Connect with us

News

VIDEO: What killed Jonathan Moi?

Published

on

A blow has befallen former President Daniel Arap Moi’s family after he lost a son, Jonathan Moi, who succumbed to cancer at a Nakuru hospital on Saturday, April 20.

Very few people, however, know much about his life as he had developed a tendency to keep his life low key despite the indomitable power that his family wields in the country.

Rally driver

According to reports, Jonathan was a revered rally driver in the country who received numerous awards and participated in various competitions including Caltex Equator Rally which was held in Nairobi Kenya. He drove a famous Toyota Celica. But did you know this, as told by Kumekucha Chris?

 

Before raising to the respectable status, however, the former rally driver had to ward off the negative press after reports hit the headlines that he had murdered a woman identified as Julie Ward back in September 1988.

Gideon Moi (left), Uhuru Kenyatta and Jonathan Moi on Kenyatta Day celebarations in 1980.

Julie Ward Murder

At the time, the first information of the Moi’s son involvement first originated from a Swiss TV crew before it spread to local headlines.

At the time, Ward, a young woman who had traveled into the country for a seven-month wildlife photography excursion, mysteriously disappeared in Kenya’s Masai Mara National Game Reserve.

Mzee Moi’s son Jonathan Moi drives a car.

According to a report by Citizen TV, her father, John Ward, was the first to sense her daughter’s disappearance and took the plane to the Mara in search of her.

READ ALSO:   VIDEO: Shock as Susan Njeri Thomi Kariuki, a Kenyan media entrepreneur in US, dies after short illness

Her father recounted finding remains of her body: the jaw and the lower left leg, that had been burnt, deep in the bushes of Maasai Mara.

The leg had also been chopped off by a blow from a panga or something sharp.

No one has, however, been convicted since the reports hit the headlines.

A Nairobi Law Monthly cover story by John Ward, the father of Julie ward, who gave details of her chilling murder.

1,000-acre Land Case

In May 1994, Jonathan was sacked into a land scandal after a company associated with him sold a 1,000 acre parcel of land that was reportedly part of Ngong Forest.

The land was allegedly sold to the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) pocketing a total of Ksh70 million which was a lot of money back then.

In 2017, the Kenya Forest Service gazetted the 1,000 acres as part of Ngong Forest which prompted Jonathan’s company to rush to court to protect the legality of the sale which they lost in 2018.

Former President Daniel Moi.

Elections Trial

In 2002, Jonathan tried his hand at politics when he vied for Eldama Ravine parliamentary seat but lost to Musa Sirma, his father’s long term ally. He reportedly quit after that and served as Gideon Moi’s advisor.

His son, Collins Moi, also hit the headlines in January this year he abandoned his girlfriend at a Kitale hotel.

Jonathan was also a renowned farmer.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Why you can’t have consensual gay sex in Kenya – High Court

Published

on

The High Court on Friday declined to decriminalise sections of the Penal Code that make it illegal to have consensual same sex in Kenya.

Judges Roselyn Aburili, Chacha Mwita and John Mativo noted that phrases used in the law are clear and disclose offences known in law.

They further said a statute is not rendered vague for lack of a definition and that the petitioners failed to prove discrimination and violation of rights.

THE LAW

Petitioners wanted the court to quash sections 162 and 165 of the Penal Code.

The law states that a person contravening the sections, whether in public or private, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for five years.

 

Section 162 reads: “Any person who – (a) has carnal knowledge of any person against the order of nature; or (b) has carnal knowledge of an animal; or (c) permits a male person to have carnal knowledge of him or her against the order of nature, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

Section 165 reads that any male person who, whether in public or private, commits any act of gross indecency with another male person, or procures another male person to commit any act of gross indecency with him, or attempts to procure the commission of any such act by any male person with himself or with another male person, whether in public or private, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for five years.

READ ALSO:   Family of visiting Kenyan professor explains how he drowned at a Florida lake

ARGUMENTS

The petitioners argue that the State has no business regulating matters of intimacy; they told the judges that gay feelings are natural and that the State should not interfere with the private matters of two consenting adults.

It is their argument that the two sections are discriminatory and contravene various provisions of the Constitution such as the right to equality, freedom from discrimination, human dignity, freedom, security and privacy.

However, religious groups say such matters should be guided by the country’s values.

President Uhuru Kenyatta has said in the past that gay rights are a “non-issue” in Kenya, as same-sex relations are not an issue of human rights, but of “our own base as a culture”.

During a visit to Kenya in 2015, Barack Obama, the then US president, directly challenged Mr Kenyatta, on the need for equality for the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) community, suggesting that “bad things happen” when countries do not accept their citizens’ right to be homosexual.

Mr Kenyatta bluntly shut down Mr Obama’s discussion on gay rights terming it “a non-issue” and that Kenya is not keen on embracing homosexuality.

NATION.CO.KE

Continue Reading

News

Waititu mum on alleged family’s hand in Kiambu graft probe

Published

on

Besieged Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu has left the public guessing on the alleged involvement of his family members in theft of millions of shillings from the county coffers.

The governor, who is accused of presiding over the alleged loss of close to Sh600 million, has neither denied nor admitted claims that his daughters did business with the county.

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has accused him of conflict of interest after it emerged that some of his relatives got tenders.

“Preliminary investigations show that contractors paid monies to senior county officials, their companies or relatives through proxies,” the statement reads in part.

But in an interview with the Nation on Thursday evening after his release from police custody, Mr Waititu said “anybody is free do business with the county government of Kiambu”.

“I want to state clearly that any Kenyan has a right to do business with the county government of Kiambu so long as he or she is qualified,” he said without elaborating further.

Unconfirmed reports had said that one of Mr Waititu’s daughters was among the 15 people being targeted in the ongoing investigations by the EACC detectives.

The outspoken governor, popularly known as Baba Yao, is also being investigated over alleged corruption in a number of his county programmes, including ‘Kaa Sober’, which was aimed at rehabilitating alcoholics.

READ ALSO:   VIDEOS: Mzungus not welcome to take political leadership in Kenya - Moi

The initiative was said to have gobbled close to Sh700 million before it was terminated.

His arrest on Thursday came hours after the Kiambu County Assembly rushed and passed a supplementary budget in which it approved an expenditure of Sh722 million under the controversial programme.

The approval of the budget was widely seen as a scheme to regularise the controversial expenditure in which millions of shillings are suspected to have been stolen.

Mr Waititu was released after being granted Sh500,000 anticipatory bail.

Kiambu Principal Magistrate Brian Khaemba ordered the governor to present himself alongside his lawyers to a police station.

source:nation.co.ke

Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Machakos First Lady ‘Tetema’ dance moves leave Kenyans asking for more

Published

on

Machakos County First Lady Lilian Ng’ang’a has excited the online community after showing off her dancing skills during a meeting with students.

Lilian, dressed in a flowered green dress, put her best foot forward as she jammed to Tanzanian bongo star Rayvanny’s hit song ‘Tetema’.

In her speech, she urged the students to embrace their talents in addition to fulfilling their academic dreams.

The online community had a lot to say about her dancing skills, with a section expressing their disappointment for her underwhelming dance moves.

“NTV do you even know what dancing is, this is like a pliers fitted in a trouser, very rigid and dry,” said Killy Emmanuel.

“Leave alone mutua thing. The mama in black skirt is doing the real tetema,” wrote Innocent Favoured Nzola.

“The only thing ina tetema hapo ni salary Na allowances,” commented Abdul Aziz Mohammed.

“Sijaona mtu anadance hapo labda anafanya mashoweshi,” stated patience Ashley.

“Am not a good dancer but I can do better than this,” added Ann Karanu.

READ ALSO:   Anglican priest ‘busted’ at city lodging with married woman dies
Continue Reading
poapay3

Like us on Facebook, stay informed

NEWS TRENDING RIGHT NOW

2019 Calendar

satellite-communication1.jpg

Trending

error: Content is protected !!