Connect with us

Africa

Top manager at Equity Bank linked to sexual harassment of interns fired

Published

on

A top manager at Equity Bank linked to sexual harassment of interns has been replaced after accusations against him were made public in Facebook posts last month.

The manager whose identity was not disclosed is accused of making inappropriate advances towards female interns under the Equity Leaders Programme — which offers internship in the bank branches and scholarships in top global universities.

The bank, through its designate chairman David Ansell will Wednesday post a statement in Facebook indicating that the manager has been dismissed.

This followed month-long investigations after the interns through social media posts on October 3 made sexual harassment allegations against the manager.

“The Group is committed to maintaining the confidentiality of both the claimants and the accused. This said, the Group has taken necessary measures in line with its policies and procedures, including disciplinary measures, and in some cases termination/separation of employment of certain staff,” a statement signed by Mr Ansell said.

“Furthermore, we confirm that the claimants who presented their concerns have been individually contacted and informed of the outcome of the process, and offered all necessary support.”

Sexual harassment at the workplace was thrust to the global limelight recently after tech giant Google revealed that in the past two years 48 people including 13 senior managers were fired for similar offences.

Google also had to fight accusations that it gave $90 million exit package to Andy Rubin after the then-senior vice president was accused of sexual harassment, sparking workers protests. Equity reckons it will bring on board an external agent to provide staff and interns a channel to report cases of sexual harassment anonymously.

“Sexual harassment/assault in the workplace is totally unacceptable. We at Equity Group have chosen to share our experience openly and raise awareness on this issue of public interest,” Mr Ansell said.

Business Daily

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

American who survived 9/11 dies in Riverside attack

Published

on

An American who survived the 9/11 terror attack is among those who were killed in Tuesday’s terror attack at Nairobi’s 14 Riverside Drive.

Jason Spindler’s mother Sarah Sandler told NBC News that her son “was trying to make positive change in the third world in emerging markets.”

Jason’s brother, Jonathan, also confirmed the family’s tragic loss via Facebook.

“It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that my brother, Jason Spindler passed away this morning during a terror attack in Nairobi, Kenya. Jason was a survivor of 9-11 and a fighter. I am sure he gave them hell!” Jonathan’s post read.

HAVING LUNCH

The US State department confirmed that an American citizen was killed in the Tuesday attack.

Spindler, who was the CEO and Global Managing Director of I-DEV International, was, according to colleagues, having lunch at the Dusit Hotel when the attack happened.

I-DEV is based at Metta, a space for entrepreneurs that is located at the 14 Riverside office complex in the Belgravia building’s sixth floor.

The Metta Africa Head of Community, memberships and operations Essie Mwikali said there were 45 people at the space when the attack happened and accounted for everyone and confirmed the death of Spindler.

Nailab CEO Sam Gichuru eulogized Spindler as “a strong supporter of the Kenyan Tech Ecosystem.”

By Agencies

Continue Reading

Africa

Why Java House will not open again on Westgate Mall: Founder speaks out on what happened during Westgate attack

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

Java House founder has said the coffee house does not have plans of going back to Westgate Mall which was attacked by terrorists five years ago.

Recounting what happened, the coffee house’s chairman and founder Mr Kevin Ashley, said they will not open another Java Coffee House in the mall because he would not anybody’s children as much as his own, to go back to the mall.

“My view is that if I don’t want my own kids to go there, why would I want someone else’s kid to work there?” said Mr Ashley.

Recounting the terrorist attack, the Java founder said he was in California when terrorists stormed in the high end mall and he was scared for his children.

“My kids were in Nairobi. First I didn’t know where they were…they could have been in the mall. When I heard the news, I was on the phone with our yoghurt shop manager who was on the floor hiding. I could hear the gunshots,” he explains in an interview with GainExperience.

He told the manger to make sure she had nothing in her hands and to keep her uniform on.

“Don’t move because a security guard might walk in and shoot you, thinking you’re a terrorist. Stay calm, relax, keep your uniform”.

He then got on a plane and 36 hours later, he was in Nairobi.

When he arrived in Nairobi there were still things going on at the mall, rescue missions which took upto three days.

“They were still unsure about killing all the terrorists, I met with all the staff, no one was hurt.”

The chairman has also faulted the mall’s management for going on about the business without putting up a memorial plaque to remember the souls that were lost in the premises.

“People died there. There’s no plaque, no memorial, no park, there’s nothing there! We don’t need to go back in there with a profit motive and try to make a point. It’s karma…” he adds

Continue Reading

Africa

University expels female student for hugging male friend

Published

on

A university on Sunday said it had expelled a female student after she appeared in a video hugging a male colleague, accusing her of undermining the school’s reputation.

The video, which went viral earlier this month, showed a young man carrying a bouquet of flowers kneeling before a young woman and then hugging her in what appeared to be a marriage proposal.

The video was apparently not filmed at Al-Azhar University— a branch of Egypt’s highest Sunni Muslim authority — but at another establishment, Mansoura University in the country’s north.

Nevertheless the disciplinary council of the Al-Azhar University campus in Mansoura on Saturday “decided to expel the young girl definitively”, university spokesman Ahmed Zarie told AFP.

He said the video had caused a “public outcry” and that the university’s decision to expel her was because she had presented a “bad image” of Al-Azhar University, which strictly segregates the genders.

He said hugging between unmarried men and women violates “the values and principles of society”.

The woman, however, can appeal the expulsion decision, Zarie said.

The young man who appeared in the video could also face sanctions, a spokesman for Mansoura University said, adding that the school’s disciplinary council will meet on Monday to decide his “punishment”.

Egypt, a predominantly Muslim country, is a largely conservative society.

Last year, prosecutors detained a female singer for four days for “incitement to debauchery” after an online video clip which included sensual oriental dances and suggestive gestures went viral.

And in 2017 another female pop singer was sentenced to two years in prison on similar charges, also over a video deemed provocative. Her sentence was reduced to a year on appeal.​

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!