Residents of Itura Village in Meru were last week left in shock and disbelief when a woman alleged that her husband died when they were in the middle of a lovemaking session.
“I had sex with my husband and in the process I realised he was no more,” the woman said.
According to reports, this was not convincing to her Igembe South in-laws who took the body of Nicholas Mwithu to Igembe South level four hospital for post-mortem tests.
“I was called by my in-law at about 1 pm, she said my brother had just passed on. My brother’s body was in the sitting room with a towel around his waist. I was not convinced with what his wife told me,” said Mwithu’s sister, Susan Gacheri.
Tony Muthomi, a miraa trader at Athiru market, said the deceased’s wife claimed that her husband was chewing miraa and had a cup of tea.
“The wife said when he(Mwithu) came home he was chewing Miraa and had asked for a cup of tea before he later asked her to warm some water for him to take a shower. However, she said before Mwithu could bath, they had sex in the sitting room,” said Muthomi, adding, “and that is how he died. Unbelievable.”
A family member, Florence Kathuku, said the woman had given them two contradictory statements on the death of their kin.
Confirming the incident, Igembe South Police boss Rashid Mohammed said they are investigating the matter and more light will be shed after the autopsy findings are out.
According to Dr Benjamin Kanake, a medical practitioner in Meru, it was possible for someone to die during intimacy, especially among those who have health issues or use sex-enhancing tablets.
“Love session is a long exercise, for instance when one who has stayed for long without having it, when he attempts he might do it vigorously. So if you have medical complications like hypertension or the heart problem and you engage yourself in marathon sex a death may occur due to heart attack,” said Dr Kanake.
He went on: “Some men also use sex-enhancing drugs while they have medical problems which have not been diagnosed. These drugs should not be bought over the counter but need a thorough prescription from the doctors. Overdosage can also be poisonous and kill.”
He nonetheless says that a post-mortem must be conducted to confirm the cause of death.