Connect with us

Africa

Kenyan journalist sells Dusit photos at Sh50,000 each

Published

on

Just days after the 14 Riverside attack and the storm that fell on The New York Times for publishing gruesome pictures of the raid, some of the pictures have found their way to the auctioneer’s hammer.

Mr Kabir Dhanji, a Kenyan-born photojournalist, who has worked for some of the biggest international media houses, has decided to sell the pictures for as much as Sh50,000 per photo through Getty Images.

Getty is a visual media company with headquarters in Seattle, United States, which is a supplier of stock images, editorial photography, video and music with an archive of over 200 million assets.

Mr Dhanji has worked across Africa, covering and documenting the continent.

The self-taught photographer — with what he describes as a “skewed lens, that is constantly and forever learning to see and see again” — has put a price on the lifeless bodies of innocent people.

The Nation combed through the pages of Getty Images and found the Dusit photos being auctioned and credit given to AFP. According to the caption, credit should be given to him, AFP and Getty Images.

This comes after Kenyans accused the New York Times of employing double standards by publishing bodies of attack victims in Africa, while concealing them when attacks happen in America.

READ ALSO:   Hero guard who died saving tens of people at Dusit attack

The paper has largely been unapologetic despite a demand by the Media Council of Kenya and ordinary Kenyans to pull down the gory images.

But in an explainer published on Thursday, Mr Marc Lacey, NYT national editor, said the paper would “convene a group of people to come up with clearer guidelines.”

Mr Lacey said the decision to publish the picture had split the newsroom: “To give you a sense of how difficult these decisions are, there are people in the newsroom who felt in retrospect that we shouldn’t have run the Nairobi photo.

DailyNation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

Trump confirms he is adding Tanzania, Nigeria to No-Travel list

Published

on

President Donald Trump has confirmed that he is adding seven countries to his US travel ban, including -surprisingly – Tanzania.

Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, is also on the list.

Trump told the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) in an interview from Davos, Switzerland, that he plans to extend the controversial ban citing the need to curb terrorism and discourage illegal immigration.

but declined to name the countries to be added to the list.

Several media outlets reported Tuesday that the 7 countries are Nigeria, SudanBelarusMyanmarTanzaniaKyrgyzstan and Eritrea.

Sources told that the list will be formally announce on Monday next week, on the third anniversary of the introduction of the original ban that targeted majority-Muslim countries.

The inclusion of Tanzania came as a surprise to many. However, analysts opine that it could have been targeted targeted because of its high number of citizens who have overstayed their US Visas.

“I don’t think it has anything to do with terror,” said a political analyst who did not wish to be named.

“But I can confirm to you that Tanzania is on the list of countries with high numbers of Visitors who have overstayed  their Visas.

READ ALSO:   The GSU officer who was felled by terrorist’s bullet mourned

In 2018, The US Supreme Court, in a 5-4  ruling, upheld a version of the ban that blocked nationals from five Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States. The ban applies to people from Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia and Yemen.

The ban had been challenged a few times in lower courts.

 

Continue Reading

Africa

‘Tell my family I am sorry,’ Last text by Basalirwa before committing suicide

Published

on

Arthur Basalirwa, a Makerere University Business School (MUBS) graduate left behind a message for his family before he allegedly committed suicide.

He had recently graduated with a first-class degree and had just gotten a job.

According to a social media user, Basalirwa is son to Doris Elizabeth Nansamba a journalist working with Capital/ Beat FM.

Arthur Basalirwa

It is alleged that his long-time partner *D turned him down.

In a post to his family, Basalirwa penned his last message to them,

‘Just make sure you tell my family it’s Okay. I am sorry but it’s too late I am sorry. Too much weighing on me.

I don’t want to live and see another day. I’m sorry but I cant stay I’m sorry too much weighing on me.’

In a screenshot of texts between him and D, Basalirwa had called her out for being rude to him to an extent of asking him to block her.

‘You will always ask yourself if you had sent me a more meaningful text. These are your last words to me. Goodbye D.’

To which D responded

‘F@ck you, just block me and never text me. Delete our chats and my number. Bye’

Basalirwa chat

By Mpasho

READ ALSO:   Friends, family mourn young bubbly woman killed in Riverside terror attack
Continue Reading

Africa

How ‘Africa’s richest woman’ stole fortune: ICIJ

Published

on

An award-winning investigative team published a trove of files Sunday allegedly showing how the daughter of Angola’s former president — dubbed Africa’s richest woman — siphoned hundreds of millions of dollars of public money into offshore accounts.

The New York-based International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) worked with newspapers such as Munich’s Suddeutsche Zeitung to reveal the “Panama Papers” tax haven scandal in 2016.

Its latest series called “Luanda Leaks” zeros in on Isabel dos Santos, the former Angola president’s daughter.

Angola’s prosecutors last month froze the bank accounts and assets owned by the 46-year-old businesswoman and her Congolese husband Sindika Dokolo. Dos Santos called it a groundless political vendetta at the time.

“Based on a trove of more than 715,000 files, our investigation highlights a broken international regulatory system that allows professional services firms to serve the powerful with almost no questions asked,” the ICIJ wrote.

The group said its team of 120 reporters in 20 countries was able to trace “how an army of Western financial firms, lawyers, accountants, government officials and management companies helped (dos Santos and Dokolo) hide assets from tax authorities”.

Dos Santos’s lawyer dismissed the ICIJ findings as a “highly coordinated attack” orchestrated by Angola’s current rulers.

READ ALSO:   Friends, family mourn young bubbly woman killed in Riverside terror attack

“It is obvious that our client is the subject of a highly coordinated attack on both her reputation and business,” the lawyer said in a statement quoted by The Guardian newspaper. Dos Santos herself told BBC Africa the file dump was part of a “witch hunt” meant to discredit her and her father Jose Eduardo dos Santos.

The former president’s daughter headed Angola’s national oil company Sonangol. Forbes magazine last year estimated her net worth at $2.2 billion.

Her father’s successor Joao Lourenco forced her out of the oil company after becoming president in 2017.

Dos Santos said on Wednesday that she would consider running for president in the next election in 2022. – Western consultants – The ICIJ investigation said Western consulting firms such as PwC and Boston Consulting Group were “apparently ignoring red flags” while helping her stash away public assets.

“Regulators around the globe have virtually ignored the key role Western professionals play in maintaining an offshore industry that drives money laundering and drains trillions from public coffers,” the report said.

Its document trove included redacted letters allegedly showing how consultants sought out ways to open non-transparent bank accounts.

One confidential document allegedly drafted by Boston Consulting in September 2015 outlined a complex scheme for the oil company to move its money offshore. It published a similar 99-page presentation from KPMG.

READ ALSO:   Hero guard who died saving tens of people at Dusit attack

None of the companies named issued immediate statements in response to the investigation

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading


Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!