Connect with us

News

US forces strike in Somalia, kill 52 Shabaabs

Published

on

The United States‘ military has said that an airstrike in southern Somalia killed at least 52 al-Shabab fighters, in response to an attack earlier in the day that left at least eight Somali soldiers dead.

A US Africa Command statement on Saturday said the strike occurred near Jilib in Middle Juba region.

Jubaland regional security minister Abdirashid Hassan Abdinur told state-run Radio Mogadishu that the fatalities from the al-Shabab side could be as high as 73.

There was no immediate comment from al-Shabab on the death toll.

Daughters of al-Shabab

Earlier on Saturday, at least eight Somali soldiers were killed when al-Shabab fighters overran a military camp on the outskirts of the town of Kismayo.

According to reports, the heavily-armed fighters launched a dawn raid on the military camp, followed by a heavy exchange of gunfire which lasted hours.

Al-Shabab claimed it killed 15 Somali soldiers.

The incident came a day after al-Shabab said it had attacked Ethiopian troops in Somalia in an ambush on the road between the capital, Mogadishu, and the southwest town of Baidoa.

Since 2017, the US military has stepped up air raids against the armed group.

Al-Shabab controls large parts of rural southern and central Somalia and continues to carry out high-profile attacks in Mogadishu and elsewhere.

READ ALSO:   Kenya asks UN to finance Somalia war against Shabaab

Al-Shabab forces have been fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu.

On Tuesday, it also carried out a deadly attack in neighbouring Kenya, which it has regularly targeted since Nairobi sent troops into Somalia.

Four gunmen and a suicide bomber left 21 dead and injured 28 in Nairobi.

-Aljazeera

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Maribe: I’m very much single, Omondi, Jowie and Itumbi are just ‘friends’

Published

on

Former TV presenter, Jacque Maribe, is still single, just so you know.

Maribe has made her stand clear following days of speculation on social media after she recently confirmed that popular comedian Eric Omondi is the father of her 4-four-year old son Zahari.

The former Citizen TV news anchor set the internet on fire with the post on Instagram which captured the couple together with their son on his graduation day.

“Family first. Happy graduation day Zahari. We, mum and dad @ericomondi are proud of you!!,” she captioned the photo.

Eric also posted the same photo on his Instagram page with the simple caption “Family.”

The couple’s posts left many of their fans wondering who between murder suspect Jowie (currently in remand), blogger Dennis Itumbi or Omondi the TV journalist is going out with.

Commenting on the photo, one particular bewildered fan Danny Dunhillison challenged Maribe to make her stand clear on who between the three men she is dating.

FRIENDS

“… Mara sijui Jowie, mara Itumbi, sahii ni joker anaitwa Eric. I mean where does she lie? Tangaza standing madam!” Danny posted.

In response, Maribe wrote: “@Dannydunhillison nilitangaza hukuona. Niko single AF. Those are my friends.”

Maribe and Omondi dated back in 2014 in a short-lived relationship.

READ ALSO:   Kenya asks UN to finance Somalia war against Shabaab

She would later flaunt her baby bump but remained coy on the father of her child.

Years later, she started seeing Jowie but she has seemingly dumped following his incarceration after being charged in the murder of businesswoman Monica Kimani.

Maribe, who also spent some time behind bars over the same case, has lately been ‘tight’ with Itumbi, who has even been attending some of the court proceedings.

by Nairobinews

Continue Reading

News

I will wrest Senate seat from ‘inept’ Murkomen, Kimaiyo says

Published

on

Former Inspector-General of Police David Kimaiyo has promised to dislodge Senate Majority Leader Kipchumba Murkomen from the Elgeyo-Marakwet seat in the next elections.

Dr Kimaiyo said that the senator has failed to articulate issues affecting residents and only focuses on Tangatanga politics.

In an exclusive interview with the Nation, Dr Kimaiyo said he lost unfairly to Mr Murkomen in 2017 but that he has learnt his lesson and will ensure his votes are better protected in the next polls.

The former police IG, who is focusing on his real estate business and farming after his term as chairman of the Kenyatta National Hospital Board ended three months ago, said he has not given up on his ambition to represent Elgeyo-Marakwet residents in the Senate.

“God willing, I will vie again for the Senate seat in 2022. I am still ready to serve my people. I know their challenges and will be more than ready to provide solutions. This time round I will take it, just know that,” a confident Dr Kimaiyo said.

Before the KNH post, which he served for only one year, he had been the chairman of the Kenya Airports Authority, from where he was allegedly kicked out after discord in the agency.

READ ALSO:   Kenya asks UN to finance Somalia war against Shabaab

In 2017, Dr Kimaiyo received 22,000 votes against Mr Murkomen’s 117,000.

Promising to wrest the seat from Mr Murkomen, who is a close ally of Deputy President William Ruto, Dr Kimaiyo said the senator has engaged in petty politics instead of using his position to fight for more resources for the county.

“Murkomen is almost the age of my son. I think he is just 10 years older than my firstborn. He is among the youngest leaders we have. He started well,” Dr Kimaiyo said.

“During his first term he focused on issues affecting residents. But he has deviated from the role the people of Elgeyo-Marakwet gave him.”

He said that if given the opportunity, he will focus on eradicating endemic poverty and youth unemployment in the county.

“When you get such a privilege to serve the people you should leave petty politics to other people. Your county must be the priority, other things should come after that,” he said.

Dr Kimaiyo said anyone occupying an elective post should first serve those who have elected him or her.

He said if elected, he will focus on finding a long-term solution to insecurity in the Kerio Valley, especially on the volatile Pokot-Marakwet border, which he said was peaceful during his two-year tenure as police IG between 2012 and 2014.

READ ALSO:   Brave Taximan drives terror suspect straight to a police station

Dr Kimaiyo said he will still vie on a Kanu party ticket as he did in the last elections, insisting that it is the only party that can give him a fair chance at the ballot.

He said he has become a life member of the independence party.

He said he is interested in the Senate seat and does not want to be a governor. Incumbent Governor Alex Tolgos will be completing his two terms in 2022.

“I do not want to be confined within the county. A national figure like me ought not to be operating within the county. As senator, I will do much more than as governor. When you are operating at the national level you can easily influence the distribution of more resources to the county. I want to be in the Senate,” he said.

On Monday, Senator Murkomen dismissed Dr Kimaiyo’s accusations, saying he the former police boss does not deserve his attention.

He said nobody knows his 2022 plans.

“How does he (Kimaiyo) know my plans for 2022? I have no time for such type of politics and he doesn’t deserve my attention,” Mr Murkomen said.

Mr Kimaiyo also delved into his 2014 resignation as the police IG in the wake of several Al-Shabaab attacks in the country, saying he had done the best for the country but decided to leave voluntarily to allow someone else to take over.

READ ALSO:   Kenya asks UN to finance Somalia war against Shabaab

He was replaced by Mr Joseph Boinnet, who was later replaced by Mr Hillary Mutyambai.

“Contrary to claims that I was pushed out, I decided to leave on my own volition. I could have chosen to stay and wait for the President to appoint a tribunal to investigate me as the law required then, but I did not,” he said.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Man kills friend in row over termites

Published

on

A sombre mood has engulfed Kamatungu estate on the suburbs of Marimanti town in Tharaka-Nithi County after a man allegedly stabbed and killed his friend following a scuffle over a meal of termites.

Mr Daniel Mutiria Cece, 36, who worked at a welding shop in Marimanti town, was allegedly stabbed four times in the stomach and chest by his friend, Muriungi Kiyogere, 35, Sunday night at around 11pm.

Confirming the incident, Tharaka South Police Commander Kiprop Rutto said after the stabbing, the suspect escaped from irate residents who were baying for his blood and ran to Marimanti Police Station.

“The suspect escaped the wrath of the villagers and surrendered at the station where he confessed to stabbing the deceased,” said Mr Rutto.

The suspect was immediately locked up and police officers rushed to the scene where they found Mt Cece’s lifeless body lying in a pool of blood and took it to the Chuka County Referral Hospital mortuary.

Mr Rutto said that according to initial investigations, a disagreement ensued after the victim found the suspect picking termites outside his house and demanded that he surrenders them, claiming that they belonged to him.

He said after a fist fight, the suspect ran to his house and returned with a knife with which he stabbed the victim four times.

READ ALSO:   Brave Taximan drives terror suspect straight to a police station

The man died on the spot.

“We are looking forward at arraigning the suspect in Marimanti tomorrow on murder charge,” he said.

According to eye witnesses, the two were long-time friends and had spent the Mashujaa Day drinking liquor together.

“We are shocked by this incident because we have never witnessed such animosity in this area before,” said Mr Jane Muthoni, a resident.

She said many residents peacefully pick termites for a meal during rainy seasons and they have never witnessed any such disagreement because the insects are wild and they do not belong to anybody.

Njuri Ncheke elder Jacob M’Chabari said it is taboo among the Ameru people for circumcised men to eat termites, adding that and was a big shame for a man to kill another because of the insects.

He said only children and women are allowed to eat the termites.

A glass of termites is sold for Sh100 in local supermarkets or on the streets.

They are a sweet delicacy especially when served with ugali.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!