Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Raila cheered on as he addresses mourners in Zimbabwe

Published

on

Thousands of Zimbabweans gathered yesterday to bid a final farewell to opposition veteran Morgan Tsvangirai. Mr Tsvangirai was one of Africa’s most globally admired politicians and lived to see the fall of his political nemesis, Robert Mugabe. Tsvangirai, the country’s fiercest opponent of former president Mugabe’s tyrannical 37-year rule, died last Wednesday aged 65 at a hospital in South Africa, where he had been undergoing treatment for colon cancer.

His body was flown to the burial ceremony aboard a military helicopter, accompanied by his mother, Mbuya Tsvangirai. Thousands of mourners gathered for the burial at Tsvangirai’s Buhera rural home, 220km (135 miles) south of Harare.

Many people in the crowd blew whistles and wore red shirts emblazoned with Tsvangirai’s portrait, some weeping openly. Tsvangirai’s dreams of unseating Mugabe through the ballot box were dashed at several elections.

Political oppression Kenyan opposition leader Raila Odinga, attending the event, condemned political oppression in Africa as he addressed backers of Tsvangirai whose electoral ambitions, like Raila’s, were thwarted at controversial polls.

“Africa is littered with elections which are rigged,” Raila told the crowds. Tsvangirai beat Mugabe in the first round of presidential polls in 2008 but narrowly fell short of the total required to defeat Mugabe outright, according to the official vote count.

READ ALSO:   Raila to be sworn in at Uhuru park on January 30, says NASA

Tsvangirai pulled out of an election run-off following violence which, he said, claimed the lives of at least 200 of his supporters. Raila insists he was the rightful winner of general elections in Kenya in August which extended President Uhuru Kenyatta’s rule. “We need to have clear and proper transparent elections in Africa.

 

 

Rigged elections will not help Africa,” Raila told mourners. “Morgan’s election victory was stolen a year after mine was stolen in Kenya,” Raila said, referring to the 2007 elections which Raila alleges were rigged to ensure Kenyatta’s victory.

Tsvangirai was a tenacious opponent of ruling ZANU-PF party’s four-decade hold on power. Following the 2008 election violence, he was forced into a power-sharing government with Mugabe, who was ousted last year following a military takeover. “He agreed to sacrifice his victory in order to save Zimbabwe. He became one of the leading icons of the second liberation of Africa,” Raila said, describing Tsvangirai as ‘my dear brother’ and a ‘hero’. ALSO READ: Raila: I have full confidence in Ndii, Magaya Yesterday, Siaya Senator James Orengo and businessman Jimi Wanjigi finally flew to Zimbabwe after 18 hours of drama at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), where they had been blocked from travelling.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Raila did not withdraw from Oct 26th Presidential election - Supreme Court

The two flew out of JKIA yesterday at 1.45pm after the Immigration Department returned their passports. “We are on board, we are on the way. Harare here we come,” they said via video as their plane took off. The two had booked tickets to fly to Harare to attend Tsvangirai’s burial when they were blocked at the airport on Monday night.

They had gone to the airport armed with a court order restoring their passports that had been suspended. Director of Immigration Services Gordon Kihalangwa, who had suspended the travel documents, said he had not been served with the order to enable his officers to allow the two to leave. He later tweeted saying he had been served yesterday at around 11am. Court orders “We were served with court orders this morning as requested in regard to the travelling of Hon James Orengo and Mr Jimi Wanjigi.

They have been cleared and allowed to travel.”  Orengo and Wanjigi later said they were to go to their residences for refreshments and return.  “We are not criminals. I am a State officer. If you can deal with me this way it means the authority of Parliament is emasculated,” said Orengo. Zimbabwe is due to hold crucial general elections by July and the country’s new president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, has pledged they will be free, fair, and credible – in honour of Tsvangirai.

READ ALSO:   NASA sends out invitation cards for Raila's 'inauguration'

After being repeatedly beaten and jailed by the regime, Tsvangirai became a symbol of resistance to the ruling ZANU-PF’s authoritarianism, entrenched since Zimbabwe broke from its colonial master Britain in 1980. “We want to thank Morgan Tsvangirai for fighting for our rights.

He was a humble man – a man who was loved by people,” said Christopher Chikwati, a 70-year-old resident of Tsvangirai’s village. “We will remember him forever.” Former opposition leader Arthur Mutambara, who served as Tsvangirai’s deputy in the power-sharing government, said Tsvangirai was Zimbabwe’s rightful president. “We are here to mourn the president of Zimbabwe, Morgan Tsvangirai – a great Zimbabwean, a great African,” he said.  “He was arrested. He was beaten. The people of ZANU-PF are also here, they are the people who killed Morgan Tsvangirai.”

-Standard

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

VIDEO: Someone tell New York Times, in Kenya we align the journalists ourselves

Published

on

A furious Citizen TV journalist turned on his colleagues on Wednesday for blocking his shot during a media briefing that was being televised live.

Senior Reporter Hassan Mugambi, with vast experience in security matters, had spent hours covering events at 14 Riverside complex and did not take it kindly when his view was blocked

In a video clip that has gone viral, Mugambi is seen smacking other journalists on their backs as he tells them to cower and stop blocking his view.

 

READ ALSO:   Raila to be sworn in at Uhuru park on January 30, says NASA
Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Woman claims singer Ben Githae has abandoned her with twins 

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

A woman has come out claiming  Tano Tena hit maker Ben Githae has left her with two little girls.

The woman, Rose Wanjiru said she had an affair with the gospel singer and got twins from the relationship, but Mr Githae has now neglected taking care of the children.

However, reached for comment, Ben Githae rubbished the claims saying he was paying for rent for the woman.

“If she want to soil my name by going to media and if she thinks going to the media will help her, let her do it, but I have not denied the children are mine,” said Mr Githae.

The woman claims she met Mr Githae in 2011 in Thika where he had gone to perform, she got pregnant in 2016.

According to Ms Wanjiru, the singer helped her for sometime and later withdrew. She claims he at one time sent Mungiki thugs to beat her up when she was pregnant. Ms Wanjiru claims Githae later claimed the children belonged to a Pastor called JJ Gitahi.

“I have told him if the children are not his, let him come we carry out a DNA, he has stopped paying for rent, and claimed the children are Pastor JJ’s,” she said adding that she had met with pastor JJ Gitahi on three occasions then stopped so she could concentrate on Mr Githae.

Singer Ben Githae

See video below

READ ALSO:   LIVE FEED: Watch as NASA makes major announcement

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1207943562715878&id=438216603021915

Continue Reading

News

American newspaper New York Times declines to pull down graphic images on Dusit attack

Published

on

The New York Times has come under intense pressure from its readers and Kenyans online for publishing graphic images of victims of Tuesday’s terror attack at Dusit D2 Hotel at Riverside Drive in Nairobi.

Kenyans on Twitter came out in droves to condemn the New York Times after it published gory images that attracted a global outcry.

In a statement, the American publication said: “We have heard from some readers upset with our publishing a photo showing victims after a brutal attack in Nairobi.”

“We understand how painful this coverage can be, and we try to be very sensitive in how we handle both words and images in these situations,” the statement read.

Images published by powerful paper on its website showed bodies in the restaurant, victims covered in blood and gory scenes.

This sparked off an online backlash, with some readers asking the publisher to pull them down, because of their distasteful nature.

But the publisher is yet to delete the photos from their story.

READ ALSO:   LIVE TV: After TV shutdown in Kenya, you can still watch from here....

We want to be respectful to the victims and to others affected by the attack. But we also believe it is important to give our readers a clear picture of the horror of an attack like this — this includes showing pictures that are not sensationalised but that give a real sense of the situation,” the publisher said in a statement published on Twitter on Wednesday morning.

The publisher said they take the same approach worldwide whenever such events occur by balancing the need for sensitivity for respect with its mission of showing the reality of the happenings.

Source: Daily Nation

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!