Connect with us

Africa

“Hillary for Prison” comment haunts Trump’s nominee as ambassador to Kenya

Published

on

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is accusing a senator of blocking President Donald Trump’s nominees to key diplomatic posts, including ambassador to Kenya.

Kyle McCarter, a Trump ally and director of a Christian ministry in Kenya, was named nearly seven months ago as the proposed replacement for Mr Robert Godec, who has held the US envoy post since 2012.

Mr McCarter’s appointment remains in limbo due to Democratic senators’ objections to his political views, including his suggestion that Hillary Clinton should be imprisoned.

Democratic members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee grilled Mr McCarter at a July 31 hearing on his nomination.

They criticised his opposition to same-sex marriage and Obama administration refugee policies, as well as his Twitter posting on the night of Mr Trump’s 2016 election victory.

“Hillary for Prison. No, really,” Mr McCarter had tweeted in regard to the defeated Democratic presidential nominee.

INTEGRITY

Mr McCarter indirectly apologised for that posting after being rebuked at the hearing by Senator Tom Kaine, Mrs Clinton’s running mate in 2016.

“How does a thought like that come into the brain of someone?” Senator Kaine asked Mr McCarter. “It seems so contrary to the values of a democratic society.”

Mr McCarter responded: “It is one of those tweets you’d like to reel in but can’t.”

READ ALSO:   Intensify war on graft, US envoy Mc Carter tells Kenyans

Secretary of State Pompeo last week singled out Robert Menendez, the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, as chiefly to blame for delays in confirming Mr McCarter and dozens of other Trump nominees for positions in the State Department and in US embassies.

“These outstanding candidates remain unconfirmed because Senator Menendez and some of his colleagues are using our nominees as a political football,” Mr Pompeo declared. “This is unacceptable.”

Senator Menendez fired back, charging that “a slew of nominees have track records of deeply offensive public statements unbefitting of an official representative of the United States.”

APPROVAL

The Democratic senator from the state of New Jersey added that a State Department spokeswoman had erred in recently including Mr McCarter in a group of ambassadorial nominees who have held US Foreign Service posts.

“The nominee for Kenya is not a Foreign Service Officer, rather a political appointee who has publicly advocated for the imprisonment of Donald Trump’s political opponents,” Senator Menendez said.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee must clear a president’s ambassadorial nominees before they face a required confirmation vote by the 100-member Senate.

Members of Mr Trump’s Republican Party control both the committee and the full Senate, but congressional protocol gives minority-party members the ability to delay confirmations.

READ ALSO:   LIVE FROM WASHINGTON: Watch the State of the Union address

-nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

Plane with 17 passengers on board crashes in DRC

Published

on

A passenger plane with about 17 passengers on board crashed on Sunday in the city of Goma in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, killing several people, the provincial governor’s office said.

The plane, operated by the local company Busy Bee, crashed during takeoff for a flight to the city of Beni, North Kivu Governor Carly Nzanzu Kasivita’s office said in a statement.

The number of fatalities was not yet clear.Busy Bee was not available for comment.Air accidents are relatively frequent in Congo because of lax safety standards and poor maintenance. \All Congolese commercial carriers, including Busy Bee, are banned from operating in the European Union.

A cargo plane departing from the same airport crashed an hour after take-off in October, killing all eight passengers.

By Standard

READ ALSO:   Trump announces end of government shutdown
Continue Reading

Africa

Why school kept news of student’s family members’ death a secret for 22 days

Published

on

A school in Tanzania decided not to inform a 16-year-old girl that her entire family of five had been wiped out by flash floods last month to enable her complete her examinations.

Anna Zambi’s parents and siblings were on their way to visit her in school for prayer day ahead of her final secondary school examinations when they met their death.

TRAGIC INCIDENT

A private car in which they were travelling in was swept away in floods following incessant rains in Handeni District, Tanga Region.

According Tanzanian daily, The Citizen, the school chose to keep the tragic incident a secret to enable Zambi complete her exams in peace.

The incident happened just two days before the start of the examinations.

The head teacher of Mother Teresa of Calcuta Girls Secondary School revealed how he managed to ensure the student was kept in the dark over the tragedy that took the lives of her parents and three other siblings on October 26.

GRAVEYARDS

In breaking communication at the school, he said, all students were no longer allowed to watch TV on the pretext that it was examination time and that they must always be busy with their books.

On Monday, almost a month after the incident, she traveled back home to be with her family after finishing the exams, only to learn that her parents and siblings were no more.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: US Congress passes Bill to give certain immigrants a pathway to citizenship

It was not until Saturday, November 16, when a wave of grief and deep sorrow rolled through relatives and mourners who had gathered for hours to receive Zambi and take her to the graveyards of her parents and three siblings.

At the same time, the Tanzanian government has pledged to support the bereaved teenager, saying that it would pay for her psychological rehabilitation and education.

By NN

Continue Reading

Africa

Invitation to the African Girls Hope Foundation Annual Gala happening this Saturday in Atlanta

Published

on

BY BEN KAROMO

African Girls Hope Foundation (AGHF) annual Gala is happening this Saturday at the Kenyan American Community Church in Marietta, Georgia, USA. AGHF  is a non-profit founded by Grace Faraja, a former refugee from the 1990s civil war that ravaged the DRC. She started the foundation to help educate girls in rural Congo caught in the ongoing civil unrest, poverty and disease.

As a former beneficiary of a full scholarship that changed her life, Grace believes providing an education to orphaned and less privileged girls can open a world of opportunities to them and help then end the cycle of poverty and early marriages.

This year, AGHF’s aim is to provide full-year scholarships to 120 girls at a cost of $29 per month per girl. We are seeking your help to raise funds to meet the overall goal of $34,000 for the year 2019-2020.

We ask you to help us meet this goal by donating on our website at https://africangirlshopefoundation.com/.

We prayerfully desire to support the education of 120 girls in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Kenya. With hope that God will open doors to other African countries in the near future. We have partnered with a local pastor running a school in the village of Mulenge in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

READ ALSO:   Intensify war on graft, US envoy Mc Carter tells Kenyans

Our partner has identified numerous girls in the village who are orphans of father and mother. Girls selected as AGHF beneficiaries are 65% of orphans of both parents.

Atlanta residents, please join us for our Annual Fundraising Gala dinner, to be held on November 9th at the Kenyan American Community Church KICC in Marietta, Georgia. Dinner and parking will be provided.

Below are some of the girls who need our help:

 

Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!