Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Here is why CNN has sued Trump in unprecedented move

Published

on

BY BMJ MURIITHI

Giant American Media House Cable News Network (CNN) has made good its threat and filed  an unprecedented lawsuit against President Trump and his administration, seeking the immediate restoration of its chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta’s access to the White House.

The lawsuit is in response to the White House’s suspension of Acosta’s press pass, known as a Secret Service “hard pass,” last week. The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN’s First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.

According to CNN Spokeswoman, the suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday morning.

“CNN filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration this morning in DC District Court,” the statement read. “It demands the return of the White House credentials of CNN’s Chief White House correspondent, Jim Acosta. The wrongful revocation of these credentials violates CNN and Acosta’s First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process. We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process.”

But in a quick rejoinder, soon after CNN went public with the action it is taking, White House let out a terse statement indicating its resolve to defend its position.  White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said that CNN is “grandstanding” by suing and that the Trump administration  will “vigorously defend” itself.

READ ALSO:   HILARIOUS VIDEO: Is Trump the new Lion King?

 

CNN also asserted that other news organizations could have been targeted by the Trump administration this way, and could be in the future.

“While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone,” the network said. “If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”

There are six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and the Secret Service officer who took Acosta’s hard pass away last Wednesday. The officer is identified as John Doe in the suit, pending his identification.

The six defendants are all named because of their roles in enforcing and announcing Acosta’s suspension

and both CNN and Acosta are plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

CNN wrote a letter to the White House on Friday formally requesting the immediate reinstatement of Acosta’s pass and warning of a possible lawsuit, but the Trump administration has remained adamant.

In a statement on Tuesday morning, CNN said it is seeking a preliminary injunction as soon as possible so that Acosta can return to the White House right away, and a ruling from the court preventing the White House from revoking Acosta’s pass in the future.

READ ALSO:   "Hillary for Prison" comment haunts Trump's nominee as ambassador to Kenya

The White House accused Acosta of placing his hands on an intern who was trying to take a microphone away from him during a press conference.

In the current suit, CNN Worldwide chief counsel David Vigilante is joined by two prominent attorneys, Ted Boutrous and Theodore Olson to represent the Media organisation.

According to CNN, Acosta is on a previously scheduled vacation this week. He declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Here is the full statement issued by the White House press secretary Sarah Sanders on Tuesday:

“We have been advised that CNN has filed a complaint challenging the suspension of Jim Acosta’s hard pass. This is just more grandstanding from CNN, and we will vigorously defend against this lawsuit.

CNN, who has nearly 50 additional hard pass holders, and Mr. Acosta is no more or less special than any other media outlet or reporter with respect to the First Amendment. After Mr. Acosta asked the President two questions—each of which the President answered—he physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern, so that other reporters might ask their questions. This was not the first time this reporter has inappropriately refused to yield to other reporters.
The White House cannot run an orderly and fair press conference when a reporter acts this way, which is neither appropriate nor professional. The First Amendment is not served when a single reporter, of more than 150 present, attempts to monopolize the floor. If there is no check on this type of behavior it impedes the ability of the President, the White House staff, and members of the media to conduct business.”

READ ALSO:   SHOCKING VIDEO: Awkward moment as Trump violently shoves a prime minister

The White House Correspondents’ Association also released a statement Tuesday about CNN’s lawsuit against President Trump.

WHCA President Oliver Knox said the association “strongly supports CNN’s goal of seeing their correspondent regain a US Secret Service security credential that the White House should not haven taken away in the first place.”

 

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

KCSE candidate loses two teeth in brutal attack by prefects

Published

on

A Form Four student at Mutindwa Day Mixed Secondary School in Tharaka-Nithi County lost two teeth in an alleged brutal attack by the school head boy and four of his friends.

Ian Karani, who is recuperating at PCEA Chogoria Mission Hospital where he was admitted on Wednesday last week, told the media that the prefect and his colleagues beat him up for walking out of the dining hall with food against the school regulations.

“The head boy approached me demanding to know why I taking my food outside the dining hall and before I explained he descended on me with blows before his four friends joined him,” Karani said.

Left lying

He said after a thorough beating he was left lying on the ground with blood oozing from mouth and the nose where he was picked by teachers and rushed to the hospital.

The students said teachers lied to the hospital that he had accidentally fallen and also demanded that he should not tell the truth to avoid the matter becoming a police case.

Mr Murithi Ndubi, Karani’s father, said when he got information on what had happened to his son, he rushed to the hospital and found him at the casualty room unconscious.

READ ALSO:   Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

He claimed that teachers have been intimidating his son forcing him to lie that he fell so as to protect the school reputation and avoid dragging the management into police cases.

“I want justice for my son because he suffered permanent injuries at the hands of prefects and teachers don’t want the truth to come out,” said Mr Ndubi.

Indiscipline case

School principal Mr Mugambi Mitambo agreed that the boy was beaten by the school head boy and four other Form Four boys and assured that he was handling the indiscipline case appropriately.

“Karani lost his teeth while fighting with the prefect and other four boys and I’m handling the matter as an indiscipline case,” said Mr Mitambo.

BY Nairobi News

Continue Reading

News

Sonko compares his extended foreign tour to Trump’s trips abroad

Published

on

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko who has been ‘missing’ for almost two weeks now has compared his absence to that of United States President Donald Trump.

Even as he is being investigated in numerous corruption cases, Sonko has had the time to visit several countries abroad including Dubai, Italy, France and later in the week he will be visiting South Korea.

On Tuesday, through social media, Sonko explained why he has been away, stating that all the trips he has taken are good for the city.

“In the last week starting Monday 7th October, I have been out of the country on an official tour where I visited Europe (France) Montpellier, Copenhagen (Denmark) and Asia (South Korea) to attend key note events where other major cities of the world were represented by my counterparts,” Sonko wrote Facebook.

He compared the trips to those of Trump after he took over the Oval office.

“In 2017, US President Donald Trump made several foreign trips, one from 20th to 27th May (8 Days) where he visited a number of Middle East Countries and another in November 5th to 14th (10 Days) visiting Asia, the Korea Peninsula and China. In 2018, Trump went for several foreign trips with one lasting from June 7th to 16th (9 Days) in Europe,” he explained.

READ ALSO:   LIVE FROM WASHINGTON: Watch the State of the Union address

He further said that as the governor he has also made several crucial official trips to represent Nairobi City around the world in the last two years.

This he explained is because he believes it is important for him get to interact with other world city leaders and get to see or learn what they are doing differently in their respective cities.

That aside, Sonko admitted that he has been enjoying every moment of his foreign trip.

BY Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Nazizi exhilarated as son meets President Uhuru Kenyatta

Published

on

Last week marked eight decades since St Mary’s School, Nairobi was started and in honor of the fete, the school’s former and current students came together to celebrate.

Leading the ceremony was Saints alumni President Uhuru Kenyatta who stole the show when he turned up dressed in full school uniform.

Legendary Kenyan Hip hop artist Nazizi Hirji’s 9-year-old son Tafari Firoz who is a pupil at the institution had the privilege of meeting President Uhuru Kenyatta and sharing a cake-cutting session with him.

Tafari was among a select number of students chosen to participate in the event.

An elated Nazizi took to Instagram to share her proud mama moment with her online family.

“The president of my heart @tafari_firoz got to meet the President of Kenya yesterday. The celebration was #saintsat80 and yes @uhurukenyatta is an old Saints boy. Super proud mum,” she wrote.

Nazizi’s son with President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Joining the president in celebration of the school’s 80th anniversary was Citizen TV news anchor Jeff Koinange, Baringo Senator Gideon Moi and business mogul Jimi Wanjigi, also alumnus of Saints.

The president was pleased with the warm welcome he got from St Mary’s students and in turn extended an invite to the learners to visit the State House for a tour as he urged for the school’s improved infrastructure.

READ ALSO:   "Hillary for Prison" comment haunts Trump's nominee as ambassador to Kenya

“Let’s put up credible framework to marshal resources to assist the school in improving libraries and other infrastructure. Institutions’ histories are kept alive by people,” said the President.

By SDE

Continue Reading

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

November 2018
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Dec »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!