Connect with us


VIDEO: The real untold story of Sharon Belyne Otieno and Zacharia Okoth Obado



As expected, Migori Governor Okoth Obado on Monday denied the charge of  murdering  his pregnant girlfriend Sharon Otieno in Homa Bay.

Mr Obado denied the charge when he appeared before the High Court in Milimani, Nairobi, in the morning.

Appearing alone in the dock, Mr Obado who was represented by four lawyers, denied that he and others not before court murdered Ms Otieno between September 3 and 4 at Owade area in Rachuonyo.

On the morning of the day that the girlfriend of Migori Governor Okoth Obado, Ms Sharon Otieno, was abducted and later murdered, four of the governor’s aides gathered at a home about five kilometres from Migori Town.

The four — Mr Michael Juma Oyamo, a personal assistant, Mr Caspal Ojwang, another personal assistant, Police Constable Elvis Omondi, the governor’s bodyguard and Mr Dick Ogolla, the Sergeant-at-arms at Migori County Assembly — will play a starring role in the murder trial likely to start today.


Over weeks of investigations and confidential interviews with officials who have access to information relating to the investigation, the Daily Nation has formed a comprehensive view of the probable sequence of tragic events which culminated in the discovery of Ms Otieno’s mutilated body.

Mr Obado was arrested on Friday last week and spent the weekend in custody. He is scheduled to be arraigned this morning on murder charges.

Details of the September 3 meeting between his aides, bodyguard and sergeant-at-arms remain scanty but will form an intriguing part of the trial.

Seven days earlier, on August 27, Mr Oyamo is believed to have bought an Airtel mobile phone SIM card in Migori Town and registered it in the name of Vincent Obonyo.

Daily Nation sources believe he diverted all calls on his Safaricom line to voicemail and used the new line. Why he did this will be an issue of much debate.

As far as the Nation can establish, the series of events that led up to the death of Ms Otieno were kicked off by a call from Mr Omondi Okoth Elvis, a police constable attached to the governor’s security team.

Nation sources claimed that Mr Omondi called a taxi driver, Mr Jackson Otieno Gombe, the driver of a grey Toyota Fielder, KCL 418K, to pick up Mr Oyamo at Uriri town on the Migori-Rongo road. Uriri is the hometown of the governor.

Some of the people caught up in the web. PHOTO/FILE

According to Nation sources, some who were briefed on the investigation, at around 6pm Mr Gombe picked Mr Oyamo as well as two other men — whom witnesses claimed belonged to the governor’s campaign team during the last election — at Uriri and headed towards Rongo town.

READ ALSO:   Okoth Obado starts battle for his life

The final destination was Graca Hotel where Ms Otieno and Nation correspondent Barack Oduor drank Penasol wine as they waited for Mr Oyamo.


The meeting had been long coming; Ms Sharon, seven months pregnant with Mr Obado’s baby, had been lately getting mixed reactions from the governor regarding the future of their relationship.

Since March, Mr Obado had stopped answering Ms Otieno’s phone calls or responding to her text messages, and she complained to her mother that it was because she had informed the governor that she was carrying his baby.

A DNA test report by a government analyst last week confirmed that Mr Obado was indeed the father of his mistress’ unborn baby.

“There are 99.99+percent more chances that Zacharia Okoth Obado is the biological father of the donor of the DNA generated from the foetus, that is Sharon Belyne Otieno’s child,” the statement read.

Ms Otieno, confident that Mr Obado was the father, did everything she could to show the governor that she was proud to be carrying his baby, including taking photos of her bulging tummy or ultrasound scans of the pregnancy and forwarding them to the governor.

Mr Obado, meanwhile, remained elusive; reading the messages, viewing the photos, but never responding.


As the pregnancy progressed, Ms Otieno became increasingly desperate for the governor’s attention and support.

She had used every trick in her book to worm her way back to Mr Obado’s life — including, on several really desperate days, sending photos of her bump and the ultrasound to the governor’s family — to no avail, and she was quickly running out of patience … and time.

Ms Otieno’s desperation was also related to the fact that relations with her husband, with whom she had two children, a boy and a girl, were frosty because of her affair with the governor.

READ ALSO:   Obado: I'm in a crocodile's mouth, pray for me

She also had a son from a previous relationship. A student without any means of support, she was forced to move back with her mother together with three children, and a fourth on the way.

And so she sought out former Kanyadoto Ward, Homa Bay County, MCA Lawrence Obonyo Awuor to introduce her to a journalist who could help her expose and shame Mr Obado.

Mr Awuor introduced Ms Otieno to Mr Oduor, but also offered to negotiate with Mr Obado on her behalf.


On a cold July morning, Mr Awuor met with Mr Obado at Serena Hotel in Nairobi and the governor wanted to know what Ms Otieno wanted.

By and by, Mr Obado was given the terms: Ms Otieno wanted Sh20 million to buy a house in Nairobi or Kisumu and Sh5 million for her upkeep.

Mr Obado is reported to have made a counter-proposal — build Ms Otieno a three-bedroomed house on an acre in Homa Bay, all at a cost of Sh3 million.

He was prepared to pay the money at the end of the month, that is August, according to sources privy to witness statements.

Communication having been established, it is also alleged that the governor paid a total of Sh280,000 for Ms Otieno’s upkeep in two instalments.

Mr Obado (Left) and Ms Otieno (Right). PHOTO FILE

It was in the midst of these goings on that Ms Otieno received a call from Mr Oyamo on September 3, asking her to meet him at Rongo later that evening.

She resisted, suggesting instead that they meet at Rodi Kopany, which was nearer home.


Mr Oyamo, however, insisted that they meet at Rongo. Her mother cautioned her against going for the meeting alone, and so she called Mr Oduor to accompany her.

Mr Oyamo is said to have requested to meet Mr Oduor alone first before seeing Ms Otieno, but the reporter refused, saying the governor’s aide would have to meet them both at Graca.

At Graca Hotel, Mr Oyamo asked that they leave, paid the bill and led them to the Toyota Fielder believed to have been driven by Mr Gombe, and they headed towards Homa Bay.

Mr Oyamo stopped the car a few metres from the hotel and alighted as two other men jumped in and sandwiched Ms Otieno and Mr Oduor.

READ ALSO:   SAD: Kenyan woman dies in Washington DC

Mr Oduor jumped out of the car at Nyangweso trading centre and dashed for help, but Ms Otieno was not lucky.

A Nation source who claimed to have been briefed on Mr Gumbe’s interview with the police alleged that the driver explained that around 9pm, he was ordered to get off the road near Oyugis and the two unidentified men left with Ms Otieno.


It is not clear under what circumstances she agreed to leave the vehicle, if at all.

According to the source, the driver claimed that the two men returned after half an hour and said they had taken the pregnant girl home. They were dropped off at Uriri and the driver returned to Migori.

The following day in the afternoon, Ms Otieno’s bloodied body was found in a thicket. She lay in her blood-stained white track suit, with her underwear and condoms around her.

She had been stabbed in the neck, back and abdomen and, according to the post-mortem, bled to death.

Her unborn son was stabbed through the spine and the knife exited through the stomach.

Mr Oyamo reported to the police that he had been kidnapped while meeting Ms Otieno and Mr Oduor at Graca Hotel by two men driving a white Toyota Axio and robbed of Sh270,000 and his two mobile phones.


He claimed to have lost consciousness during the ordeal and found himself at Kisii Referral Hospital the following day.

Detectives are reportedly sceptical about that claim. The Nation source claimed that Mr Oyamo’s mobile phones were active around his hometown of Uriri until 11am on the night Ms Otieno died.

Last week Mr Obado’s lawyer Cliff Ombeta said DNA results linking the governor to the unborn baby do not directly implicate him in the murder, and he accused the directorates of criminal investigations and public prosecution of playing to the gallery.

“Something has to give. The DCI and DPP should be ashamed because they know they have nothing and only want to push a process forward,” Mr Ombeta said.

As the prosecution begins, the biggest loose end in the investigation remains — who are the three mystery men, and where are they now?

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Zain Verjee rejected Uhuru’s offer to head PSCU, Itumbi alleges



Former Senior Director of Digital Communications in State House Dennis Itumbi has detailed the behind the scenes of the post-2013 general election as President Uhuru Kenyatta sought to set up his communication team.

Itumbi, who was officially fired from the position last March, also described how he was frustrated while working at State House.

Itumbi was among five individuals who were let go in March after the Public Service Commission (PSC) scrapped five positions within the Presidential Strategic Communications Unit (PSCU) and terminated the contracts of those holding the posts.

He had worked at the house on the hill since President Kenyatta was elected in 2013.

In a series of posts he shared on his Facebook account, Itumbi sought to debunk what he termed as “lies that have been told for far too long”.

Itumbi now a critic of the Jubilee administration, started his narration from 2013 when Jubilee coalition won the highly contested presidential election.

The ardent supporter of Deputy President William Ruto claims that things were not all rosy from the onset.

According to Itumbi, the head of state after he was sworn in was looking to set up a vibrant communication team and his first choice was then CNN anchor Zain Verjee who turned down the offer and the president eventually settled on Manoah Esipisu.

READ ALSO:   Okoth Obado set for pretrial in Sharon case

“The year is 2013. We have a new President and his Deputy. The new President is putting up his communications team. He is about to let go Isaya Kabira, the question is who should take over. The New President wants Zein Verjee of CNN to take the job. She is contacted. She asks for time. She reverts with a regret message – I need to complete my studies and I have a contract extension at CNN. I cannot take up the job,” he writes.

Nairobi News could not independently authenticate his claims.

Itumbi claims it was under the new leadership that he witnessed frustrations that affected the delivery of the president’s communication team claiming that they went for a year without pay.

He claims that he coined the title Presidential Strategic Communications Unit (PSCU) for rebranding instead of the previous one Presidential Press Service (PPS) but the same was not signed off, until he approached Mr Kenyatta.

“I activated gear two and waited for the President, who signed it off. I did not go back to the duo,” he adds.

“They saw it as Breaking News on their phones as they took their stroll in the gardens.”

This he says to them was a betrayal and what followed were frustrations after another as the system was “fighting back.”

READ ALSO:   Sharon’s parents speak of life after daughter’s killing

“For a whole year, avoiding the details, we worked without a salary and accessed State House only on the strength of a News Release,” he said.

Mr Esipisu has since been appointed Kenya’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom (U.K) in 2018 with TV anchor Kanze Dena taking his position at State House.

For his part, Itumbi has found a new home in DP Ruto’s corner.

By Nairobi News

Continue Reading


MIRACLE: How Victoria Mugo, a Kenyan woman in US lost both her hands and legs [VIDEO]



A Kenyan woman from Aurora, Colorado, is a quadruple amputee. She lost her hands and her legs when pneumonia led to septic shock.

But Victoria Mugo , a mother of 1, is grateful to be alive.

Each year, more than 250,000 Americans die as a result of sepsis. The key is catching and treating it early.

Victoria is a celebrity of sorts at The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA). The medical staff considers her a miracle.

For months, Victoria was in the ICU there. She lost both hands and both legs. Yet, on Monday, she came back to say “Thanks.”



“Because I’m grateful for life,” she told CBS4 Health Specialist Kathy Walsh.

“You don’t get any sicker than Victoria was,” explained Carolyn Golas, Sepsis Coordinator at TMCA.

On Jan. 9, Victoria was rushed to the ER with pneumonia. Within hours she was in septic shock, a toxic response to the infection.

Victoria Mugo

“She had about an 80% chance that she would not survive,” said Golas.

Victoria was put in a coma and on life support. Blood flow to her extremities slowed down. When the 38-year-old mother woke up, her hands and legs were dying.

“I could just snap them and not feel anything,” she said.

READ ALSO:   DNA results out! Okoth Obado is father of Sharon's baby

All four were amputated.

“I am not sitting in a corner feeling sorry for myself because I don’t have my arms or my legs, I’m walking now (on prosthetic legs),” Victoria said.

Victoria’s faith in God is her strength.

“He got me through it. He is the one who has brought me this far,” she said.

She said she has what matters most, her son, Alexander, and the rest of her loving family.

Her smile is a smile of gratitude. Her fighting spirit is fueled by faith.

HCA Healthcare patient Victoria Mugo, pictured with son Alexander, prior to her sepsis hospitalization

Facts about sepsis from TMCA:

  • Sepsis is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. killing more than 250,000 patients per year.
  • In Colorado nearly 12,000 people will be diagnosed each year and nearly 3,000 will not survive.
  • Patients with septic shock have a mortality (death) rate of about 50-60%.
  • Once you have had severe sepsis you are at a greater risk of it reoccurring.
  • For more information you can go to the Sepsis Alliance at


Continue Reading


Job seeker loses phone, ID to crafty thief at Uhuru Park



A 30-year-old police impostor who allegedly stole a desperate job seeker’s phone promising to hire him to help in making deliveries to Kenya Defence Forces was charged with theft and impersonation.

Samuel Mwaniki Murigi was accused of stealing Evans Onyango Ogutu’s phone and national ID card at Imenti House on July 23.

Murigi was also accused of impersonation after presenting himself as a police officer attached to Central Police station Nairobi to Ogutu.

Ogutu was taking a rest at Uhuru Park after a job search in and around Nairobi CBD became fruitless when Murigi sat next to him while on-call, purporting he was advising his phantom boss that he would need to hire an extra hand to help him with meeting supplies.

Murigi claimed his boss had secured a contract to supply some items to Kenya Defence Forces and desperate Ogutu approached him for the job.

The suspect reportedly told Ogutu to accompany him to Imenti House to process a pass into military facilities to begin the job immediately and he obliged.

On arrival, Murigi reportedly took the phone and the ID card to proceed with the “process” and disappeared in thin air. The matter was reported to Parliament police station.

On July 4, Ogutu spotted Murigi at the same point and informed the police. Two undercover officers arrested Murigi and allegedly found pictures of himself in different police uniforms.

READ ALSO:   DNA results out! Okoth Obado is father of Sharon's baby

The suspect denied all the charges before chief magistrate Joyce Gandani of Kibera law courts.

He was freed on a Sh200,000 bond and an alternative cash bail of Sh30,000. The case will be mentioned on August 19.


Continue Reading

Powered by

Current Time in Alexandria
Fri, August 7


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar

September 2018


error: Content is protected !!