Connect with us

News

Diaspora man and new baby girls return from Kenya after citizenship hurdle

Published

on

After a long flight from Kenya and an unexpected citizenship hurdle, a Toronto man and his newborn twin daughters are finally back home.

“I think it’s surreal,” Joseph Tito said. “I still can’t believe I’m here after all this time. I’m just so happy we’re together and we’re here and we’re home.”

Tito, who was born in Italy and inherited his Canadian citizenship through his Canadian-born mother, travelled to Kenya last month to meet Stella and Mia, his new babies born via surrogacy on Nov. 30.

When Tito arrived in Kenya he learned his Canadian citizenship would not automatically be passed down to his children since they were also born out of the country.

A law passed in 2009 stripped the ability of Canadians born outside the country and inherited their citizenship to pass it on to their children who were also not born in Canada.

Tito hired a surrogate mother in Kenya as he found the surrogacy process to be cheaper there for a single man, compared to Canada.

“It just kind of feels weird that I am Canadian, I’ve always been Canadian but my kids are not Canadian,” he said.

On Monday – more than one week after his first planned flight back to Canada – Tito said he finally received visas for his daughters.

READ ALSO:   Here is another chance for you to live and work in Canada

After landing at Toronto Pearson International Airport on Wednesday afternoon, Tito introduced Stella and Mia to his family surrounded by cameras.

Joseph Tito is seen speaking to reporters at Toronto Pearson International Airport on Jan. 9, 2018.

“I really think the media helped. The media sort of expedited things in terms of getting the visas and the embassy in Kenya was just like take the visas and get out of here, we are done with this story, we don’t want to hear about it anymore.”

Tito said the whole process “felt like a movie.”

“It didn’t feel like it was real – especially for a country like Canada,” he said. “Before I even started with this journey, I looked into it, I called the embassy, I called my clinic, I contacted lawyers, I did all my research and then I paid for everything three weeks before that and then all of a sudden it was ‘OK you can’t go’ I was just floored.”

“I couldn’t believe it.”

The sponsorships for the young girls have already been completed, Tito said, and he plans to apply for their citizenships as soon as possible.

“I will throw them a big party when they are Canadians,” Tito said.

CP24.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Matiang’i: Stop whining, the world won’t end for not drinking this weekend

Published

on

Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i has told off Kenyans for finding fault with his order for the closure of bars and entertainment joints over the weekend to allow for the national census exercise to take place.

Speaking on Thursday morning while addressing the media Dr Matiang’i said that he has heard the plight of Kenyans, but unfortunately he cannot revise the decision that has already been made.

He argued that the exercise only happens once after every 10 years and that Kenyans should be able to ‘sacrifice’ at least two days to allow for the smooth execution of the process.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience caused for the closure of social places. Please bear with us, we cannot revise the decision. But please bear in mind that it is only this once in 10 years, we are not being insensitive,” Matiang’i said.

KENYANS’ REACTION

“The directive to shutdown bars is not a motive to ban drinking, we cannot ban drinking. I am surprised at the reaction from Kenyans. You will think the world is coming to an end this weekend,” he further explained.

The CS gave the order on Tuesday saying that all entertainment spots, including bars, shall be closed from 5pm on Saturday, August 24 until 6pm on Sunday, August 25.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Miguna Miguna dismisses critics calling him a beggar, launches new YouTube channel

The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) is set to conduct the exercise with 138,572 enumerators, accompanied by security personnel, will be knocking on people’s doors at night.

By nairobinews

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Overnight ‘Mugithi’ planned ahead of De’Mathew’s burial on Saturday

Published

on

In efforts to remember and honour fallen Kikuyu Benga musician John Mwangi Ng’ang’a, popularly known as John De’Mathew, Murang’a Governor Mwangi Wa Iria has sponsored a music show (mugithi night) on Friday before the singer’s burial on Saturday.

The event, according to the county boss, will give DeMathew’s fans a chance to remember him by playing all his music.

In efforts to remember and honour fallen Kikuyu Benga musician John Mwangi Ng’ang’a, popularly known as John De’Mathew, Murang’a Governor Mwangi Wa Iria has sponsored a music show (mugithi night) on Friday before the singer’s burial on Saturday.

The event, according to the county boss, will give DeMathew’s fans a chance to remember him by playing all his music.

In his career spanning over 30 years, De’Mathew had produced over 50 albums.

He died on August 18, 2019 after his car hit a trailer-truck near Thika’s Blue Post Hotel.

WHOLE NIGHT

Artistes drawn from Mt Kenya region will also attend the Friday event which will be held at Golden Palm Hotel in Kenol town and which will go on for the whole night.

Fans of the late musician have also formed a WhatsApp group where they are pledging goats which will be slaughtered during the event.

READ ALSO:   Here is another chance for you to live and work in Canada

According to Governor Wa Iria, the event will remind the Agikuyu people of the life and times of the late De’Mathew whom local leaders regarded as a seer or a Kikuyu prophet.

“We want to remember him by listening to all his songs which play a major role in uniting the Agikuyu community as well as advising and entertaining our people,” the governor said.

BONA FIDE LEADER

According to the governor, the De’Mathew was the bona fide leader of the artistes from central Kenya after the death of Joseph Kamaru last year.

“The late was not your ordinary musician. He took the mantle from the late Joseph Kamaru and as a matter of fact, it is only after Kamaru’s death that a sacco was formed and De’Mathew was appointed to be its chairperson,” the governor said.

Mr Wa Iria was named the patron of the musicians’ sacco known as Tamco Sacco and was instrumental in its formation and operations.

The governor has lauded De’Mathew’s leadership saying seven months after the sacco was formed, they have been able to buy land in Kenol town at a cost Sh8 million. He said he will continue working closely with the artistes to ensure they realise their dream.

The sacco was launched in January this year at Thika Greens in Murang’a where President Uhuru Kenyatta, the governor and other leaders sent their contributions.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Miguna Miguna dismisses critics calling him a beggar, launches new YouTube channel

MUSICIANS’ SACCO

During the launch of the Sacco, Mr Wa Iria advised the artistes to put more emphasis on investments than offering credit services to their clients to prevent the society from collapsing of as has been witnessed with other similar ventures in the recent times.

During the sacco’s launch, the late De’Mathew said they intended build a recording studio, commercial shops and conference rooms where members will be benefitting from the proceeds on monthly basis.

“We have been mocked and laughed at but we are determined in joining hands and growing together so that never again shall we be seeking fundraisers for the hospital bills and burials of musicians,” he said.

DeMathew will be buried on Saturday at his ancestral home in Mukurwe, Gatanga in a ceremony where the President Uhuru Kenyatta and other leaders are expected.

BY nairobinews

Continue Reading

Entertainment

VIDEO: Tanzanian woman wants to be President Uhuru’s wife but Kenyans online are not amused

Published

on

It appears Tanzanian singer Rehema Chalamila popularly known as Ray C infatuation with President Uhuru Kenyatta is not going anywhere anytime soon, if a picture she has shared on social media is anything to go by.

In the photo, the sassy songbird is captured wearing a revealing bodysuit with fishnet stocking while posing near a pool.

“Future Mrs Uhuru!jah love!,” the photo is captioned.

Predictably, the post has attracted great interest from the online community.

“Jamani huyu ashindwe kwa jina la Yesu, Juzi ukitembelewa na malaika akakutia ufahamu, Leo,” said reymsemo.

“Hivii ni wewe juzi ulieongea maneno ya kiroho hapaa mpka nikajua Umeokoka!!!?” asked wilkins_ms.

“Not our president… we love our first lady,” commented roselynatema.

“Ray C all reckless. She’s ready to risk it all,” said ayuma.

“Uhuru wetu wa Kenya ama mgani?” asked stacy 254.

“Haki ringtone apoko anatusumbua atahitaji jiko. Si umchukue tu,” suggested angel_johnson.

Ray C publicly declared her “undying love” for President Kenyatta last year while on a music tour in the country.

She claimed that Mr Kenyatta was the ideal husband for her and this has added to her love for Kenya.

 

by nairobinews

READ ALSO:   Here is another chance for you to live and work in Canada
Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!