Connect with us

Diaspora

Days after doctors said she didn’t have long to live, Zipporah Kamau passes away in Seattle

Published

on

Ms Zipporah Kamau , the US-based Kenyan woman who recently  touched the hearts of many with her story, has died. Ms Kamu had been diagnosed with one of the most devastating forms of cancer last year and had been going through Chemotherapy. She died Monday just before 2pm  in Seattle, Washington.

This even as Kenyans of all walks of life rallied together and raised over $20,000 after she sent a passionate appeal seeking help to pay for her rent and, possibly, travel home to be with her children.

“The response has been extremely encouraging especially after Jeremy Damaris and BMJ Muriithi posted the information on different platforms which was subsequently shared by other well wishers via social media,” said John Mwangi, a friend to the deceased on Tuesday.

“Friends, that moment has come for our Dearest Friend Zipporah Kamau. Jesus was passing by, doing good to All as such is His Nature. Passing by Room 410, He came in, at exactly 1.55pm, noticed His beloved and agonized on her suffering, took her by the hand and said ever so softly ‘Come, come with me, get up’ wrote Edward Karanja, a friend to the deceased.

On Monday, mixed reactions within the Kenyan community in the US greeted the news of her death. Some who had heard her story had expressed their hope that she would have recovered and traveled to Kenya.

READ ALSO:   Police investigate Margaret Nganga's death as family reels in shock

“But we have have to accept it. God’s word is final regardless of our wishes here on earth,” said Esther Kariuki of Seattle, Washington.

About a week ago,  doctors had  told her that she had a few days days to live.

Zipporah’s story is heartbreaking to say the least. In a tragic twist of fate, soon after she arrived in the US in November 2017, her son was struck by a car and died in Nairobi.

When she and her then husband attended the funeral, he passport got lost and she was forced to apply for travel documents to get back to the US.

She stayed in Atlanta, Georgia, for a while before relocating to Seattle to live with her friend, only identified as Beth. It was then that she got sick and was diagnosed with Lymphoma, an aggressive form of cancer that begins in infection-fighting cells of the immune system, called lymphocytes. Now the doctors tell her that she may need to go through dialysis as her kidneys are failing.

“I have gone through 9 rounds of Chemo and now they have told me that I have to start another round of palliative chemotherapy but I don’t think I can do it any more. My body is totally ruined by the previous round of Chemo,” she told Jeremy Damaris of Kikuyu Diaspora TV in an interview.

READ ALSO:   LIVE RADIO: Listen to Susan Kariuki's mom speak on Special live show in honour of her daughter

“They recently said I had only three days to live and that my kidneys are affected..but I know I can live longer than that in Jesus mighty name,” she added.

Zipporah Kamau (Right) pictured here at an event in Kenya in 2016. PHOTO/BMJ MURIITHI

Looking emaciated and weak, she had appealed to well wishers to come to her aid and help her to at least pay her house rent which has accumulated to over $4,000 as she has not done so since June last year.

“I live with a friend where I am supposed to pay $600 a month but because of my condition, I have’t been able to meet my end of the bargain for the last six months. My roommate is a very nice lady but she can only do so much,” says Zipporah as she fights off tears.

Zipporah Kamau during the interview. PHOTO/SCREEN GRAB

During the interview, she sends a message to her children back in Kenya. “Whatever happens, just know that I love you all very much,” she says, after calling each of them by name. She wishes she could pay fees for her children who are in college. “I hope to see you some day when I get stronger,” she tells them.

Photos taken in 2016 show a healthy looking  and bubbly woman compared to the recent pictures which depict a pale shadow of her former self.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: How a Kenyan boy raised by a single mom rose to earn a Masters in Nuclear Medicine #DIASPORASTORIES

To get the full story, Watch the video below [in Gikuyu] courtesy of KDTV:

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Ever dreamt of living/working in Canada? Here is another chance

Canada’s May 1st Express Entry Draw Invites 3,350 Candidates to Apply for Permanent Residency, Targets 81,400 for 2019.

Published

on

In the latest draw held on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 for the Express Entry program, the government of Canada has invited 3,350 candidates with Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

Individuals who enter the drawing and are selected for ITA get a chance to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

The government sets a minimum score needed to qualify for each draw – Comprehensive Ranking system (CRS) score, which is based on such factors as age, education, skilled work experience, family ties in Canada, and fluency in either English or French. The minimum score for the May 1st draw was 450, a reduction of 1 point over the minimum score for the April 17th draw, in which another 3,350 candidates were invited for ITAs.

So far in 2019 Canada has issued 31,250 ITAs, against a target of 81,400 for fiscal year 2019.

Candidates who are issued ITAs are given 60 days to submit a complete application permanent residency as the first step towards moving to or remaining in Canada as a permanent resident.

Candidates who apply for Express Entry remain the the selection pool for 12 months if they are not immediately invited to apply. The government says while in the selection pool, the candidate can continue to improve his or her score by among other things gaining more relevant work experience, improving education level, improving language score, or getting a job offer in Canada.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: How a Kenyan boy raised by a single mom rose to earn a Masters in Nuclear Medicine #DIASPORASTORIES

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

In the latest draw held on Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 for the Express Entry program, the government of Canada has invited 3,350 candidates with Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

Individuals who enter the drawing and are selected for ITA get a chance to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

The government sets a minimum score needed to qualify for each draw – Comprehensive Ranking system (CRS) score, which is based on such factors as age, education, skilled work experience, family ties in Canada, and fluency in either English or French. The minimum score for the May 1st draw was 450, a reduction of 1 point over the minimum score for the April 17th draw, in which another 3,350 candidates were invited for ITAs.

So far in 2019 Canada has issued 31,250 ITAs, against a target of 81,400 for fiscal year 2019.

Candidates who are issued ITAs are given 60 days to submit a complete application permanent residency as the first step towards moving to or remaining in Canada as a permanent resident.

Candidates who apply for Express Entry remain the the selection pool for 12 months if they are not immediately invited to apply. The government says while in the selection pool, the candidate can continue to improve his or her score by among other things gaining more relevant work experience, improving education level, improving language score, or getting a job offer in Canada.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan lawyers in US push for Diaspora vote

You can check if you meet the minimum score and also apply for Express Entry here.

SOURCE: Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Diaspora

VIDEO: Kenyan who killed an American woman in Tacoma car crash suffered from schizophrenia – Lawyer

Published

on

Kenyan born Win Gikonyo has pleaded insanity in a case where she has been charged with vehicular homicide in Tacoma, Washington.

Ms Gikonyo, 26, is said to have crashed her car into a Toyota Prius belonging to Ms Marianne Burton.

My client was suffering from hallucinations when she crashed her new Hyundai Elantra into 60-year-old Marianne Burton’s Toyota Prius, defense attorney Michael Stewart told the court.

“She was hearing voices shouting commands in her ear,” Stewart said. “… She felt that she could communicate with the traffic lights.”

Gikonyo wrote in a declaration filed with the court that she understands her plea means the court could hospitalize her indefinitely if she’s found to be a substantial danger to herself or others. She also understands that if the court finds she is not a substantial danger, it could put conditions on her release — including prohibiting her from driving.

A report filed by a psychologist at Western State Hospital this month diagnosed Gikonyo with “unspecified schizophrenia spectrum or other psychotic disorder” and found her to be a low risk to re-offend or exhibit dangerous behavior.

Blood tests showed Gikonyo wasn’t under the influence of drugs or alcohol when she drove more than 100 miles per hour, tried to pass two cars, then hit Burton’s car April 18, 2018 near 84th Street and McKinley Avenue.

Burton died at the scene.

Win Gikonyo appeared in Pierce County Superior Court, with her attorney Michael Stewart, right. Gikonyo pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to vehicular homicide for the Tacoma crash that killed Marianne Burton

Her family was not happy with the resolution of the case.

Her daughter, Amber Falaschi, told the court Tuesday that she doesn’t believe Gikonyo was insane at the time of the wreck. She argued that Gikonyo had held a job and bought a car — “things that insane people don’t generally do.”

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Why Kenyans back home get pissed off by exaggerated tales of Diaspora returnees

“She stole my mother’s life from everyone who knew her,” Falaschi said.

Members of the family of the crash victim. PHOTO I SCREENSHOT

Burton’s son, James Burton, told the court by phone that his mother had been less than two years from retirement when she died.

“My mother was robbed of her hard-earned retirement and her life,” he said.

Burton cleaned houses a few days a week and had been working at a pizza shop, according to News Tribune archives.

Her family said Burton was beloved by her cleaning clients and pizza shop coworkers, to whom she was a sort of store mom.

She was making a pizza delivery at the time of the crash.

Stewart read a letter that Gikonyo wrote in which she apologized to Burton’s family and said she hoped they could forgive her one day.

“I just want to tell you how sorry I am,” it read in part. “… Please know it was an accident.”

He said Gikonyo had moved out of her mother’s home before the wreck and isolated herself. Her mother didn’t know where she was for several months.

Charging papers said Gikonyo started rolling in the street as officers tried to speak with her after the wreck, and that at various points she hissed, spat and pretended to be dead.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan lawyers in US push for Diaspora vote

“She was suffering from hallucinations and is not legally responsible for her actions at the time,” Stewart said of the crash.

She underwent treatment at Western State and is responding very well to medication now, he said.

Superior Court Judge Frank Cuthbertson acknowledged that Tuesday was tough for Burton’s family.

“I know that this is not cathartic, that this is unsatisfying,” he told them. “… to lose a parent is terrible.”

When it comes to convicting someone of a crime, Cuthbertson told the family, a judge has to look at the act and the mental state of a defendant.

“You have to have both,” he said. “This is a classic case of when that comes into play.”

He noted that Gikonyo doesn’t have any criminal history.

The judge also said that she has prior hospitalizations for mental health treatment and for some reason discontinued her medication in the past.

“I’m concerned about her going off the medication, because this can’t happen again,” Cuthbertson said.

He ordered her held without bail pending a hearing in two weeks to discuss what mental health treatment Gikonyo will get going forward.

2018 Reporting: Woman accused of fatal wreck hissed, rolled in street and said ‘life goes on,’ charges say

A woman accused of causing a fatal crash in Tacoma rolled in the street, pretended to be dead in the ambulance and told police “Life goes on” after the wreck, records show.

Win Gikonyo, 25, was charged Friday with vehicular homicide for the death of Marianne Burton, 60. She is expected to appear in court this afternoon.

READ ALSO:   Police investigate Margaret Nganga's death as family reels in shock

Burton died Wednesday after Gikonyo tried to pass two cars on McKinley Avenue East while traveling more than 100 mph and slammed into Burton’s Toyota Prius, police said.

Nobody witnessed the collision but a passerby stopped moments later and found the Prius on a sidewalk near 84th Street East. The driver’s door was too damaged to open and debris was spread across the street.

Burton was pronounced dead at the scene.

Gikonyo was found about 200 feet south outside her new Hyundai Elantra, which lost both passenger side tires in the collision.

A witness told police Gikonyo sped past her just before the crash and veered into oncoming traffic to go around slower vehicles in the southbound lane.

When officers tried to speak to Gikonyo, she allegedly fell to her stomach, insisted on sitting on a tree branch rather than the curb and began rolling in the street.

She also rolled around in the back of the patrol car, hissing and spitting, according to charging papers.

Police came to draw blood later to see if she was under the influence and Gikonyo “laid on the gurney, rigid, and pretended to be dead,” records show.

She did not respond to questions and signed the wrong name when she was booked into Pierce County Jail.

When corrections officers asked if she understood another driver had been killed in the crash, she told them “Life goes on,” documents show.

 

– AGENCIES

Continue Reading

Diaspora

Corrupt Kenyans will not be allowed in the US — envoy

Published

on

Corrupt Kenyans will neither be allowed into the US nor pay for their children’s education there, US ambassador to Kenya Kyle McCarter said in Nairobi.

The ambassador, while attending the Junior Achievement Organisation 100 years celebration, said the ‘big fish’ in the country get away with theft of billions whereas the common mwananchi is brutally punished for the theft of smaller amounts of money.

“You cannot allow somebody to steal Sh20 billion and fine them Sh10 billion. We deal with thieves in a very brutal way, not even according to the law,” he said.

“Somehow, we tolerate the theft of billions in Kenya. If we stop tolerating thievery, Kenya will be a shining star for democracy and prosperity in Africa.”

McCarter said Kenya would have to make a choice between the Big Four agenda and theft, adding that without corruption, the Big Four agenda is achievable.

“The cost of this is the same cost ironically as the Big Four. It could become a reality if we got rid of thievery,” he said.

The USA is now working with the DCI and DPP to ensure that corruption is a thing of the past.

In a tweet, the ambassador said there will be very little rest for those tasked with fighting theft in Kenya.

READ ALSO:   Kenyan lawyers in US push for Diaspora vote

The envoy assured DCI George Kinoti that “the USA is backing you 100 per cent”.

In his address, the US ambassador emphasised on the need for Kenya to be an environment free of corruption.

With the high unemployment rates among the youth in Kenya, citizens are urged to take up measures to salvage the current unemployment status since the youth could get into harmful activities.

“We have a group of young people that are bitter and if we do not do anything, other people will employ them to harm,” McCarter said.

With many learned Kenyan youth and limited opportunities, the ambassador said, preparing a workforce does no good if there is no opportunity. Opportunities are to be created for the prepared but unemployed workforce.

McCarter has urged the Kenyan youth to make use of their God-given talents and invest in other people in order to boost the economy by eradicating unemployment.

He termed to the two per cent and three per cent GDP growth as little, saying Kenya has a greater potential.

“Two per cent, three per cent GDP growth is complete rubbish…you can double the size of the economy,” he said.

In the fight against unemployment, McCarter said the government is not the solution.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: How a Kenyan boy raised by a single mom rose to earn a Masters in Nuclear Medicine #DIASPORASTORIES

“The government is not the answer to the problem but a government that remembers that the people are the ones that pay the salary,” he said.

According to the envoy, the private sector is an answer to doubling the size of the Kenyan economy.

He added that Kenya cannot afford to fail in giving opportunities to those 30 years and below who make up about 70 per cent of the Kenyan population full of potential.

The young people in Kenya have been urged to serve and create opportunities where they have come from.

source:The Star

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!