Connect with us

News

DNA nails ‘Jowie’ to Monica murder

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

Joseph ‘Jowie’ Irungu, the man being treated as key suspect in the murder of Monica Kimani may have been nailed after analysis of DNA samples collected from the slain businesswoman’s body and house indicated conclusively that he was at the scene of the crime.

The results were released as detectives trying to unravel the murder mulled summon- ing two Nairobi politicians they believe were contacted by Irungu soon after the killing.

The suspect is said to have sent a text message to four friends, including the two poli- ticians, seeking advice over “a major thing he had committed that was being investigated by police.”

Detectives want the four to shed more light on the “major thing” that Irungu may have been referring to.

Police sources confirmed t that samples, including bloodstains collected from Monica’s house matched, 99 per cent those collected from Irungu, putting him at the heart of the investigations into the murder.

Monica’s body was found in her Lamuria Gardens apartment in Nairobi’s Kilimani, dumped in a bathtub with hands tied and her throat slit, hours after she returned from South Sudan.

Reports have also emerged that Kassaine may have been in Juba days before Monica was murdered and police are following the lead besides profiling his businesses as part of the probe.

Apart from bloodstains collected, police also analysed other samples dusted from a cellotape put on Monica’s mouth, a rope that tied her hands and bloodstains on a sofa in the house.

Kassaine, whom the Central Firearms Bureau is trying to establish if he is a licensed gun holder, admitted he gave Irungu the firearm on September 9, saying he used to service it for him from time to time.

Homicide Unit detectives at DCI headquarters have been working with officials from Government Chemists in analysing the samples. However, the knife believed to have been used to slit Monica’s throat is yet to be found.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Kenyan charged with 11 murders in Texas

Published

on

Billy Chemirmir

A Kenyan living illegally in the US has been charged with killing at least 11 elderly women, and stealing their jewellery and valuables in Dallas, Texas.

Billy Chemirmir was previously arrested in the death of an 81-year-old woman, ABC Fox Montana has reported.

The 46-year-old was indicted on Tuesday on six counts of capital murder in the deaths of women aged 76 to 94.

Chemirmir, according to the Journal Star, has been in custody since March 2018 over the death of Lu Thi Harris, 81, also from Dallas.

Police found evidence linking him to the Harris murder when he was being investigated in the Dallas suburb of Plano for suspicious death and suspicious person calls.

According to the Lincoln Journal Star, the break in the case came when Chermirmir forced his way into the apartment of a 91-year-old woman in March last year.

He allegedly asked the woman to “go to bed. Don’t fight me,” according to an affidavit filed in Collin County.

The Lincoln Journal Star reported that Chermirmir smothered the woman with a pillow until she was unconscious after which he stole her jewellery.

After the paramedics revived her, she told them her jewellery box had been stolen by her attacker.

READ ALSO:   Police fight to keep Maribe's car

Police then identified Chemirmir from a number plate. They traced him days later and watched him throw a jewellery box into the bin.

The police traced the box back to Harris.

According to the Plano police chief, Chermirmir was using his healthcare experience “to his advantage in targeting and exploiting seniors, some of the most vulnerable people in our community.”

According to ABC Fox Montana news reports, police were reviewing the unattended deaths of 750 elderly women for possible links.

Phillip Hayes, Chermirmir’s attorney, said the charges from this week were a surprise and there has not been time to review them.

“These cases came out of the blue and I don’t have any information on them yet,” he said.

According to the Lincoln Journal Star, Chermirmir’s lawyer says he has denied involvement in the murder of Harris since day one.

“They have circumstantial evidence that puts him in the area but that’s as far as the evidence goes,” Hayes said.

Chemirmir is also being held on charges of being in the country illegally.

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Corrupt Kenyans will not be allowed in the US — envoy

Published

on

Corrupt Kenyans will neither be allowed into the US nor pay for their children’s education there, US ambassador to Kenya Kyle McCarter said in Nairobi.

The ambassador, while attending the Junior Achievement Organisation 100 years celebration, said the ‘big fish’ in the country get away with theft of billions whereas the common mwananchi is brutally punished for the theft of smaller amounts of money.

“You cannot allow somebody to steal Sh20 billion and fine them Sh10 billion. We deal with thieves in a very brutal way, not even according to the law,” he said.

“Somehow, we tolerate the theft of billions in Kenya. If we stop tolerating thievery, Kenya will be a shining star for democracy and prosperity in Africa.”

McCarter said Kenya would have to make a choice between the Big Four agenda and theft, adding that without corruption, the Big Four agenda is achievable.

“The cost of this is the same cost ironically as the Big Four. It could become a reality if we got rid of thievery,” he said.

The USA is now working with the DCI and DPP to ensure that corruption is a thing of the past.

In a tweet, the ambassador said there will be very little rest for those tasked with fighting theft in Kenya.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: I have not forgiven you Jowie: Monica Kimani’s grieving mother

The envoy assured DCI George Kinoti that “the USA is backing you 100 per cent”.

In his address, the US ambassador emphasised on the need for Kenya to be an environment free of corruption.

With the high unemployment rates among the youth in Kenya, citizens are urged to take up measures to salvage the current unemployment status since the youth could get into harmful activities.

“We have a group of young people that are bitter and if we do not do anything, other people will employ them to harm,” McCarter said.

With many learned Kenyan youth and limited opportunities, the ambassador said, preparing a workforce does no good if there is no opportunity. Opportunities are to be created for the prepared but unemployed workforce.

McCarter has urged the Kenyan youth to make use of their God-given talents and invest in other people in order to boost the economy by eradicating unemployment.

He termed to the two per cent and three per cent GDP growth as little, saying Kenya has a greater potential.

“Two per cent, three per cent GDP growth is complete rubbish…you can double the size of the economy,” he said.

In the fight against unemployment, McCarter said the government is not the solution.

READ ALSO:   My daughter is guilty of love, not murder: Maribe's father

“The government is not the answer to the problem but a government that remembers that the people are the ones that pay the salary,” he said.

According to the envoy, the private sector is an answer to doubling the size of the Kenyan economy.

He added that Kenya cannot afford to fail in giving opportunities to those 30 years and below who make up about 70 per cent of the Kenyan population full of potential.

The young people in Kenya have been urged to serve and create opportunities where they have come from.

source:The Star

Continue Reading

News

Kenyan woman goes missing in Germany after dropping off kids

Published

on

Rita Awuor Ojunge,

A Kenyan family in Germany is looking for its kin who went missing one month ago.

Ms Rita Awuor Ojunge, 32, was last seen dropping her two children at a neighbour’s house.

The neighbor told police it was a “normal occurrence when she (Rita) needed to run some errands.”

Rita’s sister, Ms Carol Kay – who is also in Germany –  has been sending out social media appeals on Rita’s whereabouts.

In one Facebook post, Ms Carol said that the last time they heard from Rita was on April 5, 2019.

“Her Family kindly and desperately request your help in finding her whereabouts. She was last heard from on 5th April 2019 from Germany where she lives, with no cause for alarm but since then cannot be traced.

“In case anyone happens to see her/ has seen her anywhere or has any information that can lead to her whereabouts please contact me,” she posted on Facebook.

The family said that as soon as she was reported missing the two children were taken under the care of their father.

On the day she disappeared, the family told the police that she was wearing a black and white striped outfit with leggings and a skirt.

READ ALSO:   Friends say Jacque Maribe’s bumpy ride started with covering Jubilee campaigns

She is about 160-165 cm tall, slender in shape, with black, medium-length, curly hair and a nose piercing.

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!