Connect with us

News

Kenyan Diaspora mother and two kids who died in suspicious house fire buried

Published

on

A Kenyan mother and her two children who perished after their house caught fire under mysterious circumstances in Canberra, Australia, last month were laid to rest on Friday in an emotional sendoff.

The remains of 45-year-old Anne Wachera Muhoro, her son Ezvin (8) and her daughter Furaha (5) were retrieved by firefighters from their house in Bonner on February 19th, after a house fire police say was deliberately lit.

Ezvin and Furaha were fare-welled alongside their mother in a private burial ceremony held at the Norwood Park Crematorium in Gungahlin on Friday morning. The funeral was attended by family and members of the local community.

Ms Muhoro’s estranged husband, who declined to be named, described his two kids as “playful” and “cheerful”, if not a little bit shy.

“Ezvin travelled around the world in 2012. He liked Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. He said he always wanted to go back there.”

It [ceremony] was nice but memories are so strong, They will be greatly missed,” he said.

Some of the family members attending the funeral traveled all the way from Kenya.

Police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of the three and are waiting for results of autopsy and other tests carried on their remains.

READ ALSO:   FBI offers $10,000 reward for kenyan fugitive Kamau Kambui over sex trafficking

Detectives handling the case have appealed to anyone with information that might help in the investigations to come forward. Police said a camera footage taken from the estate between midnight of Sunday, February 18th and 8.45 am Monday, could be of great help.

Ms Muhoro had been working as a software engineer in Canberra and was set to attend a child custody hearing on the day of her death at the Family Court, but failed to show up.

Her estranged husband had moved to court seeking custody of their children. One suspect was apprehended the day after the fire, but was later released.

In 2011, a man identified as George Munene filed an online petition on a website (change.org) against Ms Muhoro, accusing her of denying him a 50/50 child custody of their son, Ezvin Munene Mugera.

“Custody battles are rife and allegations of domestic violence have been misused (by a few women) to gain an upper hand in custody and property settlement battles,” George said in the brief petition.

He further lamented about losing his AUD0.6 million (Sh47.7 million) house to Ms Anne Wachera Muhoro.

At the Funeral Friday, friends expressed their deep desire for answers to the many questions left in the wake of the tragedy.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan pastor in Atlanta set to become a Bishop

Ms Muhoro’s best friend, Edith Miuruka, paid tribute to her as a good Christian and a skilled migrant with an “enviable career” in software engineering.

Ms Miuruka expressed her deep grief and confusion over the death.

“There was no sign that our planned lunch would never be,” she said.

There are still many unanswered questions surrounding the Bonner house fire: police have not identified a cause, nor have they ruled out the three were already dead when the fire was set.

Ms Miuruka said her friend had weathered many “tough seasons” as a migrant in Canberra, but that she had said 2018 would be a good year.

“People may not know the true story … may divine intervention intervene to reveal Anne’s true story,” she said.

Police stand near their car while a house damaged by fire is obstructed by screens.

Ms Muhoro’s youngest brother, Peter, said when thinking about the deaths of a five-year-old and an eight-year-old, “you ask a lot of questions”.

“But you know, they had a great life, they had a joyous life,” he said.

Community desperate for answers

The unanswered questions also hung heavy in the speeches from community and church leaders.

Godfrey Munthomi, president of the East African Community Association, expressed thanks to emergency services workers who discovered the Kenyan family.

READ ALSO:   Kenyans in the US in solidarity against Hurricane Florence's devastation

“We are grateful, as you try to unravel what may or may not have happened. No pressure,” he said.

Mourners sung in Swahili as the coffins were carried out

The High Commissioner to Kenya also spoke on behalf of the community, and offered the Kenyan Government’s condolences.

“As a community we learned with great shock … and in circumstances we are struggling to come to terms with,” Isaiah Kabira said.

“In God we trust that one day all shall be revealed to us.”

Chaplain Richard Bevan said as a church leader he was often asked “Why?” at a time of death.

Reflecting upon the three deaths, Mr Bevan said he asked himself the same question.

“One thing I am absolutely sure of was this was not God’s will,” he said.

 

-Mwakilishi.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Family Bank cleared in NYS scandal after reaching a settlement with DPP

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

Family Bank can now breathe easy after Director of Public Prosecution Noordin Haji cleared it on National Youth Service money laundering case.

The bank’s name has been removed from charges filed against it and its former employees . This was after the bank settled the matter as per an agreement reached between it and the DPP

Family bank’s lawyers  Waweru Gatonye and Cecil Miller told the magistrate that the bank has complied with all the conditions agreed upon with the DPP.

A deputy DPP Ms Dorcas Oduor confirmed to Mr Andayi that the bank has complied with the terms of removal from the case and therefore it should be cleared from blame.

“I am not opposed the matter against the bank being marked as settled,” Ms Oduor told the court.

Source: Daily Nation

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Angry Diaspora Kenyans take Uhuru head on over Miguna fiasco
Continue Reading

News

Uhuru, Ruto on lunch date a day after controversial appointment of Matiang’i

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy, William Ruto, on Wednesday, shut down dispute rumours with a lunch date in Mombasa.

Uhuru hosted Ruto for a Swahili lunch merely a day after he re-organized his cabinet seemingly trimming down responsibilities for his deputy.

The meeting was reportedly a closed door one in which the two intended to discuss the President’s recent appointments that sparked talks all across the country.

On Tuesday, Uhuru appointed Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i as the new chairman for National Development Implementation Technical Committee.

 

Matiang’i, a brash go-getter, was tasked with supervising all state projects including the all-important Big 4 Agenda.

As the Chairperson, Matiang’i will also answer directly to President Uhuru.

President Uhuru Kenyatta with Mombasa residents shortly after the meeting

This prompted several leaders to react to the changes including Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen, a close ally of Ruto, who sarcastically congratulated Uhuru on his move.

 

 

“Congratulations to President Uhuru for the Exec Order 1 of 2019 and to my friends CSs Matiang’i and Henry Rotich for the additional responsibilities.

“We look forward to a more co-ordinated service delivery and greater accountability to the people of Kenya. God bless you William Ruto,” posted Murkomen.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan pastor in Atlanta set to become a Bishop

Below are more photos:

President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto shortly after the meeting
DP Ruto is driven away after the meeting with Uhuru-kenyans.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: See what Ruto and Uhuru did just a day after cabinet shakeup

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

President Uhuru Kenyatta hosted Deputy President William Ruto for a Swahili lunch date in Mombasa.

This is a day after announcing a cabinet re-organization that diluted the influence of Mr Ruto.

The president had on Tuesday issued Executive Order No 1 2019 that named Interior Secretary Fred Matiang’i as chairman of the National Development Implementation and Communication Cabinet Committee.

Dr Matiang’i’s  super role of providing ‘supervisory leadership” in national government programmes and projects has been seen as the president’s effort to remove his deputy from the inspection and management of key government projects.

Deputy President William Ruto is driven away after his lunch date with President Uhuru Kenyatta in Mombasa. PHOTO | KEVIN ODIT

 

President Uhuru Kenyatta waves to his supporters after having lunch at Barka restaurant in Mombasa

 

 

President Uhuru Kenyatta waves to his supporters after having lunch at Barka restaurant in Mombasa

READ ALSO:   FBI offers $10,000 reward for kenyan fugitive Kamau Kambui over sex trafficking
Continue Reading

Trending