Connect with us

News

Cholera hits The Nairobi Hospital, one staff dead, 7 admitted

Published

on

A Nairobi Hospital staff has died and seven others are admitted following a cholera outbreak at the premier health facility in the Kenyan capital.

The eight employees work in the hospital’s catering department and offer services at the staff canteen.

The male worker died on Tuesday morning after what his colleagues said was “a short illness.”

Sources at the hospital on Tuesday told the Nation that at least 23 cases of the water-borne disease, eight involving staff, had been treated at the facility in April alone.

The hospital’s cafeteria has been closed indefinitely as the management battles to contain the spread of the outbreak.

A source privy to the information and who requested anonymity because he is not authorised to issue press statements said they have been treating cholera cases on a daily basis.

“The hospital has been handling cholera cases day in day out but now there is an outbreak and the staff are affected. We are treating it seriously. The investigation is on,” said the source.

But in a statement, the hospital’s management on Tuesday denied any internal outbreak, meaning the cases could have come for outside.

“There is an upsurge of cholera cases in Nairobi. We have had several cases admitted in our hospital. Unfortunately, we had eight of our staff affected,” said the statement.

READ ALSO:   Mombasa on high Cholera alert as Nairobians flock the coast for Easter

It continues: “There is no outbreak of cholera in the hospital. No patient is at risk and we are continuously monitoring.”

However, what is not clear from the statement is why the cafeteria managed by the hospital was closed and how the eight staff got the bacteria.

The statement also does not tell if one of their own died from the disease.

Sources told the Nation that late last month, teachers from Riara group of schools were admitted to the hospital with symptoms of the disease.

Three children from were also suspected to have cholera.

Nairobi County health officials later directed referral hospitals within the city to reactivate their cholera treatment units following confirmation of the outbreak in the city.

In a letter dated March 21 and addressed to all county medical superintendents, Nairobi County Director of Health Lucina Koyio said that all sub counties in the capital were on a high alert.

“The county is experiencing a wave of cholera outbreak which was confirmed on March 20. In this regard, I am requesting all referral hospitals to reactivate their cholera treatment units to prevent the spread of the disease,” said Dr Koyio.

“All sub-counties should be on high alert and treat all suspected cases of cholera as cholera cases. Please also reactivate your sub county response teams,” said Dr Koyio.

READ ALSO:   Nairobi cholera could be from Mlolongo as 14 cases reported

Nairobi estates rocked by Cholera outbreak and were on high alert were Donholm, Nyayo Estate, Tassia, Avenue 1-3, Pipeline, South B and the surrounding areas, including Mlolongo (Great Wall) in Machakos County.

source: nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Magistrate fundraises for woman who stole weave to look pretty

Published

on

A court has contributed money to settle the debt of a woman who stole weaves worth Sh1,140. Karyn Chelagat from Kilifi said she stole the weaves because she wanted to look as beautiful as other women.

She told Resident Magistrate David Odhiambo she is poor and could not afford the weave.Amid sobs, Chelagat was accused of stealing from a supermarket in Mtwapa on Sunday.

“I stole the weaves from the supermarket because I wanted to look beautiful like other women I see around. I had gone to the supermarket to buy one but upon looking at the price tag, I was disappointed to find it was too expensive,” she said.”So I decided to steal it.”

She added that poverty has stopped her from grooming herself and ‘looking beautiful’.“When I came to town I saw women sporting good hair and wearing quality make-up. I wanted to be like them.”

Odhiambo decided against convicting her and instead requested the court to contribute the Sh1,140.“I request that the lawyers present in court and anyone willing to contribute at least Sh100 to compensate the supermarket and help raise some funds to help this woman.”

Lawyer William Bosire gave out Sh2,000 to settle Chelagat’s debt and keep her from staying in jail for two years or paying a Sh50,000 fine.Odhiambo also directed the investigating officer to return the stolen weaves to the supermarket and hand over the Sh2,000 to Chelagat for food and the debt.

READ ALSO:   Mombasa on high Cholera alert as Nairobians flock the coast for Easter

By Standard.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

UoN student left for the dead after alleged beating by varsity guards

Published

on

A student at University of Nairobi was over the weekend allegedly battered by guards at the College of Architecture.

Students Organisation of Nairobi University (Sonu) chair Ann Mvurya accused the security guards, attached to Lavington Security Limited,  of beating Kelvin Ochieng despite his efforts to prove that he was a student.

The operations manager of Lavington Security Limited confirmed the incident to Nairobi News.

Ms Mvurya told journalists that Kelvin had even logged to his student portal and confirmed that he was a student of registration number D33/83354/2017.

“He had already logged in to his portal to confirm that he is indeed a student but the ignorant security guards, after failing to understand how a portal operates, started beating him up,” she said.

Ms Mvurya claimed the guards stole Sh3,200 from the student before ‘stripping him with an aim of covering their heinous acts’.

The student sustained deep head cuts and was taken to the University Health Service (UHS) dispensary.

“This is uncalled for and should be brought to an end,” she said.

By Nairobinews

READ ALSO:   Mombasa on high Cholera alert as Nairobians flock the coast for Easter
Continue Reading

News

Ex-KRA boss Njiraini, Murugi shortlisted to head National Land Commission

Published

on

Former Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) Commissioner General John Njiraini is among the 11 candidates shortlisted for the chairperson of the National Land Commission.

Njiraini, who had sat at the helm of  KRA since March 2012, left last month after his term expired.

Former Nyeri MP Esther Murugi has also been listed as a contender for the NLC Board top seat that fell vacant when Mohammed Swazuri’s tenure ended.

Swazuri’s tenure was tainted with controversies and culminated in several arrests and subsequent arraignment.

On Tuesday, an advertisement in the local daily also named other candidates shortlisted for NLC Board Chairperson as Mwenda Makathimo (Executive Director of the Land Development & Governance Institute); prominent lawyer Gershom Otachi; Naomi Wagereka (former Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Chairperson); Robert Kilimo, Patrick Adolowa, Humphrey Njuguna, Paul Wambua, Tiyah Ali (Isiolo County MP) and Gershom Bw’Omanwa.

According to the National Land Commission, the above candidates were shortlisted from 117 applications which the commission received.

Notable personalities who were shortlisted for membership positions include Francis Nderitu (Ndaragwa MP), Prof Gitile Naituli and Adan Abdi Mohamed (former National Cohesion and Integration Committee (NCIC) commissioners), Boniface Otsyula (Bumula MP), Alex Muthengi (former Tharaka MP) and Omingo Magara (former South Mugirango MP).

The candidates are required to appear before an interview panel starting 7:30a.m on Monday, July 29.

READ ALSO:   Mombasa on high Cholera alert as Nairobians flock the coast for Easter

Upon interviews, two qualified applicants for the position of chairperson will be shortlisted and 16 for members, then forwarded to the President.

The President is then expected to nominate the chairperson and eight members within 14 days, then forward to the National Assembly for vetting within 21 days.

Should Parliament approve the names within seven days, they will be again forwarded to the President, who will then appoint them through a Gazette notice.

Continue Reading

Do you want to own an affordable home in Kenya?

Are you looking for a Church to fellowship in Atlanta Metro Area?

poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!