Connect with us

Business

ODM Politician among those arrested over Ksh2 Billion Fake Cash at Bank

Published

on

A politician was on Tuesday arrested in connection to the fake Ksh2 billion that was discovered at a safety deposit box at Barclays bank, Queensway branch.

The owner of the safety deposit box, Dr Eric Otieno Adede, had vied for the Homabay Town Constituency seat in 2017 but lost to Peter Opondo Kaluma.

The identities of other individuals being held in connection to the fake cash syndicate are Ahmed Shah, who was posing as an investor, accomplices Elizabeth Muthoni and Irene Wairimu Kimani as well as Boaz Ochich and Charles Manzi who are bank officials.

The bank clarified that the contents of the deposit box were only known to the politician.

Initial reports had stated that the money seized was Ksh17 billion but Directorate of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti clarified that the money was valued at Ksh2 billion.

The money had been kept in the safety deposit box in denominations of $100 bills.

 

 

Dr Eric Otieno Adede’s poster for the 2017 General Election

Tuesday’s bust comes barely a month after DCI detectives discovered Ksh32 billion in fake currency at a house in Ruiru, Kiambu County.

The police revealed that the currencies, which included both local and foreign, was linked to one of the suspects who impersonated President Uhuru Kenyatta.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Panga-wielding thugs attempt to rob American couple

The currency, estimated to be in billions, had been traded out to unsuspecting Kenyans in Shillings, Dollars, Japanese Yen and other denominations.

In an earlier report by Kenyans.co.ketwo of the seven suspects lived lavish lifestyles with one owning a fully furnished 10-bedroom house in Karen and the other having spent Kshs 5 million on a wedding attended by MPs in 2017.

The suspects included Duncan MuchaiIsaac WajekecheWilliam SimiyuDavid Luganya, Anthony Wafula, Gilbert Kirunja and Joseph Waswa alias Henry Waswa.

Clockwise: Ahmed Shah, Erick Adede, Irene Wairimu Kimani, Elizabeth Muthoni arrested in over to fake Ksh2 billion syndicate

-kenyans.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Barclays Bank Sh14m ATM heist was an inside job – DCI Kinoti

Published

on

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) boss George Kinoti has confirmed that the theft of sh14 million at various Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) operated by Barclays Bank was an inside job.

According to the DCI, an initial investigation has revealed that the daring heist was executed by employees attached to the bank.

Kinoti said his team of detectives was concluding its probe in readiness to hand over the investigation file to the Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Hajji’s office for prosecution of those found culpable.

“What happened at Barclays Bank is what we call constructive robbery which is a type of theft committed by employees of an organization. Look at the precision and exactly what was targeted. We are talking about a place that has CCTV cameras. However, those cameras were smeared with some substance,” he said.

On Wednesday detectives arrested a taxi driver and impounded a Probox vehicle suspected to have been used in the theft.

Five Barclays bank officials and a group of G4S security guards were earlier this week taken into custody to aid the police with the investigation.

A string of robberies in the long Easter weekend left Barclays Bank short of more than Sh14 million after four teller machines were broken into in Mutindwa, Mater Hospital, Kenyatta National Hospita and Kenya Cinema all in Nairobi County.

READ ALSO:   Kenyatta family acquires another bank at Sh1.4B

source:nairobinews

Continue Reading

Business

Kenyan avocados cleared to enter the expansive Chinese market

Published

on

enyan farmers will now export their popular hass avocados to China following a trade deal signed when President Uhuru Kenyatta met his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing today.

The signing of the agreement which makes Kenya the first African nation to export avocados to the Asian nation with a market of over 1.4 billion consumers comes after a long and comprehensive approval process that included Chinese experts visiting Kenyan farmers.

It is estimated that when the agreement is fully implemented, the Chinese market will absorb over 40 percent of Kenya’s avocado produce, making it one of the largest importers of the fruit. Other famous destinations of Kenyan avocado include Europe and the US.

The signing of the protocol on sanitary and phytosanitary (an agreement relating to the health of plants, especially with respect to the rules of international trade) requirements for the export of frozen avocado was the last major hurdle for the Kenyan crop to be accepted in the highly regulated but lucrative Chinese market.

Avocado becomes the second farm produce from Kenya to access the expansive Chinese horticultural market after Stevia and will be followed by 13 other priority farm produce among them flowers, mangoes, French beans, peanut, vegetables, meat, herbs, bixa and macadamia.

READ ALSO:   Angry villagers lynch man in Naivasha after the body of a missing nine-year-old boy was found under his bed

The meeting between Presidents Kenyatta and Xi Jinping and their delegations focused on promoting economic and trade exchange in 8 key initiatives identified during the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) meeting held in Beijing last year.

These initiatives include industrial promotion, trade facilitation, infrastructure connectivity, green development and people-to-people exchange. Others are capacity building, healthcare, and peace and security.In addition to the avocado deal, President Kenyatta witnessed the signing of an agreement on Economic and Technical Cooperation covering all sectors of mutual interest and an MOU on joint promotion of the implementation of the 8 FOCAC priority areas.

President Kenyatta is in Beijing, China for a three-day working tour where he will also attend the Second Belt and Road Forum (BRF) for International Cooperation that will be officially opened by President Xi Jinping on Friday.The President is accompanied by Cabinet Secretaries Peter Munya (Trade), Dr.Monica Juma (Foreign Affairs) and James Macharia (Infrastructure) among other senior government officials.

source:standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

Business

69-Year-Old Dutchman alleges estranged Kenyan Wife’s Plot to Illegally Inherit His Vast Estate

Published

on

A Nairobi-based Dutchman has written to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and the Inspector General of Police over harassment by his estranged Kenyan wife.

Tob Cohen, the CEO of Tobs Company accuses his estranged Kenyan wife of using police and the justice system to harass and intimidate him.

Cohen claims that his partner Sarah Wairimu is colluding with some government officers to illegally deport him so that she can take over his vast estate.

“There has been a curious excitement to have our client prosecuted for allegedly assaulting her despite insufficiency of evidence, which intended prosecution is aimed not only at soiling his reputation but also having him deported from Kenya so that his properties become free and available to Sarah Wairimu Kamotho and her accomplices,” Cohen’s lawyer Danstan Omari says.

Cohen says Wairimu is using all means in an attempt to inherit his properties after he filed for divorce early this year.

Cohen, 69, has lived in Kenya since 1987 and married Wairimu in 2007 but soon after, their marriage became rocky after she began demanding a 50 percent stake of his property.

“The said Sarah Wairimu Kamotho has expressly been disrespectful to our client by being scornful and by use of emotional blackmail well demonstrated by the denial of our client’s conjugal rights,” the letter reads in part.

READ ALSO:   Angry villagers lynch man in Naivasha after the body of a missing nine-year-old boy was found under his bed

He also accuses Wairimu of storming into his office and throwing a glass of water at his face, threatening him, and pushing him downstairs, sustaining serious injuries on his forehead.

He says he was treated and later reported the matter at Parklands Police Station but that Wairimu filed a report at Gigiri police station claiming to be the one who was assaulted.

“That our client is astonished at the discriminatory manner in which the law is being applied to his disadvantage since no step has been taken by police officers at the Parklands police station to prosecute Wairimu despite a preponderance of evidence demonstrating her guilt, yet the same law enforcers are keen on prosecuting our innocent client.”

Cohen says he will continue to suffer humiliation, discrimination, and persecution if the DPP and IG fail to take action.

Source: Mwakilishi.com

Continue Reading

Trending