Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Drama as family accuses ‘Prophet’ Owuor church of milking kin’s wealth

Published

on

Dramatic scenes unfolded at a posh neighbourhood in Westlands on Monday as a family accused a church operating under Dr David Owuor’s Ministry of Holiness and Repentance of using their sister’s wealth to finance its activities.

The family claims that their sister Jane Njagi, who they say is a former partner at J M Njagi Advocates firm, has been ‘brainwashed’. They accuse the Kings Outreach Church of taking away her properties.

They said they cannot access their sister, except through her personal assistant.

KEPT RELATIVES AWAY

Guards at the gate of Ms Njagi’s serviced apartment block located on Rahpta Road, Westlands, kept the relatives away, claiming that she was asleep.

Her sister Alice Macharia told journalists that Ms Njagi has been under such heavy guard that she was even kept away from news of her mother’s death.

Her brother Duncan was allowed to give Ms Njagi the news, but only after he showed up with their mother’s obituary that was published in the newspaper.

A representative of the Kings Outreach Church, lawyer Kimani Watenga, told journalists at the scene  that Ms Njagi is a bishop at the church and retired from her law practice to dedicate her life to the service of the church.

He also claimed that through prayers, Ms Njagi’s son was healed of dyslexia.

“As a thank you, Ms Njagi dedicated her Riverside Drive home to the church for Bible study,” he said.

TOOK OVER HOME

The family however claims that the church took over the home and turned it into its head office. It was vacated last week.

Mr Watenga however said that the church has no interest in Ms Njagi’s properties and will vacate if she so wishes.

Ms Njagi is said to be living in one of the apartments with Lily Muthoni Macharia, a member of the church. The family said  Ms Muthoni was appointed as a director of their sister’s property.

In her defence, Ms Muthoni told journalists that she noticed Ms Njagi was forgetful and took over her finances to keep her from being exploited. She claimed that she did it for free.

Source: Nairobi News

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Body of doctor who died in Cuba arrives

Published

on

The body of a Kenyan doctor who allegedly committed suicide due to frustrations in Cuba has arrived at the Moi International Airport in Mombasa.

After arrival, the body of Dr Ali Juma was scheduled to be taken to the Coast Provincial General Hospital for a second post-mortem examination.

Family, relatives, friends, politicians and senior officials of the Mombasa County government were Friday morning at the airport to receive the body.

Likoni MP Mishi Mboko, who is the doctor’s sister, could not contain herself as the body arrived.

The family said Thursday that they were yet to receive a reports on the post-mortem which was done in Cuba.

“Post-mortem to ascertain the cause of death was conducted in Havana. However, as a family we are yet to get the details of the findings; we are still in the dark,” said a family member.

“The body of the late Dr Ali Juma arrives in the morning (Friday). Burial [will be] in Shikadabu Likoni after Friday prayers, post-mortem [will be done] at CPGH in the morning. We are doing an independent post-mortem here,” said a family source.

Changamwe MP Omar Mwinyi, Rabai’s William Kamoti were among politicians at the airport who went to receive the body for burial.

County Chief Health Officer Khadija Shikely, Director of Media Services Shem Patta were among senior doctors in Mombasa at the airport.

Dr Juma was undertaking a postgraduate diploma in family medicine in Cuba.

His colleagues, friends and relatives are yet to come to come to terms with the fact that he could have taken his own life.

The Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU), led by Deputy Secretary-General Chibanzi Mwachonda, called for immediate termination of the doctors training in Cuba.

But in her tweet, Health Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki said she had dispatched a team to Cuba to facilitate the ongoing investigations on the death.

“[I] held a meeting with the Cuban Ambassador to Kenya, Ernesto Gomez Diaz, on the circumstances pertaining to the death of Dr Hamisi Ali Juma in Cuba. I have dispatched a team from the Ministry of Health to facilitate ongoing investigations in Havana,” Ms Kariuki said.

In a statement, KMPDU Secretary-General Ouma Oluga said that doctors had expressed their frustrations over non-payment of allowances.

Dr Oluga said the Kenyan embassy exhibits high-handedness when concerns are raised.

“It is ironical how Cuban doctors in Kenya receive royal treatment with chauffeured transport and lavish living funded by taxpayers’ money,” Dr Oluga added.

The union, which says the programme has not benefited the health workers, has recommended that the sponsorship be provided in Kenyan universities.

Governor Hassan Joho is expected at CPGH during the post-mortem examination.

source:nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

PHOTOS: Here’s the heartbreaking update of the Sh1b #KenyansForKenya initiative

Published

on

The Kenyans for Kenya hunger initiative in Turkana has come a cropper after projects developed under it were abandoned long time ago.

The famed project sponsored by the Kenya Red Cross in 2011 and supported by a number of corporate organisations and celebrities – and boosted by millions of Kenyans who contributed as little as Sh10 –  ran for only three years before it grounded.

More Sh700 million in cash and Sh300 million in kind were collected from the initiative and most of the money was invested in farm projects that were to serve as a long-term solution to the often deadly hunger in the arid county.

PR CAMPAIGN OF THE YEAR

Later, the initiative won Kenya Red Cross Society, Gina Din Corporate Communications, Safaricom Foundation and KCB Foundation the overall PR Campaign of the Year 2011 Award for their joint entry.

James Ngorpus shows a signpost at the Kenyans for Kenya Turkana North Food Security and Livelihood Project at Nakinomet. PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA

Nation journalists visited one of the abandoned farms in Nakinomet in Kibish Sub County on Thursday and found hundreds of rusting poles that once held shade nets for flourishing crops beneath them.

Black pipes that once let flow millions of litres of water into the farm have been destroyed and were strewn all over the farm. A wire mesh around it went down years ago.

Camels have since made the farm their home as they feed on the shrubs that have sprouted from it since it grounded in 2017.

Residents of Nakinomet village who benefitted from it said they had been thrown into starvation since the project went down.

“We cannot lie that we did not benefit from the project because we made money from the crops we planted here. We had enough for ourselves and then extra to sell,” said Mr James Ngorupus, who said he once made Sh12, 000 from crops he planted within the farm.

At least 30 residents were roped in by Red Cross to put up farms within the site. They planted tomatoes, sorghum, kales and some maize.

PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA|NMG

TANK MALFUNCTIONED

The residents said the nets that were protecting the crops from the scorching sun were torn and were not replaced. A pipe that let in water from a nearby tank also malfunctioned.

They are now using the torn nets to cover the rooftops of their manyattas.

“There were no deaths from hunger here when the project was on, now deaths are back. So far we have lost eight people to hunger this month alone,” said Mr Richard Ekal, one of the beneficiaries.

Eyanai Hezron (left) and Eyanai Elim show a water pipe at the abandoned Kenyans for Kenya Turkana North Food Security and Livelihood Project at Nakinomet. PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA

 

Continue Reading

News

Uhuru is offline. This is why

Published

on

You will not be able to follow, like or comment on President Kenyatta’s social media accounts, at least for now.

This is after the head of state suspended all his social media handles on Friday morning over hacking by some staff in his office.

The first to go was his Twitter account, @UKenyatta, with its 3.62 million followers and 12,300 tweets.

Moments later, his verified Facebook account, #Uhuru Kenyatta, was blacked out.

This sparked off speculation that one of Africa’s Twitter presidents had been suspended by the microblog.

But Mr Kenyatta had not violated any of the rules and Twitter was not giving that explanation for the missing account.

“Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!” that is the response Twitter was giving.

The rumours of Twitter taking action against the president were fanned by the fact that hours before the suspension, he had tweeted a stern warning on corruption.

“If you are corrupt we will fight you. You can be my brother or my sister or my closest political ally, but if you are corrupt we will fight you,” Mr Kenyatta tweeted from Windhoek, the Namibian capital, where he is on a state visit.

Analysis of comments by Kenyans on Twitter (KOT) shows that many believed an administrator with ill intentions had fired the tweet to put Mr Kenyatta at loggerheads with his deputy William Ruto.

Mr Ruto, Mr Kenyatta’s close ally and marriage partner in the ruling Jubilee Party, has made it clear that the ongoing war on grand corruption and brazen theft of public resources is targeting him and his 2022 presidential ambitions.

But after hours of speculation, his Chief Of Staff Nzioka Waita tweeted that the accounts had been deactivated.

“On account of unauthorised access to the official social media handles of H.E the President of the Republic of Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta .All official social media handles for the President have been temporarily suspended to allow for the necessary remedial measures to be undertaken,” he said.

It is not the first time social media accounts associated with the president, State House and his office are being hacked and misused.

In July 2018, two Twitter accounts; @PresidentKE and @PSCU_Digital, which had been used for disseminating information to the public on behalf of the president, were pulled down.

“In this regard and with immediate effect the only official digital media channels that will convey information for and on behalf of the President, Her Excellency the First Lady and State House are as detailed below: Twitter: @StateHouseKenya, @UKenyatta, @FirstLadyKenya @KanzeDena; Facebook: State House Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta, @Office of the First Lady Kenya,” Mr Waita said then.

President Kenyatta is the most followed leader in Sub-Saharan Africa on Twitter with more than three million followers.

This is according to a study released last year and dubbed Twiplomacy by Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW), an international communications agency.

SOURCE: nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!