Connect with us

News

VIDEO: How Echesa talked himself out of CS job

Published

on

The first sign that the continued stay of the sacked Sports Cabinet Secretary Rashid Echesa was no longer tenable was when President Uhuru Kenyatta publicly took him on at the mausoleum of the late opposition leader Jaramogi Oginga Odinga in Bondo last year.

In the company of ODM leader Raila Odinga and other aides, Mr Kenyatta was unhappy that the tomb looked deserted yet its maintenance falls under Mr Echesa’s docket.

Those who were present said Mr Odinga had to intervene to save him from the President’s wrath.

Today, he became the first minister to be outrightly sacked by the President. In the past, Mr Kenyatta has relieved ministers of their duties, but without saying so.

FEUD WITH RAILA

They have either been redeployed, or suffered a similar fate such as that of current Kajiado Governor Joseph ole Lenku who was replaced by the late Joseph Nkaissery without a word about his fate.

Mr Echesa has had endless gaffes, with the most notable one being his public spat with Mr Odinga.

He failed to read the signs of the time after his boss embraced Mr Odinga following the March 9 political truce at Harambee House.

The former minister dared Mr Odinga to go ahead and sack him if he thought he was the appointing authority.

While the truth is that Mr Odinga has no such powers, Mr Echesa may however want to reflect back to see where the rains may have started beating him.

“We have one Government led by Uhuru and William Ruto, and those are the only people I will pledge my priority to and not to you, Raila Odinga. I want to dare you Raila, if you have the appointing authority, come and sack me,” he said.

READ ALSO:   Odinga family opposed Raila ‘swearing-in’, says Oburu

POLITICKING
And recently when Mr Kenyatta warned his Cabinet members to concentrate on working and stop politicking, the minister was believed to be one of the targets.

Mr Echesa was fond of addressing rallies in western Kenya compared to his frequency of making policy statements.

“During today’s Cabinet meeting I reminded our Cabinet secretaries that there are many young Kenyans who are willing and ready to work if they felt they are not up to task.

“Those who have chosen to keep politicking instead of serving the people should be ready to give way,” President Kenyatta said on January 31.

At one point he asked ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi to forget about 2022 presidential ambitions arguing he could not raise Sh200 billion as campaign finance. He endorsed Dr Ruto’s candidacy.

Mr Echesa has been embroiled in a number of violent exchanges in western Kenya in the past, with the most notable being a face-off with Kakamega Senator Cleophas Malala in Mayoni where scores were injured and vehicles damaged.

MONEY LAUNDERING
Against swirling claims that he may have been involved in some inappropriate conduct and that the Directorate of Criminal Investigations was treating him as a person of interest in some live case, the former firebrand ODM youth leader warned that he would seek legal redress.

“I will sue anyone who accuses me of money laundering,” he said.

READ ALSO:   EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Raila arrives in London amid speculation over his next move

Another embarrassing moment for Mr Echesa came when eight Pakistani club dancers were arrested for being in the country illegally.

Defence lawyer Evans Ondieki told Senior Principal Magistrate Kennedy Cheruiyot that the girls who were arrested at Balle Balle Club in Parklands were in the country legally with full permission of Mr Echesa.

NUDE PHOTOS

In his supremacy fights with Senator Malala, he was also linked to manufactured nude photos allegedly of the lawmaker which were circulated online.

Last October, police at the KICC station summoned Mr Echesa after three journalists who had been arrested concerning the matter dragged his name in the saga.

“KICC police station has a reason to believe you, Hon Rashid Echesa, have information that may assist in investigation of [an] alleged offence [contrary to the] Cybercrimes Act 2018,” the summon read.

In August Mr Echesa was caught up in a near fist fight with Alego Usonga MP Samuel Atandi at Kisumu Airport.

The MP was reported to have started the argument with Mr Echesa over the CS’s comments linking Mr Odinga to an alleged plot to kick him out of the Cabinet.

After the incident, some of his colleagues complained that he was an embarrassment to the Cabinet.

RELATIONS
At ministerial level, reports have been abound that he had a poor working relationship with his juniors. Sports Principal Secretary Kirimi Kaberia was at some point forced to fight back claims that he had fallen out with the minister.

“I enjoy the best relationship with my CS because we are both tasked and determined to improve the state of sports in the country,” he said.

READ ALSO:   Raila leaves for Duke University in US, set to meet Kenyans in N Carolina

For the last one year he has sat in the Cabinet, Mr Echesa and controversy have been almost synonyms.

During his vetting, some MPs felt he was not the right man for the job. His humble education background was also subject of heated debate yet there is no education requirement for one to be appointed to the Cabinet.

The debate emanated from the fact that while there is no such requirement, an appointee expected to preside over complex matters needs to possess professional background that allows them to process delicate issues in the line of duty.

HIRSI FIRED
Meanwhile, this was the second time President Kenyatta was sacking Principal Secretary Fatuma Hirsi in less than a year.

In June last year the Head of State fired her as Tourism principal secretary.

In a letter dated May 30, 2018, Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua informed her that her contract was not renewed.

“Your employment contract has been terminated forthwith,” Mr Kinyua told her. “You will be paid your salary up to June 30, which will be your last working day.”

However, a month later when the President effected a mini Cabinet reshuffle he appointed her as principal secretary for Broadcasting.

Prior to her appointment to the Tourism docket in 2015, Ms Hirsi worked in the United Nation’s Universal Postal Agency.

Ms Hirsi, who hails from Wajir South, has previous experience in various companies including the Nation Media Group, Communications Authority of Kenya, and Gulf African Bank.

nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Diaspora

Blind 70-year-old Kenyan living in US pleads for help to return home – VIDEO

Published

on

Kenyans living in the diaspora have formed a WhatsApp group to try and help an elderly Kenyan man living in the United States to return home.

In a message shared in the Diaspora Messenger, a website that connects and updates the East African community abroad, the Kenyans have appealed to well-wishers to help Mr William Mwangi Kagwima, who is aged 70.

“One of our Kenyan brother, migrated to Worcester MA, in 1998. Like every other immigrant, he worked hard until last year when he started losing his eye sight and could not work anymore. He has endured severe hardship and has exhausted his savings. Mr Kagwima is requesting the community to send him back home to his family,” the notice reads in part.

They also shared a short video clip of Mr Kagwima speaking in Gikuyu and explaining how he ended up to be where he is today.s

source:nairobinews

READ ALSO:   Confusion as Raila re-edits his Twitter Bio 4 times within 12 hours
Continue Reading

News

Varsity student commits suicide in Kitui, leaves suicide note

Published

on

A 24-year-old fourth-year student at South Eastern Kenya University in Kitui on Friday committed suicide by hanging herself.

Her body was found dangling from the roof of her rented house at Kwa Vonza trading centre in Kitui Rural.

Lower Yatta OCPD Charles Chacha confirmed the morning incident, saying the student, who was pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree course in Information Technology, left behind a suicide note.

Dear mum and dad, I am sorry I had to do this. I love you guys so much, but I can’t take it any longer [sic]. Life has become unbearable. I cannot live like this anymore,” read the suicide note allegedly written by the deceased.

Alleged suicide note left by the 24-year-old South Eastern Kenya University student

The student’s body was taken to Kitui Level Four Hospital mortuary for preservation.

Meanwhile, the lifeless body of a 40-year-old man was found hanging from a tree near his homestead at Mwakini Village in the same area.

OCPD Chacha said the deceased had gone missing since Thursday as earlier reported by his wife.

He as well appealed to students and members of the public to desist from taking own lives but rather seek help from parents or counsellors when faced with life challenges.

READ ALSO:   NASA co-principals to meet amid claims of Raila intimidation

The two bodies were taken to Kitui Level Four Hospital morgue pending postmortem examination, police said.

source:ureport

 

Continue Reading

Business

How Diamond Lalji became a bankrupt millionaire

Published

on

Picture this: Your friend asks you to guarantee his/her sacco loan. You automatically agree because you know him/her well. Besides, the sacco is known to be flexible with defaulters.

Sadly, things don’t go according to plan, life gets tough and your friend defaults. But his/her assets are not enough to recover the loan, so the sacco comes after you and other guarantors.

PETITION

Unfortunately, you can’t pay up, so the sacco files a bankruptcy petition against you and succeeds.

Within no time, you’re declared flat broke and an insolvency practitioner appointed to run whatever little exists of your estate.

This scenario is now real for thousands of Kenyans following a court judgement that declared former Cereal Millers Association chairman Diamond Hasham Lalji bankrupt on March 1.

The tycoon, whose business empire boasts no fewer than 16 companies in various industries, failed to repay a $4.8 million (Sh480 million) debt three of his companies owed American grain bulk handler, Cargill.

On January 16, 2017, Mr Lalji agreed to guarantee three of his flour milling companies — Premier Flour Mills, Maize Milling Company and Milling Corporation of Kenya — which had owed Cargill since it supplied them with maize in 2012.

READ ALSO:   EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Raila arrives in London amid speculation over his next move

At the time, the three firms owed $5.2 million (Sh520 million). Milling Corporation owed Sh274.95 million, Premier Flour Mills Sh192.25 million and Maize Milling Sh48.95 million.

But after the businessman failed to pay up as agreed, Cargill filed an insolvency petition against him.

TITLE DEEDS

Mr Lalji on Friday filed an appeal against the bankruptcy order issued by Justice Francis Tuiyott.

The Court of Appeal will mention the case Monday and decide whether to suspend Justice Tuiyott’s order, as Mr Lalji looks to convince the appellate judges to dismiss the order permanently. Justice Tuiyott’s ruling is likely to create anxiety among loan guarantors, since they could meet a fate similar to Mr Lalji’s.

Justice Tuiyott ordered that Anthony Makenzi Muthui of Ernst & Young take the over management of Mr Lalji’s estate as a receiver manager to recover Cargill’s debt.

Usually, the appointment of a statutory manager to handle a bankrupt individual’s estate is left to the official receiver. But Justice Tuiyott held that the official receiver had accepted Cargill’s nomination of Mr Muthusi, and that Mr Lalji did not contest the arrangement.

Justice Tuiyott agreed with Cargill’s argument that Mr Lalji did not give adequate details on six parcels of land worth Sh330 million that he offered to sell to offset part of Cargill’s debt. The businessman faulted Cargill for turning down his repayment proposal, which included the six title deeds as security.

READ ALSO:   Confusion as Raila re-edits his Twitter Bio 4 times within 12 hours

DISCLOSURE

He also asked Justice Tuiyott to consider that his three firms had repaid Sh34 million since the insolvency petition was filed. But Cargill insisted that the Sh30 million was too little, since Mr Lalji had promised to pay Sh100 million.

Justice Tuiyott ruled that there was no evidence to verify the value of the land Mr Lalji pledged as security. “The identity of the properties to be sold is not disclosed and neither is a professional opinion of the value demonstrated. In the circumstances, a creditor would be rightly entitled to doubt the credibility of the proposal made.”

The court added that Mr Lalji’s failure to make a disclosure of all his assets and liabilities did not help his argument, because it is only upon such disclosure that the court can evaluate his ability to meet the offer. “And it cannot be ignored that the promise to pay the debt is by the very companies whose default led to the guarantee that has given rise to Mr Lalji’s apparent insolvency” Justice Tuiyott ruled.

Justice Tuiyott had ruled that Cargill was not unreasonable in turning down a repayment proposal by Mr Laji, which would have seen the debt repaid in instalments running through to April, 2023. After Cargill filed the insolvency petition, Mr Lalji proposed to give the firm the six pieces of land, which he was ready to sell, as security.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Angry Diaspora Kenyans take Uhuru head on over Miguna fiasco

source:nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!