Connect with us

News

VIDEO: What Maribe told police on Monica’s murder which she reported about at Citizen

Published

on

Television journalist Jacque Maribe presented herself to police yesterday in an attempt to clear her name in the ongoing probe into the murder of Monicah Nyawira Kimani. Ms Maribe, who was accompanied by her parents and lawyer Katwa Kigen, was interrogated for almost one hour at the Kilimani Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) offices before she was referred to the DCI headquarters on Kiambu Road.

Maribe told police she was in shock and had sought refuge at her parents’ house after learning that her fiancé, Joseph Kuria Irungu, was being linked to the September 19 murder of Ms Kimani. Kimani’s body was found in a bathtub in her Kilimani apartment, with her throat slit. Maribe told police she did not know Kimani, adding that she had even read the news of her death the night it happened. According to police, Maribe said Mr Irungu had not informed her of what had happened.

She also told police she had once seen Irungu with a gun in her house but had not seen it again after she warned him not to keep it in the house. Know if news is factual and true. Text ‘NEWS’ to 22840 and always receive verified news updates. Several issues The gun’s ownership was one of several issues police wanted Maribe to clarify. She told police she and Irungu met in a city club early this year. They fell in love and he later asked her to marry him.

READ ALSO:   PHOTOS: Singer Nyashinski weds his longtime girlfriend

She added that Irungu often used her car and would drop her at work and pick her up. When police went to pick up Irungu from the couple’s Royal Park estate home in Lang’ata, the two were in the house. Police later searched the house and recovered a live bullet, which has since been taken for ballistic tests. Detectives also believe Irungu was in illegal possession of the pistol that Maribe saw, but are yet to trace it. Then there is the mystery of where Irungu lives away from Maribe’s house. The detectives also said they were yet to recover his identification documents, including his passport.

Kilimani murder suspect Maribe told police that on September 21, Irungu arrived at her house and said he had been shot and injured. She then drove him to different hospitals seeking medical attention. The journalist’s car, a silver Toyota Allion, was yesterday dusted for fingerprints by detectives from the homicide unit. The officers said they found bloodstains in the car as well as hoes, beer cans, a weave and clothes. The team also searched Kimani’s apartment in Lamuria Gardens off Dennis Pritt Road and carried away a number of samples for testing and analysis.

But the officers are yet to recover the clothes Irungu was wearing when he says he was shot in the chest. They have also not recovered the ‘kanzu’ he was wearing when he was spotted in Kimani’s apartment. After the alleged shooting, Maribe and Irungu told police they went to Nairobi West, Lang’ata and Kijabe Mission hospitals. But they also gave contradictory statements on the shooting – they initially said the attack happened in the house but later said it was outside.

READ ALSO:   Was Papa Dennis’ grave raided?

It is not clear whether Maribe stuck to her initial story yesterday because she was still with detectives until late evening. Three men Irungu is said to have told police he had arrived at the estate at about 1.30am on September 21 in the company of Maribe when he spotted three men standing outside their gate. He entered the house but left to go and check why the strangers were hanging around.

Irungu told police that one of the men shot him in the left side of the chest before fleeing on a motorbike. They did not steal anything from him. He returned to the house and told Maribe what had happened. But police say preliminary findings show no shooting was reported at the scene. Guards and neighbours interviewed told police they did not hear a gunshot. Maribe also told police she did not hear any gunshots. Police are also waiting for a medical report to establish if Irungu’s injury was caused by a bullet.

Standardmedia.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police kill terror suspect, two children

Published

on

Police in Kwale shot and killed a terror suspect during a night raid.

Two children that the suspect was using as human shields were also killed.

The suspected Al-Shabaab militant, Mohamed Mapenzi, was killed in his house in Kibundani by an elite police team.

Mapenzi is reported to have thrown a grenade at the police during the raid on Saturday night.

“As the officers were preparing to break into the suspect’s house, he suddenly opened the door and threw a grenade at them slightly injuring one of them,” reads a police report seen by the Nation.

The officers opened fire killing the suspect and the minors.

The suspect’s wife and three other children were also injured in the raid and taken to Msabweni Referral Hospital.

Sources told the Nation that an Al-Shabaab suspect, who is in police custody, took the security agents to Mapenzi’s house.

The suspect, Saidi Chitswa alias Ninja, who is believed to be an Al-Shabaab recruiter, was arrested following reports that he was planning to launch an attack at an unnamed police station.

After interrogation, Chitswa led the officers to Mapenzi’s house to recover firearms.

Police said a grenade and assorted jungle uniforms were recovered from the house.

Coast Directorate of Criminal Investigations boss Washington Njiru said two other suspects were arrested during the operation.

READ ALSO:   Was Papa Dennis’ grave raided?

The killing of the terror suspect comes a month after two other suspects were killed in Kwale and Likoni.

The suspect in Kwale, who was identified as Suleiman Ali Kodza, was gunned down a day after he escaped a police dragnet in Mombasa.

Kodza, alias Pembe, who police had termed as Al-Shabaab ringleader in Diani was shot and killed in Ngerenya, South Coast.

Police sources say Kodza is believed to be in the same group with  Mapenzi and were planning to carry out an attack at a police station with a mission of stealing firearms.

When Kodza was killed police recovered five bullets, a machete and a knife.

Police linked him to the killing of two officers who were guarding St Paul’s ACK Church in Ukunda in September 2017.

By Nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Former K24 Chief editor responds to claims of joining Citizen TV

Published

on

Peter Opondo who was the Chief editor at K24 was recently rumored to be headed back to Citizen TV! The story was sparked by his farewell post now that K24 is no longer operating following a few unknown details.

Being an experienced journalist, Mr Opondo was then rumored to have gone back to Citizen TV; but turns out that this was yet another baseless story as he called it.

Speaking to Kenyans.com who reached out for a comment, Mr Opondo brushed off the rumors saying;

Veteran Journalist, Peter Opondo

Those are stories created by some idle people in self isolation with frenzied minds and itchy fingers.

According to him, after the K24 incident he decided to take a long break as he goes back to the drawing board before he making his comeback. Mr Opondo said;

I am on much needed break as I recalibrate and you can take that to the bank as a guarantee for a loan

According to reports, Mr Opondo joined K24 back in 2018 after quitting his job at RMS. Before joining the station, Opondo had been handling matters involving editorial team as a whole,; guided his team to success and for the 2 years he helped change the station to a complete media house.

READ ALSO:   TV personality, Yvonne Okwara is showered with endless love as she clocks 36 years

Farewell letter

In the farewell letter that left many emotional, Mr Opondo wrote saying;

We had our fights and make-ups, highs and lows, but at all times we kept the focus with a clear aspiration to win. It was all business- and also personal sometimes, you know! Even in difficult times, outsiders (like viewers) would never tell, we kept it in the family.

I applaud the teams, especially anchors, for holding a straight face- and even smiling- when there was a literal fire under your seats!

He went on to urge the former employees to keep their heads high as life has always been unpredictable.

The future may be uncertain, but so is life. I believe that somehow, somewhat the sun shall rise tomorrow. So smile, believe in yourself and keep doing what you do best.

BY Ghafla 

Continue Reading

News

Shock as another Kenyan athlete is banned for doping

Published

on

The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) handed Kenya’s long-distance runner Mikel Kiprotich Mutai a four-year ban on Friday for a doping offence.

Road runner Japhet Kipchirchir Kipkorir was also handed provisional suspension for a similar offence.

Mutai’s ban starts on March 20 for four years and his results dating back to December 15, 2019, will be nullified.

Mutai and another Kenyan star Alex Korio Oliotiptip were handed separate provisional suspensions for violating World Athletics anti-doping rules on May 1, 2020.

Mutai’s charge involved the presence of prohibited substances (Norandrosterone) while Oliotiptip was suspended due to whereabout failures.

Former world marathon record-holder Paul Tergat said in April criminalising doping will help end vice in the country.

Tergat stated the country must move with speed and create a new law that will criminalise the offence.

“We all ran clean and we want our current crop of athletes to run clean. There’s no shortcut to clean sports except training hard.

“So many things have been happening right, left and centre regarding doping in Kenya,” said Tergat.

Tergat, the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOC-K) president, indicated athletes caught doping should serve jail time.

“Kenya now needs to be tough on dopers by criminalising their offences. They will suffer double loss to revenue and time in jail if they are found doping,” said Tergat.

READ ALSO:   Marya Raburu returns to church months after losing child

“At the current rate, Kenya risks being banned from the Olympics or big city’s marathons. What we need to do is make the punishment for offenders more punitive.

This will also bar offenders from putting on our national colours and make them ineligible to compete elsewhere,” he added.

Current Kenyan law stipulates a jail term of up to three years for support staff found guilty in connection with doping, but not for athletes.

From 2004 to August 2018, 138 Kenyan athletes tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, according to a WADA report published in September 2018.

With their high number of dopers, Kenya was placed under category A on the list of countries being watched together with Nigeria, Ethiopia, Bahrain, Morocco, Ukraine and Belarus.

By Game Yetu!

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!