Connect with us

News

She went in for breast enlargement, doctors pricked her intestines

Published

on

On June 5 last year, June Wanza Mulupi walked into Surgeoderm Healthcare Limited, a private clinic in Nairobi, to have her breasts enlarged and firmed up.

She was 35 years old and a mother of three, considerably healthy, and looking forward to leaving the clinic within hours.

But that was not to be as, a few hours later, and despite assurances by the surgeons that she would be fine, she developed complications that killed her two days later, leaving behind a distraught husband and their three children.

What happened?

Eight months after Ms Mulupi’s shocking death, investigators have pointed accusing fingers at the three doctors who operated on her, as well as the management of Surgeoderm Healthcare Limited.

The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (KMPDB) found that Dr Martin Ajujo, who led the botched procedure, was still a trainee and was not licensed to conduct surgery without the supervision of a practising plastic surgeon.

A shareholder in the clinic, Dr Ajujo was supposed to work under the supervision of another shareholder, Prof Stanley Ominde Khainga, who is also the head of the plastic and reconstructive surgery department at the University of Nairobi.

Investigations into the matter also revealed that, although already graduated, the anaesthetist, Dr Evans Charana, did not have a private practice or locum license from KMPDB. He also had no professional indemnity insurance as required by law.

At the time of the botched operation, Dr Ajujo was a plastic surgery and reconstructive registrar at Kenyatta National Hospital.

This means he was receiving training under a supervisor on his journey to becoming a plastic surgeon. He was also a Nairobi County employee seconded to Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital, but was on study leave.

The crux of the investigation revolved around how, despite not being allowed to conduct any surgery unsupervised, Dr Ajujo went ahead and listed himself as the operating surgeon on Ms Mulupi’s admission papers at Surgeoderm.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

Owing to the low number of plastic surgery patients at Kenyatta National Hospital, Prof Khainga had allowed Dr Ajujo to train in other facilities under his supervision, and that might explain how he ended up at Surgeoderm.

Dr Ajujo confessed to the KMPDB team that he took the notes in Ms Mulupi’s file, and that there were no notes by

Prof Khainga. Any error in Ms Mulupi’s patient file was his, not Prof Khainga’s, he added.

To make matters worse, the KMPDB’s preliminary investigations shows that the clinic had operated without a licence for some months before Ms Mulupi walked in for the second of a three-part surgery.

KMPDB had granted Surgeoderm a licence on April 5 last year, yet Ms Mulupi’s first procedure had been conducted two weeks earlier, on March 24, by Prof Khainga.

Investigators thus believe several illegal surgeries were performed at Surgeoderm since Ms Mulupi was not the only patient to have a breast augmentation procedure at the facility before April.

On June 5, when Ms Mulupi walked in for her appointment, Prof Khainga was running late and Dr Ojijo proceeded to perform a quarter of the procedure before his supervisor arrived.

He had already harvested fat from Ms Mulupi’s abdomen through liposuction and was preparing to inject it into her breasts when Prof Khainga arrived.

A day after the surgery, on the morning of June 6, Mr Mulupi walked into Surgeoderm to take his wife home, but found her asleep. He returned at noon and found his wife complaining of excruciating pain. She said she was feeling cold and he covered her with an extra blanket, then tried to feed her.

He was told he would take his wife home later that evening, but late in the afternoon he received a call from the clinic and was told that his wife was not eating.

He rushed to the clinic and, to his shock, found that his wife was unable to sit up or walk without assistance. Her skin had started to turn pale but the clinic’s staff told him that she would be fine if she ate.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

He ordered for chicken from a nearby restaurant but, as he tried to feed her, a medic at the facility told him that her condition had worsened and she needed to be referred to another hospital urgently. The family settled on Nairobi Hospital, according to Dr Ajujo’s testimony.

Prof Khainga, however, contradicted this while addressing the investigating committee. He said he was attending to other patients at Nairobi Hospital when he received a call from Dr Ajujo, who explained the complications Ms Mulupi had developed. Prof Khainga then told Dr Ajujo to transfer her to Nairobi Hospital. KMPDB faults him for not disclosing to the other doctors that he had conducted the first augmentation surgery. At Nairobi Hospital, records show that Ms Mulupi was seen by Dr Ajujo at the accident and emergency section at 11.45pm on June 6. He admitted her at the high dependency unit but she died on June 7 after an hour-long attempt to resuscitate her failed.

The KMPDB’s Preliminary Inquiry Committee presided over a hearing after Mr Joseph Mulupi, the deceased’s husband, filed a complaint against Dr Khainga and Surgeoderm Healthcare Limited.

The inquiry found out that, at some point between 7.40pm and 11.15pm, Ms Mulupi’s gut was nicked and waste flowed out, causing a blood infection commonly known as sepsis. This led to her death two days later.

However, an autopsy report by Dr Daniel Zuriel, who was hired by Prof Khainga, showed that Ms Mulupi had chocked on her own blood.

KMPDB did not believe the findings, and now says Dr Zuriel’s report might have been intended to derail investigations into the botched surgery.

It had “glaring inconsistencies in comparison to two other reports” — prepared by chief government pathologist Dr Johansen Oduor and Dr Joseph Ndung’u, who represented Nairobi Hospital — says the board.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

Both Dr Oduor and Dr Ndung’u reported that Ms Mulupi had died of sepsis.

As a result of these findings, KMPDB will now constitute a tribunal to do a full inquiry into Prof Khainga, Dr Ajujo, Dr Charana and Surgeoderm.

“By virtue of the fact that Prof Khainga agreed to perform the procedure, and actually performed the first part, there existed a duty of care owed to the patient,” the KMPDB ruling reads in part. “The committee further finds that the said duty was breached as Prof Khainga allowed an unqualified person to carry out a procedure on his patient.”

Prof Khainga, Dr Charana and Dr Ajujo sued to stop KMPDB from probing them, claiming patient records showed that she had arrived at Nairobi Hospital while stable.

But Mr Mulupi disagreed. “After the ambulance arrived at Nairobi Hospital it had to be cleaned because my wife was leaking bodily liquids. She was then rushed to casualty and then taken to a resuscitation room,” Mr Mulupi told the KMPDB committee.

Prof Khainga had objected to the preliminary inquiry, arguing that one of the members — Dr Elly Nyaim Opot — was on the opposing side of a case that he had filed in court as an official of the plastic surgeons’ lobby.

Prof Khainga claimed he would not get a fair hearing owing to tension between him and Dr Opot. He also claimed that Nairobi Hospital’s Dr Reuben Okioma had injured Ms Mulupi’s neck, leading to her death.

But Mr Mulupi said Dr Okioma was only trying to rectify the complications originating at Surgeoderm, and that Prof Khainga had attempted to settle the matter “amicably” by sending an emissary to strike a deal at the deceased’s funeral.

Source: Daily Nation

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Honey gatherer finds Sh27,000 in forest, gives it to rightful family

Published

on

A honey gatherer who found Sh27,850 in a forest handed it over to a family in Bomet whose son has been missing for nearly a fortnight.

Nicholas Sang, 27, was on a honey gathering mission in Bondet Forest when he stumbled on the money.

“The money was laying on the ground in the middle of the forest. Besides the money, I recovered a pair of socks and a handkerchief,” he said.

Sang who doubles up as a tea picker then took to finding the owner of the wallet.”From it, I retrieved an identification card belonging to Robert Kipkurui Tonui, from Kapsengere Village, Bomet County,” he said. In the wallet, there was also a Boda Boda sale agreement which indicated that 27-year-old Tonui had sold a motorcycle for Sh60,000.He had received a Sh30,000 deposit.

Finding Tonui

Sang, said that when he finally managed to locate Tonui’s home, he was surprised to find he had been missing since April 7.

“The family reported the matter at the local police station and returned to Bondet forest where the search party found additional items belonging to Tonui; which included a coat, underwear and another pair of socks,” he said. They, however, found no body.Tonui’s mother Ester Simotwo said she last saw her son on April 6th.

“My son has been working as a power saw operator and just left home without telling me where he was going,” she said.Mrs Simotwo said she hopes that her son who is a father of one, was still alive.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

“My gut feeling is that he is alive and somewhere out there,” she said. Tonui is related to former Roads Minister Franklin Bett who has also been in the search party.

source:standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

My son would be alive if I didn’t take him to KNH, mother claims

Published

on

Like the pale red blood stain on Ms Susan Mburu’s grey jumper, the pain she feels, one of a mother who lost a child too young, will never go away…

Days after her three-year-old son Leon Nyongesa, died Ms Mburu is still struggling to make sense of the death, one she believes could have been avoided if doctors and nurses at the Kenyatta National Hospital would have attended to him promptly.

On the Monday of March 25, her son was fine and they even went out for lunch.That evening, while Leon was not seriously ill, Mburu decided to take him to a clinic near their home in Nairobi, where he was diagnosed with pneumonia and instructed to a day later for treatment.

By 10 am on Tuesday, Mburu reveals, Leon’s condition was worsening but he was not badly off.At noon, she took him back to the hospital.

The doctors gave him medicine and told her to take him back later for an injection.When they returned home in the afternoon, Leon played with his toys in the living room before taking a nap.

It was not long before Leon began displaying minor signs of illness, mostly fever, Mburu recounts.“They just gave us medicine and said they can’t inject him until the evening, so we went back home,” Mburu notes.Everything, however, took a turn at around midnight.

“By around midnight his fever had become too high and he was mumbling to himself”.In the urgency of the moment, Mburu decided to take Leon to hospital, bypassing several hospitals in favour of Kenyatta National Hospital, a decision she now says she regrets.

“We got to KNH before 2 a.m. and stayed in line waiting to see a doctor for hours. It was only at 7.30 a.m. that we were finally attended to,” Mburu told Standard as she cried uncontrollably.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

While the previous hospital revealed Leon had pneumonia, KNH told Mburu and her husband that Leon had malaria and admitted him into Ward 3D at 8 a.m., then put him on a fluid drip.She says that even despite the admission, her son was not seen by a doctor.

“A nutritionist passed around and asked how the child was feeding at 8 a.m.,” she says.Several hours elapsed, Mburu reveals, yet no doctor came to see them.“I noticed the drip was not transmitting fluids into the body but pulling out blood”.

Alarmed, she frantically called for a nurse or doctor and even ran out to a desk where some were seated, begging them to check on her son, but she claimed they adamantly refused to go into the ward to see him.Instead, she says, they asked her to take the boy to them.

 

She claims the doctor at the ward told her, “Don’t disturb me. Why can’t he drink water through the mouth?”Out of desperation, she says, she along with her husband, pulled out the drip from Leon, spilling out blood onto the sheets and his clothes. They frantically rushed him to the hospital staff, who were still seated by the desk.The three-year-old Leon, scared and sickly, clung tightly onto Mburu, his bloodied hands leaving stains on her jumper.

By then, Mburu reveals, Leon’s fever had heightened and so had his mumbling.

‘This is Kenyatta’

Instead of attending to them, amidst tears, Mburu claims that the doctors and nurses rudely told them to get Leon away from the desk because he was dirtying it with his blood.Mburu further claims that when she continued begging the doctor in charge of the ward to help her, she rudely told her, “You will know this is Kenyatta, not a private hospital”.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

She adds that she asked the hospital to discharge her son so she could take him to a private hospital, but the staff refused.

Mburu claims the staff refused to give him medicine, telling her that the hospital did not have medicine.She further claims that just one nurse sneaked her son pills, requesting her not to tell anyone.As the day progressed, Leon worsened.

He experienced heart palpitations accompanied by bleeding from the mouth, a fact she accuses the staff of trying to falsely pass off by saying the boy was bleeding because he had bitten himself on the mouth.

Again, Mburu and her husband rushed Leon to the doctor, whom she says refused to put an oxygen mask over his face and instead told them to do it themselves, at around 7.30 p.m. that night.

She adds that a student at the hospital tried to help them by inserting the oxygen pipes into Leon’s nostrils yet immediately she did so, blood started oozing out and the student told them he may be bleeding internally.At 9 pm that Wednesday, March 27, within seconds of removing the pipe, Mburu claims, Leon soiled himself and died.

What angers her, Mburu told Standard, is the fact that three doctors and a swarm of nurses rushed to her son’s bed when he died, yet when he was still breathing and fighting for his life, they were adamant to treat, medicate or even just take a look at him.She also claims that the doctors gave her sketchy explanations, not adequately explaining what caused her son’s bleeding yet he had been admitted with malaria.

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim

Mburu believes the staff may have caused the bleeding and subsequent demise of her son due to their negligent actions, ranging from refusing to attend to him and failing to give him medicine because the hospital did not have drugs.

After Leon’s death, Mburu says the doctor who had refused to attend to them asked for her forgiveness, blaming her inefficiency on an overwhelming workload and extreme stress.

But Mburu says her son was innocent and should not have paid the price for lack of drugs or stressed and overworked doctors with his young life.She adds that she is contemplating action against the hospital but is speaking out so other parents do not have to lose their children at the hospital as she did.While she states that she is sure her son would still be alive had she taken him to another hospital, Ms Mburu finds consolation in the belief that her son’s demise was for a reason.

She told Standard, “I observed many injustices at the hospital. One doctor refused to treat a child until the mother cleared outstanding bills. Some of the staff harass and scare children. Many of the people are just unable to speak out”.KNH disputes Mburu’s account, claiming that Leon was thoroughly attended to.

However, KNH’s Communication Manager, Mr Hezekiel Gikambi says the hospital cannot disclose more details since the patient is deceased and was a child.He adds that Ms Mburu can follow official channels and file a complaint against the personnel or with the hospital if she feels her child’s death was caused by negligence.

source:standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Lulu Hassan pampers hubby with love on his birthday

Published

on

Citizen TV news anchor Rashid Abdalla turned a year older on Wednesday and his wife Lulu Hassan took the opportunity to pamper him with love.

Lulu and Rashid work together at Royal Media Services and even co-anchor Citizen TV’s weekend Swahili news bulletin Citizen Nipashe.

Lulu’s short message to Rashid read:

“To the man who changed my life in more ways than I can count… Happy-happy birthday! Love you baba Jibby,Iffy,Kikky.”

The couple have three children together.

nairobinews.co.ke

READ ALSO:   Doctor in botched breast surgery now facing assault claim
Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!