Connect with us

News

How I lost 2800 laptops to cons at the Deputy President’s office

Published

on

A Makueni businessman who supplied 2,800 laptops to fraudsters posing as employees at the Deputy President’s office has filed a complaint to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) over delays in charging one of the prime suspects.

Stephen Ngei Musyoka, who owns Makindu Motors Limited, wants the DCI to intervene in the matter saying he is frustrated with the manner in which the police officers have handled his complaint initially made at Athi-River police station.

Through his lawyers, Veronica & Associates Advocates, Mr Musyoka says he made an official complaint at Athi-River police station on August 13 last year regarding a failed tender where he supplied 2800 pieces of laptops to the office of the Deputy President that led him to loss of Sh181 million.

“Makindu Motors Limited was made to believe that they had been awarded a tender to supply 2,800 HP laptops by one Joy Wangari Kamau (alias Miss. Muhoro), who held out to be in charge of procurement at the office of the Deputy President as well as the Secretary to Mr Wanyonyi who held out as the Personal Assistant of the Deputy President,” the complaint reads in part.

Trouble began on March 30 last year when representatives of Makindu were led to the office of the DP, through VIP Lift to the third floor, office number B3-005.

Here according to court documents they found “Miss Muhoro” and signed a Non- Disclosure Agreement which had the official logo of the office of the DP.

Makindu Motors also signed a supplier agreement with the office of the DP where they were contracted to supply laptops.

The agreement also had an official logo of the DP’s office which they believed to be genuine. On June 19, the company was given a purchase order document referenced as ODP/SUPLS/0451-404/2018-2019 and as a result of the foregoing, Musyoka; agreed to use his creditworthiness and took a loan with Sidian Bank to finance the said tender project.

The laptops that were to be delivered were HP 15-7th Generation and 145 pieces were delivered. The rest were HP 15- 8th Generation which was accepted after a request to substitute the product was made.

“Acceptance to substitute the product was accepted through an email from the office of the Deputy President (sent through noreply@deputypresident.go.ke),” Musyoka says in his case.

His firm would deliver the laptops on different dates between June and August 2018. For instance, he says on June 25 the firm delivered 145 pieces of laptops at Treasury Building as per the instructions of Joy Wangari and received by Christian Mwendwa.

Come July 13, the next batch of 597 pieces of laptops were collected at Eastleigh from Eye Link Cargo offices.

They were received by Allan Chesang (Alias Mr Kiptoo), who the firm says is the main architect of the fraud but is yet to be charged alongside other suspects described as ‘small fish’.

A total of 500 pieces of laptops were allegedly collected from Salama Cargo, by Chesang on July 14.A week later, he collected 823 pieces of laptops in two deliveries to be allegedly delivered to the office of the DP.

The last batch of 735 pieces would be collected on August 2 last year by Chesang in motor vehicle registration Number KCA 601W.“In the the above deliveries and collections, the computers were to undergo rebranding before delivery at the office of the DP.

It is of importance to note that the parties receiving the laptops were accompanied by police officers,” the businessman says adding that the deliveries were well documented with proper delivery notes signed and stamped by the respective parties.

He came to the realisation that the entire transaction was a tall tale after he was informed that the laptops were being sold in computer and accessories outlets in Nairobi Central Business District (CBD). He confirmed the same by purchasing 10 pieces of the computers from the CBD through the help of an acquaintance.

“Upon the realisation, our client reported to Athi-River police station on  August 10, 2018 at 9pm,” the complaint copied to other government agencies among them the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) and the National Police Service.

Musyoka also reported the same to the office of the DP where he was given police officers who raided Chesang’s office in Westlands recovering 656 laptops.

An additional 10 laptops were recovered from a Motor Vehicle make Mercedes Benz Registration Number KCL 505J parked at the premises.The recovered laptops and the vehicle are at the Parliament Police Station Building and will be used as exhibits.

Several arrests and charges would be made leading to institution of several cases among them case no 1555 of 2018, case no 1816 of 2018 and case no 1723 of 2018 at Milimani Nairobi.

In December the court directed that these cases to be consolidated to one file so as to enable faster dispensation of justice and to save time.

“The cases are yet to be consolidated. It is our opinion, that consolidation of these files will not render justice to our client if the key suspect, Mr Allan Chesang, is not arrested,” Veronica & Associates Advocates argue.They also want to know why the case was transferred from Athi-River Police station where it was reported, to Central Police station.“On August 30, 2018 it was reported in the media that the key suspect and mastermind of the fraud, Allan Chesang was finally arrested but sadly and surprisingly, the suspect has never been taken to court.

”Chesang filed a miscellaneous application for anticipatory bail, that was heard in November 2018 but the court delivered a ruling in favor of the prosecution.“Despite this, Allan Chesang was not arrested,” the complaint says. The businessman argues that the loan he took continues to accrue interest.  “Our client is frustrated and unsatisfied with the pace at which the investigations are being carried out. Mainly on the Fact that the main Culprit is still a free man not yet arrested or charged,” it adds.

Source: Standard Media

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Fidel Odinga’s widow, Lwam Bekelle reveals heated communication with Ida

Published

on

Fidel Odinga’s widow, Lwam Bekelle, has put his mother-in-law on blast.

In court papers, Lwam claims that Ida has been spreading falsehoods about her.

In their affidavits, Ida and Winnie accuse Bekelle of taking off from her matrimonial home in Karen soon after Fidel was laid to rest and cutting all contact with the family.

They also say Bekelle kept off as the Odinga’s pushed to get to the bottom of what could have killed Fidel.

Bekelle accuses her mother-in-law of “unjustifiably and continuously making false, defamatory and/or unkind remarks about her family friends and herself.”

“I believe that the statement she recorded with the DCI following the death of Fidel Castro Odhiambo Odinga informs the 1st objector’s [Ida’s] averments and is the genesis of our differences,” Bekelle said.

However, in their affidavit, Ida and Winnie state that they are worried that Fidel’s son, Allay, may not be adequately provided for.

They claim Bekelle had removed him from school and kept him at home while also hiding him from the Odinga family.

“The objectors are further worried that having been the only child between the petitioner and the deceased, he is the only living memory of her son and will be disadvantaged if the petitioner continues to block them from his life,” Ida through Owiti, Otieno and Ragot advocates claims.

fidel odingaHowever, Bekelle blasts Ida for contradicting herself by claiming Fidel had other kids yet in the same document, she acknowledges that it is only her son that Fidel had sired during his lifetime.

“In paragraph 13 and 14 of the objectors’ answer to the petition for a grant, they averred that my son Allay Raila Odinga was the deceased’s only descendant and he is the only living memory of the deceased. This averment is in itself contradictory to the objectors’ earlier assertion that the deceased sired other children in a different relationship,” she responded.

The widow also claims the Odinga family is not supporting her son and disputes claims he has dropped from school.

By Mpasho

Continue Reading

News

Uhuru’s big love for the old

Published

on

Kenyans, especially the youth, have expressed displeasure with the appointment of former Othaya MP Mary Wambui to head the National Authority Employment Authority.

Ms Wambui, the woman who thrust herself into the limelight after claiming she was President Mwai Kibaki’s wife, was handed the big job by Labour Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani.

But this is not the first time President Uhuru Kenyatta’s administration is appointing retirees and perceived ‘old people’ to take charge of critical state agencies.

On Monday, Mr Kenyatta appointed Jeremiah Matagaro to the public service, raising questions about Jubilee administration’s knack for retired persons at the expense of youths in State appointments.

Mr Matagaro will chair the State Corporations Advisory Committee for a three-year period, an appointment many consider as a slap in the face to the youth.

Cyrus Gituai, who served as Internal Security PS in the first Kibaki administration, also makes a comeback to the public service. Mr Gituai has also served as a district commissioner.

But the return of the old guard in Kenyatta’s administration is hardly surprising as the trend has been there for all to see.

Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua is 68, well over the mandatory retirement age of 60.

The same goes for former Vice President Moody Awori, the man well into his 90s, chairs the Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund.

President Kenyatta also picked Stephen Karogo to chair the Public Service Commission, even though at the point of his nomination, he was slightly over 60 years.

MPs vetting him for the position questioned his ability to adequately serve given that he has hit the mandatory retirement age of 60 years for the Civil Service.

“Do not focus on my age, rather at the wealth of experience I bring on the table in this new role,” he told the National Assembly Committee on Administration and National Security.

Retired General of the Kenya Defence Forces Julius Karangi chairs the NSSF Board after his retirement from the military, while 72-year-old Francis Muthaura is in charge at Kenya Revenue Authority.

Just last week, the National Assembly approved Esther Murugi to sit in the National Lands Commission, even though she is 66.

Back to Mr Matagaro, he is not exactly young. He was the police spokesman during the troubled times of agitation for political pluralism in 1990 to 1993.

He would later rise to become North Eastern provincial police commander in the mid 1990s.

When President Mwai Kibaki took over, he appointed him PS in the Ministry of Justice under Kiraitu Murungi before he was controversially appointed to the Electoral Commission of Kenya in total defiance of the 1997 Inter Political Parties agreements.

Mr Matagaro was among ECK commissioners who were sent packing after a probe by an international commission established that they had bungled the presidential election.

In a bid to stop recycling and re-appointment of senior citizens to the public service, Starehe MP Charles Njagua has filed a motion in the National Assembly.

The youthful city MP is seeking to reduce the retirement age to 50 from the current 60.

He says his motion will help address the high unemployment rate among the youth.

“Noting the mandatory retirement age for public servants is set at 60 years, this House urges the government to review mandatory retirement age in public service from current 60 to 50 years,” reads the motion.

Documents presented to parliament by the Public Service Commission (PSC) detailing the breakdown of civil servants by age cluster revealed that at least 11,879 civil servants were aged between 51 and 60 years.

A further 12,057 civil servants were aged between 56 and 60 years, while there were about 399 civil servants who had attained the age of 60 years or above.

by nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

Outrage over hiring of Mary Wambui

Published

on

Hours after the government announced several appointments to various positions in State agencies late on Monday, Kenyans have taken to social media to express their displeasure with some of those picked for the posts.

In a special Gazette Notice dated October 14, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced he had appointed eight people to the State Corporations Advisory Committee, while the Labour Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani announced his pick for the chairperson for the National Employment Authority (NEA).

It is CS Yatani’s choice that has outraged Kenyans, who wondered whether the appointment of former Othaya member of Parliament Mary Wambui was done on merit.

Kenyans including political leaders, on social media, claimed Ms Wambui is out of touch with the realities of young unemployed graduates in the country.

They have also questioned the former lawmaker’s capacity to deliver on her new mandate.

Dismissing the appointment, ruling Jubilee party’s nominated Senator Millicent Omanga described it as a sad day and a spat on the face of Kenyan youth.

Senator Omanga expressed doubts that Ms Wambui possesses the ability “to craft strategies and policy formulations” to eradicate youth unemployment in the country.

“Does Wambui have the remotest idea what it feels like to hold a degree certificate yet you can’t find a job with it?” Ms Omanga posed, arguing that by hiring her, the government had demonstrated its lack of seriousness in addressing the challenge of unemployment.

Others argued that the government was worsening the youth unemployment crisis by appointing a person who is “rich, powerful and well-connected”.

Hapa ni kubaya. Watu wanatolewa retirement kupewa job; sisi wengine tulipe ushuru wapate mishahara (The situation is bad. Retirees are being recalled and offered jobs while the rest of us have to pay taxes for their salaries),” Mutichilo Mike noted.

Former presidential candidate Mohamed Abduba Dida termed the appointment as shocking, saying it showed the government’s “consistency and dedication towards failure.”

“When you think you have seen it all, the government pulls another one,” he added.

Others said such appointments dented President Kenyatta’s legacy.

When he took over power in 2013, the President vowed to fight youth unemployment and to create 500,000 new jobs every year. That has not been the case.

“In a nation where unemployment is a real crisis for the youth, such crucial positions need visionary leaders,” David Musyoka argued, adding that it should not be “reward schemes for political loyalty”.

“We are now lacking direction,” Sammy Mohammed lamented, wondering, “how can we grow our economy by recycling these old MPs?”

Mr Mohammed went on to suggest that the President should “try one of us” to assess the youth’s competency and suitability.

Mary Wambui, a businesswoman and politician, was the MP for Othaya Constituency, Nyeri County from 2013 and 2017.

According to data from the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, nine out of every 10 unemployed Kenyans are below 35 years.

The bureau puts the overall unemployment rate in the country at between 7 and 12 percent, a figure that is disputed.

By nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!