Connect with us

Africa

How rogue tour guides mint money diverting tourists to private ranches

Published

on

Foreign tourists visiting Kenya have revealed harrowing details of how they are defrauded by rogue tour guides who devalue their experiences by diverting them to private ranches instead of national parks.

The rogue guides apparently work in cahoots with private ranch owners to deceive tourists on various destinations.

Mr Joshua Gibbons, a tourist from United Kingdom, who spoke to Nairobii News, narrated how his intended visit to Tsavo East park from Mombasa with his Kenyan partner ended up in a private ranch.

PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE

Mr Gibbons offered photographic evidence to back his claim.

“We believed we paid 26k for a trip to Tsavo East and after a shorter journey than expected of 3 hours from Mombasa we were apparently there. I checked on the map on my phone and it didn’t seem like we were really in the national park,” Mr Gibbons told Nairobi News.

While they were there, they were shocked to realise that all the tourists at the scene believed they were in Tsavo East.

“Everyone there had made them believe that they were in Tsavo East, we were really shocked,” Mr Gibbons said.

“Even a couple that booked through (a major UK booking company) had also been conned.”

On confronting their tour guide, one Mr Moses Ajuma, he was told that the ranch is still part of the Tsavo.

“My partner then phoned her uncle to help them check out and establish where they were and it emerged that we were in a private ranch,” said Mr Gibbons.

Mr Gibbons with his Kenyan partner during their ordeal at the private ranch. PHOTO | COURTESY

ESCALATE THE MATTER

The tourists immediately contacted Kenya Wildlife Services officers who intervened, but on condition that the tourists agree not to escalate the matter.

The KWS captain solved that Mr Gibbons and his Kenyan partner be given back part of their money.

“Out of the Sh 26,000 we had paid, they only gave us Sh 7,000. They then said that the guide will take Sh 5,000 and another Sh 5,500 was for the fuel we used,” he said.

When Nairobi News contacted the tour guide company identified as Spot Kenya Safaris, the manager identified as Emmanuel said that he was equally shocked when the matter was raised to him.

“The guide did not even inform me that he was having any visitors with him and I was not aware of it,” he said.

On his part, Mr Ajuma said that he ensured that they sorted out the problem with the tourists and that  both parties were satisfied.

Nairobinews

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

FBI agents arrest three Kenyans in US over links to Isis

Published

on

Three Kenyans were on Tuesday arrested in the United States for their links to terror group Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS).

The three were nabbed by Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) agents. They were identified as Mohamed Salat Haji, Mohamud Abdikadir Muse and Muse Abdikadir Muse.

The three were arrested in Lansing, Michigan. They are said to have pledged allegiance to the Islamic state.

Mr Muse Abdikadir Muse was nabbed while on transit to Somalia.

“He was checking in for a flight on his way to Mogadishu, Somalia when he was arrested,” a statement by the FBI released on Tuesday stated.

Mr Muse Abdikadir Muse had earlier this month purchased air tickets to travel from the Gerald R. Ford Airport in Michigan.

CO-CONSPIRATORS

The US Department of Justice said his other two friends, described as co-conspirators, had assisted him in getting the ticket.

“They aided in the purchase of the ticket and drove Muse Abdikadir Muse to the Grand Rapids airport, each knowing the true purpose of the travel was for Muse Muse to join and fight for ISIS,” read the statement.

According to the FBI, the three recorded videos pledging allegiance to the group where they narrated their desire “to kill non-believers, and even to potentially use a car for a martyrdom operation to run down non-believers in the USA.”

Despite their arrest, the American Government is yet to find them guilty of the charges.

Their arrest comes exactly a week after terrorists led by a Kenyan identified as Salim Gichunge attacked dusitD2 hotel and killed 21 people.\

NairobiNews

Continue Reading

Africa

‘Please help me return home,’ Kenyan legend runner living in the US pleads

Published

on

BY OLIVIA MUNGWANA

Kenyan distance running legend Henry Rono a broken man. He has been living in the United States of America for the last 32 years, in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Rono who is now 66, on Tuesday reached out to Nation Sport and sent a passionate appeal:

“I wants a ticket back home, please.”

“Yes, I would like the government to help me get back home by getting me a ticket… I can’t afford living in the USA. I’m getting old… Also, being away from home for over 32 years is too long,” added the legend.

The legend is currently a security guard at the Albuquerque airport.

“Yes, I did retire, but these other jobs are stressful and I’m too old,” he said. “Like now, I’m sick from working hard. Many of my fellow Kenyans are dying from stressful hard working jobs,” said Rono, who was given a lifetime achievement award by the International Association of Athletics Federations in 2008.

“I have been given another award in Belgrade but I’m able to attend because of stressful work. Like now, I’m in the bed and I’m unwell.”

But Rono’s daughter Maureen confirmed she had spoken to the legend, and that he has been unwell since last week. “He has been coughing for the last week, and I’ve been in touch with him. If he asked you to send out an appeal for help, you can go ahead and publish,” she said.

Athletics Kenya President Jack Tuwei, meanwhile, said his association would be ready to help the legend.

“He did a lot for this country and we can’t fail to get help for him,” said Tuwei. “We need information such as costs of tickets, who he could be travelling with and other details, and then see how we can support.”

The Washington State University star alumnus had taken up coaching after his running career, this after alcoholism dented the highlight years of his spell that saw him shatter world records in the 3,000 metres (seven minutes, 32.1 seconds), 5,000 metres (13:08.4), 3,000 metres steeplechase (8:05.04) and 10,000 metres (27:22.47), all within 81 days across USA (California and Seattle) and Europe (Vienna and Oslo).

Source: nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Africa

Uganda deports Rwandan, French nationals

Published

on

Ugandan authorities have deported a Rwandan and a French national accusing them of undermining state security.

The two, identified as Annie Bilenge Tabura and Olivier Prentout, are employees of leading telecom provider MTN Uganda.

Ms Tabura is the general manager sales and distribution, while Mr Prentout is the chief marketing officer.

In a statement Tuesday, deputy police spokeswoman Polly Namaye said that security agencies in collaboration with immigration officers had been investigating the two foreigners “over their engagements in acts which compromise national security.”

“We strongly believe that the deportation of the two foreigners, who were using their employment as tools to achieve their ill motives, has enabled us to disrupt their intended plans of compromising our national security,” she added.

Rwanda has termed the deportation of Ms Tabura a “witch-hunt and harassment” of Rwandans in Uganda as tensions between the two countries continue to escalate.

“You should ask them [Ugandan authorities] why they keep doing this, not us,” Mr Olivier Nduhungirehe, Rwanda’s State Minister in charge of East African Community Affairs said, responding to the The EastAfrican.

“It is not the first time they have done this. This is a case of harassment of our nationals in Uganda.”

Rwanda accuses Kampala of  “arbitrary arrest and torture of Rwandans in Uganda” and for hosting rebels seeking to destabilise it. Uganda claims that Kigali is deploying spies in the country.

Mr Nduhungirehe said Kigali will “seek explanations” from Kampala, adding that there are also some Rwandans who were arrested in Uganda and “we don’t know where they were taken.”

“The Rwandan High Commission in Uganda always writes to seek clarification whenever such arrests are made but we never get responses. They never share evidence or give reasons why individuals are arrested. They kidnap, torture and then throw them out without a word,” Mr Nduhungirehe said.

MTN said in a statement Tuesday that Ms Tabura was arrested by unidentified security officers at their office in Kampala on Monday morning, while Mr Prentout had been arrested by police at Entebbe airport on Sunday, soon after he returned from a business trip.

The telco said the two “have been deported from Uganda to their home countries.”

“MTN Uganda, together with all its employees, remains fully committed to operating within and respecting the laws of the country,” the firm added.

The unit of MTN South Africa has had a run in with the authorities previously. In July last year, its data centre was raided by agents said to be from Uganda’s domestic intelligence unit.

The firm said attempts to log into their servers were unsuccessful and that it reported to the police a case of illegal intrusion into the data centre and disconnection of four servers, but denied reports that it was being investigated over breach of national security and tax evasion.

MTN’s 20-year licence expired on October 20, 2018 but it was granted an interim licences, the second one which expired on January 20. The Cabinet had demanded a review of the telco’s operations after it was accused of underdeclaring its call volume and therefore not paying its fair share to the taxman, a charge it denied.

Uganda maintains that arrests target individuals suspected of espionage.

While diplomatic ties between the two countries have remained strained, there are fears that the frostiness could affect cross-border trade.

Rwanda has since warned its citizens to “exercise caution while travelling to Uganda”.

“This is a delicate situation that we need to deal with. We are in a Common Market and for now we are trying to talk to Uganda about these incidents,” Mr Nduhungirehe said.

Mayors of Rwandan border districts — Burera, Nyagatare and Gicumbi — told The EastAfrican that while the residents are aware of the tension, they are undeterred in their cross-border trade.

“Trade is normal, if not even better. We have not received reports of any harassment of Rwandan traders across the border,” Felix Ndayambaje, the Mayor of Gicumbi District told The EastAfrican.

“We, however, advise them to always avoid using porous borders, because if they use them and are arrested on the other side, we face limitations on helping them. We know of the tensions and that is why we warn the cross-border traders to be vigilant.”

The Rwanda Private Sector Federation (PSF) warns that if the two governments fail to deescalate the tension, it would change the business environment.

“I would want to see a better conducive environment between the two countries,” Robert Bapfakurera, the chairman of PSF said.

“Trade is still strong but anything which does not create a good environment affects business,” he said, adding that business can only thrive if “the environment is without fear or any insecurity.”

The EastAfrican

Continue Reading

Trending