Connect with us

News

Hired driver who ‘disposed’ Wambui’s body appears in court

Published

on

A third suspect in the murder of Mary Wambui Kamangara was arraigned in the Kiambu Law Courts on Wednesday.

The court allowed detectives to hold him in custody for seven more days as they conclude investigations.

Police said Mr Michael Githae Mathenge, who they believe used his Toyota Noah to dispose of the body, had been known to Ms Judy Wangui Mungai for two years, during which he often provided her with car-hire services.

Ms Wangui and her lover, Wambui’s husband Joseph Kori Karue, are also in custody helping with investigations. The case will be mentioned on February 13.

LURED INTO POLICE TRAP

Mr Githae was arrested on Monday afternoon after being lured into a police trap. He appeared before Kiambu Senior Principal Magistrate Stella Atambo, but did not take plea.

Investigating officer Cornelius Arwasa told Ms Atambo that preliminary findings show that Mr Githae could have been “involved or participated in the commission of the offence”.

Mr Githae lives in Ruaka and runs Mipals Travel Adventures and Hire on Kimathi Lane, Nairobi.

He told police that he has known Ms Mungai as a customer since 2016. Ms Mungai, he said, had earlier on the day of the murder, January 26, asked Mr Githae to expect some business.

READ ALSO:   Social media posts show Wambui was in distress months before she was murdered

Police believe the “business” was disposing of the body using his car — a KCK registration series — which despite being captured on CCTV entering Fourways Junction Estate, where Ms Mungai has a home, and in which Ms Kamangara was apparently killed, has not been found. Police are looking for it.

A car driven by Ms Wangui — a white Mercedes registration number KCC 068U — had also gone missing for two days before it was recovered in Kwa Maiko, a trading centre in Githunguri, Kiambu County. The car is now in police custody.

Michael Githae Mathenge at the Kiambu Kaw Courts on February 6, 2019. PHOTO | ERIC WAINAINA

SCENE OF MURDER

In a sworn affidavit, Mr Arwasa told the court that evidence gathered so far was at the scene of the murder around the time the incident happened.

He also said Ms Mungai and Mr Githae were in constant communication after they left the estate soon after midnight.

“We got footage and other evidence showing the respondent [Mr Githae] was in Four Ways Junction Estate during the suspected time of the [murder] and that he was in constant communication with another suspect Judy Wangui Mungai on the night of January 26 up to about 3am on January 27.

READ ALSO:   Wambui murder: Police change tune on Kori

“We [also] have evidence showing the respondent [Mr Githae] went to Juja area where the body of the deceased was discovered later that day [January 27],” Mr Arwasa told the court.

Through his lawyer, Mr David Nyamu, Mr Githae requested to be released on bond pending the conclusion of the investigations. He argued that there were no compelling reasons for his continued detention.

Ms Atambo rejected the application, saying, the matter under investigation was “weighty”, and police needed to be given a chance to handle it conclusively.

RETRIEVE COMMUNICATION

Police have confiscated Mr Githae’s phone for forensic examination at the DCI Cyber Crime Unit with a view to retrieve the communication between him and Ms Mungai and any other person during the period of interest.

Mr Githae’s registered mobile numbers have also been forwarded to the Safaricom head office for analysis.

According to police sources, the suspect also hired a car — a KCE series — which Ms Mungai used to drive to Ms Wambui’s home at Safari Park Garden and later to Homeland Inn, Thika Road, where she left it on claims that it failed to start.

According to the footage, Ms Wambui and Ms Mungai, after a merrymaking session at Homeland Inn, arrived at the estate at 6.24pm using the former’s white Mercedes Benz saloon car.

READ ALSO:   Fourth woman in Kori love life emerges, says they have a son

They were captured being cleared at the main gate.

Police are also investigating the circumstances under which the Mercedes Benz was driven and abandoned at Kwa-Maiko Trading Centre, which is about 22km from where the killing is believed to have taken place.

Source: Daily Nation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Barclays Bank Sh14m ATM heist was an inside job – DCI Kinoti

Published

on

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) boss George Kinoti has confirmed that the theft of sh14 million at various Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) operated by Barclays Bank was an inside job.

According to the DCI, an initial investigation has revealed that the daring heist was executed by employees attached to the bank.

Kinoti said his team of detectives was concluding its probe in readiness to hand over the investigation file to the Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Hajji’s office for prosecution of those found culpable.

“What happened at Barclays Bank is what we call constructive robbery which is a type of theft committed by employees of an organization. Look at the precision and exactly what was targeted. We are talking about a place that has CCTV cameras. However, those cameras were smeared with some substance,” he said.

On Wednesday detectives arrested a taxi driver and impounded a Probox vehicle suspected to have been used in the theft.

Five Barclays bank officials and a group of G4S security guards were earlier this week taken into custody to aid the police with the investigation.

A string of robberies in the long Easter weekend left Barclays Bank short of more than Sh14 million after four teller machines were broken into in Mutindwa, Mater Hospital, Kenyatta National Hospita and Kenya Cinema all in Nairobi County.

READ ALSO:   The untold story of John Kamangara, father of slain Kiambu woman

source:nairobinews

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Evans Kidero arrested again

Published

on

Former Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero and former Chief of Staff George Wainaina have been arrested.

The arrests come following investigations by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission over irregular payment of Sh68 million by the Nairobi City County government to a law firm.

EACC has been investigating allegations of irregular payment of the money to M/S Wachira Mburu, Mwangi and Company Advocates.

In a press statement, the Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji said that after reviewing the file submitted by EACC, there was enough evidence to charge Dr Kidero and others over the suspected illegal payment.

According to the DPP, the suspects will be charged with, among others, conspiracy to commit an offence of corruption, abuse of office and money laundering.

Source:nation.co.ke

READ ALSO:   Murder: Kori offered 'mpango wa kando' millions to shut up
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Blonde Dj Mo caught using iPhone while marketing Oppo

Published

on

The concept of an “influencer” is pretty clear; “an individual who can reach many people through various communication channels and can therefore, potentially, influence them to like or dislike, adopt, buy or skip buying, products and services”.

Samuel Muraya, popularly known as Dj Mo, broke the code by going the opposite while influencing for and endorsing the latest Oppo smartphone F11 launched this week.

The gospel Dj sent out several tweets to describe how he likes the latest Oppo gadget while using an iPhone which is a rival product.

Kenyans online, who never miss the opportunity to poke fun at an online gaffe, took notice before Dj Mo could delete the tweets.

NEW FORM OF MARKETING

Using celebrity influencers has become the new form of marketing. It is believed that their fans are likely to use a brand that their “idols” are associated with.

Mr Muraya is not the first person to make such a blunder.

American media mogul and former talk-show queen Oprah Winfrey once sent shares of Windows tumbling down after she used an iPad to promote Windows Surface tablet.

Another influencer Luka Sabbat was sued last year for failing to live up to an agreement to promote Snap Spectacles on his Instagram account.

READ ALSO:   How I helped mistress dump wife’s dead body, man confesses to role in Wambui murder

The company filed the lawsuit in New York Supreme Court, alleging that Sabbat breached his agreement to post three Instagram stories and one post to his Instagram feed in which he would be wearing the spectacles.

While in Nigeria, renowned tech YouTuber, Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) Samsung Nigeria was forced to deactivate their verified account after he posted from an iPhone.

Russian TV personality Ksenia Sobchak, who doubled as Samsung’s brand ambassador was also sued after she was photographed using an iPhone X during a TV interview instead of a Samsung.

source:nairobinews

Continue Reading

Trending