Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Sharon was impregnated by the governor who suspected his son, says Nation journalist

Published

on

IN BRIEF: “Obado suspected that Sharon, who was pregnant with his child, was double dealing him with his son after noticing that they were frequently texting each other,” says the journalist.

Nation Media Group journalist Barrack Oduor who was abducted alongside slain Rongo University student Sharon Otieno but managed to escape is now speaking out…and the details are explosive.

Oduor, who escaped by jumping off the moving car belonging to kidnappers, now claims that he was privy to details about the alleged love triangle between Sharon and Migori Governor Okoth Obado.

Speaking to Daily Nation, the reporter who claims to have interacted with Sharon for long said Governor Obado allegedly fell out with the 26-year-old after discovering that she was in contact with his (Obado) son.

“I met with Sharon and interacted severally for the past one month. She told me she was having an affair with Obado who had even impregnated her but refused to take responsibility of the pregnancy. She informed me their relationship went south after Obado realised she was chatting with his son thus cheating on him,” Oduor said.

The journalist said Sharon contacted him seeking to have her affair with the ODM Governor exposed since he had abandoned her after she became pregnant.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan woman charged with having sex with a boy in police cells

“The girl who was a student confirmed she received Sh 100,000 from Obado a month before we met. However, she said the governor neglected her calls and text messages after sending the amount which was less than what he used to send before,” Oduor explained.

He says Governor Obado accused her of cheating on him with his son after he found out that the two had been exchanging text messages.

Sharon’s mother admitted to having knowledge of her daughter’s engagement with Obado but claimed that Obado had refused to fulfill his promise of awarding her county government tenders.

A post-mortem examination carried out on her body on Friday confirmed that Sharon died from excessive bleeding after being stabbed several times on the stomach, neck and back.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

VIDEO: Turmoil, panic at Nation Media Group as hundreds receive termination letters

Published

on

Mass lay-offs at Nation Media Group began Thursday in earnest with preliminary reports indicating deep cuts touching on a number of senior editors and managers.

Reports  paint a ruthless restructuring that will leave Nation Centre numb for some time.

Long-serving and one of the most recognizable NTV news anchors, Ken Mijungu was among the first people in the Broadcasting Divison to shown the door.

Today, the process started with the newspaper section, where 40 journalists are targeted, and management before it moves to NTV tomorrow. The big casualties so far  include Nation Newspaper Division Managing Director Francis Munywoki, partnerships & projects manager and long-serving education editor David Aduda, Business Daily Managing Editor Ng’ang’a Mbugua and Daily Nation News Editor Francis Wanyonyi Wambilianga.

Twin Tower bloodbath

Also picked on the first day of staff reorganization are editions editor Mark Agutu, agriculture editor Julius Sigei, Gabriel Chege of IT, Veronica Chirchir (HR), output editor Joe Mbuthia, Martin Mwangi (Deputy Chief Sub Editor) and Revise Editor Henry Gekonde. Nancy Ogutu, Peter Choge and Momanyi Maosa from the online department/ Nation Digital have also been shown the door.

David Aduda, who previously worked as editorial manager, is among editors who have negotiated an exit package through which they will be contracted to offer critical editorial services under NMG’s new outsourcing model.

Others are George Omondi (Business Daily, Section Editor) and Eldoret regional editor (bureau chief) Jeremiah Kiplagat. Ng’ang’a Mbugua was among editors who got promoted in January 2019, moving from Daily Nation to Managing Editor of Business Daily. Joe Mbuthia had been hoisted Production Editor/Head of Production to output editor.

Peter Choge together with Momanyi Maosa are said to have been on contracts as online sub-editors which expired and have not been renewed.

In Finance, Alex Shikami, a Senior Internal Auditor, has been kicked out. Munywoki joined NMG in November 2017 from Standard Group and had been hoped to reengineer the newspaper section to make it more profitable. Instead, the newspaper division, NMG’s flagship and cashcow, has been losing business by the week, cutting revenues and profitability.

The 40 editorial staff will continue receiving their letters up to next week. It is understood that some of people affected, especially younger ones, will be recalled starting August to work on contracts, according to discussions in yesterday’s zoom meeting. The Group is targeting to lay off over 100.

Curiously, most affected employees are male, online with NMG Group Editorial Director Mutuma Mathiu’s promise, last year, to “protect ladies” as much as he could, someone familiar with this assertion told BT.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan woman charged with having sex with a boy in police cells

Interesting changes are on the newsdesk. Inside Nation Centre rumors last year were that the newsdesk was dominated by Luhya editors. It’s not clear whether this happened by design or coincidence. A plan, it seems, was crafted to correct that anomaly and enhance ethnic balance on the desk. The desk has so far lost Bernard Namunane, Peter Leftie (who has since returned to The People), Lucas Barasa (now with Mandera County Government), and now Wanyonyi Wambilianga, all from the Luhya ethnic extraction. Wambilianga is said to have fallen out with Daily Nation Managing Editor Pamela Sittoni.

Now Harrison Misiko remains the only editor from the Luhyia community on the desk, although he is an assistant news editor. With Wambilianga’s exit the newsdesk has been left with only Misiko, after Dave Opiyo landed a job as Director Communications at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) in April this year.

The NMG editorial leadership was forced to recall Misiko who was working from home, early today, to come and man the desk, after Wambilianga was laid off.

The management says it is re-engineering the Nation Media Group to accelerate its digital transformation. In this new model, it will utilize technology more and cut down on human resource.

Those affected will receive counselling support, while those stationed outside Nairobi will be offered relocation assistance. Also, the laid-off staff will receive medical cover for a period of two months until August 31, 2020, in a rare show of magnanimity.

Thereafter, the company has negotiated a medical insurance scheme through its current provider which those affected may opt to individually join.

The layoff comes at a very tricky time when most media houses are offloading employees to survive the Covid-19 pandemic disruption. Already Mediamax has sent home nearly 100, while Royal Media Services is restructuring in a low-profile style. Standard Group is waiting for the whistle.

Small is beautiful

Suddenly, small is beautiful for a big media house with operations across East Africa.

NMG, hoping to ride the tech wave made more popular by stay-at-home protocols for stemming the spread of Covid-19, is betting big on mobile delivery of its journalism products and advertising. “This new reality necessitates the reengineering of Nation Media Group to accelerate its digital transformation,” the company’s CEO Stephen Gitagama said in a circular to staff on 1st July 2020.

“In this journey, the group seeks to be innovative, agile and adaptive with the objective to take up leadership in the mobile publishing landscape in Africa while passionately living our mission to positively transform society, by creating new value and generating quality, differentiated and engaging content to consumers, however, wherever and whenever they need it.”

READ ALSO:   Sharon and I were lovers: Obado

The company will be concentrating its investment and human resources on new areas critical for growth. Inevitably, this will result in merging and scrapping of some sections which will in turn lead to a reduction of its workforce. “This is an extremely difficult decision in view of the prevailing circumstances,” he said.

Insiders say the company is targeting to offload more than 100 employees across its operations in East Africa, though Kenya will bear the biggest shave. Mr Gitagama says the exercise will be carried out with utmost due respect to our employees and within the Kenyan laws. “We will strive to provide all the necessary support to help them manage the transition,” he said.

Moving to Mombasa Road

Nation Media Group operates print, broadcast and digital media outlets in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania, with operations in print, broadcast and digital media.

The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has destabilized most businesses globally, including in Kenya. Many companies have either shutdown or substantially scaled down operations due to the drastic decline in revenues. The media industry in the country has severely been impacted.

NMG will be permanently adopting a work-at-home model implemented in March to ensure social distancing at the workplace, where a section of its workers have been working away from the office permanently.

Having some workers sacked and others working from home will reduce pressure on office space, allowing it to cut down on rent at the iconic Nation Centre, owned by its sister company Property Development Management (PDM). The board and management are considering moving the NMG offices from the city centre to its Mombasa Road printing press premises.

While a financially prudent move, working from home and away from the city centre comes with its share of challenges. Standard Group tried the out-of-town model but was forced to relocate back to the CBD after experiencing delays in getting to story subjects and press conferences. Working at home might spring coordination issues especially for reporters who are required to be ever mobile.

The media industry is keenly watching how the virtual office model will be implemented by NMG and which, indeed, it will cut cost and enhance its mobile transformation.

FULL CIRCULAR

Nation Media Group

Media of Africa for Africa

To All Staff-NMG Kenya 1st July, 2020

RE: REORGANISATION

Dear Colleagues,

I trust you are keeping well and staying safe while observing the Ministry of

Health protocols on prevention of COVID-19 pandemic.

READ ALSO:   Kori weeps in court

In my last communication, | stated how the COVID-I9 pandemic has resulted in global uncertainty and unprecedented challenges impacting most businesses adversely. As you are aware, many companies have either shutdown, substantially scaled down operations or re-engineered themselves due to the drastic decline in revenues. Globally, the media sector has not been spared by the pandemic and media houses including NMG, having been severely impacted.

During this period, management has undertaken several cost-saving interventions to enable business continuity, ensure sustenance of livelihoods of staff and their dependents and continue delivery of services to our customers. However, despite taking these key actions, the business has continued bearing the brunt of the pandemic.

In view of the current adverse impact on business performance, the temporary salary reduction will be extended to 31 December 2020. This unavoidable action will be reviewed depending on the company’s performance and as the COVID-19 situation evolves. Individual letters will be sent to the affected employees.

Further, this new reality necessitates the re-engineering of NMG to accelerate the Group’s digital transformation. In this journey, the Group seeks to radically change its business model from print advertising and physical reader copy to digital advertising, ePaper subscription and content-driven reader revenue with the objective of establishing leadership in the mobile publishing landscape in Africa while exploring other new revenue streams in the experiential and technology space.

This will require re-tooling and resourcing the Group with relevant skill sets critical for success in the new business environment. Regrettably, this will result in a reduction of our workforce effective Friday, July 3, 2020.

It is an extremely difficult decision in view of the prevailing circumstances and we understand the impact this will have on those affected and their families. The exercise will be carried out with utmost respect to our affected colleagues and in adherence to the Kenyan labour laws. We will strive to provide the necessary support to help exiting staff manage this difficult transition.

We have made special arrangements for those affected to receive counselling support. Colleagues stationed outside of Nairobi who are affected will be offered relocation assistance. The affected staff will receive medical cover for a period of two months until August 31, 2020. Thereafter, the company has negotiated a medical insurance scheme through its current provider which those affected may opt to individually join.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to speak with your line manager or contact Human Resources Department.

Stephen Gitagama

GROUP CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER,

Nation Media Group

 

-Businesstoday.co.ke

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Here’s Kambua’s advice to women battling infertility

Published

on

Kambua

Award-winning gospel singer-songwriter, Kambua Mathu has penned a reassuring message to women who are struggling to get babies.

Kambua’s message is personal as she went through the same experience for years.

In previous posts, Kambua revealed how she was mocked for not bearing a child after her wedding.

“God put you heavy on my heart today because this is a journey I know only too well. A journey of pain, loss, despair, but also, a journey of hope. See the odds were against me too. But God had the final say. All it takes is one move from him,” she wrote.

Kambua’s latest message was also directed to women who after carrying the pregnancy to full term walk home empty-handed after losing their children in the delivery rooms.

“I am thinking about the woman who finally got a miracle conception, heard the heartbeat, and then learned that there was a complication- no more cardiac activity. I am thinking about the woman who went full term, laboured, and brought forth a beautiful baby, perfect, only that they didn’t cry; they didn’t make it to this side of the earth,” she said.

Kambua further advised the women to trust in God as it only takes one move from him to make things right.

READ ALSO:   SHOCKING REVELATION: My wife beat me up, says Kenyan Bishop [VIDEO]

“I am thinking about you because sometimes it seems as though nobody does. God put you heavy on my heart today because this is a journey I know only too well. A journey of pain, loss, despair, but also, a journey of hope. See the odds were against me too. But God had the final say. All it takes is one move from him. I pray that you see with the eyes of faith that your miracle is closer than ever. I don’t know how God will do it. Maybe naturally like he did for me, maybe IVF like he’s done for others, maybe through the beautiful path of adoption, or perhaps surrogacy… I don’t know. What I do know is that He is a covenant keeper. And he will keep his promise to you.💝,” she ended her post.

BY Nairobi News

Continue Reading

News

Ezekiel Mutua breaks silence on Anita Nderu’s gay cooking show

Published

on

Kenya Film Classification Board (KFCB) CEO Ezekiel Mutua has weighed in in Anita Nderu’s cooking show that sparked outrage on social media.

Through his Twitter page, the KFCB boss termed it as a pathetic attempt to promote Homosexuality.

He added that the media personality was trying to promote homosexuality in the name of user generated content and freedom of expression.

“#anitanderu’s gay show was a pathetic attempt to promote homosexuality in the name of user generated content and freedom of expression. No brand worthy it’s name should be proud of this madness.

“It’s laziness of mind and lack of imagination to fall for such cheap gimmick!” reads Ezekiel Mutua’s tweet.

In a number of occasions, Mutua has maintained a firm stand against gay content.

In 2018 he pointed out that there are some NGO’s that were paying young people Sh3 million to promotes the LGBTQ agenda.

“We have said no to this nonsense and have written to the NGO Coordination Board for investigation. We are firm on these issues, particularly where the content targets young children.

“No gay content will air on our screens under our watch. You can make all the noise to hell and back. I don’t care who is behind these groups,” Mutua said back in 2018.

READ ALSO:   PHOTOS: Kenyan man who spent Sh15M on his wedding arrested, his Porsche and Bentley seized
Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

September 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!