Connect with us

News

Revealed: Over half of candidates scored D and below in this year’s KCSE

Published

on

More than half the candidates who sat this year’s Form Four examination failed to get a grade that can allow pursue a professional course.

This is despite the government spending close to Sh20 billion on the students in the last four years.

An analysis of the results shows that 343,897 candidates scored grade D and below.

It means they cannot apply for professional courses or even be employed as police officers since the entry grade to the service is D+.

An analysis of the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education results, which were released on Friday, indicates that 147,918 students attained grade D, some 165,139 had D- while 30,840 candidates scored E.

The 40,707 students who scored C and 71,047 who had C- will be able to join technical and vocational training institutes and teachers training colleges.

This year, the number of candidates who scored the minimum university entry mean grade of C+ and above is 90,377 or 13.77 per cent of the total number of those who sat the tests.

In 2017, the number was 70,073 or just 11.38 per cent of the candidates.

The total number of students who sat the examination this year was 660,204, with 338,628 being male while 321,576 were female, representing 51.29 per cent and 48.71 per cent respectively.

READ ALSO:   Why Knut officials want Sossion out - VIDEO

It means only one in seven KCSE examination candidates achieved the university entry grade.

The number translates to 15 per cent of the 2018 KCSE test candidates.

Last year, education experts, teachers unions and other stakeholders raised concerns following the mass failure and called for investigations.

In the 2017 KCSE examination, some 314,035 candidates scored grade D and below.

The Kenya National Union of Teachers and the Kenya Post Primary Education Teachers Union complained that the number could not proceed to university and college or even secure gainful employment.

The group is now joined another 295,463 boys and girls.

Mass mass failure in the last three years has also raised questions on the government’s hyped plan to achieve a 100 per cent transition from primary to secondary schooling.

Yesterday, education experts said the huge number of young men and women failing examinations is a ticking time bomb.

According to a Kuppet report released early this month, KCSE examination performance for 2016 and last year was peculiar. .

“Poor performance in national examinations is a precursor for crime, unhealthy behaviour and has a bearing on emotional balance, democracy and social cohesion,” the report said.

The teachers’ union added that the mass failure may have led to the loss of more than Sh56 billion and substantially reduced the capital base for public and private universities in the country.

READ ALSO:   Atheists Society offers top Pangani Girls student Sh100,000 if she converts

Kuppet added that curriculum implementation has been affected by the clamour for the mean score, making skills development subsidiary.

CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION

The report further noted that 70 per cent of students in secondary schools rarely search for new knowledge from books in libraries to enhance their creativity and innovation.

“The learners instead concentrate on revision materials,” the report added.

While releasing the results, Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed said candidates failed in many papers in the past because they did not have adequate depth of content and could not apply the syllabus critically when answering questions.

She said in 2017, most candidates’ answers to questions requiring elaborate responses were not tackled adequately.

“However, based on this year’s results, these gaps appear to have been addressed,” the minister said.

Moi University lecturer Okumu Bigambo on Saturday said the mass failure is an matter that must be addressed quickly.

“There is a lot of gambling in our education. Exams are being manned by police officers. Anyone sitting for a national test should be in a relaxed environment. The atmosphere was not good,” Prof Bigambo told the Nation.

nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

BREAKING: No KCPE, KCSE in 2020- CS Magoha announces

Published

on

Pre-primary, Primary and Secondary schools will reopen in January, 2021.

This was announced on Tuesday by Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha, who also reported there will be no KCPE and KCSE exams in 2020.

Prof Magoha said that based on the rising numbers of COVID-19 cases, Education stakeholders have shelved the initial proposal to reopen schools in September for class 8 and form 4 learners.

All learners in grade 1 to 4, Standard 5 to 7 and form 1 to 3 will remain in their current classes in 2020.

The Education CS, speaking at KICD on Tuesday further stated that the learners will sit their examinations later in 2021.

BY Pulse Live

READ ALSO:   Why Knut officials want Sossion out - VIDEO
Continue Reading

Health

City ‘curse’: Rural folk wary of returnees

Published

on

A section of residents in Western and Nyanza have expressed fear that the region could be exposed to more coronavirus infections with the reopening of the economy.

They have urged the government to hold reopening plans until the curve has been flattened.

Amid the excitement of the relaxed measures, some county governments have expressed concerns about the attitude of locals, which may pose a serious threat of new community infections in the coming months.

In Siaya, where all the cases so far reported were imported from Mombasa, Nairobi and Kwale, residents have not been taking chances with ‘suspicious guests’, often alerting authorities whenever spotted.

PROTECT PEOPLE

Until Monday’s announcement, those who have sneaked out of the lockdown areas of Nairobi and Mombasa would immediately be identified and reported to authorities.  Many have ended up in quarantine facilities. This move had scared cunning city dwellers from setting foot in their rural homes.

Celestine Owiti, 55, the Masinde primary school headteacher in Gem Sub-county, said lifting restrictions will negate all the gains the country has so far made.

“We have been smoking out those who sneak in to protect our people from being exposed to the virus because all the cases we have so far reported in Siaya are from outside the county,” she said.

READ ALSO:   Why Knut officials want Sossion out - VIDEO

“We have many people living in slums in the cities. These are some of the areas that have been reporting high cases. Without jobs, they will likely troop back to the villages. We will see an explosion of cases,” she cautioned.

HIGH CASES

Her sentiments are shared by many residents, who feel that the vulnerable, like the elderly in the villages, will be exposed to the virus. Siaya Police commander, Francis Kooli, told the Nation in a recent interview that the county’s rapid response team had activated surveillance systems, with specific target being those who reside in the sub-counties reporting high Covid-19 cases.

In Migori, County Heath Executive, Dr Iscah Oluoch, said while the department has put in place containment measures, the attitude of residents was worrying, adding  that individual responsibility was key in containing further spread of the virus, which has already affected 116 people in the county.

HEALTH RESTRICTIONS

“Our major challenge is handling county residents who take the precautionary measures lightly,” Dr Oluoch told the Nation in an interview. In Kakamega town, Mr Suleiman Sundukwe regretted that many Kenyans have ignored safeguard measures.

“Where there are no police officers, people behave normally without considering the health guidelines. Should the President open up the country, many people will die and many will be arrested for flouting the health restrictions,” observed Mr Sundukwe.

READ ALSO:   Police officer caught having sex with a Form Four student in a lodging

“Because the number is still going up, the President should have maintained the lockdown and enforce guidelines until everyone accepts and observes the restrictions before he opens up the economy,” he added.

RUNNING BATTLES

Mr Fadhil Eshikwekwe, a barber in Mumias town was, however, upbeat about the reopening, saying businesses have suffered.

In Kisumu, Ms Pamela Ogal, a resident of Buoye village, said: “We have to protect our lives since cases of Covid-19 are high in Nairobi and Mombasa. Nobody wants to be infected with Covid-19.”

In Homa Bay, many traders continue to disobey the health directives, often engaging in running battles with police.

By Daily Nation 

Continue Reading

News

Senate says sacking of top KEMRI official was hurried and unprocedural

Published

on

A Senate committee has revealed that the sacking of Joel Lutomiah as the director of the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Centre for Virus Research was hurried and unprocedural, a Senate committee has revealed.

A report by the Senate ad hoc committee on Covid-19 situation further concludes that the grounds for Dr Lutomiah’s removal over alleged failure to release Covid-19 test results to the Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe, was unlawful.

“The preliminary observation of the Committee is that the demotion of Dr Lutomiah was carried out in a rushed and unprocedural manner and did not comply with provisions of the Constitution,” the committee chaired by Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja said in its seventh progress report.

Lutomiah was demoted on April 17 by Kemri director general Yeri Kombe, reportedly on Health CS Mutahi Kagwe’s instructions, for delaying to release Covid 19 results.

In May, while appearing before the committee, an emotional Lutomiah blamed his woes on the ministry of Health acting Director General, Dr Patrick Amoth, and Dr Daniel Langat, the head of the ministry’s Department of Disease Surveillance and Epidemic Response Unit. He noted that he was condemned unheard.

However, Kagwe has distanced himself from the saga, explaining that the action was a “normal administrative issue” at Kemri.

READ ALSO:   Police officer caught having sex with a Form Four student in a lodging

“My understanding was that the individual was never sacked, but was just transferred from one department to another,” Mutahi told the National Assembly Health committee in April.

In the report, the committee said Lutomiah’s removal from the position violated the Fair Administrative Action Act (No. 5 of 2015), as well as various Guidelines, Protocols and Manuals governing disciplinary action.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

December 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!