Connect with us

News

Banker denies aiding Dusit attack suspects

Published

on

When Diamond Trust Bank Eastleigh branch manager Sophia Njoki Mbogo first appeared in court on January 24, tears flowed freely down her cheeks probably hoping the court would free her soon.

However, Ms Mbogo lost her bid for freedom pending probe into claims that she facilitated huge Mpesa transactions that financed the Dusit complex attack that left 21 dead. She therefore spent over a month in the Anti-Terrorist Police Unit’s custody.

According to nation.co.ke Yesterday, she appeared before Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi and pleaded not guilty to failure to report suspicious activity regarding proceeds of crime.

She was also accused of failing to report a suspicious transaction of Sh34,736,550 at the branch she headed. She allegedly committed the offences between December 4, 2018 and January 5.

Ms Mbogo was accused of failing to stop withdrawal of those monies that should not have exceeded Sh100,000.

Nation.co.ke report that although she had claimed that the bank did not have any accounts with any known terror suspects, police accused her of allowing huge sums of money to be cashed.

Source: Daily Nation

 

READ ALSO:   Dusit hotel to hold memorial for 6 employees on Wednesday
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

BREAKING: No KCPE, KCSE in 2020- CS Magoha announces

Published

on

Pre-primary, Primary and Secondary schools will reopen in January, 2021.

This was announced on Tuesday by Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha, who also reported there will be no KCPE and KCSE exams in 2020.

Prof Magoha said that based on the rising numbers of COVID-19 cases, Education stakeholders have shelved the initial proposal to reopen schools in September for class 8 and form 4 learners.

All learners in grade 1 to 4, Standard 5 to 7 and form 1 to 3 will remain in their current classes in 2020.

The Education CS, speaking at KICD on Tuesday further stated that the learners will sit their examinations later in 2021.

BY Pulse Live

READ ALSO:   DusitD2 terror suspect had 47 M-Pesa lines, withdrew Sh5.2 million three days before the attack
Continue Reading

Health

City ‘curse’: Rural folk wary of returnees

Published

on

A section of residents in Western and Nyanza have expressed fear that the region could be exposed to more coronavirus infections with the reopening of the economy.

They have urged the government to hold reopening plans until the curve has been flattened.

Amid the excitement of the relaxed measures, some county governments have expressed concerns about the attitude of locals, which may pose a serious threat of new community infections in the coming months.

In Siaya, where all the cases so far reported were imported from Mombasa, Nairobi and Kwale, residents have not been taking chances with ‘suspicious guests’, often alerting authorities whenever spotted.

PROTECT PEOPLE

Until Monday’s announcement, those who have sneaked out of the lockdown areas of Nairobi and Mombasa would immediately be identified and reported to authorities.  Many have ended up in quarantine facilities. This move had scared cunning city dwellers from setting foot in their rural homes.

Celestine Owiti, 55, the Masinde primary school headteacher in Gem Sub-county, said lifting restrictions will negate all the gains the country has so far made.

“We have been smoking out those who sneak in to protect our people from being exposed to the virus because all the cases we have so far reported in Siaya are from outside the county,” she said.

READ ALSO:   Dusit Hotel to remain closed as renovations continue

“We have many people living in slums in the cities. These are some of the areas that have been reporting high cases. Without jobs, they will likely troop back to the villages. We will see an explosion of cases,” she cautioned.

HIGH CASES

Her sentiments are shared by many residents, who feel that the vulnerable, like the elderly in the villages, will be exposed to the virus. Siaya Police commander, Francis Kooli, told the Nation in a recent interview that the county’s rapid response team had activated surveillance systems, with specific target being those who reside in the sub-counties reporting high Covid-19 cases.

In Migori, County Heath Executive, Dr Iscah Oluoch, said while the department has put in place containment measures, the attitude of residents was worrying, adding  that individual responsibility was key in containing further spread of the virus, which has already affected 116 people in the county.

HEALTH RESTRICTIONS

“Our major challenge is handling county residents who take the precautionary measures lightly,” Dr Oluoch told the Nation in an interview. In Kakamega town, Mr Suleiman Sundukwe regretted that many Kenyans have ignored safeguard measures.

“Where there are no police officers, people behave normally without considering the health guidelines. Should the President open up the country, many people will die and many will be arrested for flouting the health restrictions,” observed Mr Sundukwe.

READ ALSO:   DusitD2 terror suspect had 47 M-Pesa lines, withdrew Sh5.2 million three days before the attack

“Because the number is still going up, the President should have maintained the lockdown and enforce guidelines until everyone accepts and observes the restrictions before he opens up the economy,” he added.

RUNNING BATTLES

Mr Fadhil Eshikwekwe, a barber in Mumias town was, however, upbeat about the reopening, saying businesses have suffered.

In Kisumu, Ms Pamela Ogal, a resident of Buoye village, said: “We have to protect our lives since cases of Covid-19 are high in Nairobi and Mombasa. Nobody wants to be infected with Covid-19.”

In Homa Bay, many traders continue to disobey the health directives, often engaging in running battles with police.

By Daily Nation 

Continue Reading

News

Senate says sacking of top KEMRI official was hurried and unprocedural

Published

on

A Senate committee has revealed that the sacking of Joel Lutomiah as the director of the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Centre for Virus Research was hurried and unprocedural, a Senate committee has revealed.

A report by the Senate ad hoc committee on Covid-19 situation further concludes that the grounds for Dr Lutomiah’s removal over alleged failure to release Covid-19 test results to the Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe, was unlawful.

“The preliminary observation of the Committee is that the demotion of Dr Lutomiah was carried out in a rushed and unprocedural manner and did not comply with provisions of the Constitution,” the committee chaired by Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja said in its seventh progress report.

Lutomiah was demoted on April 17 by Kemri director general Yeri Kombe, reportedly on Health CS Mutahi Kagwe’s instructions, for delaying to release Covid 19 results.

In May, while appearing before the committee, an emotional Lutomiah blamed his woes on the ministry of Health acting Director General, Dr Patrick Amoth, and Dr Daniel Langat, the head of the ministry’s Department of Disease Surveillance and Epidemic Response Unit. He noted that he was condemned unheard.

However, Kagwe has distanced himself from the saga, explaining that the action was a “normal administrative issue” at Kemri.

READ ALSO:   American newspaper New York Times declines to pull down graphic images on Dusit attack

“My understanding was that the individual was never sacked, but was just transferred from one department to another,” Mutahi told the National Assembly Health committee in April.

In the report, the committee said Lutomiah’s removal from the position violated the Fair Administrative Action Act (No. 5 of 2015), as well as various Guidelines, Protocols and Manuals governing disciplinary action.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!