Connect with us

Africa

Larry Madowo threatens to delete his twitter account over trolling

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

Embattled Kenyan journalist Larry Madowo says he is ready to quit Twitter if the San Francisco headquartered company does not respond to his complaints.

In an opinion piece in the influential American Newspaper Washington Post, Madowo says  Twitter is hopelessly broken and often tone-deaf.

“I have over 1 million twitter followers and I am ready to quit,” writes Madowo.

Though one of the most popular media personalities in Kenya with a huge following, Madowo equally has a fair share of “haters” who troll him on social media. A case in point is a photo he posted while in the Emergency Room (ER) after a bicycle accident on Friday with the caption:

“Check out my hot new arm accessory after a trip to the ER for a bad fall while cycling. I’ll be rocking this baby everywhere.”

Larry Madowo in hospital. PHOTO/COURTESY

This did not seem to go well with his critics who, in their thousands, made very derogatory comments.

Rozah Njiruh wrote: “In hospital bed and enjoying as if in a 5 Star hotel? Only that you have money to waste. An ordinary Kenya will break his arm and go for kibarua. In the mean time, NASA died yesterday.”

Wagacunga wrote the following in KSN’s comments section : “Isnt it strange how people in the public eye use the media when it suits them. Like posting a picture of oneself on a hospital bed smiling like the cat that got the cream. When people criticise their action, they cry foul. Why should you not be trolled? Kenya is a country where people cant afford (majority) to go to your kind of hospitals. That picture is sure to irk many. Close your account by all means. Twitter wont die because you aint there.”

READ ALSO:   VIDEO:Jalang’o gets emotional as he clutters out over 30 pairs of shoes, he owns over 3000

A clearly liid Madowo has told off Twitter for ignoring those in the rest of the world. “If you think Twitter is a mess in America, it is even worse for the rest of the world.

Says he: “My experience on the platform has been the most degrading experience of my career. I am constantly considering deleting my account for good. If nothing changes soon, I will have no choice but to deactivate it and walk away from the vile, toxic mess it is for heavy users with strong opinions like me.

Hate and abuse are now synonymous with tweeting, but Twitter’s indifference (or inability) to deal with it has been particularly damaging. I’ve reported multiple accounts that directly threatened me or whose abuse crossed a line — yet there is almost always no response from Twitter — especially if the offending tweets are in local languages. In the most egregious instances, offenders just registered new accounts to continue their hateful campaigns after I blocked them.”

Trolling has been taking a toll on Kenyan celebrities in the recent past as “hate speech” continues to spread on social media like bush fire.

Madowo recently discontinued his engagement as a Daily Nation columnist after his seniors refused to publish last week’s #FrontRow article, which was critical of the government’s decision to shut down four television stations and how media managers handled the situation.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. My My

    March 11, 2018 at 4:32 am

    Isnt it strange how people in the public eye use the media when it suits them. Like posting a picture of oneself on a hospital bed smiling like the cat that got the cream. When people criticise their action, they cry foul. Why should you not be trolled? Kenya is a country where people cant afford (majority) to go to your kind of hospitals. That picture is sure to irk many. Close your account by all means. Twitter wont die because you aint there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

PHOTOS: Uhuru all smiles in Namibia as drought crisis persists in Kenya

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta led a high-powered delegation to attend Namibia’s independence day celebrations, despite the raging drought crisis in the country.

Pictures shared on the State House social media accounts show the head of state and those on his entourage all smiles during the celebrations that were held at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek.

President Uhuru Kenyatta arrives at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek to Namibia’s independence day celebrations. PHOTO | COURTESY

“President @UKenyatta arrives at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek to join the people of Namibia for celebrations to mark 29 years of their country’s independence,” read the caption.

Some of those in his delegation included his daughter Ngina, personal assistant Jomo Gecaga, ministers Monica Juma (Foreign Affairs), James Macharia (Transport) and Mwangi Kiunjuri (Agriculture), among others.

President Uhuru Kenyatta is welcomed at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek to Namibia’s independence day celebrations. PHOTO | COURTESY

At least 10 people have been reported dead as a result of the drought that has hit a number of counties.

The worst-hit are Baringo, Turkana and West Pokot.

Senior government officials, including Deputy President William Ruto, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i and his Devolution counterpart Eugene Wamalwa have, however, claimed that no Kenyan has died from starvation. They say the situation is under control.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO:Jalang’o gets emotional as he clutters out over 30 pairs of shoes, he owns over 3000

SOURCE: Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Africa

Zambia High Commissioner dies while receiving treatment in Nairobi

Published

on

Zambia High Commissioner to Kenya, Her Excellency Brenda Muntemba-Sichilembe has died.

The 49-year old High Commissioner has been receiving treatment since she was involved in a fatal road accident at Machakos on February 26.

Foreign PS Macharia Kamau has confirmed the death.

Ms Muntemba-Sichilembe was initially admitted at the Machakos Level 5 Hospital, and then flown to Nairobi and operated on to stem internal bleeding where she was admitted in Intensive care unit (ICU).

Prior to her appointment to this role, she served as Chief Program Officer at UNESCO in Zambia.

More to follow…

READ ALSO:   Wilbroda: We are still in good terms with Papa Shirandula even though he fired me
Continue Reading

Africa

Museveni accepts proposal to run for 6th term in 2021, says he’s ‘still very able’

Published

on

Uganda President Yoweri Museveni, aged 74, has affirmed he still has the strength to extend his rule to hit the four-decade mark.

He spoke after the National Resistance Movement (NRM) lawmakers endorsed him to continue leading the party and the state in a controversial move.

The parliamentary caucus in Kyankwanzi District unanimously endorsed the Chobe resolution by the party’s central executive committee (CEC) to have President Museveni continue leading the neighbouring East African nation.

“I’m therefore very pleased with your confidence in me and since I am still very able and I happen to be among the most conversant with this journey, I happily agree to serve,” said the President, fetching a thunderous applause from the legislators who nominated him unanimously on Sunday.

NRM Spokesperson Rogers Mulindwa, in a statement on Sunday, said the legislators’ position was taken shortly after secretary-general Justine Ksaule Lumumba’s presentation titled: Towards 2021: Milestones and Strategies for the NRM Party. 

This development implies that Museveni, already in power for 33 years, will be seeking a record sixth term in power during the 2021 general election.

He will battle it out in the 2021 poll with 37 year old MP Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine and 62 year old Kizza Besigye, who has unsuccessfully tried to dislodge Museveni in Uganda’s 2001, 2006, 2011, and 2016 elections.

READ ALSO:   My wife was cheating, Shaffie says on embarrassing Nax-Vegas photos

Museveni has been in power since January 26, 1986.

source: Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!