Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Student denied place at Starehe Boys, school claims parent was rude

Published

on

 

Two parents from Isiolo County are on the verge of desperation as their son who scored an impressive 417 marks in last year’s national examinations is on the brink of missing his dream of joining Starehe Boys Center, the school of his choice.

Although they have the placement letter from the Ministry of Education, a receipt of Ksh.70,000 for fee payment made to the school’s account and a tag used to gain entrance to Starehe, efforts to secure admission for their son remain futile.

For 10 days, David Babu, his wife Christine Ngare and their son have been forced to sleep in a hotel room in Nairobi, having travelled from their home in Isiolo.

Their main worry is why Starehe is unwilling to accept their son who was selected through the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) .

“We were chased out like we were conmen, I am embarrassed and so disappointed,” said Mr. Babu.

Although the student was also admitted through the government’s NEMIS system, the school insists he will not be allowed to study at the institution with the administration accusing his father of behaving inappropriately and failing to meet admission procedures.

 

According to the school’s head of operations John Okeno, the institution established six decades ago follows its own strict procedure in admissions.

READ ALSO:   Fire destroys building at Starehe Boys

“I am not going to tell you the outcome … our only consideration is the child,” he said.

Speaking to Citizen TV on Thursday evening, Acting Centre Director Josphat Mwaura said the child had not been selected to join the school, but was merely one of 24 students that had been recommended for consideration by the ministry.

He said the school admitted 23 and left out Babu’s child after the parents failed to fill requisite forms.

He said all students joining the school must fill out the forms by July of the previous year.

Mwaura insisted that the child’s parents are not needy, but since the student has not been selected to join any other school, questions abound as to why the ministry would simply give a non-binding recommendation to join a particular school.

Nairobi Regional Coordinator in charge of education John Olootual says the ministry has taken up the matter.

“It could have been a miscommunication between the parents and the school,” said Olootual.

The family remain tense albeit hopeful that their son will secure his admission and proceed to achieve his dream of becoming an engineer.

CITIZEN TV

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

VIDEO: Chopper crash, Tunai pilot speaks out

Published

on

The pilot of the helicopter that crash-landed in Narok County with Governor Samuel ole Tunai aboard has blamed the accident on bad weather and high altitude.

Governor Tunai, Narok East MP Lemanken Aramat and their aides cheated death on Saturday when their chopper, hired from the Mara Elephant Project, had an accident in Olkipejus village at about 4.30pm.

“There was no mechanical problem. Nobody was injured as all of us came out well. Things just happened in a blink of an eye and that is it,” said the pilot, Marc Goss, yesterday. “I have finished writing the full report on the crash and a team of investigators has instructed me not to talk to the media,” he added.

Type-Robinson 44

The chopper, Type-Robinson 44, was to drop the governor in Narok town but failed to take off in five attempts. Mr Tunai was admitted to Aga Khan Hospital in Nairobi although an official from the county government said he was out of danger. The governor was leaving the burial of Mzee Tompo ole Sasai in Melili.

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority has launched a probe into the accident. “The aircraft investigation department of the ministry of Transport Infrastructure, Housing, Urban Development and Public works has already initiated the investigation and will inform the public once the investigations are concluded,” said KCA Director-General, Captain Gilbert Kabage.

READ ALSO:   Rejected Starehe boy, welcomed in Mang'u

Video footage showing the final moments to the crash depict a clear sky and normal wind currents blowing through the vast wheat fields. The wreckage of the chopper Registration Number 5Y-MEP lay on the field near Olkipejus village, with its tail section cut off from the main body.

The chopper is a regular in the Mara region whenever elephants invade human settlements. Mr Goss is the MEP chief executive, which is involved in driving elephants away from human settlements, real time response to incidents of poaching and wildlife injuries in the Mara and surrounding conservancies.

Human settlements

They have been using the chopper since 2015 and have expanded its operation area for rapid response to poaching, injured wildlife and conflict areas in the 4,000-square-kilometre region.

 “It supports our monitoring efforts by marking the collaring of risk elephants to be safer for both the animals and support team. It also helps us collect important data, like herd size and health,” said Mr Goss.

Despite having plans of procuring another chopper, the accident is a big blow to the project with elephants facing eminent danger from poachers, he added.

“Although MEP has rangers on ground, the helicopter provides them with aerial support in difficult human-elephant conflict situations. We are able to locate the animals faster and provide a much-needed distraction from the elephant while our rangers on the ground guide them to safety,” Mr Goss said.

READ ALSO:   Fire destroys building at Starehe Boys

BY Nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Mystery murders, abductions baffle families, police

Published

on

When Thomas Ochieng, who runs an eatery in Kisumu left work to meet a caller about two weeks ago, he was optimistic that he would strike a business deal.

The 41-year-old father of five, commonly known as ‘Chuks’, confided in his friends that the caller wanted him to provide catering services for his 40 guests for three days.

Mr Ochieng hired a boda boda rider, to take him to a hotel in Milimani where he was to meet the guests.

He asked the motorcyclist a friend, to accompany him to the hotel, where they met three people.

Later, they went to a night club in the Central Business District and parted ways after agreeing to seal the deal the following morning.

On Wednesday at 8am, Ochieng left his house to meet the clients.

Recovered from the lake

His family and workers were looking forward to seeing him later in the day.

Little did they know that Ochieng would join the statistics of people who have mysteriously gone missing only to be found brutally murdered days later.

The mysterious disappearance of people in the region has baffled security agencies as no suspects have been arrested. Several people have gone missing, including a teacher and his driver who are yet to be found.

READ ALSO:   Fire destroys building at Starehe Boys

About three days after Ochieng’s disappearance, the body was found lying at the Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital mortuary with deep cuts and some body parts missing.

The body was taken to the mortuary by Kenya Coast Guard Service officers after they recovered it from Lake Victoria.

The family has started burial plans for the businessman even as they plead for justice.

The deceased’s cousin, David Guya, said they now live in fear as they do not know the motive of the killing of the man who led a peaceful life in Dunga.

“We do not know why our brother was killed. We are only hoping that his killers will be brought to book,” said Mr Guya.

But the family is not alone, a few metres from their home the family of a teacher who was also brutally murdered and dumped in a sewage lagoon is yet to come to terms with his death.

The decomposing body of Joseph Onyango was found floating in a sewage lagoon a few days after he mysteriously went missing from his home. The body had deep cuts and the family suspects he was tortured before he was murdered.

When the Sunday Standard visited his home yesterday, the widow, Mercy Otieno, was attending to their five-year-old child.

READ ALSO:   Rejected Starehe boy, welcomed in Mang'u

“He was our sole bread winner and his murder has completely destroyed our lives,” she said as she battled tears.

Onyango was a primary school teacher in Nyakach sub-county.

“He did not have any issues with anyone and we are still wondering why he had to die that way,” she said.

In the past one month, three cases of people who have gone missing only to be found murdered have been reported in the region as pressure piles on security agents to bring perpetrators to book.

Other cases have been reported since the year began, including the brutal murder of a 42-year-old NGO worker in Riat.

Caren Anyango’s body was found in a pool of blood in an office block where she worked as a support staff and caretaker for Community Initiative Action Group (CIAG-K) and Transparency International (TI).

Yesterday, Chris Owala, a colleague, said no suspects have been arrested.

Interdicted

A nurse, Ferdinand Ongeri, 40, was abducted by unknown people at Riat dispensary. His body was later found dumped in a forest in Nandi, several kilometres away.

A post-mortem report indicated that he died due to excessive bleeding after his throat was slit and mouth slashed with a sharp object.

In August, the body of a teacher who went missing a few weeks after she was interdicted was found dumped by the roadside at Tido.

READ ALSO:   Fire destroys building at Starehe Boys

And as concerns grow over mysterious deaths, several families are also struggling to find their kin who have gone missing.

In Nyamasaria, the family of Enock Odhiambo, a primary school teacher, is yet to find him and his driver, more than a month after they left home to attend a burial in Migori.

His car was found abandoned a few metres from Sondu. Yesterday, his wife Milka Oyoyo pleaded with police to help locate her husband.

“My children have been asking me where their father is, but I do not know what to tell them,” she said.

Spent a fortune

The family said they have spent a fortune in an attempt to locate the two.

Activists have challenged police officers to resolve the cases and ensure justice is served to the families.

Yesterday, County Commander Ranson Lolmodol said they were yet to arrest any suspects as investigations continue.

“We have already launched investigations into the murders. In the case of the missing persons, we have opened a file and we are doing our best to trace them,” said Lolmodol.

On Friday, activists led by Audi Ogada presented a petition to security agencies in Kisumu to push them to bring the perpetrators to book.

by Standardmedia.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

READ THIS BEFORE MEGA ANNOUNCEMENT!

Published

on

Investing with Optiven guarantees value for your money PLUS great JOY For you & YOUR family

Now available in Machakos, the Garden of Joy by Optiven is located only 7 minutes drive from Koma town.

The project has Compacted Murram roads, perimeter fence, and open areas for families, multiple sports areas and much more.

Keep it here for a mega announcement on Friday, 23rd October 2020 at 4pm. Take this opportunity NOW and save before the prices go up!

Our early bird offer is only 1.295M or pay up in installments of up-to 12 months upon a deposit of 200k only. Our site visits are FREE

Get your investment!
Call us TODAY on 0723 400 500 0790 300 300

https://www.optiven.co.ke/properties/garden-of-joy

READ ALSO:   Rejected Starehe boy, welcomed in Mang'u
Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!