Connect with us

News

Split in family as lawyer’s son buried quietly at city cemetery

Published

on

Mr Joseph Nyakundi, the slain son of prominent city lawyer Assa Nyakundi, was yesterday buried in a low-key ceremony at Lang’ata Cemetery in Nairobi.

The lawyer, who reportedly shot his son accidentally, was missing from both the funeral service and the burial. Relatives said he is still being treated for low blood pressure at Nairobi Hospital.

It is still not clear whether police plan to charge him. Nyakundi’s burial in a public cemetery, and his father’s absence, were attributed to a possible split in the family.

According to customs, as an unmarried adult male from the Abagusii, he should have been buried at his father’s farm in Ngoso village, Kitutu Chache, Kisii County.

Mr Joseph Nyakundi

 

Lawyer Assa Nyakundi

But some family members told the Nation that the lawyer’s wife, Ms Lydia Apungu, and his eldest son, Mr Noah Nyakundi, opposed the idea.

At the International Christian Church on Mombasa Road where the final rites began, the service was brief.

Bishop Philip Kitoto, who conducted the service, asked the congregants to stop speculating about the death and instead allow investigative agencies to do their work.

“Nobody knows what happened,” said the bishop.

“Remember that people’s words can separate families. Instead of speculating, why can’t we take this chance to thank God for the life of Joseph?” he added.

READ ALSO:   Brother to city lawyer who fatally shot son speaks

It is not yet clear whether the police have recorded a statement from the lawyer on the shooting.

The Starehe Directorate of Criminal Investigations Office, which provided daily updates on the investigation during the first week after the murder, has gone silent.

However, information available from detectives investigating the case has shown a number of inconsistencies between what the lawyer initially told the police and their findings. For instance, his claim that he shot his son while inside the car has been contradicted by the postmortem report.

Family of the late Joseph Nyakundi, son of top city lawyer Assa Nyakundi throw soil onto his grave during his burial at the Langata Cemetery on April 02, 2019. Picture by Francis Nderitu|NMG

The postmortem revealed that Joseph, the victim as a result of “chest injuries and haemorrhage due to a gunshot that was shot at an angle of 90 degrees.”

“The shot projection from the chest exiting at the back suggested that the bullet was released from outside the car,” said the report.

The lawyer had also told the police that his glock pistol had 14 bullets, only for the gun to be found with 13 bullets during a forensic examination.

However, without a written statement on what transpired from the lawyer, the police cannot fully investigate the death since they need the accounts of all the people of interest.

READ ALSO:   How investigators attempted to cover up lawyer Nyakundi in son’s murder case

source:Daily Nation

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee named the new Harambee Stars coach

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Celebrated coach and media personality Jacob Ghost Mulee has made a return to the National team.

This comes just a day after Head coach Francis Kimanzi and his entire technical team was shown the door.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) confirmed the appointment of Jacob ‘Ghost’ Mulee and has since unveiled him.

Mulee first assignment is to prepare the team that will face Comoros in AFCON Qualifier match that’s set to be played in November.

Kimanzi left the scene after he masterminded what had been tipped to be an unlikely friendly win against Zambia on October 9 at Nyayo Stadium.

He was appointed in 2019 to replace Sebastien Migne who he worked with as an assistant coach.

Mulee return reminds Kenyans when national team charges helped to qualify for the 2004 Afcon edition in Tunisia.

He is also credited to have mentored the current J1 League top scorer Michael Olunga and his appointment has provided an opportunity for the duo to work again at national level.

Under Nick Mwendwa Mulee becomes the fifth coach to have been appointed since he took office in 2016.

Stanley Okumbi took over in February 2016 and exited in October 2017 while Paul Put who led Kenya to Cecafa title took over in November 2017 and left in February 2018.

READ ALSO:   Nyakundi's son: Wife now wants husband set free over son’s killing

Migne who led the country to the 2019 Afcon finals but, a Chan qualifying setback against Tanzania saw him part ways with the team on mutual consent paving the way for Kimanzi’s rise to the helm.

Kimanzi remained in charge from August 2019 to October 20, 2020, and he left just days after Mwendwa had secured another four-year term as the FKF president.

Mulee and his technical bench are expected to help Harambee Stars fight for back-to-back Afcon qualifications with two matches against Egypt and Togo already played.

Continue Reading

News

Lolani Kalu lands lucrative TV job 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

Former NTV journalist Lolani Kalu is set to make TV comeback after landing a job in a local upcoming TV station.

The talented journalist made headlines a month ago after his plight after retirement was highlighted with his fans calling on the public to come to his rescue.

Speaking to fellow journalists today, Lolani disclosed that he had just signed a one-year contract with TV47 that will see him become coast regional reporter for the station.

According to the 57-year old, the opportunity came after his fans saw him shooting a personal show with one of the artists he was interviewing having TV47 branding.

The excited fans then called the station to find out if he had signed a deal with them and that is what prompted the young TV station to hand Lolani the contract.

He said that he was very grateful and delighted for having another chance in media, adding that the opportunity to work with the station will help him get back on his feet after financial constraints in recent years.

Lolani hopes to revive some of the shows he had while still on NTV like Gumzo Mtaani and Malinmwengu na Lolani at TV47.

READ ALSO:   ‘I’ve lost everything’: Lawyer in son’s fatal shooting speaks out

He further promised to give back to his fans who came in scores to support him when his story went viral on social media, making him believe in himself and rise again.

He also lauded supporters who did a fundraiser for him through some of the shows that he has since started since he bought a new camera.

He stated that discussions are in progress with TV47 to schedule the exact date for him to return to the screens after putting pen to paper with the TV station.

Lolani also thanked his fans for believing in his work adding that he spent the money they contributed for him in acquiring equipment including a camera worth Sh370, 000.

Continue Reading

News

Eldoret’s Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients 

Published

on

BY KEVIN KOECH

The surge in COVID-19 cases outside Nairobi has now begun overwhelming hospitals in other counties, among them Moi Referral.

A report by the Standard said that the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret was getting overrun by COVID-19 patients.

Moi Teaching is the second-largest referral hospital in Kenya after Kenyatta National Hospital.

A doctor speaking to The Standard said that over the past two weeks, the hospital had witnessed a surge in COVID cases.

The facility also doubles up as a COVID-19 testing centre.

“The number of COVID-19 cases in MTRH is shocking. It is really sad witnessing patients in respiratory distress. This is so unfortunate,” the doctor, requesting anonymity, told The Standard.

The doctor also revealed that many of his colleagues were down with the virus, which has infected over 45,000 in Kenya.

The number of patients requiring high volumes of oxygen and ICU admission was rising, the doctor said. He also revealed that the hospital isolation wards were full.

Uasin Gishu has emerged as a county to watch as cases surged there in recent weeks.

Yesterday, the county tied with Nairobi, each reporting 116 cases.

The day before that, it came in third with 17 cases.

READ ALSO:   Nyakundi's son: Wife now wants husband set free over son’s killing

The area governor, Jackson Mandago, confirmed the fast spread of the virus in his county.

“The surge is real. The disease has spread and we have seen people that we know collapsing and dying, only to test positive for COVID-19 post-humously.” Mandago said.

The county recently buried Huruma MCA, Peter Chomba, who succumbed to the virus.

Indeed, residents in Uasin Gishu have lowered their guards completely.

Sources from the area indicate that people have completely discarded masks and are holding funerals and other large gatherings.

Continue Reading


poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2020 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!