Connect with us

News

Obado speaks on his ill health

Published

on

Remanded Migori Governor Okoth Obado has opened up on the county’s senatorial by-election set for Monday and his health problems.

Mr Obado also exuded confidence that he would secure his freedom from Industrial Area Remand Prison, Nairobi, on Monday

Speaking through lawyer Roger Sagana, Mr Obado said he was hoping for the best when the High Court revisits his application for bond.

“It is the discretion of the court but we hope for the best,” Mr Sagana said, adding that from the witness statements, it was clear the prosecution has a weak case.

Mr Obado said contrary to allegations that the by-election campaigns would be marred by violence orchestrated by his supporters, the exercise has been peaceful.

“Notwithstanding the ongoing campaign for Migori senatorial election set for October 8, and politicisation of my accusation, arrest and trial, there has been peace and order in and out of Migori county,” he said.

“I have preached peace before my arrest and shall continue doing so; if released on bail or bond,” he said.

Mr Obado has openly opposed ODM’s choice of former minister Ochilo Ayacko and is seen as the main backer of the youthful Eddy Oketch.

READ ALSO:   I’m hurt but have accepted my fate: Obado

On Saturday, Mr Sagana confirmed that Mr Obado was still admitted at the general ward of Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) after he was taken ill this week.

Mr Obado is the chief suspect in the murder of Ms Sharon Otieno, 26, whose mutilated body was found in a thicket in Owade, near Oyugis township, Homa Bay County, on September 4.

In an affidavit he filed in court on Friday, Mr Obado says that looking at the statements filed by the 24 witnesses set to testify during the trial, there are no compelling reasons to continue denying him bond or bail pending trial.

“I pleaded not guilty to this charge and maintain my innocence. The hearing has not commenced and, in any case, it is not true that there is a strong case against me,” Mr Obado said.

Besides the argument that the prosecution’s case is weak, Mr Obado also cites medical grounds as the reason he should be given bond.

Mr Obado, his personal assistant Michael Oyamo and Mr Caspal Obiero, a clerk in Migori County, are expected back in the High Court on Monday where they will make fresh applications to be released on bond.

Mr Obado said he suffers from a severe back problem known as Nerve Compression with Disc Lesion on the Lumbar Spine. He said the problem started in 2013.

READ ALSO:   Sharon’s parents speak of life after daughter’s killing

“To manage the condition, I have been under special care of a medical doctor by the name Prof Ating’a,” Mr Obado said, adding that the condition adversely affects his ability to stand for long hours.

“Since my condition has not been attended to for the period I have been in custody, the complication aggravated and I was taken ill on September 29, 2018. I was subsequently admitted to Kenyatta National Hospital as an inpatient and my condition has not improved since then,” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Diaporans engage in intense debate over Huduma Namba

Published

on

Intense debate has erupted among Kenyans living abroad over recent announcement by Interior Ministry Cabinet Secretary, Fred Matiang’i that Kenyans in the diaspora have until June 20, 2019 to register for Huduma Namba.

In making the announcement, Dr Matiang’i disclosed that in fact, the registration exercise for Kenyans living abroad started at Kenyan consulates and embassies abroad on May 6, 2019.

“We began another phase of registration this week that addresses Kenyans in the diaspora. We have distributed a total of 154 Kiems kits in 54 missions around the world,” said Dr Matiang’i in a press conference last Monday.

He added : “ The deadline for those living in Kenya is May 18, and the government will not extend the deadline.”

But President Uhuru Kenyatta has since extended the deadline by a week after it emerged that a large number of Kenyans were yet to get registered at the lapse of yesterday’s deadline.

Kenyans living abroad ordinarily embrace such initiatives from the government and rush to be first on line believing it is beneficial to them in the long run. But this time around, things seem to be totally different. There are no reported long lines at the Kenyan embassy in Washington, DC or High Commission in London for instance since the exercise began a week ago.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: The real untold story of Sharon Belyne Otieno and Zacharia Okoth Obado

Intense debate

Rather, what is going on among the diaspora is an intense debate on social media and community groups on the merits and demerits of the Huduma Namba.

Most Kenyans in the US interviewed by the Sunday Nation agreed that the Huduma Namba is a great initiative if smoothly carried out in terms of registration as the government has said it will be a unique identifier of every person legally in Kenya and Kenyans in the diaspora.

However, most were also livid that just like the Social Security number in the US, the Huduma Namba will be an authenticator as it will have data on aspects of every one’s day to day life.

“The lack of privacy of the Huduma Namba will open it up to fraud especially if used to authenticate individuals,” said Dr Kennedy Simiyu, Research Director at the University of Maryland adding that Kenyans in the US are questioning the basis for having a deadline for the Huduma Namba.

“If the purpose of having services centred on one registration platform then individuals should apply for the Huduma Namba at will,” he said.

Mr Festus Kasyoka Mbuvi, a Kenyan resident of Boston, Massachusetts is leading a group of Kenyans abroad who are arguing that the whole aspect of Huduma Namba reeks of colonial mentality.

READ ALSO:   I’m hurt but have accepted my fate: Obado

By Chris Wamalwa, Sunday Nation

Continue Reading

Africa

VIDEO: Now DP Ruto, Aisha Jumwa tell Matiang’i off and call for his resignation

Published

on

Kenya’s Deputy President William Ruto has said all those mentioned in the latest fake gold scam should carry their own crosses and desist from dragging the name of the president into the scandal.

Without dropping any names, Ruto said that “the political conmen had now tuned to gold.”

Walipanda ndege hapa na kwenda huko Dubai na kufanya maneno yao. Wabebe mizigo yao na waache kumuingiza rais kwa mambo hayo,” said Ruto during a fundraiser at a church in Endebess, Trans Nzoia County,.

Meanwhile, Malindi MP Aisha Jumwa, a close associate of Mr Ruto, has asked for the immediate resignation of Interior Cabinet Secretary, Fred Matian’gi.

A section of Jubilee MPs havealso told ODM leader Raila Odinga to state what he knows about the fake gold scandal.

They said Interior CS Fred Matiang’i should also explain how the country’s security was protecting the premises with fake gold.

Speaking  on Saturday when they accompanied Deputy President William Ruto during the launch of various development projects in Trans Nzoia, the lawmakers asked Matiang’i to state what he knows about it.

The leaders were Governors Patrick Khaemba (Trans Nzoia) and Ferdinand Waititu (Kiambu), MPs Robert Pukose (Endebess), Aisha Jumwa (Malindi), Janet Nangabo (Women Rep, Trans Nzoia), Rahab Mukami (Women Rep, Nyeri), Mathias Robi (Kuria West), Janet Jepkemboi (Turbo), Gabriel Tongoyo (Narok West), Fred Kapondi (Mt Elgon) and Owen Baya (Kilifi North).

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: The real untold story of Sharon Belyne Otieno and Zacharia Okoth Obado

This as it emerged that the Director of Public Prodecution, Nordin Haji, had defended President Kenyatta and former PM Raila Odinga.

Mr Haji issued a statement on Saturday about a recording circulated on social media that suggests that some information was relayed to President Kenyatta, Mr Odinga and Interior minister Fred Matiang’i, and that discussions followed.

He condemned the release and circulation of the recording, saying, “Such claims and their circulation through social media, specifically through leaked phone recordings in today’s age of real-time, borderless publishing, are alarmist and may needlessly cause disaffection.

He warned that “unless all facts are obtained and analysed, it is irresponsible and possibly unlawful to publish such material.”

SPEEDY PROBE

Mr Haji said he had personally received complaints from victims who said the person behind the scam had been invoking the President’s name in dealings and conversations.

“Having realised that they were conned on the availability of the gold, and the misleading knowledge and involvement of the President, the former Prime Minister and CS Matiang’i, they resolved to [file] a report [with] Kenyan authorities and cooperate with law enforcement in unearthing the under-dealings.”

The DPP said he had thus directed Inspector-General of Police Hilary Mutyambai to speed up the probe; he said the file should be forwarded to him in the next seven days.

READ ALSO:   I’m hurt but have accepted my fate: Obado

Mr Haji also asked members of the public with helpful information to report it to authorities.

Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Citizen TV Proprietor SK Macharia opens up about his life as “a Sweeper in US”

Royal Media Services (RMS) owner and Chairman Dr. S.K Macharia has opened up about his life as a student in the United States, saying he moved to the US to study after winning the Kennedy Airlifts Scholarship in 1962.

Published

on

Speaking during a prize-giving ceremony at Kahuhia Girls High School on Saturday, the billionaire businessman said he used to work as a sweeper in a bid to raise college tuition.

Macharia said he worked as a sweeper at giant aircraft manufacturer Boeing for nine years.

“When I was in the US, I worked at night and went to school during the day. Do you know a company called Boeing that makes big planes in Seattle? I swept their floors for eight years,” he says.

Macharia first enrolled in Seattle Technical College before taking a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science at Seattle Pacific University two years later.

He later graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from the University of Washington.

“I paid my school fees by working at night and going to school during the day, so there’s nothing that you cannot achieve,” the tycoon has told students during the event.

“You don’t have to be assisted by anybody but if you get assistance, it’s just a small push. It’s all about what you are doing for yourself that will make you a person and you will be proud of yourself.”

Macharia owns Royal Media Services, which operates two television stations and more than 10 FM stations across the country. He also has investments in real estate and hospitality industries.

READ ALSO:   Sharon’s parents speak of life after daughter’s killing

SOURCE: Mwakilishi.com

 

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!