Connect with us

News

One-sided love that caused Wangechi her life

Published

on

The Sh14,000 he sent her for a birthday party could have been the last straw that led Mr Naftali Njahi Kinuthia to kill the woman of his dreams.

Speaking to detectives on Wednesday, Mr Kinuthia said he was angered by Ms Ivy Wangechi’s adamant refusal to be his girlfriend, although he had sent her money on several occasions.

Speaking at the High Dependency Unit at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) where he was admitted after he was attacked by the public after killing her, he said he sent Ms Wangechi Sh14,000 last week for her birthday party, which should have been held on Wednesday.

“He said he was angry that she continued to ignore his calls, saying it was not the first time he was sending her money, and that he was not happy to be denied a chance to celebrate her birthday,” said Eldoret East Directorate of Criminal Investigations Officer Ali Kingi.

Mr Kingi said Mr Kinuthia pestered Ms Wangechi for a meeting but she was reluctant and at some point switched off her phone.

“He said he felt disrespected after all the love he had shown her and decided to go and buy an axe in town and sharpen it as he prepared to attack her,” added Mr Kingi.

He then monitored her movements before striking at around 10.30am on Tuesday.

Eldoret East OCPD Lucy Kananu said: “He attacked her from the back and then descended on her, killing her. The axe was so sharp and heavy she did not have any chance of survival,” said Ms Kananu.

READ ALSO:   Ivy Wangechi's suspected killer discharged from hospital

The detectives also confiscated some drugs found in his car for testing to ascertain what they were and whether he had taken them before attacking Ms Wangechi.

The two, who were childhood friends, grew up in the same area and went to the same primary school.

Their parents, who know each other well, arrived in Eldoret on Wednesday to follow-up on the matter but refused to comment.

But detectives said the parents said they were aware of the friendship between Ms Wangechi and Mr Kinuthia.

Ms Wangechi, who joined university in 2012, was due to graduate this year with a bachelor’s degree in medicine.

The former Alliance Girls High School student scored straight As in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, earning herself easy admission to study medicine, which was her first choice.

The Dean of the School of Medicine, Prof Lukoye Atwoli, on Wednesday described Ms Wangechi as a good, hardworking student who was progressing well in her final year.

“She was an A student. She was hardworking. We normally rate our students as either pass or fail and Wangechi was doing well,” he said.

He also urged people to stop spreading rumours about her and appealed to them to be considerate to her family and her friends.

“I would like to tell people who are writing and sharing those lies about her to stop. We are urging people to be sensitive to her family, her friends and those close to her,” Prof Atwoli told the Nation.

Former classmates of Ivy Wangechi, who was killed in Eldoret on Tuesday, hold a vigil at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital on April 10, 2019. PHOTO | JARED NYATAYA | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Her classmates who spoke to the Nation on Wednesday painted a picture of a student who was serious about her studies and was keen to graduate and become a doctor.

READ ALSO:   I am sorry for comments I made about Ivy Wangechi — Homeboyz Radio presenter Didge

Away from class, the ever-jovial woman liked socialising with colleagues and was open with them.

One of her close friends said she was not the kind of person to keep a problem to herself.

“She was our classmate. She was beautiful and brilliant. She did quite well in school,” said Ms Vulavu Serena, the class representative.

Her friends said they were shocked by the stories being spread about her on social media.

“The Wangechi we know as our classmate is sociable, considerate and always ready to listen and help. I feel sad when I see people talk so badly about her,” said Mr Rodgers Abidha, another classmate.

Another friend who requested anonymity said he enjoyed supper with Ms Wangechi a fortnight ago in a hotel in Eldoret town, and she confided in him that a man who had been stalking her had threatened to kill himself if she continued to reject his advances.

“She did not appear scared, but I told her not to dismiss such threats. I told her people who threaten to commit suicide might do something sinister before doing so,” he told the Nation.

The student said that after she told him about Mr Kinuthia’s threat, she became reclusive and started avoiding her colleagues.

“We always chatted freely and she was so lively but for the past two weeks, after she told me about the suicide threat, she became quiet and withdrawn. I would text her and she would only reply hours later, unlike before,” he said. His attempts to find out what was bothering her were fruitless.

READ ALSO:   Hundreds attend Ivy Wangechi's funeral in Nyeri

Before she became withdrawn, she had shared with the friend how the man had become so obsessed with her that he had travelled to Eldoret on a number of occasions to meet her.

He said Ms Wangechi told them she had refused to see Mr Kinuthia but he would wait at the gate for hours and leave without seeing her.

Mr Kinuthia is also said to have sent her money on several occasions, even after she asked him not to.

The friend said that early this year, Ms Wangechi told him that Mr Kinuthia had sent her an expensive perfume and a mobile phone with a note expressing his love for her.

“It was an expensive perfume, that is what I remember Wangechi telling me. The phone must have cost about Sh10,000,” he said.

MTRH Chief Executive Officer Wilson Aruasa said Mr Kinuthia was operated on the head to save his life after he was stoned by the public.

source:nation.co.ke

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Grieving husband of train worker who died after being spat at reacts as police drop case

Published

on

The grieving husband of railway worker who died from coronavirus after being spat at has spoken of his sadness after find out police will take no further action.

Belly Mujinga, 47, was with a colleague on the concourse of London’s Victoria Station when a man who said he was infected with Covid-19 spat at them.

Both women fell ill with the virus within days of the attack on March 22, and Ms Mujinga died in hospital in Barnet on April 5 – leaving a widower and an 11-year-old daughter called Ingrid.

Today British Transport Police (BTP) said detectives had conducted extensive inquiries and concluded her death was not linked to her being spat.

Detectives had reviewed CCTV, spoke to witnesses and interviewed a 57-year-old man who will face no further action.

Lusamba has spoken of his sadness (Image: PHILIP COBURN)

Heartbroken Lusamba Gode Katalay, told the PA news agency: “The police came and told me the CCTV does not prove anything.

“I do not know how strong I am to hear that. It is very sad for us.”

Asked whether he felt he would be able to get justice for his wife, Mr Katalay said: “I need to speak more with my family first.”

In a statement, BTP said: “On 11 May, it was reported to BTP that a 47-year-old lady, Belly Mujinga, had been spat and coughed at while working in the ticket hall with two colleagues on 21 March.

READ ALSO:   Ivy Wangechi's suspected killer discharged from hospital
The 47-year-old died on April 5 (Image: PHILIP COBURN)

“Following a review of all the information, senior detectives have concluded that there is no evidence to substantiate any criminal offences having taken place, and that the tragic death of Belly Mujinga was not a consequence of this incident.

“As a result, the matter will not be referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.”

Detective Chief Inspector Sam Blackburn said: “I know the loss of Belly has moved so many people, and I can assure you we have done everything we can to provide answers for her family.

“As a result of our inquiries, we can now be confident that this incident did not lead to Belly’s tragic death.”

Belly with her daughter Ingrid (Image: PA)

Angie Doll, managing director of Southern Railway and Gatwick Express, said: “While we note the BTP’s conclusions, this does not detract from the tragic loss of our colleague.”

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of the Transport Salaried Staffs Association, of which Belly was a member, said: “We are pleased that the British Transport Police investigated this incident as it sends a very strong message that abuse and attacks directed at transport workers are always unacceptable.

“What is clear is that protective equipment is absolutely vital to protect frontline workers like Belly. All transport workers on the front line should have access to masks, visors, hand sanitiser and other protective equipment.”

READ ALSO:   Hundreds attend Ivy Wangechi's funeral in Nyeri

Last week Mr Katalay said his wife’s death had “destroyed the whole world for him and his daughter”.

The grieving dad with his daughter Ingrid (Image: PHILIP COBURN)

The 60-year-old spoke out after the Home Secretary Priti Patel pledged to double the maximum common assault jail sentence to 12 months for anyone who spits at a key worker.

Recalling her final days he said his wife of five years begged him not to allow Ingrid to see her in her hospital bed during a video call which was to be their last.

“She told me that she didn’t want Ingrid to see her like that. She said, ‘Pray for me’,” he said.

The former BBC journalist was on medication and had respiratory problems following surgery four years ago so when she told her doctor what had happened to her a few days later she was advised to self-isolate at home for three months because she was vulnerable.

When she started becoming unwell she took paracetamol before switching to oxygen but after her condition failed to improve she called an ambulance.

Her elderly mum was stuck in the African Democratic Republic of Congo, where the couple are both from, unable to say a final goodbye to her daughter.

A fundraising page for Ms Mujinga’s family has seen more than £43,000 pledged.

READ ALSO:   I am sorry for comments I made about Ivy Wangechi — Homeboyz Radio presenter Didge

By Mirror.co.uk

Continue Reading

News

Police hunt for couple in death of man during fight

Published

on

Police in Trans-Nzoia have launched a manhunt for a couple allegedly behind the death of a man who had gone to separate them during a fight.

The 23-year-old man identified as Kennedy Nyikuri Simiyu, who sustained serious stab wounds on his left hip and back, died 15 metres from the scene.

According to the village elder,Julia Mumbi, the couple was physically fighting at around 10pm on Wednesday and Simiyu being their neighbour, went to intervene when he met his untimely death.

Neighbours say the two took off immediately after the fatal incident.

Trans Nzoia County police boss Ayub Ali said officers are hunting for suspects to face justice.

“We are looking for the two individuals whom we believe are hiding somewhere but soon they will be caught by arm of law,” said Ali.

The body of the victim was removed to Kitale County Referral Hospital mortuary.

By Nation.co.ke

READ ALSO:   I am sorry for comments I made about Ivy Wangechi — Homeboyz Radio presenter Didge
Continue Reading

News

Linus Kaikai set to leave Citizen TV and join KTN, Again -Sources

Published

on

One of Kenya’s leading media personality, Linus Kaikai, who joined Citizen TV in 2018 from NTV has reached a deal to rejoin KTN after 11 years since he left, according to very reliable sources.

Kaikai left KTN in 2009 where he served as Managing Editor in charge of Quality and Product Development to join NTV as its head.

He left NTV in February 2018 after a protracted battle with Nation Media Group’s top management over handling of the mock swearing-in of NASA leader Raila Odinga.

It is not yet clear what position he is destined for at KTN, but his arrival will rock the boat. First he will have to take up someone’s job, if not powers, and retune the KTN team, which is emerging from a bruising talent war that forced it to build a new team of anchors from scratch.

Elsewhere, another shake-up of the television industry is looming, as high ranking editors are expected to change positions. According to information, the latest changes will affect Citizen TV, KTN and K24.

Already, at K24, Peter Opondo, who has been overseeing TV and radio, has left. Mr Opondo is reportedly headed back to Royal Media Services, which runs Citizen TV, two years after joining Mediamax.

READ ALSO:   Hundreds attend Ivy Wangechi's funeral in Nyeri

RMS has been feeling the financial pains of maintaining a star-studded team, which blows millions of shillings every month in salaries and allowances. The stars at RMS include Jeff Koinange, Linus Kaikai, Joy Ageyo, Victoria Rubadiri and Yvonne Okwaro, among others, all poached from rival stations few years ago.

According to Business Today, word has it that RMS Editorial Director Joy Ageyo may have to give way for Opondo in the new scheme of things. It will be interesting how things work out or if, as it’s being rumoured, Ageyo will quit.

KTN editorial department is currently headed by Ellen Wanjiru as Managing Editor for broadcast, while Joe Munene is the managing director.

Business Today reports that Kaikai, who could take up either of these positions or get one created for him, could move with the News Gang programme which he initiated at Citizen TV.

KTN recently surprised many when it signed a partnership deal with  its rival,K24, on news and programming.

 

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!