Connect with us

News

Dusit manager who died helping save lives

Published

on

Bernadette Konjalo’s 10-year career in the hotel industry was tragically ended by terrorists during the  attack at 14 Riverside Drive that left 21 people dead.

Ms Konjalo, the revenue manager at DusitD2 Hotel, died while helping colleagues and guests to safety after the first gunshots rent the air.

Her cousin Camillus narrated how on hearing the news of the attack from the media, alongside her sister they tried calling her but her mobile phones were switched off.

They proceeded to the scene but could not get any information on whether she was among those who escaped or those trapped inside the hotel.

“We stayed there just waiting until 2am when some of her friends who had followed two ambulances to Chiromo Mortuary came back and asked us to accompany them as they had seen what looked like her body.

“We went to the mortuary and since some of her friends were still there, they showed us the body they thought was hers but we were in denial until we saw a birth mark,” he said.

Colleagues recounted how after the first blast, Ms Konjalo tried to inquire what was going on. They then heard gunshots and she sprang into action, directing people to exit the hotel for safety.

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack

The attackers advanced towards the hotel’s entrance where she was standing guiding people and she quickly retreated inside with a group of colleagues.

But the attackers saw them and opened fire at them.

Ms Konjalo had previously worked at Tribe Hotel for six years before moving to DusitD2 Hotel in March 2014 where she started as an assistant front office manager and rose to become a director of revenue.

The last born in a family of four who was fondly referred to as Titi, she was outgoing and was paying school fees for some members of her extended family as well as supporting her nuclear family financially.

Her friends who had nicknamed her as B eulogised her, writing tributes that further demonstrated her character.

A friend Georges Nato wrote on social media; “Bernadette Konjalo you are one tough mama! As others ran for safety you encouraged them and showed them the way from behind like a True leader!!! I shed tears for you as my hero my dear friend, your bravery is greatly admired!!! You sacrificed your life for others, your story will be told for generations to come, you will not be forgotten!”

Mercy Shiks said: “The cruel Dusit hotel attack took…her…so sad…my former classmate & bed mate!! Rip Bernadette Konjalo.”

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack

Wakesho Mwashigadi commented: “Spoke to you on Monday morning little did I know that I was saying goodbye to you mrembo. Been calling you Jana in vain. Shine on your way beautiful.”

Livie Manjeri wrote: “Rest in peace Queen B. Heaven just gained an angel.”

Nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

PHOTOS: Unmasked: Faces behind Barclays fake cash

Published

on

The man at the centre of Sh2 billion fake money syndicate that was smashed at Barclays Bank in Nairobi once jostled for the control of Gor Mahia FC.

Mr Eric Adede, a Nairobi-based businessman-cum-politician, is among six suspects arrested on Tuesday by the Flying Squad officers at Barclays Bank’s Queensway branch.

The fake notes in 100-US-dollar denominations were found hidden in one of the bank’s safe boxes.

Mr Adede unsuccessfully vied for Gor Mahia chairmanship in 2014.

He lost the election after garnering 445 votes behind the current club’s chairman Ambrose Rachier, who got 808 votes.

The man who claimed to own the fake-dollar-haul also tried his luck in the race for Homa Bay Town parliamentary seat in the last general election but lost to Mr Peter Kaluma.

Mr Adede has been attempting to capture sports and political offices in vain. PHOTO | COURTESY | TWITTER

According to the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti, Adede is believed to be the owner of the safe deposit box in which the fake currency was stashed.

However, other police sources told the Nation that Mr Adede could have been acting on behalf of some powerful individuals in government.

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack

Other suspects arrested in the swoop by Flying Squad and detectives from DCI are Mr Ahmed Shah, Mr Boaz Ochich, Mr Charles Manzi both said to be bank’s officials, and Ms Elizabeth Muthoni and Ms Irene Wairimu Kimani.

The DCI describes Mr Shah as a “fake investor” whom Mr Adede was using to dupe businesspeople into parting with their hard-earned money.

The DCI describes Mr Shah as a ‘fake investor’ whom Mr Adede was using to dupe businesspeople into parting with their hard-earned money. PHOTO | COURTESY | TWITTER

Mr Ochich and Mr Manzi are said to be Barclays Bank officials.

Little is known about the two female suspects, Ms Muthoni and Ms Kariuki.

In a statement, the bank on Tuesday said Mr Adede had concealed fake currency in his personal safe deposit box against bank rules, including restrictions of items that can be held in the box.

“According to the police, the individual in question had concealed the counterfeit banknotes in his personal safe deposit box. This is also against the bank’s rules and regulations,” the bank said.

“The contents of personal safe deposit boxes are not part of the bank’s deposits and are only known to the client; however, these may not include items prohibited in terms of the law.”

Ms Elizabeth Muthoni. Little is known about her. PHOTO | COURTESY | TWITTER

The bank said it would cooperate with police to ensure the suspect is brought to justice.

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack

“Barclays Bank of Kenya has already notified its primary regulator, the Central Bank of Kenya, and assured it that it will continue to provide active assistance to the police until the investigation has been completed.”

Safe deposit boxes are offered to clients for the storage of vital documents such as title deeds, logbooks, marriage certificates, insurance policies, jewellery, foreign currency, educational certificates among others.

Ms Irene Wairimu Kimani. Little is known about her. PHOTO | COURTESY | TWITTER

Detectives say Mr Adede had been spotted a number of times displaying the contents of the box to strangers.

Police sources said the owners were using the money to con people.

The latest bust adds to growing list of fake cash hauls that have been discovered in the capital and neighbouring towns.

The fake-dollar haul that was found at Barclay Bank’s Quuensway branch on March 19, 2019. PHOTO | COURTESY | TWITTER

Last month, police from the Special Crimes Prevention Unit, nabbed fake foreign cash amounting to Sh32 billion in a residential house in Ruiru town.

The large sums of fake foreign currency seized by the police in recent months have raised concerns on whether Nairobi could be turning into a base for transnational fake cash cartels.

source:nation.co.ke

 

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack

Continue Reading

Africa

Zambia High Commissioner dies while receiving treatment in Nairobi

Published

on

Zambia High Commissioner to Kenya, Her Excellency Brenda Muntemba-Sichilembe has died.

The 49-year old High Commissioner has been receiving treatment since she was involved in a fatal road accident at Machakos on February 26.

Foreign PS Macharia Kamau has confirmed the death.

Ms Muntemba-Sichilembe was initially admitted at the Machakos Level 5 Hospital, and then flown to Nairobi and operated on to stem internal bleeding where she was admitted in Intensive care unit (ICU).

Prior to her appointment to this role, she served as Chief Program Officer at UNESCO in Zambia.

More to follow…

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack
Continue Reading

Entertainment

VIDEO: Police arrest flashy city businessman for flashing gun at Kileleshwa guard

Published

on

Police have arrested a suspect caught on tape brandishing a pistol at a security guard in Kileleshwa during a row over a parking spot.

The suspect, initially thought to be a foreigner, has since been identified as flashy Nairobi businessman Kevin Obia alias Kevin Kleigh, alias The Don.

Mr Obia was part of a group of visitors at an apartment block in Kileleshwa on Saturday when the confrontation occurred.

Police said they were are finalising investigations and will charge him in court.

PHOTO | COURTESY

 

Mr Obia’s gun has been confiscated and police are trying to establish whether the firearm certificate he presented is genuine.

He has been released on police bond. Police say he will be charged by Thursday after they conclude their investigations.

Obia is well known in Nairobi’s high-end entertainment circles and is often described as a “flamboyant businessman” in media reports.

He is already facing charges of pretending that he could sell 7kg of gold to Mr Christian Gallati, an Austrian national for which he obtained the Sh13.7 million during a meeting at a hotel in Nairobi city centre.

Source:Nairobi News

READ ALSO:   Cellulant mourns six colleagues killed in Dusit attack
Continue Reading
poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!