ensuing stampede.

Kajiado North MP Joseph Manje who visited the hospital, said he had seen the patients and they were in stable condition.

READ ALSO:   Seven Kenyans sue government seeking to have their passports back

Mr Manje appealed to Kenyans to donate blood to help the victims.

He said he would also donate blood as part of the emergency management effort.

“I am also going to donate blood as soon as the emergency tent is set up for the procedure,” said Mr Manje.

Police officers blocked journalists from accessing the hospital saying they had instructions from Inspector-General Joseph Boinnet.

“We have been instructed by Inspector-General Joseph Boinnet himself not to allow journalists in the wards or the accident and emergency unit,” said a police inspector only identified as Charles.

Source: Daily Nation

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!