Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Outrage as Chief Justice Maraga attends Uhuruto rally

Published

on

Kenyans have hit out at Chief Justice David Maraga, accusing him of embarrassing and dishonouring the legal profession after he attended a public rally addressed by President Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto in Kisii.

President Kenyatta, Dr Ruto and opposition leader Raila Odinga on Wednesday toured Kisii County, where they launched new facilities at the referral hospital, and Mr Maraga attended the event.

Critics, including senators, have raised questions why the CJ attended the meeting which they termed a ‘political function’.

“There is no day in the history of this country that a CJ attended a political event. In terms of decorum, it is a very bad manners,” Senate Minority Leader James Orengo said.

Mr Orengo said the CJ had brought dishonour to the courts.

“When you have a situation where the Chief Justice is turning in line in a crowd and waiting to be recognised, in terms of judicial decorum, it is very bad manners,” Mr Orengo said.

Bungoma Senator Moses Wetang’ula expressed disappointment at the CJ for thanking the Executive “for bringing development to his area”.

“He is not the Chief Justice of Kisii. He is the Chief Justice of the Republic of Kenya,” Mr Wetang’ula said.

READ ALSO:   Ruto allies want Raila arrested

Other Kenyans took to social media to express their anger. Nairobi Lawyer Nelson Havi posted on Twitter: “It is going to be difficult for CJ David Maraga to extricate himself from the public perception that he has been taken hostage by the Executive or has willingly joined it. A CJ cannot be doing this. Not under The Constitution of Kenya, 2010.”

Abuga Makori tweeted, “I am a disturbed man simply because of our judiciary. CJ Maraga travelled from Nairobi to Kisii on Wednesday to attend to a roadside rally. I expected him to tour only Kisii Teaching and Referral Hosptial but saw him with politicians in town.”

Another Twitter user said, “Maraga’s high office demands all impartiality in all arenas. He stooped so so low by presenting himself as one of the mtu wa mkono in Kisii.’

Source: Daily Nation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Blind 70-year-old Kenyan living in US pleads for help to return home – VIDEO

Published

on

Kenyans living in the diaspora have formed a WhatsApp group to try and help an elderly Kenyan man living in the United States to return home.

In a message shared in the Diaspora Messenger, a website that connects and updates the East African community abroad, the Kenyans have appealed to well-wishers to help Mr William Mwangi Kagwima, who is aged 70.

“One of our Kenyan brother, migrated to Worcester MA, in 1998. Like every other immigrant, he worked hard until last year when he started losing his eye sight and could not work anymore. He has endured severe hardship and has exhausted his savings. Mr Kagwima is requesting the community to send him back home to his family,” the notice reads in part.

They also shared a short video clip of Mr Kagwima speaking in Gikuyu and explaining how he ended up to be where he is today.s

source:nairobinews

READ ALSO:   BREAKING NEWS VIDEO: Ngilu joins NASA, says Uhuru and Ruto are extremely corrupt
Continue Reading

News

Varsity student commits suicide in Kitui, leaves suicide note

Published

on

A 24-year-old fourth-year student at South Eastern Kenya University in Kitui on Friday committed suicide by hanging herself.

Her body was found dangling from the roof of her rented house at Kwa Vonza trading centre in Kitui Rural.

Lower Yatta OCPD Charles Chacha confirmed the morning incident, saying the student, who was pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree course in Information Technology, left behind a suicide note.

Dear mum and dad, I am sorry I had to do this. I love you guys so much, but I can’t take it any longer [sic]. Life has become unbearable. I cannot live like this anymore,” read the suicide note allegedly written by the deceased.

Alleged suicide note left by the 24-year-old South Eastern Kenya University student

The student’s body was taken to Kitui Level Four Hospital mortuary for preservation.

Meanwhile, the lifeless body of a 40-year-old man was found hanging from a tree near his homestead at Mwakini Village in the same area.

OCPD Chacha said the deceased had gone missing since Thursday as earlier reported by his wife.

He as well appealed to students and members of the public to desist from taking own lives but rather seek help from parents or counsellors when faced with life challenges.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING NEWS VIDEO: Ngilu joins NASA, says Uhuru and Ruto are extremely corrupt

The two bodies were taken to Kitui Level Four Hospital morgue pending postmortem examination, police said.

source:ureport

 

Continue Reading

Business

How Diamond Lalji became a bankrupt millionaire

Published

on

Picture this: Your friend asks you to guarantee his/her sacco loan. You automatically agree because you know him/her well. Besides, the sacco is known to be flexible with defaulters.

Sadly, things don’t go according to plan, life gets tough and your friend defaults. But his/her assets are not enough to recover the loan, so the sacco comes after you and other guarantors.

PETITION

Unfortunately, you can’t pay up, so the sacco files a bankruptcy petition against you and succeeds.

Within no time, you’re declared flat broke and an insolvency practitioner appointed to run whatever little exists of your estate.

This scenario is now real for thousands of Kenyans following a court judgement that declared former Cereal Millers Association chairman Diamond Hasham Lalji bankrupt on March 1.

The tycoon, whose business empire boasts no fewer than 16 companies in various industries, failed to repay a $4.8 million (Sh480 million) debt three of his companies owed American grain bulk handler, Cargill.

On January 16, 2017, Mr Lalji agreed to guarantee three of his flour milling companies — Premier Flour Mills, Maize Milling Company and Milling Corporation of Kenya — which had owed Cargill since it supplied them with maize in 2012.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Drama as Uhuru reads Riot Act to his closest political ally, followed by deletion of his Social media accounts

At the time, the three firms owed $5.2 million (Sh520 million). Milling Corporation owed Sh274.95 million, Premier Flour Mills Sh192.25 million and Maize Milling Sh48.95 million.

But after the businessman failed to pay up as agreed, Cargill filed an insolvency petition against him.

TITLE DEEDS

Mr Lalji on Friday filed an appeal against the bankruptcy order issued by Justice Francis Tuiyott.

The Court of Appeal will mention the case Monday and decide whether to suspend Justice Tuiyott’s order, as Mr Lalji looks to convince the appellate judges to dismiss the order permanently. Justice Tuiyott’s ruling is likely to create anxiety among loan guarantors, since they could meet a fate similar to Mr Lalji’s.

Justice Tuiyott ordered that Anthony Makenzi Muthui of Ernst & Young take the over management of Mr Lalji’s estate as a receiver manager to recover Cargill’s debt.

Usually, the appointment of a statutory manager to handle a bankrupt individual’s estate is left to the official receiver. But Justice Tuiyott held that the official receiver had accepted Cargill’s nomination of Mr Muthusi, and that Mr Lalji did not contest the arrangement.

Justice Tuiyott agreed with Cargill’s argument that Mr Lalji did not give adequate details on six parcels of land worth Sh330 million that he offered to sell to offset part of Cargill’s debt. The businessman faulted Cargill for turning down his repayment proposal, which included the six title deeds as security.

READ ALSO:   BREAKING NEWS VIDEO: Ngilu joins NASA, says Uhuru and Ruto are extremely corrupt

DISCLOSURE

He also asked Justice Tuiyott to consider that his three firms had repaid Sh34 million since the insolvency petition was filed. But Cargill insisted that the Sh30 million was too little, since Mr Lalji had promised to pay Sh100 million.

Justice Tuiyott ruled that there was no evidence to verify the value of the land Mr Lalji pledged as security. “The identity of the properties to be sold is not disclosed and neither is a professional opinion of the value demonstrated. In the circumstances, a creditor would be rightly entitled to doubt the credibility of the proposal made.”

The court added that Mr Lalji’s failure to make a disclosure of all his assets and liabilities did not help his argument, because it is only upon such disclosure that the court can evaluate his ability to meet the offer. “And it cannot be ignored that the promise to pay the debt is by the very companies whose default led to the guarantee that has given rise to Mr Lalji’s apparent insolvency” Justice Tuiyott ruled.

Justice Tuiyott had ruled that Cargill was not unreasonable in turning down a repayment proposal by Mr Laji, which would have seen the debt repaid in instalments running through to April, 2023. After Cargill filed the insolvency petition, Mr Lalji proposed to give the firm the six pieces of land, which he was ready to sell, as security.

READ ALSO:   Ruto allies want Raila arrested

source:nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!