Connect with us

News

Nyeri ‘most wanted man’ found dead, stuffed in a sack and dumped in a dam

Published

on

One of Nyeri’s most wanted robbery suspects who had surrendered to police a month ago has been found dead..

The body of John Githinji alia Mrefu was found in Karia Dam outside Nyeri Town barely two weeks after he was released from police custody.

Circumstances leading to his death remain unclear but human rights groups and his relatives are pointing fingers at the police, accusing them of involvement.

Githinji had surrendered himself alongside another robbery suspect, Josephh Kang’ethe, at the Central Region’s Directorate of Criminal Investigations headquarters on October 22.

Police are said to have been pursuing Kang’ethe alias Wakinanyu and Githinji over links to violent robberies as well as links to the outlawed Mungiki sect.

The two surrendered through human rights lobby groups Informaction and Muslims for Human Rights (Muhuri), claiming their lives were in danger.

They claimed that police had been out to kill them since July following the murder of Kamakwa Location Chief Kimiti Nyuguto.

Nevertheless, they admitted to having been involved in crime in the past but maintained they had reformed.

Githinji was convicted of robbery with violence in 2000 and jailed at the Nyeri GK Prison until 2006 when he was set free.

Two years later, police profiled him as a wanted man after he allegedly attempted to hijack then Nyeri Central OCS.

Detective previously linked him to a series of robberies and organised crimes in Nyeri.

The two suspects were presented in court twice where charges of robbery with violence were preferred against Kang’ethe.

Githinji was released on grounds that police did not have any evidence to prosecute him.

On Sunday night, Githinji was reported missing with reports emerging that he had been picked up by unknown people at his shop in Nyeri Town.

According to his wife, Julia Wanjiku, the family received a call that her husband had been picked up by unknown people and taken to Nyeri Police Station.

“Someone came claiming that he owed him Sh30 and they left the shop together. He never returned,” Ms Wanjiku said.

A search for him started and after failure to locate him for three days, the family decided to file a missing person’s report on Thursday at the Nyeri Police Station.

“We came to the station in the morning and reported. An officer told us that a body had been found in a dam that morning,” a dejected Ms Wanjiku said.

The disfigured body if the father of four is said to have been found stuffed in a sack and dumped in the dam.

The family later positively the body at Nyeri County Referral Hospital (PGH) mortuary.

Following the death, questions have emerged over whether his recent arrest, release and death are a mere coincidence or if it was a plot by police to eliminate him in an extrajudicial manner.

Muhuri have called for independent investigations and demanded the arrest of top police bosses over the death.

The lobby group accused police of using unlawful techniques to eliminate suspects who had already surrendered themselves.

“Muhuri is concerned by continuous and credible reports of unlawful killings by the alleged police officers and see these as proof of the urgent need for renewed momentum behind the Kenyan security reform. We cannot remain quiet seeing civilians killed. As an organisation, Muhuri is calling on the government and the police to come open and confirm the security of the Kenyan people,” the lobby group’s chairman Khelef Khalifa said in a statement.

Police on the other hand have distanced themselves from the death of Githinji, insisting that the report came in as that of a body recovery.

Nyeri Central Divisional police boss Paul Kuria said that they are yet to settle on murder as the cause of death until a post-mortem is conducted.

“We cannot speculate until a post-mortem is done. It will be done at the convenience of the family in their presence, then investigations will follow as per procedure,” Mr Kuria said.

As far as the police boss is concerned, there is no link so far between Githinji’s death and his criminal past.

“There was no evidence to prosecute him so there was no need to continue holding him. There was no case against him even after he was released,” Mr Kuria said.

nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

38-year-old DJ Makena says she’s not yet ready for marriage: Searching for someone who really speaks to my heart is not easy

Published

on

DJ Pierra Makena isn’t ready to walk down the aisle any time soon because she hasn’t found someone worth it.

The mother of one who recently clocked 38 years revealed that she’s not in a rush to settle down because she’s looking for someone who will understand her.

“I’m not ready for marriage, not ready to be someone’s wife yet. I’m not in a rush. Searching for someone who really speaks to my heart is not easy,” she said in an interview with Mpasho. 

Private

Makena said that though her love with her baby daddy went sour and he walked away, she’s still not afraid of loving again. But, she’s keeping everything private now more than ever.

“I believe in love. Many people thought that after the breakup I would not love again. I tend to give a lot of love, I get to receive a lot of love. But you know what, I never put my love life in public. I am a loved girl. I really like to keep my life private,” she said. 

Adding:

“Nowadays I look for the heart. It’s not all about material things. I love someone who speaks to my heart.” she posted. 

source:Ghafla

Continue Reading

News

Why Zahra Moi declined appointment to Nairobi Hospital board

Published

on

Zahra Moi has explained why she turned down her nomination to be a director at the Board of Management of Kenya Hospital Association, the owners of the Nairobi Hospital.

Zahra, who is the wife of Baringo Senator Gideon Moi, has expressed her reservations regarding the nomination through a letter sent to the Nairobi Hospital Company Secretary.

“It is with regret, however, that I must decline your invitation. Due to time constraints, my schedule simply will not allow me to participate meaningfully on your board at this time,” Zahra explained in her letter.

“I have immense respect for the work you do, and fear that the demands on my time will prevent me from giving the KHA the attention it deserves,” she explained further.

STANDOFF

She also noted that she did not participate in any of the meetings leading to her nomination, nor did she offer herself for election.

Zahra said she had not been at the Nairobi Hospital in recent times, contrary to media reports on the recent change of guard at the facility.

On 17th April there was a standoff at the Nairobi Hospital as the newly-elected board members tried to access the premises.

The current board members said that they were still running the hospital as they had been given a court order barring the elected members to assume office pending hearing.

REAPPOINTMENT

“We are happy to inform you that the court has issued an order restraining those purported to have been elected from assuming office pending inter-party hearing,” the board members said in an advert in local dailies on Friday.

“We wish to assure you that the validly elected Board of Management continues to run The Nairobi Hospital and is making the best efforts to implement strategic decisions to enhance the governance and operations of the hospital,” read the advert.

Last month, Tourism Cabinet Secretary Najib Balala reappointed Mrs Moi to sit in Tourism Research Institute Board, a post she has held since 2016.

“In exercise of the powers conferred by section 54 (1) (h) of the Tourism Act, 2011, the Cabinet Secretary for Tourism and Wildlife re-appoints Zahra Bahwela Moi to be a member of the Board of Tourism Research Institute, for a period of three years, with effect from the 1st June, 2019,” the notice read.

source:Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Business

Kenya to deport foreigners in betting

Published

on

Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has issued deportation order against foreigners who entered Kenya for other businesses but ended up investing in the betting industry.

More to follow…

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!