Connect with us

News

American marine in court charged with insulting Jogoo road traffic cops

Published

on

A United States Marine soldier has been charged with causing public disturbance along Nairobi’s Jogoo road.

Kennedy Okemwa, 41, is said to have created the disturbance on 25th February at Makongeni police station after being locked up in the cells following his misconduct towards traffic cops. According to the police, he is said to have failed to fasten a safety belt on his way to the city centre when his vehicle was stopped.

Okemwa, a US citizen and whose job involves executing missions of honor to win battles in combat and communities, ironically failed to honor police command of belting up.

It is reported that when he was told that it was against traffic rules in Kenya, the accused allegedly turned violent and insulted the traffic cops leading to his arrest before being booked in. At the station, it is claimed that he continued shouting and threatening to break and destroy dwelling house belonging to station officers if he was not going to be released.

When he was arraigned, Okemwa pleaded not guilty and he was released on Sh20,000 cash bail. His case will be heard on July 22nd.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Former K24 Chief editor responds to claims of joining Citizen TV

Published

on

Peter Opondo who was the Chief editor at K24 was recently rumored to be headed back to Citizen TV! The story was sparked by his farewell post now that K24 is no longer operating following a few unknown details.

Being an experienced journalist, Mr Opondo was then rumored to have gone back to Citizen TV; but turns out that this was yet another baseless story as he called it.

Speaking to Kenyans.com who reached out for a comment, Mr Opondo brushed off the rumors saying;

Veteran Journalist, Peter Opondo

Those are stories created by some idle people in self isolation with frenzied minds and itchy fingers.

According to him, after the K24 incident he decided to take a long break as he goes back to the drawing board before he making his comeback. Mr Opondo said;

I am on much needed break as I recalibrate and you can take that to the bank as a guarantee for a loan

According to reports, Mr Opondo joined K24 back in 2018 after quitting his job at RMS. Before joining the station, Opondo had been handling matters involving editorial team as a whole,; guided his team to success and for the 2 years he helped change the station to a complete media house.

Farewell letter

In the farewell letter that left many emotional, Mr Opondo wrote saying;

We had our fights and make-ups, highs and lows, but at all times we kept the focus with a clear aspiration to win. It was all business- and also personal sometimes, you know! Even in difficult times, outsiders (like viewers) would never tell, we kept it in the family.

I applaud the teams, especially anchors, for holding a straight face- and even smiling- when there was a literal fire under your seats!

He went on to urge the former employees to keep their heads high as life has always been unpredictable.

The future may be uncertain, but so is life. I believe that somehow, somewhat the sun shall rise tomorrow. So smile, believe in yourself and keep doing what you do best.

BY Ghafla 

Continue Reading

News

Shock as another Kenyan athlete is banned for doping

Published

on

The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) handed Kenya’s long-distance runner Mikel Kiprotich Mutai a four-year ban on Friday for a doping offence.

Road runner Japhet Kipchirchir Kipkorir was also handed provisional suspension for a similar offence.

Mutai’s ban starts on March 20 for four years and his results dating back to December 15, 2019, will be nullified.

Mutai and another Kenyan star Alex Korio Oliotiptip were handed separate provisional suspensions for violating World Athletics anti-doping rules on May 1, 2020.

Mutai’s charge involved the presence of prohibited substances (Norandrosterone) while Oliotiptip was suspended due to whereabout failures.

Former world marathon record-holder Paul Tergat said in April criminalising doping will help end vice in the country.

Tergat stated the country must move with speed and create a new law that will criminalise the offence.

“We all ran clean and we want our current crop of athletes to run clean. There’s no shortcut to clean sports except training hard.

“So many things have been happening right, left and centre regarding doping in Kenya,” said Tergat.

Tergat, the National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOC-K) president, indicated athletes caught doping should serve jail time.

“Kenya now needs to be tough on dopers by criminalising their offences. They will suffer double loss to revenue and time in jail if they are found doping,” said Tergat.

“At the current rate, Kenya risks being banned from the Olympics or big city’s marathons. What we need to do is make the punishment for offenders more punitive.

This will also bar offenders from putting on our national colours and make them ineligible to compete elsewhere,” he added.

Current Kenyan law stipulates a jail term of up to three years for support staff found guilty in connection with doping, but not for athletes.

From 2004 to August 2018, 138 Kenyan athletes tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, according to a WADA report published in September 2018.

With their high number of dopers, Kenya was placed under category A on the list of countries being watched together with Nigeria, Ethiopia, Bahrain, Morocco, Ukraine and Belarus.

By Game Yetu!

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus shocker: Health ministry can’t trace 140 positive people

Published

on

The government on Friday gave a shock admission that it was unable to trace 140 people who have tested positive for Covid-19.

Health Director-General Patrick Amoth lamented that the 140 who tested positive in the ongoing mass testing had given wrong contact information.

“This is a critical group of people who gave us wrong contacts and eventually the long arm of the law will catch up with them,” Dr Amoth said.

However, he did not divulge where they are located or when they were tested.

He added that at the same time, 130 positive cases were being managed from home with follow-up from the health workers.

This comes just days after the government said it had been left frustrated by individuals who gave false personal details while testing for Covid-19.

Giving wrong contact details

Health chief administrative secretary Rashid Aman said some people were deliberately giving wrong contact details and can therefore not be traced after the tests.

Dr Aman emphasised on the importance of giving correct information to assist in contact tracing.

“We have noted a disturbing behaviour and a dangerous one at that. It pertains to persons giving false contacts during targeted testing. We have talked about this in the last two briefings and I want to reiterate that it is important to give accurate information. Because it is only through this contact tracing is possible,” Dr Aman said.

“Providing wrong information means such individuals are continuing to spread the virus to their loved ones, friends and the community.”

On Thursday, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe warned Covid-19 patients not to engage in a cat and mouse chase with the government, after being put in isolation.

The CS was responding to claims that a man in Thika seen to have been exhibiting Covid-19 like symptoms is at large.

The Health CS challenged all Kenyans to be their brother’s keepers and report anyone who is sick and could be having coronavirus and refusing to get help.

“Serikali iko na mkono mrefu itakutafuta tuu pale ulipo kwa hivyo wewe rudi, nenda kea daktari, nenda isolation and you will be fine and we will pray for you even if you are a sinner,” Mr Kagwe explained.

BY NN

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!