Connect with us

News

CABINET: Jobs for the boys? Why does Uhuru need 22 Chief administrative Secretaries as well as Principal Secretaries???

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta’s expanded cabinet will cost taxpayers almost half a billion each year in salaries alone. The 22 Cabinet Secretaries (CSs) including a part-time one and the new 21 Chief Administrative Secretaries will cost Sh486.4 million each year if they earn the same pay.

The State functionaries are also expected part with Sh285.78 million in gratuities, pensions and insurance which is 60 per cent of their gross pay – bringing the total cost to over Sh772 million a year. The CSs earn fixed salaries of Sh924,000 down from Sh1.056 million while Principal Secretaries (PSs) earn Sh765,000 from Sh874,500 as per the new pay structure the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) announced on July 10. President Kenyatta has appointed 38 PSs, who will be paid an estimated Sh348.8 million a year with Sh209.3 million in gratuities.

This brings the total cost of running the Executive to Sh1.33 billion. It comes at a time when Treasury is trying to cut down spending after warning that recurrent expenditure demands could affect the economy. “Recurrent expenditure is a risk and we are having pressures on the wage bill from unions and if you allow me Chairman Budget from parliament,” Treasury PS Dr Kamau Thugge said during the presentation of the 2018 draft budget. He made the remarks after MPs overturned SRC cap on mileage which would pave way for the 416 MPs to pocket Sh668,000 extra in allowances and salary at the end of this month.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Here is the video attributed to Raila telling Kenyan women to expose their underwear

According to the 2018 Budget Policy Statement by the Treasury, the public sector wage bill has increased by nearly Sh100 billion over the last three years despite the Government’s efforts to tame recurrent expenditure. Treasury predicts the wage bill, which stood at Sh307 billion in 2015 and has since risen to Sh401 billion, will hit Sh444 billion next year. Treasury data shows Kenya will pay Sh304 billion as interest on loans and Sh76 billion as pensions next year leaving less for development.
-Standard

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DEVELOPING: Five dead, 30 injured after attack at Nairobi’s Dusit complex

Published

on

At least five people have died and 30 others have been rushed to various hospitals in Nairobi with injuries following a suspected terrorist attack at an upscale hotel in Nairobi’s Westlands.

Five people died at the Secret Garden restaurant in the Dusit complex after a suspected suicide bomber blew himself, according to the Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet.

Another woman succumbed to her injuries at the MP Shah Hospital which had received six casualties following the Tuesday afternoon attack.

Four survivors were taken to the Aga Khan University Hospital.

One person with gunshot wounds was operated on and was said to be out of danger.

Kenyatta National Hospital received four survivors of the attack.

One had been shot in the abdomen while another was shot in the chest.

The other two were admitted with soft tissue injuries and were in stable condition.

Avenue Hospital in Parklands admitted 16 survivors, with one woman being in critical condition after being shot four times in the abdomen and was being operated on.

One person sustained a gunshot wound to the thigh, with another fracturing a leg during the ensuing stampede.

Kajiado North MP Joseph Manje who visited the hospital, said he had seen the patients and they were in stable condition.

READ ALSO:   US rolls out new fraud-proof Green Cards

Mr Manje appealed to Kenyans to donate blood to help the victims.

He said he would also donate blood as part of the emergency management effort.

“I am also going to donate blood as soon as the emergency tent is set up for the procedure,” said Mr Manje.

Police officers blocked journalists from accessing the hospital saying they had instructions from Inspector-General Joseph Boinnet.

“We have been instructed by Inspector-General Joseph Boinnet himself not to allow journalists in the wards or the accident and emergency unit,” said a police inspector only identified as Charles.

Source: Daily Nation

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: One suspect arrested in the Westlands attack

Published

on

One suspect has been arrested following the Tuesday afternoon attack in Riverside, Nairobi as rescue operations continue.

Specialist police units have been at the scene as they seek to apprehend other attackers at the DusitD2 Hotel.

At the same time, more heavily armed security officers aboard two UN vehicles have made way into the building.

Security teams could also be seen patrolling the fourth floor of the building housing the Commission on Revenue Allocation (CRA) offices.

Mr Francis Njue, who was caught up in the melee, narrated how in most of the rooms, shaken customers and visitors had locked themselves in and would not open even after police officers who were first to arrive identified themselves.

Those being rescued had to undergo thorough frisking by the security agencies.

Source: Daily Nation

READ ALSO:   BREAKING NEWS VIDEO: Ngilu joins NASA, says Uhuru and Ruto are extremely corrupt
Continue Reading

News

Latest from the attack in Westlands, Nairobi

Published

on

  • The attackers arrived using a car, KCN 340E, and another vehicle that advanced further in.
  • They forced their way into 14 Riverside Drive and forced security guards to open the gate by shooting at them.
  • They then advanced and hurled explosives into vehicles at the parking lot before making their way into Dusit D2 Hotel which houses several offices and hotels.
  • The vehicle used by the attackers has been cordoned and the Bomb and Hazardous Disposal Unit is preparing to scrutinise it to establish whether it has explosives.
  • Response teams including the Recce Squad, Flying Squad, Anti-Terrorism Police Unit and the bomb squad led by Director DCI George Kinoti have responded.
  • Currently, police are trying to establish exactly where the attackers are using a map of the building so that they can advance into the Dusit D2.
  • One suspect has been arrested and many people rescued in the ongoing operation as police comb DusitD2 Hotel for more attackers.
  • The area has since been cordoned off and motorists are advised to use alternative routes to facilitate smooth operations by the Police.
  • The whereabouts of the attackers, whom witnesses said are about six, is still unknown.
  • Three people with gunshot wounds from the attack have been rushed to the Aga Khan University Hospital and Kenyatta National Hospital.
  • Attack comes exactly three years after the El Adde attack in Somalia where over 100 KDF soldiers were killed.
  • Other injured people have been taken to M P Shah and Avenue hospitals.
  • Many of those who were trapped inside different apartments near the scene attack continue being rescued.
  • Avenue Hospital in Parklands has so far received eight casualties, one in critical condition while another one is a pregnant woman.
  • The Aga Khan Hospital also reports having received four casualties – three men and one “non-African” woman.
  • The biggest challenge so far is getting those injured to hospitals as there is heavy traffic preventing ambulances from leaving the scene of the attack.
READ ALSO:   LIVE STREAMING VIDEO: Nkaissery's burial ceremony

Source: Daily Nation

Continue Reading
poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2018 Calendar

January 2018
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!