Connect with us

News

Sacco to Sue NTSA over Suspension of Their License

Published

on

NTSA Director General Francis Meja

By ALLAN TAWAI

Marimba Investment Sacco on Wednesday, January 3 moved to court to litigate the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) over the suspension of its license.

The Sacco’s license was suspended after two of the Sacco’s crew struck a motorist to death following an argument that ensued after a minor accident.

In a report by Daily Nation, the case was certified urgent by Justice Roselyn Aburili and directed the Sacco’s lawyer to serve NTSA and the traffic commandant with the court papers before the hearing on Friday, January 5.

Through their lawyer Karuku Wachira, , the Sacco said the actions of the driver and his conductor was an individual responsibility and that NTSA has the powers to revoke their licenses. He added that the Sacco had employed over 80 people who are suffering yet they did not a hand in the killing of one Joseph Kiarie.

Wachira said some of the motor vehicles were purchased via loans and grounding them would affect the servicing of the monthly payments which are due between 5th and 10th of every month

Joseph Kiarie died shortly after an argument with the conductor and driver of matatu registration number KCF 932C turned violent and was clobbered to death.

READ ALSO:   Modern Coast, NTSA in cat and mouse game

His car had been involved in a minor accident with the matatu as he left a car wash in Zimmerman estate. The two suspects are still at large. He was laid to rest at their rural home in Komo village, Thika East on Wednesday, January 3

A matatu belonging to Marimba Investment Sacco

A matatu belonging to Marimba Investment Sacco

NTSA Director General Francis Meja had said the suspension will be lifted only after the Sacco fulfills four conditions issued by the authority. They include cooperation with the police in investigations that will lead to the reprehension of the crew involved.

He said the Sacco should also present certificates of good conduct for all its drivers and conductors obtained from the date of the suspension and undertake an awareness workshop which will be conducted by NTSA.

Meja also directed the Sacco to convene a meeting between its members (matatu owners) and the authority.

NTSA regulations require Matatu Saccos to have a code of conduct which should guide the conduct of its crew during working hours.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

PHOTOS: Akothee’s brother breaks down during his late wife’s final send off

Published

on

Akothee and her family are currently in mourning after losing their sister in law; who was married to Akothee’s younger brother, Allan Ignatius.

Judging from the posts shared by Akothee, the mother of 5 avoided mentioning what occurred to her late sister in law; however she went on to celebrate her for being more than a friend but a sister.

Although we may not know what Allan is going through; Akothee went on to share some special message comforting him after losing the love of his life. Akothee went on to write;

Also read:

Asemwomo piny ,kiny an Kodi boda busia kanyo , I would not know what to do with you and the kids , I am here in bed in kisumu with your mom and your entire family ,ready to meet and receive you bro 🙏Be strong for us 💪@allanignatiuskokeyo AWUORO THOOOOOOO 🙏

Send off

Anyway, after keeping the funeral as private as possible; singer Akothee has gone ahead to share a few photos from the funeral on her page. Of course Allan who is currently struggling to get into terms with the fact that his wife is no more.

Judging from the photos, he indeed had nothing but sorrow written all over his face; but all in all his support system continues to hold his hand through this hard time. We from the Ghafla team send our heartfelt condolesence to the family during this hard time.

READ ALSO:   NTSA: Why we suspended Little Shuttle, SWVL vehicles
Akothees sister in law laid to rest

Allans wife laid to rest

BY GHAFLA

Continue Reading

News

Havi asks Treasury to stop paying MPs 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

 

Following Chief Justice’s letter to President Uhuru Kenyatta asking him to dissolve parliament, legislatures are yet to get a dose of their medicine.

The Law Society of Kenya President Nelson Havi has requested Treasury to stop disbursing salaries meant for members of parliament.

Maraga had on Monday, September 21 advised President Uhuru Kenyatta to dissolve parliament because it failed to pass the two-thirds gender rule.

According to LSK’s President, Maraga’s directive stripped members of parliament their legislative powers, hence, rendering all their business unlawful.

“Following the request from the CJ today to the Head of State, all laws passed by the Senate and National Assembly remain null and void. Consequently, Treasury must stop disbursing their salaries as any role they indulge in will have no effect,” stated Nelson Havi.

Additionally, the LSK President faulted some legislatures for claiming the Chief Justice’s advisory didn’t have a time frame compliance that would bind President Kenyatta.

Senate Majority Whip Irungu Kangata, on the other hand, suggested that the Head of State will have complied with the directive if he dissolved parliament in June 2022, sometime before the general elections.

Havi further added that he knew of some legislatures who were ready to resign before President Kenyatta dissolved parliament.

READ ALSO:  

Among those who were ready to quit include Peter Kaluma of Homa Bay, Alice Wahome (Kandara), Uasin Gishu woman representative Gladys Shollei, and Senator Mutula Kilonzo of Makueni.

Speaker Justine Muturi at the same time added that dissolving parliament was unnecessary because it was expensive since it would require a referendum to pass the two-thirds gender rule.

Continue Reading

News

Kenya Airways resume flights to Tanzania 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

The national carrier Kenya Airways (KQ) has announced a resumption of flights to Tanzania after lifting a ban that had been imposed on local aviation operators.

KQ has announced that it will operate two daily flights to Dar es Salaam and three weekly flights to Zanzibar.

The first after-lockdown flight was made to Dar es Salaam on Monday while flights to Zanzibar are expected to return from this coming Saturday.

While announcing the resumption of flights, KQ’s Group CEO Allan Kilavuka said the connectivity is crucial to both economies.

“We are pleased to resume our services to Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar following this announcement by the Tanzanian Government. Tanzania is critical to both Kenya and East Africa’s economic growth and we look forward to our continued collaboration,” he said.

The Tanzanian government, on Wednesday last week announced a lifting of the ban initially imposed to local carriers after a decision by Kenya to exempt arrivals from Tanzania from forced quarantine.

READ ALSO:  
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!