Connect with us

Diaspora

Shock as man bites ex-girlfriend’s lip off

Published

on

A student had her lip brutally bitten off by her ex-boyfriend who wanted to ‘leave his mark on her’.

Kayla Hayes has shared graphic photos of her injuries a year after the attack, bravely speaking out about the horrific incident.

The 19-year-old from Greenville, South Carolina says she remembers being in shock and screaming as he tried to kiss her then ‘clenched down,’ tearing into her mouth.

Kayla has been left with permanent scarring but is relieved and finally feels safe now her former partner Seth Aaron Fleury, 23, is behind bars.

Fleury was sentenced to 12 years in jail after he pleaded guilty to Assault and Battery of a High Aggravated Nature.

Kayla credits current partner Blake for helping her to recover and being there to ‘pick up the pieces’.

 

Stitches around Kayla’s mouth after having surgery. [Courtesy]

She started dating Fleury in 2016, when he was 21 and she was 17, and broke up with him after almost a year as he treated her like ‘property’.

 

A few weeks later, she met up with her ex so that he could ‘right his wrongs’ before enrolling in the Navy, but after she refused to rekindle the romance, he became violent.

Fleury tried to kiss her but as she pulled away, he clamped onto her bottom lip so hard that it nearly entirely tore off.

READ ALSO:   WONDERS WILL NEVER CEASE: 10 Scientifically Impossible Places That Actually Exist

Seth Aaron Fleury with Kayla Hayes prior to the attack. [Courtesy]

Kayla said: “I never expected he was capable of doing that, I never thought he would physically bite my lip off.

“I met him down the street, he had flowers and cards, one about getting back together.

“I met him because he was joining the navy and I wanted to let him ‘right his wrongs’.

“After reading the cards, he asked, ‘Don’t you have anything to say?’ and I told him I was not there to get back with him.

“He told me to get out, so I did, and he threw everything at the back of my head. Once I got back into my car, my leg was shaking so uncontrollably that I couldn’t move.

“I saw him draw a breath and try to kiss me, as I pulled away he clenched down.

“I remember him latching onto me and my body being in shock, I didn’t feel any pain apart from the tear and I started screaming.

“He then dragged me by the hair and slammed the door in my face and drove off. It was crazy.”

Kayla was forced to undergo emergency plastic surgery and received over 300 stitches.

The damage caused by the attack left her with limited movement around her mouth and permanent scarring.

READ ALSO:   Cat kills cow in Kisumu, shocked Villagers say

She added: “My surgeon had to cut all around my face and cheeks to bring the two sides of my lip together because it was torn off completely.

“I find myself insecure over the scars, it’s very hard as a young woman especially, but I have to remember that they don’t define me.

“I can define my scars or have them define me, they show my story and what I have overcome.

“A piece of me died after the attack, at times I feel a great deal of sadness but now when I think about that day, I know I’m a stronger person today.”

At Greenville County Courthouse, where Kayla saw her attacker for the first time since the horrific ordeal, just the sight of him left her ‘mortified’ and ‘nervous’.

Kayla said: “I have been told Seth did it intentionally and wanted to leave his mark on me for my next boyfriend.

“Seth was very controlling and treated me like property not a girlfriend, he was very manipulative.

“He showed no remorse in his eyes whatsoever. I believe he knew what he did, and he meant to do it.

“I feel the sentence has given me closure now that I know he’s not walking the streets.”

Seth Aaron Fleury, 23, was sentenced to 12 years in jail on October 18 last week.

READ ALSO:   Brewery van stolen but recovered 42 minutes later after a free beer offer to anyone with information

He will have to serve 85 percent of his sentence before he becomes eligible for parole.

After the plea hearing, Solicitor Walt Wilkins said “This case demonstrates the unique circumstances under which domestic violence occurs, and how quickly these situations can escalate into violence.

“Hopefully this prison sentence will make it clear to both this defendant and other abusers that domestic violence in any fashion will not be tolerated.”

During her recovery, Kayla found love with new partner Blake, a friend who had been at her side since she was rushed to hospital.

Kayla said: “He is amazing, he would hold me even when I was covered in stitches and told me I was beautiful. He picked up the broken pieces.

“He played a humungous part in my recovery and picked me up on my hardest days.

“He showed me that not all guys are like my ex and that there are good people out there.”

Kayla is fundraising to pay-off her medical bills and future treatment, as well as repaying her school scholarship after being forced to drop out because of the attack.

She hopes to one day return to education and transition her studies to focus on domestic violence-related issues.

To donate to her cause visit her fundraising page.

Kayla has bravely shared photos of her lip after the attack. [Courtesy]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

U.S. President Donald Trump has rekindled debate over the pros and cons of right to citizenship by birth. On Wednesday, he said his administration is seriously looking at ending the right of citizenship for U.S.-born children of non-citizens.

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump also said he intends to end the right of citizenship to people who illegally  immigrated to the United States

“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby – congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen. … It’s frankly ridiculous,” he said.

This is not the first time Trump is expressing his displeasure with the the 14th amendment which made it easier for people from other countries to easily assimilate into the system. In 2018,  he he  told Axios news website that he would end “birthright citizenship” through an executive order.

Experts have however said such a move would run afoul of the U.S. Constitution.

The Constitution’s 14th Amendment, which was passed after the US Civil War with the aim of ensuring that black Americans had full citizenship rights, granted citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States.”

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Mr Bean attends the wrong funeral service

To date, that amendment has been used to grant citizenship to millions of people born in the United States, whether or not their parents are American citizens or legally in the country.

 

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Trump tightens Work Permit Rules for Immigrants Paroled into the US

Published

on

The Trump administration on Monday issued a new policy guideline that tightens in issuance of work permits to immigrants who have been paroled into the United States, including those who are otherwise inadmissible.

In the new policy guideline, contained in Volume 10 of the Policy Manual, The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) states that the agency has discretion to grant employment authorization to foreign nationals, and that applicants “are not entitled to employment authorization.”

USCIS says it will grant discretionary employment authorization on a case-by-case basis, “taking into account all factors and considering the totality of the circumstances of each individual case.” Such factors include the immigrant’s criminal record, and immigrant having been subject to a final removal order, or misrepresentation to an immigration officer.

Work permits are normally issued to foreign nationals who are paroled into the US for several reasons such as when adjusting status from a non-immigrant visa holder such as F-1 to an immigration visa holder/permanent resident or from an expired status to a green card holder. They are also issued to refugees/asylum applicants, as well as Temporary Protected Status (TPS) beneficiaries.

USCIS states that the need for the guidance arose from the “national emergency at the U.S. souther border where foreign nationals are entering the U.S. illegally.”

READ ALSO:   Kenyan man arrested, charged with forcefully trying to circumcise his wife

Immigration advocates say the move is one of Trump administration’s efforts to limit the number of work permits issued. “This is where they were heading from the beginning. They want to see fewer [wok permit] issued,” Natalie Tynan, an immigration lawyer, and former Immigration and Customs Enforcement policy unit chief said.

-Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Permanent Residence Draw held in Canada as 3600 Candidates invited to apply

Published

on

The Canadian government has invited 3,600 individuals who participated in the Express Entry to apply for the country’s permanent residence in the latest draw held on Tuesday, August 20th.

The cut-off Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score for the August 12th draw was 457, which is the lowest score since May 1st.

Foreigners participating in the Express Entry draw are ranked based o the CRS score, which is based on factors such as the applicant’s age, education, skills level, work experience, proficiency in English or French, family ties to Canada, among others.

In order to qualify for the Express Entry pool, candidates must first meet the eligibility requirements for one of Canada’s three Federal High Skilled Economic-class immigration categories – the Federal Killed Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, and Canadian Experience Class.

Candidates enter a pool, and the best candidates are picked in a draw that takes place every two weeks. An Invitation to Apply (ITA) then gives the candidate the go-ahead to apply for Canadian permanent residence.
56,200  ITAs have thus far in 2019 been issued through the Express Entry program. The government has set a target of 81,400 ITAs for 2019 through this program.

To be eligible for the August 20th draw, candidates had to have submitted their profiles before March 24th, 2019.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Mr Bean attends the wrong funeral service

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

SOURCE: Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!