Connect with us

News

Why would terrorist gang target Riverside complex for attack?

Published

on

“DusitD2 Nairobi is a vibrant city hotel retreat where style, entertainment and art converge. Cocooned away from the city’s hustle and bustle and in a secure and peaceful haven off the leafy suburb of 14 Riverside Drive, it is just minutes from the central business district and merely a stone’s throwaway from the heart of Nairobi’s pulsing social scene,” says the hotel’s website.

“With unique spaces that balance a modern yet timeless aesthetic in an intimate boutique setting, DusitD2 Nairobi is the very definition of contemporary chic.

Offering world class cuisine from its array of bars and restaurants, stylish and spacious guestrooms, unique event spaces, the award winning Deverana Spa and a striking red swimming pool, DusitD2 Nairobi is the perfect urban retreat for both work and play,” it goes on, perhaps providing some clues on why the heartless bunch of terrorists could have targeted the five star hotel-cum-office block on Tuesday afternoon, killing 14 people.

Situated on 14 Riverside Drive, DusitD2 is perhaps one of the few hotels in Nairobi that share neighbourhoods with three Western embassies — Australian, Dutch and German — making it a popular haunt for Western diplomats and affluent Kenyans.

The complex is also home to offices of international companies including Colgate Palmolive, Reckitt Benckiser, Pernod Ricard, Dow Chemical and SAP.

READ ALSO:   Hero guard who died saving tens of people at Dusit attack

According to Abdullahi Abdille of the International Crisis Group (ICG), the proximity to the three Western embassies could have informed the choice of the hotel as the ideal target, given the international attention it was bound to create.

“You realise since the Westgate attack, the terrorists have

never raided Nairobi, choosing to concentrate their attacks in the northern counties such as Mandera and Garissa and to an extent Lamu.

These attacks have not yielded the attention they normally crave, so it was only natural that they hit a target in Nairobi for maximum attention and what better target than a hotel in a neighbourhood teeming with Western embassies,” he noted.

The architectural design of the hotel, with its single drive way, making it very difficult for two vehicles to drive in and out of the complex simultaneously, may have also made it an ideal target for the terrorists as it hindered the free movement of security forces, giving the terrorists ample time to carry out their heinous acts.

Mwenda Mbijiwe, a security expert, however, expressed surprise at the choice of the hotel, maintaining that it was not a smart target. “I am seeing a Jewish nexus in the whole attack,” he said.

“I am really baffled at the choice of the hotel as a target, even the mere fact that they only managed to kill 21 people, going by the official figures. The fact that our security forces managed to evacuate more than 700 people should tell you that the attack failed miserably,’ he added.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan journalist sells Dusit photos at Sh50,000 each

The Tuesday afternoon raid occurred on the third anniversary of the El Adde attack in Somalia, which saw Somali militia overrun an African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom) army base on January 15, 2016, killing more than 100 soldiers, a stark reminder that the terror threat is far from being neutralised.

Ever since the El Adde attack, the terror group has been trying to carry out attacks in Nairobi with little success. In February last year, police foiled a major attack in Nairobi after they arrested several armed suspects in Merti, Isiolo, as they headed to the capital city.

Source: Daily Nation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

Nelson Mandela’s eldest daughter Zindzi Mandela dies aged 59

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Former South African President and anti-apartheid crusader Nelson Mandela’s daughter is dead.

Zindziswa Mandela died on Monday morning aged 59 years.

Her death was confirmed by the Nelson Mandela Foundation and the country’s Department of International Relations.

She was serving as South Africa’s ambassador to Denmark at the time of her death.

Just like her parents – Nelson Mandela and Winnie Mandela, – Zindzi cut a figure of anti-apartheid freedom fighter following the footprints of her parents who suffered in the hands of the white government.

The late diplomat bore the brunt of the harsh regime after her father was imprisoned when she was only 18 months old.

Thereafter, her mother would also be in and out of jail often letting her be taken care of by her elder siblings.

In 1977, her mother was taken to Brandford and later to Orange Free State jails. Zindzi supported her and acquired her education culminating it in Degree in Law at Cape Town University.

This enabled her to emerge as the spokesperson of her parents.

The family have not given the information on the cause of her death.

She is survived by a husband and four children.

READ ALSO:   Hero guard who died saving tens of people at Dusit attack
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

See photo of exiled lawyer Miguna Miguna looking worn out that has worried netizens

Published

on

An post meeting photo of Kenyan exiled lawyer Miguna Miguna with a friend in Canada has left his online followers asking government to allow him back.

Miguna had a joint photo with one Jackson Igbinosun at the Black Gold Think Tank but it was his apparent unkempt beard and now slender body that many netizens noticed.

 

Miguna Miguna.Miguna Miguna and his friendJackson Igbinosun at the Black Gold Think Tank. Photo: Miguna Miguna.
Source: Facebook

According to the online community, the firebrand politician looked weary, fatigued and much older, joking that he was aging before he could liberate them from “despotic jaws”.

“You are getting older each day general before you liberate us from the despots. We still believe, hope and trust in you,” joked Olleta Dennis.

Miguna Miguna.Miguna Miguna when he stranded in Berlin after the government issued a red alert against his flight back to Nairobi. Photo: Miguna Miguna.
Source: Facebook

Some even chided him that he was no longer the self-declared general they knew two years ago on the night of his deportation when government authorities allegedly sedated him.

Miguna was kicked out of the country in 2018 after his involvement in the infamous swearing in of the ODM party boss Raila Odinga as the ‘people’s president’.

He made several futile attempts to fly back home in January 2020, but the government issued a red alert to block his return.

After his last deportation on March 28, 2018, he continued to live in his adopted country Canada.

READ ALSO:   Hero guard who died saving tens of people at Dusit attack

By Tuko.co.ke

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

What killed popular televangelist Morris Cerullo

Published

on

One of the most celebrated televangelists Morris Cerullo has died.

The evangelist has been battling pneumonia over the past few days.

On July 9, a message posted on his Facebook page revealed that not all was well and the end was nigh for the preacher.

“Urgent Prayer Request: Dear Friends, we would appreciate your immediate prayers for Dr Cerullo who is being treated for pneumonia at the hospital. Please also pray for Theresa who has been working around the clock to assist in his care. She needs your prayers too for extra strength at this time. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers for Morris and Theresa!” read the post which attracted over 32,000 reactions, 14,000 comments and 3,500 shares.

Born 88 years ago in Passaic, New Jersey, US, Cerullo grew to become one of the most listened to and watched preachers of all time, perhaps in the league of renowned televangelists like Billy Graham.Young Cerullo grew up in orphanages after his parents died in a road crash. Having been born into a Jewish-Italian family, he converted to Christianity at the age of 14, a move which is said to have not gone well with the owners of the Orthodox Jewish orphanage.

READ ALSO:   The suicide bomber's hand had a shiny ring: Volunteer describes his rescue efforts at Dusit

He ran away and started preaching at the age of 16. He would later conduct several open-air crusades and ministry meetings across the world. His ministry was premised on healing and miracles. At the age of 59, he bought the assets of the bankrupt ministry of Jim Bakker.

An astute businessman, Cerullo invested in media and bought a cable news network called PTL which he later renamed INSP-The Inspiration Network of which one of his sons would become CEO and later chairman. The evangelist got married to Theresa in 1951 and were blessed with three children, David, Susan and Mark.

His ministry went beyond the US and to various continents in the world including Africa. He came to Kenya in August 2017 and paid a courtesy call to President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House, Nairobi. He also visited Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia during that tour.

But Cerullo has had his own fair share of controversy. At one point he was accused of tax evasion in California but the charges were dropped. In another incident, the preacher was accused of having underrepresented his income between 1998 and 2000 but on August 8, 2007, a court in California ordered the indictment to be dropped. In 2001, a group calling itself UK Apologetics took on the preacher accusing him of what they called ‘Massive Distortions’, questioning his mode of preaching.

READ ALSO:   Dusit hotel attack forces second major shake up at NTSA

The group charged: “Cerullo, who is widely-known to be fabulously wealthy, has claimed many miracles but many observers strongly question the validity of some of these claimed ‘miracles,’ indeed, a few of these are genuinely tragic. One such case is the case of the little girl, riddled with cancer, who is informed by Cerrullo that she is “healed.”

Tragically this poor little girl was dead within weeks.”In 1991, he was accused for airing miracles he claimed to have performed, leading to the suspension of the license of a TV station or broadcasting a programme dubbed Victory with Moris Cerullo, until the station agreed to place a disclaimer stating, “Morris Cerullo World Evangelism cannot substantiate the claims made by participants featured in this programme.”

His death was yesterday received with an outpouring of grief on social media. John King’oo, a Nairobi resident, wrote on Facebook: Rest in power Dr Morris Cerullo. Immediately after high school, I attended your meetings in Nairobi.

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!