Connect with us


Slain student ‘was in a relationship with killer’



A university student who was hacked to death in Eldoret was romantically involved with a 29-year-old man suspected of killing her, a woman has claimed.

The woman, who claimed to be the suspect’s mother, told The Standard her son had on numerous occasions showed her photos of the victim, Ivy Wangechi.

Ms Wangechi was slashed to death yesterday outside the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH), Eldoret, as she walked with her friends.

“They had been in a relationship even before my son got a job and the woman joined school. He even wanted to marry her, but it seems they began having issues,” the woman said.

She added: “I have never met the lady, but he used to show me her photos on phone… but recently, he came to me saying they had parted ways, a move which I told him was in the right direction because of their relationship issues.

”The woman said her son had never shown signs of being temperamental to the extent of killing someone and she was shocked by the incident.“It is so unusual of him because he cannot do such an act. What perturbs me is that he did not share with anyone about his trip to Eldoret, yet we were with him yesterday in Nairobi at 8pm and he had not closed shop at a business where he works,” she said.

She suggested that the two might have tried to work out their differences before the incident.“He is my firstborn son and he has been working hard to earn a living. I am yet to come to terms with what he did.

His father and uncle are on their way to Eldoret to piece up details of the incident,” she said yesterday.

The suspect’s brother, a patient at MTRH, confirmed there having been a relationship between the killer and Wangechi.

“I have never met her, but my eldest brother used to speak about her saying she is in Eldoret. He had photos of them in his phone,” he claimed.

The suspect is said to have hacked Wangechi with an axe and a knife. The student succumbed to her injuries in hospital.

According to witnesses, Wangechi finished doing ward rounds at MTRH at about 10am and she left the facility in the company of her friends when the assailant accosted her from behind.

The assailant cut her on the neck using a knife and when boda boda operators who were nearby tried to intervene, he fished out an axe from a white gunny bag.

“He was smartly dressed and the sight of the axe and knife he was holding scared most of us from approaching him,” said Stanley Mutai, a resident who arrived at the scene soon after the student was attacked.

The suspect is said to have then hit Wangechi with the axe and run towards the school of dentistry.

“The public followed him, pelting him with stones, until he fell. That is when police arrived at the scene and rescued the assailant before rushing him to MTRH because he had suffered injuries on the head,” said Mr Mutai.

Students marched to Eldoret central police station.“It is a sad day for our colleagues because we have lost a final-year student who has persevered for seven years due to prolonged strike only for her life to be cut short under mysterious circumstances,” said Michael Maina, who was Wangechi’s class representative.

“The incident has exposed loopholes in our security system and our safety. We hope that we shall not witness another occurrence in future,” he added.

The suspect is said to have travelled from Thika and yesterday parked his vehicle next to the institution’s main entrance.

He went to Eldoret town using a boda boda, bought the knife and axe and concealed them in a gunny bag before heading back to MTRH.Police impounded the suspect’s car. The suspect’s brother confirmed that the car was his.

The suspect worked for a betting company.

Moi University Vice Chancellor Isaac Kosgey urged students to remain calm as police investigate.

“We have lost one of us who was attacked by an unknown individual outside the referral. We have already contacted the family,” he said. “Learn to manage relationships,” Prof Kosgey told the students.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Amina Abdi quietly quits troubled Capital FM



Capital FM presenter Amina Abdi Rabar has called it quits at the station which had recently been hit by a massive exodus of presenters.

Amina’s exit was not announced neither did she tell her listeners that she was leaving the station she had worked for for almost a decade.

In the last few weeks, Fareed Khimani who returned to Capital FM last year, has been hosting the morning show alone and disclosed tha there will be a new co-host who will be joining him soon.

“Amina Abdi will not be returning and I will be joined soon by a new co-host. She has gone to do big and better things,” he said.

Amina, who is a vivid social media user, did not tell her followers that she was leaving her morning show leaving many to speculate on what exactly transpired between her and station owned by city billionaire Chris Kirubi.

Her social media pages showed that she had deleted almost everything to do with the media house only leaving the material she promotes and the show she hosts on NTV, The Trend.

Her departure from Capital fm comes just a month after another long time presenter Miano Muchiri left, and unlike the quiet departure by Amina, he said he was leaving his mid-morning show which he had hosted for more than a decade.

“The time has come to say goodbye to radio I would love it if you tuned in tomorrow one last time from 10:00-14:00,” he told his listeners then.

In mid-2019, the media house lost a host of its top talents, including radio host Anita Nderu who resigned saying she felt she had given her best and wanted new challenges.

Others who left the station are Web Editor and lifestyle writer/photographer Susan Wong, who resigned in January 2019 to return to her Canadian home and popular presenter Laura Walubengo, who quit in July 2018.

Others who also left were veteran presenters like Maqbul Mohammed, Cess Mutungi and My Two Cents co-hosts Sharon Mundia.

by NN

Continue Reading


Kiraitu Murungi wants Infotrack investigated over extortion




After coming in as among the worst performing governors, Meru Governor, Kiraitu Murungi, has demanded investigations into Infotrak.

The Meru Governor rubbished the study, claiming that the study was fabricated.

He demanded that the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission investigated the firm over extortion.

Murungi said that they had asked him to pay Ksh 3 million for a more favourable score.

“Let them look at Infotrak. I am ready to go there and give evidence that they were asking for Ksh 3 million so that they can give us a better number,” he said.

In the poll, released on Wednesday, October 28th, Murungi ranked 38th out of the 47 county governors.

He got a score of 46.7 per cent.

He was in the company of Homa Bay governor, Cyrpian Awiti, a perennial underachiever.

There were also Nyamira Governor, John Nyagarama and Patrick Khaemba, of Trans Nzoia.

Also in the bottom were Dhadho Godhana, of Tana River, Granton Samboja of Taita Taveta, Mohamad Mahamud of Wajir and Mohamed Kuti of Isiolo.

Former Kiambu Governor, Ferdinand Waititu ranked dead last in the poll, with Moses Lenolkulal of Samburu ranking 46th.

Infotrak took the study from 2019 over to 2020.

Hence, the reason why Waititu, who is now impeached, is in the poll.

Oparanya ranked as the best performing governor, taking to spot with 82.3 per cent, while Makueni Governor, Kivutha Kibwana, came in third.

Kibwana, who faces widespread admiration for how he runs Makueni County, scored 74.4 per cent.

In second place was Salim Vurya from Kwale with 77.1 per cent.

Fourth place had Anyang’ Nyong’o, who scored 65.9 per cent.

The polling did set off another discussion among the political elite.

As with the MP ranking, done by the same company, some governor, just like Murungi, claimed extortion from Infotrak.

Infotrak has repeatedly denied extorting from politicians.

Continue Reading


Tanzania: Tundu Lissu denounced Presidential results




Tanzania’s Opposition leader, Tundu Lissu, has said that he will not accept the Presidential results, citing rigging.

Tanzania went into elections on October 28th, in one of the most hotly contested elections in the country.

However, the elections were marred by claims of violence, voter suppression and outright rigging.

Speaking at a presser on Thursday, Lissu said that he would not accept defeat due to the irregularities in the elections.

Lissu is the strongest of the other 14 candidates that ran against Magufuli.

“As far as we are concerned there is no election that has taken place. We shall not accept the results and so far we have asked Tanzanians to gather in large numbers for mass action and reject the results,” Lissu said.

Lissu was contesting on the Chadema party against Magufuli’s Chama Cha Mapinduzi.

CCM has been the ruling party in Tanzania since the country’s independence in 1961.

Lissu, though, says that the results do not reflect the will of the Tanzanians that showed up to vote.

Preliminary results show that Magufuli is well ahead of the other 14 Presidential candidates.

“We do not recognise what happened yesterday…because it was marred by irregularities. The results that have been announced since yesterday and which the Electoral Commission continues to announce today are, therefore, illegitimate. They do not reflect the true will of the millions of Tanzanian people who turned up at polling stations.” Lissu said.

Magufuli has come under fire for dictatorship tendencies, and that has been evident in the build up to this elections.

Yesterday, during the voting process, the government shut down the internet in Tanzania.

Furthermore, Lissu had his campaigns suspended over claims of violence.

Magufuli has also shut down several TV and radio stations which are critical of his regime or say something that contradicts the government’s position.

Continue Reading


Like us on Facebook, stay informed


2020 Calendar