Connect with us

News

CJ Maraga lectures DCI Kinoti, DPP Haji in front of Uhuru

Published

on

Chief Justice David Maraga has told off members of the Executive who have blamed Judiciary for the slow pace of war on corruption.

Justice Maraga, who spoke at the anti-corruption conference at that was held at the Bomas of Kenya, sought to systematically deconstruct each of the accusations against the arm that he leads.

President Uhuru Kenyatta, his deputy William Ruto and former Prime Minister Raila Odinga were in attendance.

The chief justice targeted the directorates of public prosecution and criminal investigations.

“We are not going to win the war against corruption by Friday arrests… I do not want to appear like I am in a blame game but let the truth be told! The judiciary does not go out there to look for cases; those who feel aggrieved come to us and file cases,” said the CJ.

“The war against corruption will not be worn by blame-games and by people who are involved here (some are here) hiring professional bloggers to demonise anybody and the Judiciary.”

He particularly told DPP Noordin Haji, who was present alongside DCI George Kinoti, that he ought to rethink how he presents his cases.

“When you have 30 suspects on one charge sheet, each of the is represented by a lawyer, how long do you think the case will take?” he said.

READ ALSO:   "Soko ya fitina, uongo na chuki imefungwa" Ruto to those claiming rift in Jubilee

“Charge one or two people and make the rest the prosecution witnesses.”

He lamented that Judiciary had been starved off money, noting that they got just Sh14 billion in budget, having requested for Sh31 billion.

“The war against corruption is going to be won by use of technology; we need to invest in technology to fight corruption JSC has a Judiciary Ombudsman and we are asking for support to deal with some of the cases coming there,” he said.

DailyNation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Tweeting Chief Kariuki laid to rest in emotional sendoff

Published

on

Emotions ran high in Nakuru’s Umoja Primary School as hundreds of mourners turned up for the funeral ceremony of popular Chief Francis Kariuki of Lanet Umoja.

Kariuki, who died last Wednesday aged 55, shot to the limelight in 2011 after he joined the provincial administration from his teaching profession and utilised Twitter as a main tool for his new job.

Among the awards under his name for his use of technology in administration included a Giraffe Heroes Kenya Award 2014.

His burial was conducted at his home in Githioro, Bahati, where dozens of administrators thronged to pay their last respect to their chairman under the National Chiefs Caucus.

The funeral which was conducted under strict adherence to Covid-19 regulations was attended by Governor Lee Kinyanjui, County Commissioner Erastus Mbui and Bahati MP Kimani Ngunjiri.

Praises

Kinyanjui eulogised the administrator as an example in leadership and community policing who had a keen interest in development and service to humanity.

“Chief Kariuki is a household name in the county. He was a good leader and we used to consult on development issues including water provision to residents and security,” said Kinyanjui.

While calling on other administrators to be creative and efficient in their jobs, Kinyanjui said that there were many opportunities for them to explore in combating crime and propelling them to greater heights.

READ ALSO:   "Soko ya fitina, uongo na chuki imefungwa" Ruto to those claiming rift in Jubilee

“Through the Twitter platform, he transformed information dissemination that led to improved security in Lanet. His use of social media was inspiring and earned him recognition locally and internationally. We appreciate his contribution that made the society better,” said Kinyanjui.

It is his use of social media that earned him the title “Tweeting Chief” which later presented for him a stage to travel across the globe sensitising administrators on the security tool in their line of duty.

Mbui described the fallen administrator as a selfless person whose influence was felt beyond his location where his administrative jurisdiction was limited to.

“We have lost a dedicated, innovative and dynamic civil servant. He tirelessly worked for his people and his death has left behind a huge gap to easily fill. It is his good deeds that made for him a name beyond Nakuru and Kenya,” said Mbui.

The deceased’s wife Peris Kariuki described her late husband as a humble and servant leader who was all round in his job and as a family man.

“I have been robbed a great friend and husband who was always there for his people and his family. He was an ambitious and hardworking man. You had big dreams. I will miss you, my husband. Let your soul rest in the hands of our God,” Peris said.

READ ALSO:   History as Kenya earns Sh1.2 billion from maiden oil sale

The residents condoled with the family describing Chief Kariuki as instrumental in resolving their societal issues.

“His office was always open. He had a listening ear without discrimination. We have lost a great leader and civil servant. His humility was beyond expectations compared to his name,” said Jane Karanja, a resident.

According to the family, Chief Kariuki died at the Nakuru Level Five Hospital where he had been rushed after complaining of difficulties in breathing. He had also for a long time battled with diabetes.

The mourners in disbelief braved heavy rains at his Githioro home as he was finally laid to rest.

Chief Kariuki worked as a teacher in different schools for 21 years before he enrolled for a Bachelor’s degree course in Counselling and Psychology at Mount Kenya University.

By Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Education PS revealed number of learners, teachers who tested positive for COVID-19

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Education PS Belio Kipsang on Wednesday reported that 17 learners and 33 teachers have been infected with Covid-19 since schools re-opened.

Dr Kipsang stated that the cases had been recorded in 35 schools countrywide

He, however, clarified that the numbers are not worrying to the ministry and as such there are no plans to close the schools.

“We are not about to close schools unless advised by the Ministry of Health, but we are putting our heads together to work our modalities of reopening other classes,” the PS stated.

The PS further blamed the cases on parents, citing recent political campaigns as the breeding ground for the virus.

“Our challenge is our parents attending political rallies and other social gatherings without masks, let’s not blame our children, why tell us to achieve social distance in schools if parents are attending rallies without observing measures?” he posed.

Dr Kipsang was giving a report to the National Assembly Education Committee.

READ ALSO:   History as Kenya earns Sh1.2 billion from maiden oil sale
Continue Reading

News

Ole Sereni hotel win big in road reserve land case

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

The Kenya National Highways Authority has lost a case over a parcel of land on which the 5 Star Ole Sereni hotel was built.

According to court documents, the National Land Commission (NLC) awarded the hotel a notice to vacate the land on which a road to the Internal Container Depot in Nairobi is being built.

Justice Bernard Eboso, however, reversed NLC decision explaining that the owners of the hotel had not been granted a proper hearing.

He also observed that the commission had produced conflicting dates when the directors were offered a chance for a hearing.

In a gazette notice, the commission had claimed that it invited the directors between January 30, 2017 and February 2, 2017.

NLC’s verdict before the revocation, however, indicated that the directors had been invited on March 27, 2017.

In its defense, Ole Sereni argued that it had purchased the land in question from a company identified as Swan Carriers Limited in 2007.

“Upon acquiring the two properties, the applicant obtained relevant development approvals and established the hotel thereon.

“The development took about three years. Ole Sereni Hotel is a reputable facility in the hospitality industry,” the hotel’s representatives told the court.

In July 2017, the state revoked titles for 136 parcels of land it intended to acquire for the construction of the Southern Bypass.

READ ALSO:   Maraga speaks on romantic relationship allegations with a female judge

The bypass connects Mombasa Road and the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway.

At the time, the state explained that it had ruled the parcels as belonging to the public after listening to several parties in the matter.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending