Connect with us

News

Wedding called off last minute as pastor demands couple undergoes HIV tests

Published

on

All indications pointed to a perfect wedding. Everything was set. Cream and maroon had been unanimously settled on as the theme colours.

The couple, Joyce Waithera and Paul Waithaka, their families and friends were all looking forward to a great day.

The wedding was to be held at Mizpah House of Prayer Church in Bahati, Nakuru County, last Saturday.

However, in a shocking turn of events, the wedding did not happen after the officiating pastor cancelled it at the last minute.

It was a heartbreaking decision for Waithera and Waithaka, together with their families and hundreds of guests.

Waithera’s father, Henry Kamau, said they arrived at the church from his home in Gilgil around 10am expecting to have a great day.

Dear reader, Please like our FB page and get more Breaking News instantly:

 

“The family and friends of the groom picked up my daughter early in the morning. By 10am, we were at the church. However, we noticed that nothing much was going on save for the local choir singing,” said Mr Kamau.

Kamau said the preacher demanded that Waithera and Waithaka go for a medical checkup and bring him the results before he could conduct their wedding.

Most churches require couples to undergo pregnancy and HIV tests before they are joined in holy matrimony.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Why most Kenyan men never compliment their wives and say "you are well dressed, etc."

The couple is said to have returned to the church at noon with the results. However, the preacher kept them waiting for another two hours then demanded that they go for another test. This time, he specified the particular hospital he wanted the test done.

“We knew something was amiss when he directed them to have a second test without giving reasons. My daughter and her fiancé obliged hoping it would end of the torment,” said Kamau.

Prior to the wedding, the couple had gone for another medical test.

The results of the second test were submitted to the preacher at 4pm. He preacher called the couple, their parents and close friends to his office. He was said to have opened the results but said he did not understand everything the doctor had written.

“He said the results were okay but some sections were not legible. He then demanded that a health practitioner be brought to the church to explain what he couldn’t understand in the report,” said Kamau.

As the sun was setting, the congregation was growing impatient. People threatened to break into the preacher’s office but the man of the cloth called in the police, who rounded up several guests and bundled them into their vehicle.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan parents in US reward their son with a brand new Audi A6 for excelling in school

Those arrested, including the couple’s relatives, were released later without any charges.

A few minutes after 6pm, Apostle Karanja announced that he would not officiate at the wedding as it was too late. The congregation was left speechless and started dispersing.

The Waithera and Waithaka got into separate vehicles and left the church compound.

The reception was at the Kenya Industrial Training Institute (KITI), where hundreds of guests were already waiting. Over 300 seats had been arranged.

Daniel Kamau, a brother of the bride, said the budget was over Sh1 million. It took six months to plan the wedding.

“It is a waste. We have wasted money and time, not mentioning the torture the preacher has subjected the couple, their families and friends to. His behaviour clearly shows he was not willing to join the two in marriage,” said Daniel.

The families call in those living around KITI to eat the wedding feast as the couple was driven away in their different cars to an undisclosed location. Kamau lamented that Apostle Karanja had been an obstacle to his daughter’s wedding from the start. “During payment of the pride price, he delayed the delegation at the church compound without any reason.

“We will decide what cause of action to shall take. My daughter is depressed and needs time to comprehend what happened. This is not justifiable.”

READ ALSO:   Pastor Burale responds to ex-wife’s comments over their divorce

Waithera, who spoke to The Standard on phone, said she had no personal differences with the preacher and did not, therefore, understand why he cancelled her wedding.

“It was very embarrassing and heartbreaking for him to cancel our wedding after taking us through guidance and counselling sessions for five months. We had met all the conditions set by law and church. At no time did he mention we had erred in any way,” said Waithera.

Her fiance, Waithaka, said he was shocked by what happened. “It was painful for me. It was humiliating. We have yet to know the way forward.” Waithaka has been an interpreter at the church for many years.

Speaking during a Sunday service yesterday, Apostle Karanja, without giving details, said the couple did not meet the standards set out by the church for him to officiate at their wedding.

“Our church has set standards that must be met as far as birth, marriage and burial are concerned. The standards are not subject to discussion.”

sde

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Body of doctor who died in Cuba arrives

Published

on

The body of a Kenyan doctor who allegedly committed suicide due to frustrations in Cuba has arrived at the Moi International Airport in Mombasa.

After arrival, the body of Dr Ali Juma was scheduled to be taken to the Coast Provincial General Hospital for a second post-mortem examination.

Family, relatives, friends, politicians and senior officials of the Mombasa County government were Friday morning at the airport to receive the body.

Likoni MP Mishi Mboko, who is the doctor’s sister, could not contain herself as the body arrived.

The family said Thursday that they were yet to receive a reports on the post-mortem which was done in Cuba.

“Post-mortem to ascertain the cause of death was conducted in Havana. However, as a family we are yet to get the details of the findings; we are still in the dark,” said a family member.

“The body of the late Dr Ali Juma arrives in the morning (Friday). Burial [will be] in Shikadabu Likoni after Friday prayers, post-mortem [will be done] at CPGH in the morning. We are doing an independent post-mortem here,” said a family source.

Changamwe MP Omar Mwinyi, Rabai’s William Kamoti were among politicians at the airport who went to receive the body for burial.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan parents in US reward their son with a brand new Audi A6 for excelling in school

County Chief Health Officer Khadija Shikely, Director of Media Services Shem Patta were among senior doctors in Mombasa at the airport.

Dr Juma was undertaking a postgraduate diploma in family medicine in Cuba.

His colleagues, friends and relatives are yet to come to come to terms with the fact that he could have taken his own life.

The Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU), led by Deputy Secretary-General Chibanzi Mwachonda, called for immediate termination of the doctors training in Cuba.

But in her tweet, Health Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki said she had dispatched a team to Cuba to facilitate the ongoing investigations on the death.

“[I] held a meeting with the Cuban Ambassador to Kenya, Ernesto Gomez Diaz, on the circumstances pertaining to the death of Dr Hamisi Ali Juma in Cuba. I have dispatched a team from the Ministry of Health to facilitate ongoing investigations in Havana,” Ms Kariuki said.

In a statement, KMPDU Secretary-General Ouma Oluga said that doctors had expressed their frustrations over non-payment of allowances.

Dr Oluga said the Kenyan embassy exhibits high-handedness when concerns are raised.

“It is ironical how Cuban doctors in Kenya receive royal treatment with chauffeured transport and lavish living funded by taxpayers’ money,” Dr Oluga added.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Drama as ‘Mpango wa kando’ shows up at lover’s wedding dressed in own gown, head veil

The union, which says the programme has not benefited the health workers, has recommended that the sponsorship be provided in Kenyan universities.

Governor Hassan Joho is expected at CPGH during the post-mortem examination.

source:nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: Here’s the heartbreaking update of the Sh1b #KenyansForKenya initiative

Published

on

The Kenyans for Kenya hunger initiative in Turkana has come a cropper after projects developed under it were abandoned long time ago.

The famed project sponsored by the Kenya Red Cross in 2011 and supported by a number of corporate organisations and celebrities – and boosted by millions of Kenyans who contributed as little as Sh10 –  ran for only three years before it grounded.

More Sh700 million in cash and Sh300 million in kind were collected from the initiative and most of the money was invested in farm projects that were to serve as a long-term solution to the often deadly hunger in the arid county.

PR CAMPAIGN OF THE YEAR

Later, the initiative won Kenya Red Cross Society, Gina Din Corporate Communications, Safaricom Foundation and KCB Foundation the overall PR Campaign of the Year 2011 Award for their joint entry.

James Ngorpus shows a signpost at the Kenyans for Kenya Turkana North Food Security and Livelihood Project at Nakinomet. PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA

Nation journalists visited one of the abandoned farms in Nakinomet in Kibish Sub County on Thursday and found hundreds of rusting poles that once held shade nets for flourishing crops beneath them.

Black pipes that once let flow millions of litres of water into the farm have been destroyed and were strewn all over the farm. A wire mesh around it went down years ago.

READ ALSO:   Televangelist James Ng’ang’a arrested for "threatening Linus Kaikai"

Camels have since made the farm their home as they feed on the shrubs that have sprouted from it since it grounded in 2017.

Residents of Nakinomet village who benefitted from it said they had been thrown into starvation since the project went down.

“We cannot lie that we did not benefit from the project because we made money from the crops we planted here. We had enough for ourselves and then extra to sell,” said Mr James Ngorupus, who said he once made Sh12, 000 from crops he planted within the farm.

At least 30 residents were roped in by Red Cross to put up farms within the site. They planted tomatoes, sorghum, kales and some maize.

PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA|NMG

TANK MALFUNCTIONED

The residents said the nets that were protecting the crops from the scorching sun were torn and were not replaced. A pipe that let in water from a nearby tank also malfunctioned.

They are now using the torn nets to cover the rooftops of their manyattas.

“There were no deaths from hunger here when the project was on, now deaths are back. So far we have lost eight people to hunger this month alone,” said Mr Richard Ekal, one of the beneficiaries.

Eyanai Hezron (left) and Eyanai Elim show a water pipe at the abandoned Kenyans for Kenya Turkana North Food Security and Livelihood Project at Nakinomet. PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA

 

Continue Reading

News

Uhuru is offline. This is why

Published

on

You will not be able to follow, like or comment on President Kenyatta’s social media accounts, at least for now.

This is after the head of state suspended all his social media handles on Friday morning over hacking by some staff in his office.

The first to go was his Twitter account, @UKenyatta, with its 3.62 million followers and 12,300 tweets.

Moments later, his verified Facebook account, #Uhuru Kenyatta, was blacked out.

This sparked off speculation that one of Africa’s Twitter presidents had been suspended by the microblog.

But Mr Kenyatta had not violated any of the rules and Twitter was not giving that explanation for the missing account.

“Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!” that is the response Twitter was giving.

The rumours of Twitter taking action against the president were fanned by the fact that hours before the suspension, he had tweeted a stern warning on corruption.

“If you are corrupt we will fight you. You can be my brother or my sister or my closest political ally, but if you are corrupt we will fight you,” Mr Kenyatta tweeted from Windhoek, the Namibian capital, where he is on a state visit.

Analysis of comments by Kenyans on Twitter (KOT) shows that many believed an administrator with ill intentions had fired the tweet to put Mr Kenyatta at loggerheads with his deputy William Ruto.

READ ALSO:   Televangelist James Ng’ang’a arrested for "threatening Linus Kaikai"

Mr Ruto, Mr Kenyatta’s close ally and marriage partner in the ruling Jubilee Party, has made it clear that the ongoing war on grand corruption and brazen theft of public resources is targeting him and his 2022 presidential ambitions.

But after hours of speculation, his Chief Of Staff Nzioka Waita tweeted that the accounts had been deactivated.

“On account of unauthorised access to the official social media handles of H.E the President of the Republic of Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta .All official social media handles for the President have been temporarily suspended to allow for the necessary remedial measures to be undertaken,” he said.

It is not the first time social media accounts associated with the president, State House and his office are being hacked and misused.

In July 2018, two Twitter accounts; @PresidentKE and @PSCU_Digital, which had been used for disseminating information to the public on behalf of the president, were pulled down.

“In this regard and with immediate effect the only official digital media channels that will convey information for and on behalf of the President, Her Excellency the First Lady and State House are as detailed below: Twitter: @StateHouseKenya, @UKenyatta, @FirstLadyKenya @KanzeDena; Facebook: State House Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta, @Office of the First Lady Kenya,” Mr Waita said then.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO:Pastor speaks out on why he refused to wed Nakuru couple

President Kenyatta is the most followed leader in Sub-Saharan Africa on Twitter with more than three million followers.

This is according to a study released last year and dubbed Twiplomacy by Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW), an international communications agency.

SOURCE: nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!