Connect with us

Diaspora

Body of Kenyan man still in N. Carolina mortuary close to 3 months after his death

Published

on

BY CAPT. GEORGE NJUE
The body of Justin Kitogho Mwashigdadi (whose picture appears above), a scientist and a graduate of West Virginia Univesity,  who passed away on Sunday March 11th 2018 at Vidant Hospital in Greenville NC,  has been lying at a funeral home in the heartland of East North Carolina since then. The reason is that his family is not able to bury him here nor repatriate the body for burial in Taita Taveta County.
Justin was a resident of North Carolina for 12 years. He got ill 5 years ago after suffering a stroke and it was then he was diagnosed with diabetes. He was then treated and was put on disability because he could not work anymore.



He lived with a fiancé, Maurine O Dell, for 12 years and when he fell sick , she took care of him till his death. Sometime in early March, Maurine was called while at work and told that Justin had been found on the floor.
She advised the caller to call 911. So Justin was taken to Dublin General hospital where he was diagnosed with bleeding in the brain. Six hour later he was flown to Greenville hospital and died a week later.
According to Maurine, all this information was passed to the family back in Mombasa, who at one point were asked to give consent to disconnect the life-saving machine. Now the family tried to get help from the Kenya embassy in Washington DC and they were referred to the ministry for foreign affairs who in return said they could not help.
Justin doesn’t seem to have been in any contact with Kenyans in USA and doesn’t seem  to have  had any relatives in USA, according to Maureen, who  lived with him for 12 years till his death.
This matter was brought to our attention by someone who posted the information in a Kenyan community WhatsApp group as well as from a video clip of Kenyan tv news item lamenting the lack of unity among the Kenyan diaspora in USA. Since then we have contacted the funeral home and the family at home and confirmed the details.
Simon Mwashigdadi, a son to the deceased told me he contacted  the Kenyan embassy in Washington DC as soon as the father died and he was referred to the ministry of foreign affairs who also said they could not help to bring the body home but could help with the paperwork if need be.
Knowing that help will never come from the government of Kenya, we have formed a committee to steer the fundraising & funeral plans here in Raleigh North Carolina chaired by myself,  with   John Mwawana as secretary and Solomon Molla as the treasurer.
We are encouraging others to join in so as to complete this task and are calling upon all Kenyans of goodwill wherever they are to help us with resources.  Little by little, we can do it and it’ll not be aa big a burden. However, if left to only a few, they might not even be able to bury him here in the US.
So we plan to repatriate the remains for burial in Taita Taveta in accordance to his family’s wish. We need at least $ 13,000 to do this and also enable his fiancé of 12 years to travel to Kenya and give the family the account of his life in the US.
Please direct your contributions to
Or
My condolences to the family. May Justin Rest In Peace.
At your service
Capt George Njue
For concerns contact:-
Capt. Njue 919 612 5893
John Mwawana 919 209 8242
Solomon Molla 919  345 4073
Elvis Kirando 254 716 701 404
Simon Mwashigdadi 254 20 73311855

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: "Churchill Show" to be recorded live in Atlanta, several shows to follow in other US cities
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Diaporans engage in intense debate over Huduma Namba

Published

on

Intense debate has erupted among Kenyans living abroad over recent announcement by Interior Ministry Cabinet Secretary, Fred Matiang’i that Kenyans in the diaspora have until June 20, 2019 to register for Huduma Namba.

In making the announcement, Dr Matiang’i disclosed that in fact, the registration exercise for Kenyans living abroad started at Kenyan consulates and embassies abroad on May 6, 2019.

“We began another phase of registration this week that addresses Kenyans in the diaspora. We have distributed a total of 154 Kiems kits in 54 missions around the world,” said Dr Matiang’i in a press conference last Monday.

He added : “ The deadline for those living in Kenya is May 18, and the government will not extend the deadline.”

But President Uhuru Kenyatta has since extended the deadline by a week after it emerged that a large number of Kenyans were yet to get registered at the lapse of yesterday’s deadline.

Kenyans living abroad ordinarily embrace such initiatives from the government and rush to be first on line believing it is beneficial to them in the long run. But this time around, things seem to be totally different. There are no reported long lines at the Kenyan embassy in Washington, DC or High Commission in London for instance since the exercise began a week ago.

READ ALSO:   CHECK YOUR LUCK: Results for Green Card Lottery 2020 are out! Good luck

Intense debate

Rather, what is going on among the diaspora is an intense debate on social media and community groups on the merits and demerits of the Huduma Namba.

Most Kenyans in the US interviewed by the Sunday Nation agreed that the Huduma Namba is a great initiative if smoothly carried out in terms of registration as the government has said it will be a unique identifier of every person legally in Kenya and Kenyans in the diaspora.

However, most were also livid that just like the Social Security number in the US, the Huduma Namba will be an authenticator as it will have data on aspects of every one’s day to day life.

“The lack of privacy of the Huduma Namba will open it up to fraud especially if used to authenticate individuals,” said Dr Kennedy Simiyu, Research Director at the University of Maryland adding that Kenyans in the US are questioning the basis for having a deadline for the Huduma Namba.

“If the purpose of having services centred on one registration platform then individuals should apply for the Huduma Namba at will,” he said.

Mr Festus Kasyoka Mbuvi, a Kenyan resident of Boston, Massachusetts is leading a group of Kenyans abroad who are arguing that the whole aspect of Huduma Namba reeks of colonial mentality.

READ ALSO:   Illegal immigrants turn to GoFundMe in effort to stay in U.S.

By Chris Wamalwa, Sunday Nation

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Here is another chance for you to live and work in Canada

Canada’s May 1st Express Entry Draw Invites 3,350 Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residency, Targets 81,400 for 2019.

Published

on

In the latest draw held on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 for the Express Entry program, the government of Canada has invited 3,350 candidates with Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

Individuals who enter the drawing and are selected for ITA get a chance to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

The government sets a minimum score needed to qualify for each draw – Comprehensive Ranking system (CRS) score, which is based on such factors as age, education, skilled work experience, family ties in Canada, and fluency in either English or French. The minimum score for the May 1st draw was 450, a reduction of 1 point over the minimum score for the April 17th draw, in which another 3,350 candidates were invited for ITAs.

So far in 2019 Canada has issued 31,250 ITAs, against a target of 81,400 for fiscal year 2019.

Candidates who are issued ITAs are given 60 days to submit a complete application permanent residency as the first step towards moving to or remaining in Canada as a permanent resident.

Candidates who apply for Express Entry remain the the selection pool for 12 months if they are not immediately invited to apply. The government says while in the selection pool, the candidate can continue to improve his or her score by among other things gaining more relevant work experience, improving education level, improving language score, or getting a job offer in Canada.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: How a Kenyan boy raised by a single mom rose to earn a Masters in Nuclear Medicine #DIASPORASTORIES

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

In the latest draw held on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 for the Express Entry program, the government of Canada has invited 3,350 candidates with Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

Individuals who enter the drawing and are selected for ITA get a chance to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

The government sets a minimum score needed to qualify for each draw – Comprehensive Ranking system (CRS) score, which is based on such factors as age, education, skilled work experience, family ties in Canada, and fluency in either English or French. The minimum score for the May 1st draw was 450, a reduction of 1 point over the minimum score for the April 17th draw, in which another 3,350 candidates were invited for ITAs.

So far in 2019 Canada has issued 31,250 ITAs, against a target of 81,400 for fiscal year 2019.

Candidates who are issued ITAs are given 60 days to submit a complete application permanent residency as the first step towards moving to or remaining in Canada as a permanent resident.

Candidates who apply for Express Entry remain the the selection pool for 12 months if they are not immediately invited to apply. The government says while in the selection pool, the candidate can continue to improve his or her score by among other things gaining more relevant work experience, improving education level, improving language score, or getting a job offer in Canada.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: How Kenyan women in Diaspora are being conned of millions by Kenya based 'lovers'

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

SOURCE: Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Diaspora

VIDEO: Kenyan who killed an American woman in Tacoma car crash suffered from schizophrenia – Lawyer

Published

on

Kenyan born Win Gikonyo has pleaded insanity in a case where she has been charged with vehicular homicide in Tacoma, Washington.

Ms Gikonyo, 26, is said to have crashed her car into a Toyota Prius belonging to Ms Marianne Burton.

My client was suffering from hallucinations when she crashed her new Hyundai Elantra into 60-year-old Marianne Burton’s Toyota Prius, defense attorney Michael Stewart told the court.

“She was hearing voices shouting commands in her ear,” Stewart said. “… She felt that she could communicate with the traffic lights.”

Gikonyo wrote in a declaration filed with the court that she understands her plea means the court could hospitalize her indefinitely if she’s found to be a substantial danger to herself or others. She also understands that if the court finds she is not a substantial danger, it could put conditions on her release — including prohibiting her from driving.

A report filed by a psychologist at Western State Hospital this month diagnosed Gikonyo with “unspecified schizophrenia spectrum or other psychotic disorder” and found her to be a low risk to re-offend or exhibit dangerous behavior.

Blood tests showed Gikonyo wasn’t under the influence of drugs or alcohol when she drove more than 100 miles per hour, tried to pass two cars, then hit Burton’s car April 18, 2018 near 84th Street and McKinley Avenue.

Burton died at the scene.

Win Gikonyo appeared in Pierce County Superior Court, with her attorney Michael Stewart, right. Gikonyo pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to vehicular homicide for the Tacoma crash that killed Marianne Burton

Her family was not happy with the resolution of the case.

Her daughter, Amber Falaschi, told the court Tuesday that she doesn’t believe Gikonyo was insane at the time of the wreck. She argued that Gikonyo had held a job and bought a car — “things that insane people don’t generally do.”

READ ALSO:   I truly love my 54 year old American boyfriend, says 21 year old Kenyan woman

“She stole my mother’s life from everyone who knew her,” Falaschi said.

Members of the family of the crash victim. PHOTO I SCREENSHOT

Burton’s son, James Burton, told the court by phone that his mother had been less than two years from retirement when she died.

“My mother was robbed of her hard-earned retirement and her life,” he said.

Burton cleaned houses a few days a week and had been working at a pizza shop, according to News Tribune archives.

Her family said Burton was beloved by her cleaning clients and pizza shop coworkers, to whom she was a sort of store mom.

She was making a pizza delivery at the time of the crash.

Stewart read a letter that Gikonyo wrote in which she apologized to Burton’s family and said she hoped they could forgive her one day.

“I just want to tell you how sorry I am,” it read in part. “… Please know it was an accident.”

He said Gikonyo had moved out of her mother’s home before the wreck and isolated herself. Her mother didn’t know where she was for several months.

Charging papers said Gikonyo started rolling in the street as officers tried to speak with her after the wreck, and that at various points she hissed, spat and pretended to be dead.

READ ALSO:   CHECK YOUR LUCK: Results for Green Card Lottery 2020 are out! Good luck

“She was suffering from hallucinations and is not legally responsible for her actions at the time,” Stewart said of the crash.

She underwent treatment at Western State and is responding very well to medication now, he said.

Superior Court Judge Frank Cuthbertson acknowledged that Tuesday was tough for Burton’s family.

“I know that this is not cathartic, that this is unsatisfying,” he told them. “… to lose a parent is terrible.”

When it comes to convicting someone of a crime, Cuthbertson told the family, a judge has to look at the act and the mental state of a defendant.

“You have to have both,” he said. “This is a classic case of when that comes into play.”

He noted that Gikonyo doesn’t have any criminal history.

The judge also said that she has prior hospitalizations for mental health treatment and for some reason discontinued her medication in the past.

“I’m concerned about her going off the medication, because this can’t happen again,” Cuthbertson said.

He ordered her held without bail pending a hearing in two weeks to discuss what mental health treatment Gikonyo will get going forward.

2018 Reporting: Woman accused of fatal wreck hissed, rolled in street and said ‘life goes on,’ charges say

A woman accused of causing a fatal crash in Tacoma rolled in the street, pretended to be dead in the ambulance and told police “Life goes on” after the wreck, records show.

Win Gikonyo, 25, was charged Friday with vehicular homicide for the death of Marianne Burton, 60. She is expected to appear in court this afternoon.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: "Churchill Show" to be recorded live in Atlanta, several shows to follow in other US cities

Burton died Wednesday after Gikonyo tried to pass two cars on McKinley Avenue East while traveling more than 100 mph and slammed into Burton’s Toyota Prius, police said.

Nobody witnessed the collision but a passerby stopped moments later and found the Prius on a sidewalk near 84th Street East. The driver’s door was too damaged to open and debris was spread across the street.

Burton was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gikonyo was found about 200 feet south outside her new Hyundai Elantra, which lost both passenger side tires in the collision.

A witness told police Gikonyo sped past her just before the crash and veered into oncoming traffic to go around slower vehicles in the southbound lane.

When officers tried to speak to Gikonyo, she allegedly fell to her stomach, insisted on sitting on a tree branch rather than the curb and began rolling in the street.

She also rolled around in the back of the patrol car, hissing and spitting, according to charging papers.

Police came to draw blood later to see if she was under the influence and Gikonyo “laid on the gurney, rigid, and pretended to be dead,” records show.

She did not respond to questions and signed the wrong name when she was booked into Pierce County Jail.

When corrections officers asked if she understood another driver had been killed in the crash, she told them “Life goes on,” documents show.

 

– AGENCIES

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!