Connect with us

Africa

Ethiopia Airline Nairobi bound plane crashes, ‘No survivors’

Published

on

All passengers on board an Ethiopian Airlines jet that crashed shortly after take-off on Sunday have died, the airline says.

It said 149 passengers and eight crew members were believed to be on flight ET302 from Addis Ababa to Nairobi in Kenya.

The airline added that there were 33 different nationalities on board.

The crash happened at 08.44 local time, six minutes after the flight took-off from the Ethiopian capital.

It is not yet clear what caused the accident.

First word of the crash came when Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed expressed his “deepest condolences” on Twitter.

In an earlier statement, the airline said that search and rescue operations were under way near the crash site around the town of Bishoftu, which is 60km (37 miles) south-east of the capital.

“Ethiopian Airlines staff will be sent to the accident scene and will do everything possible to assist the emergency services,” the statement added.

Boeing, the company that built the aeroplane, said in a tweet that it was “closely monitoring the situation”.

Its 737 Max-8 aircraft is relatively new to the skies, having been launched in 2016. It was added to the Ethiopian Airlines fleet in July last year.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Man who lost five family members in Ethiopian crash reveals wife’s last words to him

Another plane of the same model was involved in a crash five months ago, when a Lion Air flight crashed into the sea near Indonesia with nearly 190 people on board.

Ethiopian Airlines flies to many destinations in Africa, making it a popular carrier in a continent where many airlines fly only from their home country to destinations outside Africa.

It has a good reputation for safety, although in 2010 one of the company’s aeroplanes crashed in the Mediterranean Sea shortly after leaving Beirut.

The incident killed 90 people on board.

The airline’s highest fatalities prior to this came in a November 1996 crash during a hijacking on a flight from Addis Ababa to Nairobi.

One of the aeroplane’s engines stopped when the fuel ran out and although pilots attempted an emergency water landing, they hit a coral reef in the Indian Ocean and 123 of the 175 people on board were killed.

Source: nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Africa

PHOTOS: Uhuru all smiles in Namibia as drought crisis persists in Kenya

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta led a high-powered delegation to attend Namibia’s independence day celebrations, despite the raging drought crisis in the country.

Pictures shared on the State House social media accounts show the head of state and those on his entourage all smiles during the celebrations that were held at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek.

President Uhuru Kenyatta arrives at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek to Namibia’s independence day celebrations. PHOTO | COURTESY

“President @UKenyatta arrives at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek to join the people of Namibia for celebrations to mark 29 years of their country’s independence,” read the caption.

Some of those in his delegation included his daughter Ngina, personal assistant Jomo Gecaga, ministers Monica Juma (Foreign Affairs), James Macharia (Transport) and Mwangi Kiunjuri (Agriculture), among others.

President Uhuru Kenyatta is welcomed at the Independence Stadium in Windhoek to Namibia’s independence day celebrations. PHOTO | COURTESY

At least 10 people have been reported dead as a result of the drought that has hit a number of counties.

The worst-hit are Baringo, Turkana and West Pokot.

Senior government officials, including Deputy President William Ruto, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i and his Devolution counterpart Eugene Wamalwa have, however, claimed that no Kenyan has died from starvation. They say the situation is under control.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Man who lost five family members in Ethiopian crash reveals wife’s last words to him

SOURCE: Nairobi News

Continue Reading

Africa

Zambia High Commissioner dies while receiving treatment in Nairobi

Published

on

Zambia High Commissioner to Kenya, Her Excellency Brenda Muntemba-Sichilembe has died.

The 49-year old High Commissioner has been receiving treatment since she was involved in a fatal road accident at Machakos on February 26.

Foreign PS Macharia Kamau has confirmed the death.

Ms Muntemba-Sichilembe was initially admitted at the Machakos Level 5 Hospital, and then flown to Nairobi and operated on to stem internal bleeding where she was admitted in Intensive care unit (ICU).

Prior to her appointment to this role, she served as Chief Program Officer at UNESCO in Zambia.

More to follow…

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Man who lost five family members in Ethiopian crash reveals wife’s last words to him
Continue Reading

Africa

Museveni accepts proposal to run for 6th term in 2021, says he’s ‘still very able’

Published

on

Uganda President Yoweri Museveni, aged 74, has affirmed he still has the strength to extend his rule to hit the four-decade mark.

He spoke after the National Resistance Movement (NRM) lawmakers endorsed him to continue leading the party and the state in a controversial move.

The parliamentary caucus in Kyankwanzi District unanimously endorsed the Chobe resolution by the party’s central executive committee (CEC) to have President Museveni continue leading the neighbouring East African nation.

“I’m therefore very pleased with your confidence in me and since I am still very able and I happen to be among the most conversant with this journey, I happily agree to serve,” said the President, fetching a thunderous applause from the legislators who nominated him unanimously on Sunday.

NRM Spokesperson Rogers Mulindwa, in a statement on Sunday, said the legislators’ position was taken shortly after secretary-general Justine Ksaule Lumumba’s presentation titled: Towards 2021: Milestones and Strategies for the NRM Party. 

This development implies that Museveni, already in power for 33 years, will be seeking a record sixth term in power during the 2021 general election.

He will battle it out in the 2021 poll with 37 year old MP Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine and 62 year old Kizza Besigye, who has unsuccessfully tried to dislodge Museveni in Uganda’s 2001, 2006, 2011, and 2016 elections.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Man who lost five family members in Ethiopian crash reveals wife’s last words to him

Museveni has been in power since January 26, 1986.

source: Nairobi News

Continue Reading
poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

March 2019
M T W T F S S
« Feb    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!